Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5th Gen Leads

Default 5th Gen Leads

Quite simply, what do you think will be good leads in Gen. 5?

One I thought of was Gigaiasu.

Gigaiasu @ Lum Berry
    Sturdy
    252 HP, 252 Att, 6 Spd

~Stealth Rock
    ~Explosion
    ~Earthquake
    ~Stone Edge

Of course, just theorymon. Just chose this because it looked similar to a Gen. 4 lead

Gigaiasu has very nice HP, Att, and Def, and access to Stealth Rock (no longer a TM, but still able to be transferred from gen. 4 Pokemon iirc) and Explosion. It also gets nice coverage coming from EdgeQuake, and the ability Sturdy as a free Focus Sash, allowing it to run another item.

TEAM WALRUS

FC: 4984-8906-1424

Spoiler:- OSL Badges/ Credit:

Consider Custap Berry on that lead so you can rock+boom if your "sash" is broken. The real problem with lead Gigaisu is it's easy to Taunt. But then again, it hits damn hard, so.

Damp Swampert will be awesome.

Credit to Skiyomi for the awesome banner. Thanks Skiyomi!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/nextneil...5?feature=mhum

User is a confimed user of hacked pokemon/items.

http://twitter.com/headphones_69

Quote Originally Posted by Viva la Vida View Post
    Damp Swampert would be awesome.
    Fixed. Sadly DampPert doesn't get Rocks since it isn't a TM this gen. I actually believe the lead metagame will not change as much as the rest of the metagame since few new pokes learn SR so lead duties will likely fall on older pokes. Sturdy + Custap leads might be a fad for a while but I doubt it will stick. Some new pokes might do well as anti-leads, possibly Shanderaa who could guarantee a KO against several things and is immune to Explosion. Volt Change might also get some use on leads like U-Turn did. The only thing I can see that would largely impact leads this gen would be the lack of a reliable way to block Rapid Spin. SR might not be as important now considering they have an item which can ignore type immunities preventing Ghosts from spin blocking if something has this item. Also Rotom-A not being Ghost anymore doesn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli
    The user above is me, a major sleazy wh0re!!

Sturdy + Custap fails to priority that is common in leads. Its cool, but not revolutionary.

The 145 base speed seems like a very interesting lead-it gets Spikes, it's fast enough to evade Taunt, Sticky Hold to prevent Trick, and U-Turn to scout with. Thinking something along the lines of Bug Buzz/U-Turn/Spikes/Protect?@Focus Sash. Lack of Taunt is rather disappointing though ): It learns Encore too, but I don't think it's legal with Spikes, unfortunately.

Also, the ice cream learns Ice Shard, Taunt, and Explosion, along with having good overall stats. I probably wouldn't pay it much attention if I didn't love it to bits, but Ice Beam/Ice Shard/Taunt/Explosion@Focus Sash/Life Orb could make a decent anti-lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0nut View Post
    The only thing I can see that would largely impact leads this gen would be the lack of a reliable way to block Rapid Spin. SR might not be as important now considering they have an item which can ignore type immunities preventing Ghosts from spin blocking if something has this item. Also Rotom-A not being Ghost anymore doesn't help.
    That item was tested and was found not to immediately let you hit through type immunities. It may have some sort of trigger, or it does something else entirely.

Erufuun @ Leftovers
    Ability: Mischievous Heart
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Nature: Impish (+Def, - SpAtk)
    - Taunt
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute
    - U-Turn / Encore

Stops every single SR, Double Screen and Set-Up lead 100% of the time. It can U-Turn out against most offensive leads or set up a Sub first. The only leads it has problems with are leads such as Metagross and Heatran, who can both set up or go on the offense. Even mid or late game, this Pokémon can get back in to start the SubSeed stalling.
    Encore could be used over U-Turn to Encore stat-up moves, although you will have to be careful when switching in. If Stealth Rock isn't a big deal for your team, you could also use Encore over Taunt to gain immediate momentum.

Legend of Zelda: Hoenn Adventures is currently dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Smile Guy View Post
    He didn't win the argument, he was just more stubborn than you were.

Quote Originally Posted by bonslet View Post
    That item was tested and was found not to immediately let you hit through type immunities. It may have some sort of trigger, or it does something else entirely.
    Yea I found that out recently. I think the item actually makes it to where type immunities are ignored for the holder (e.g. a Ghost holding this could be hit by Normal and Fighting moves.) If this is the case the only practical use for the item would be using Trick + Rapid Spin to act as a pseudo Foresight to spin against Ghosts. This might be useable on Starmie as it can let it spin on Ghosts or if it Tricks a Swampert it could hit it with Thunderbolt. It isn't quite the deathblow to stall most people initially thought it was but it still might have its uses.

