Thread: Is Imprison actually useful?

Default Is Imprison actually useful?

I was just considering how they decided to make one of the special "Winner's Path" Pokemon a Duskull with Imprison. Considering the Winner's Path gave strong Pokemon with useful moves (Trick Room for Bronzong and Physical Flying STAB for Gyarados) why did they give Dusknoir Imprison? I'm certainly no expert in competitive baattling, but Imprison seems pretty useless to me. What are the odds you're going to encounter a Pokemon with the same moves as you?

So my question is, does Imprison actually have any use, or is it just a waster of a moveslot?
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

It's a waste of a slot. It can be helpful, if you run into the same exact pokemon. But it's pretty dumb.

I saw a few videos of VGC Battles where Imprision did work. Stopping Trick Room, Taunt etc.

Otherwise, it isn't really any help.
    I have claimed Tangrowth.
    He's all mine now, hands off.

It's useless except for one move: earthquake. You see earthquake all the time.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Looking for more secret bases! Message me your QR code, and I'll send you back mine.

Looking for that extremespeed linoone with adamant or jolly (when it comes out). If you're gonna get one, I'd appreciate it. I can clone it if needed.
    I'm willing to sell my soul for it

Useless in singles, but good in doubles, where it can stop Protect/Detect/Explosion/Etc.

Well, the Winner's Path one is useless, but if you breed Imprison into a Duskull in RSE, then give it Mimic, you've just removed a potential killer move.
    This is mah nuzlocke run. c: Credit goes to Taro for the banner.

It would be useful if 1) you put it on a pokemon who's soul purpose is to play in doubles and 2) you give it the most popular moves that are used in doubles like surf, earthquake, protect, etc

It can be fun on lead Uxie... where you can imprision their Stealth Rocks, then U-Turn away/set your own rocks as they switch.

It's one of those moves that rarely are useful, but they do their job very well if that happens.

Honestly, I'd love to see this move used on a Choiced Poke and see how the opponent reacts.

"Yeah, I could've used Torment. But no, you just got IMPRISONED."

;D

Sometimes I wish for falling
    Wish for the release
    Wish for falling through the air
    To give me some relief
    Because falling's not the problem
    When I'm falling I'm in peace
    It's only when I hit the ground
    It causes all the grief

-Florence and the Machine

SBF Symbols | Legacy League Badges

I'm going to say it again, in singles, it's basically nothing more than a gimmick (although as mentioned, it's gimmicky but somewhat viable on lead uxie and stuff like that, though in OU trickscarf or dual screens are the main leads i'd run with Uxie) but is, for the most part, an inferior Torment. Which isn't that great a move in general, especially considering that Tormentran is basically a gimmick (I've literally seen one good tormentran team, and that was Phil's).

In doubles, Imprison/Protect/Explosion/Filler is basically a really good moveset, and there are entire teams based around that strategy (eliminate ghosts and steels, then go boom).

Running Imprision on competitive pokemon is completely pointless. I mean, what is the chance of meeting a pokemon having the same moves as you? And even if you DO lock their moves, they will still have other moves to beat you.
    I'm tired of signatures...

Imprison/Mimic sounds like a good combo, but if you do it, you're just wasting two move slots to stop one move.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.