While I don't think that Sturdy+Custap leads are going to be the new standard, I think they will be useful. I'm not exactly sure how the new lead metagame will be, but out of the top 25 leads of August in OU, Machamp, Infernape, Metagross, Dragonite, and Ambipom carry priority (there's also Smeargle, but...). These are all popular, and they will all kill the strategy. On the other hand, there are plenty of other leads that a Sturdy+Custap lead could take advantage of.

Overall, the Gigaiasu lead will be better off with Lum Berry. And I really like that Agirudaa lead that Bonslet mentioned. Looks like a really potent Spiker.

Well Dream World abilities can officially be bred.

At first I was excited for Damp Stealth Rock Swampert until I realized Mudkip can't learn Stealth Rock..

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Well Dream World abilities can officially be bred.

At first I was excited for Damp Stealth Rock Swampert until I realized Mudkip can't learn Stealth Rock..
    Oh, cool. This means that you can breed Dragon Dance onto Salamence with Overconfidence. Awesome. Sadly DampPert still won't get Rocks since it can't be bred on Mudkip and it was only a past gen TM. Still nice to know this since it answers a lot of legality questions about Dream World abilities.

Also, though its unrelated, it appears Swimming Goggles are fake. So much for Hydro Pump/ Thunder/ Blizzard/ Trick Starmie...

I'm glad. I really don't want to face Swimming Goggles Aerodactyl with Sleep Talk / Dragon Tail (60 BP Dragon move with Roar effect).

I see something in this...

Donphan @ Liechi Berry (if I am right, I mean the attack pinch :P)
    Sturdy
    Adamant, 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Ice Shard

Sets up Rocks, is able to spin them away, can do a LOT of damage with Liechie being activated and because of access to priority you're ensured to do [i]something[i] to anyone.
    ~ Reinier

Quote Originally Posted by FoldingScreen View Post
    imo MixPedo could work here

Chirachiino @ Choice Scarf
    Skill Link
    Adamant nature, 252 Atk / idk how much speed EVs it needs.
    ~ Sweep Slap
    ~ Rock Blast
    ~ Knock Off
    ~ U-turn
    Sweep Slap owns sashers. Rock Blast is coverage and owns sashers too. Knock Off owns Custap. U-turn is coverage for when facing Metagross or the likes. I see a very good lead in this, whatever turn the 5th competitive play will get.
    ~ Reinier

Quote Originally Posted by FoldingScreen View Post
    imo MixPedo could work here

After watching some Youtube videos, it seems common antileads will be Scarfed Hihidaruma and Zoroark.

Credit to Skiyomi for the awesome banner. Thanks Skiyomi!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/nextneil...5?feature=mhum

User is a confimed user of hacked pokemon/items.

http://twitter.com/headphones_69

Skarm can take a hit with sturdy and set up sr reliably though you will have to run shed shell to escape shandeera.
    Ladder Peaks
    1v1-1/Standard Ubers-2/Standard OU-7/CAP-1/Dream World Ubers-1
    AKA Plusle on Smogon--Member of Team Serebii for Forum Invatational

[IMG]http://i55.*******.com/15mb492.gif[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Credit:

Mixed Dragonite beats most other leads with Draco Meteor / Earthquake / Fire Blast / Aqua Jet (to KO Heatran so it can't Explode and 2HKO Aerodactyl). Dragonite's ability doubles his defense as long as he has full health, letting his terrorize teams that set up rocks instead of attacking.

*Moved to the 5th gen competitive forum* along with a bunch of other threads x)
    3DS FC : 2509-2166-4408

This may seem like a bizarre lead, but, I enjoy to think outside of the box.
    Tsunbeaa
    Adamant at Choice Band
    252 Attack; 124 Defense; 124 Special Defense; 8 HP
    Avalanche
    Night Slash
    Super Power
    Stone Edge
    An Ice-type lead in OU? What are with these shananigins? Well, believe it my friends, I'm planning on using it. Why? It will be fantastic at bringing down the several new dragons of this generation, it can also stop Sand Storm teams in their tracks, thanks to Super Power, which will be useful in bringing down Tyranitar. Night Slash deals with those bothersome Azelf leads. And Stone Edge helps with things that (while not as popular as leads) are quite popular, including Gyrados. With Tsunbeaa's miserable speed, it would be quite pointless to invest speed EVs, considering that it wouldn't make a signifcant impact on him. Actually NOT investing the speed EVs aids him, becuase it increases Avalanches power (Considering he'll be going last a majority of the time)
    Of course, all of this could fall through and I could end up looking like a moron, because of a metagame which will be far diffrent then predicted.
    Of course, that's not to say I'm not a moron anyway. XD XD
    R.I.P. Pseudos Legend Clan. We lost you 10/10/10.

Nattorei
    Impish or Careful
    Steel Thorns
    Leftovers
    Explosion
    Gyro Ball
    Spikes
    Stealth Rock

With as high of defensive stats as he has we should be able to remain in play for a good amount of time. As long as your not going against a fire type lead. This guy is slow as can be, but with as high of defensive stats as it has it doesn't really need speed. If it can set up at least one stealth rock and one spikes then explode i will be very happy.

I for one am planning to use a Magic Mirror Espeon to bounce Stealth Rock/Status back at the opponent's lead. Not too sure on a moveset just yet but I think a Sub/CM/Baton Pass or Sub/CM/2 attacks set will work just fine. If what I heard about DW abilities being breedable then I'll switch calm mind for Wish instead. Of course, faster leads, priority moves and suicide leads will be a problem but I think that as long as I see it coming I can switch to something that can take the hit or force them to switch the next turn.

And, if Espeon leads get too obvious in whatever tier it lands in, I can use a Zoroark to pretend it's the Espeon lead. Zoroark could potentially take out their lead or, even better, make them switch to their Ghost type or Pursuit mon and take that out, leaving Espeon able to block status even in the middle of the game and maybe even allow it to run a sweeper set instead of a Sub/Calm Mind/Wish passer, though I think a sweeper set would be outclassed by the crazy Special Attackers running around this gen (run on sentences ftw).

I love Espeon and Zoroark in case you couldn't already tell

Has anyone here seen the thread over at Smogon? It mentioned that you can see the opponent's team before a battle over wi-fi or local wireless. There is a strong possibility that Shoddy will adhere to this as well. So, there may not even be a lead metagame or a need to scout because of this.
    3DS Friend Code
    1950-8676-5817

My anti-lead would be something like this, I guess that its just going to be a gimmick lead but I'll post it anyways.

Sableye @ Focus Sash
    Mischeavous Heart (Non-attacking moves have priority)
    252 HP / 252 Def
    Moves:
    - Taunt
    - Metal Burst
    - Will-0-Wisp/Toxic
    -

Sableye's movepool is really shallow. So the only reason I made this was the Mischeavous Heart + Taunt = priority taunting the opponent. Fake Out, Explosion and Mach Punch are (still) no problem for him, all moves that were common on leads. You could also throw in a Recovery for priority abuse, or maybe a substitute but Sableye will be pretty useless after it's done taunting.

Sableye does also know Fake Out to do some extra damage too, to add to that set. It's free damage that will flinch the enemy and you can use two attacks in a row before the enemy can do anything. Anyway, Metal Burst there is...Waste. (Just to make a note, Sableye is my favorite Pokemon but wouldn't work THAT soon...I think He works better mid-game when you already know a bit the strategy of your opponent and can predict some moves. If not it's killing him without making a good use of Mischievous Heart)

I was thinking that a good lead would be Dasutodasu (The Garbage Pokemon). He can put some Toxic Spikes and knows Explosion as well. Can't work out well with Swampert, but has Solar Beam to balance out. Gunk Shot (120 Base Damage) is also cool to have just to annoy.

I also like Desukan there, but would mean all the strategy around abilities go to waste. I think it's good for late game, not that soon. (However for people that like fast and awful surprises, I think it will be a common)

Rankurusu would be awesome with Dustproof because seems that Weather Teams will be all over the game. Heal Block, Wonder Room, Telekinesis and Psychic can be most troublesome than some would think. Sucks his LAME speed, but can do some serious issues with Wonder Room+Psychic due the fact that Sp.Def Pokemon are not that common.

Shubarugo is also cool because it only has serious issues with Fire Pokemon (I ignore how common they are lately) and can make also damage. Again, LAME speed that are not suited for lead pokes.

So, if we need a Pokemon with decent speed and not so many weakness we have Denchura, which can be a surprise. Signal Beam STAB with Confuse probability doesn't sound bad with 97 of SpAtk. It also knows Gastro Acid to avoid having to deal with troublesome abilities and Tension can really bug your enemy.
    It's the one I would use, honestly. I like the moveset and looks incredible cool. 8D

PS: I will pass mention Shibirudon with no weakness and Aianto because I don't like them :P

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSaint View Post
    I for one am planning to use a Magic Mirror Espeon to bounce Stealth Rock/Status back at the opponent's lead.
    Has it been confirmed that it bounces back SR? All I heard was that it was like Magic Coat, which doesn't work on entry hazards.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast