Page 133 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 4603

Thread: Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    ^Max out defense, with the calm mind boost it can become a mixed wall, and they will be easy to set up with moonlight.

Focus sash is better on faster pokemon. I'd say sitrus berry or maybe rocky helmet.
    Ooo. I like that so how bout this.

Musharna@ Sitrus Berry
    Nature: Sassy (It's shiny and I really wanna use it so I'm not changing the nature.)
    EVs: +252 HP +252 Def +4 SP Def
    Ability: Telepathy

Calm Mind
    Moonlight
    Baton Pass
    Stored Power

So now with max defense it's doubtful Musharna will be OHKO'd but it will do hefty damage. So the Sitrus Berry heals it up so the turn it takes the damage It can heal up and use Calm Mind then the next it can use Moonlight or maybe Baton Pass.
    3DS Friend Code: 2895-7887-7462
    I live in Eastern Time (GMT -4)

Musharna@Big Root
    Telepathy - Sassy
    252 HP - 252 Sp.Def - 4 Sp.Atk/252 Sp.Def - 252 Sp.Atk - 4 Def
    -Trick Room
    -Helping Hand
    -Hypnosis
    -Dream Eater

A Musharna intended to use with Gravity. As it is the only pokemon to get Helping Hand and Telepathy, its true potential is unleashed in this environment. Trick Room to reverse speed, Helping Hand to give your teammates some insane damage (Normal Gem Explosion Lickilicky?), Hypnosis to put your opponents to sleep, and it won't miss because of Gravity, and Dream Eater for recovery. Also, no one expects Dream Eater anymore, and it can net a surprise KO on pokemon weak to it like Hitmontop or Gengar. EVs give Musharna maximum resilience to special attacks. Its Def must be covered by another teammate or a WoW user.

Zweilous@Life Orb/Eviolite
    Brave - Hustle
    252 Atk - 252 HP - 4 Def
    -Dragon Rush
    -Crunch/Fire Fang
    -Head Smash
    -Fire Fang/Protect

Sweet Arceus! Do NOT face this thing under Gravity. Hustle sounds meager, but when Gravity has removed the inaccuracy, watch out. Dragon Rush sounds bad, but trust me, Gravity makes it look like Fire Blast. By the way, Dragon Rush from this thing obliterates. Crunch a little less. Head Smash oh God Head Smash. Good luck living that. Fire Fang eats Steels that it can't hit. Protect is mainly what I use in Doubles. It's an option.

i really like that zweilous set. i don't think you need to change anything on that set.

Crobat@Toxic Orb
    Nat: jolly
    Inner Focus
    252spd/252atk/4hp
    moves:

-Fling
    - U-turn
    - Confuse Ray
    - mean look

1. Mean Look to hold your opp. 2. Confuse ray for Fling setup. 3. Fling TO to poison. 4. U-turn quick as **** and get outta there!
    "Feel the power of our aura!"
    "There are trainers who train and trainers who keep training. Which are you?"

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SDef/ 0 Spd IV
    Nature: Sassy
    Gyro Ball
    Power Whip
    Leech Seed/ Protect/ Bulldoze/ Spikes/ Stealth Rock
    Curse

Ferrothorn has amazing bulk and decent attack, so I made a set to work with those stats. Curse is the crux of the set boosting the thorn's massive defense and decent attack, and the speed drop helps Gyro Ball's power. The EVs maximize special bulk as Curse improves both physical stats. Power Whip and Gyro Ball are for STAB with high power but somewhat poor coverage. The last move is a puzzler. Bulldoze can help with Steel Types and might OHKO a fire type with prediction. Stealth Rock and Spikes are considerable, but remember that Ferrothorn is busy with setting up. Leech Seed is helpful with healing, but again Ferrothorn should be concerned with setting up. Protect can scout for threats and stall for a healing turn.
    I am a roleplayer. I have fun hanging out in the RP section of the forums. If you have a problem with that then I invite you to dance forever.

Looking for advice for a tournament. This is for 1v1. EVs, movesets, held items, etc... cannot be changed. The rules are:

Focus Sash, Focus Band, choice items, and Eviolite are banned.
    Sleep inducing moves are completely banned. Rest and Effect Spore are fine.
    Evasion/Self KO/Moody/OHKO clause
    Speed Boost Blaziken is banned
    And basically anyone who was considered uber at one point or another,all legendaries and several pseudo-legends are banned.

I'm currently breeding Togepis in Heart Gold so I can take advantage of some of the move tutors and TMs in Gen 4 and because I don't think I need any Gen 5 exclusive moves.

Togekiss w/Leftovers (Female)
    Calm (+SpD,- Atk)/Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    Serene Grace
    252 HP/36 Sp Atk/220 Special Defense
    - Thunder Wave
    - Air Slash
    - Heat Wave/Water Pulse
    - Hyper Beam/Attract/Roost/

In these gimmicky 1v1 tournaments, I like to play more defensively since it seems to give me some better odds against the opponent. Playing up hyper offense, you can pretty much tell if you win or lose the moment you come out.

Thunder Wave and Air Slash are the obvious Para-Flinch moves.

I think Heat Wave is going to end up somewhere in my list just so I can handle the odd Steel type.

The final slot is a bit tricky. STAB Hyper Beam can hit hard in 1v1 and that's the only reason I'm even considering it.

Attract is fairly gimmicky but could be used to annoy.

Roost could give me some life especially if I end up against an Ice or Electric type.

I'm mainly dumping the 36 in Sp Atk evs so I at least hit something a bit hard.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/pokerules.png/
    Last edited by randomspot555; 4th November 2011 at 10:02 PM.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

take off Water Pulse and Hyper Beam. the best option for a Togekiss set is to put Aura Sphere / Air Slash / Thunder Wave / Roost. this set provides you great coverage, and you almost always kill pokémon without losing too much HP.

but if you want a Fire type move on your set, you should definitely put Flamethrower over Heat Wave. it has almost the same power and better accuracy.

^I'm not sure using togekiss is the best option. Offense is really the only thing you should use for 1vs1(besides whimsicott). Para flinch works better with team support. Here's an example of paraflinch togekiss in 1vs1.

Togekiss vs Lucario

Turn 1:

Lucario used Close Combat! Togekiss fainted.

yup. I would use something better that togekiss in 1 vs 1.

New Bible Verse of the Week: Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.

lol Pichu. You've got a point, seeing that lucario has inner focus. If you want a defensive/defensive counterer, look at Desukaan, snorlax; wat kind of main defense are you looking at randomspot555?

^Yes, and i bet Lucario is pretty common too. Off the top of my head, (whatever that means) here's a list of pokes i think could be good for 1 vs 1. Alakazam, Gengar, Darmanitan, Archeops, Dragonite, Conkuldurrrrrr, Yanmega, Sharpedo, haxorus, etc. Basically anything pretty fast and super-powered will work. I think Dragonite is the best option personally.

Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.

Same. It could depend on who you want to use though. RU, UU, OU, NU, etc.
    For example, they may b expecting a heavy hitting physical gyarados or dragonite or garchomp. You send in a sp. Hydreigon and throw your opp off. hm?

Yanmega can be a troll with Protect. no other pokémon outspeeds him when he receives a boost. not even scarfed ones.

I didn't explicitly pointed out, but every single Legendary Pokemon is banned from this tournament, along with any Pokemon that has or is in the uber tier (Wobbuffet, Wyanut, Salamence, Garchomp) and several of the more notable pseudo-legends (Dragonite, Metagross).

I certainly agree that Gengar is something to be prepared for. When this group I play in did a 1v1 Gen 4 tournament, Gengar was used by half the people. But Gengar has changed in Gen 5. Disable is now more common, Hypnosis is still down at 60% so the threat of Thunderbolt isn't as big as it used to be. Disable still presents a challenge, but unlike a lot of Pokemon, Togekiss has several attacks that Gengar can be hit by and Disable Gengar usually only has Shadow Ball (immune) and Focus Blast (shaky accuracy, low PP, not SE).

There's a link to the rules.

So given that you now see the rules a bit more clearly than waht I outlined before, what would you all suggest?
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

^I thinks that archeops with flying gem will be a beast. Flying resist is rare, no stealth rocks, and not too many steel types to resist it. I think Archeops with Acrobatics, Stone Edge, Earthquake, *filler*, will be awesome. I Would suggest quick attack for the last slot, but with focus sash banned, it wouldn't be that useful.

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Looking for advice for a tournament. This is for 1v1. EVs, movesets, held items, etc... cannot be changed. The rules are:

Focus Sash, Focus Band, choice items, and Eviolite are banned.
    Sleep inducing moves are completely banned. Rest and Effect Spore are fine.
    Evasion/Self KO/Moody/OHKO clause
    Speed Boost Blaziken is banned
    And basically anyone who was considered uber at one point or another,all legendaries and several pseudo-legends are banned.

I'm currently breeding Togepis in Heart Gold so I can take advantage of some of the move tutors and TMs in Gen 4 and because I don't think I need any Gen 5 exclusive moves.

Togekiss w/Leftovers (Female)
    Calm (+SpD,- Atk)/Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    Serene Grace
    252 HP/36 Sp Atk/220 Special Defense
    - Thunder Wave
    - Air Slash
    - Heat Wave/Water Pulse
    - Hyper Beam/Attract/Roost/

In these gimmicky 1v1 tournaments, I like to play more defensively since it seems to give me some better odds against the opponent. Playing up hyper offense, you can pretty much tell if you win or lose the moment you come out.

Thunder Wave and Air Slash are the obvious Para-Flinch moves.

I think Heat Wave is going to end up somewhere in my list just so I can handle the odd Steel type.

The final slot is a bit tricky. STAB Hyper Beam can hit hard in 1v1 and that's the only reason I'm even considering it.

Attract is fairly gimmicky but could be used to annoy.

Roost could give me some life especially if I end up against an Ice or Electric type.

I'm mainly dumping the 36 in Sp Atk evs so I at least hit something a bit hard.

1v1? Rock a CB Scizor

Adamant 252 Atk 148 HP 96 Sp. Def. 12 Speed
    -Bullet Pawnch
    -Bug Bite
    -Super Power
    -Pursuit

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

^If you read the rules, choice items are banned. And why would you use pursuit for one vs one??

Quote Originally Posted by Dragin990 View Post
    Crobat@Toxic Orb
    Nat: jolly
    Inner Focus
    252spd/252atk/4hp
    moves:

-Fling
    - U-turn
    - Confuse Ray
    - mean look

1. Mean Look to hold your opp. 2. Confuse ray for Fling setup. 3. Fling TO to poison. 4. U-turn quick as **** and get outta there!
    U-turn cancels mean look, doesn't it?

And why use fling once when you can use toxic multiple times?
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My signature sucks.

a great pokémon for 5th 1x1 is Rotom-W. he only has one weakness and he has a great movepool. he has access to Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp and Hydro Pump (which is the best of the "Rotom exclusives moves"). i've already won some 1x1 tournaments with him, it's a very nice choice.

no, mean look traps yur opponent. it doesnt prevent the user from switching, but I'm thinking......does mean look's effect cancel if the user switches or only when they faint. (leech seed for example)

^Yes, if mean look didn't stop taking effect when you switched out, it would be insanely broken. Umbreon had a niche last gen because he could baton pass mean looks, but now he can't.

well, what do you guys think about this Serperior?

Serperior @ Life Orb
    Abilty: Contrary
    Nature: Modest
    EV's: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    (-O-) Leaf Storm
    (-O-) Giga Drain
    (-O-) Attract
    (-O-) Hidden Power [Rock]

Leaf Storm raises Serperior's SpA two stages because of Contrary. Giga Drain recovers the damage taken from Life Orb almost completely after a few boosts, and Hidden Power [Rock] takes out all the types that have an advantage over Serperior. some people say that Hidden Power [Ice] is better, because it also takes out Dragons, but i don't think so. with Hidden Power [Rock] Serperior kills Bug, Fire, Flying and Ice, leaving only weakness against Poison, which is not a very common type. i prefer taking out 4 types than only Dragon. Serperior's speed is great, so i don't think it's necessary to raise it with a Timid nature. even though some may think Attract is a noob move, it works pretty well with this set. it's better than Glare, because the enemy only has 50% chance of moving, while Paralyze leaves an 30% chance of not moving.

^I recomend using timid. Also, serperior has zero movepool, and you are basically going to use leaf storm against everything, so hp rock is realy only useful for volcarona. I would use hp ice. Lastly, ANYTHING>attract. Leech Seed could work. Serperior really isn't that great.

nope. seriously, Attract works perfectly with this set because it gives Serperior lots o rounds to boost it's SpA with Leaf Storm. you really should test it. hey, do you have Pokémon Online (the battle simulator)?

The Attract metagame has taken a bit of a twist since Entry Hazards got more focus. On a online battle sim like PO, Attract is more practical as most players tend to forget the genders of their pokemon when constructing them. Trainers have abused this by unleashing Rivalry pokemon onto unprepared teams, like Haxorus.

However, it's because of this that genders have been more focused on because of a careless Rivalry sweep. Defensive pokemon now HAVE to be female to save themselves from the wrath of Rivalry pokemon, since Rivalry also hinders attack against opposite sex pokemon. This is where we are now.

If you intend to use Attract seriously, take advantage of the switches it'll cause. Entry hazards like Spikes and Stealth Rock impede the switching game and will cause frustration if the opponent is unlucky enough to have an all male team. Of course, there's the rare female that'll mess up your Attract switching, but maybe if you had a female pokemon with Rivalry to take care of that...

But the point is. Attract forces switches. Abuse that. And be prepared. :U

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb / Hydration
    EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam / Acid Armor / Blizzard / Hidden Power [Electric]

I'd like a Wish passer for my team; I don't care who it is, I just want someone that can pass fairly sizable Wishes. Vaporeon seems like a natural choice given its high HP. I have a few qualms about her though.

1. She would be replacing a member of an already existing team, and that team is not weather driven. She would not be a part of a rain team, so any rain support she'd get would come from the enemy. Will this cripple her too much? Additionally, should I go for Water Absorb or Hydration?

2. The EVs and nature balance her Defense and Special Defense at 234 a piece, so she is perfectly balanced defensively. The HP gives her an odd number in her HP. Does this sound good?

3. For the last move, what would help her coverage the most? I have them prioritized, but I think Ice Beam would work best. Acid Armor would help her boost her already good Defense, Blizzard is just more powerful, and Hidden Power [Electric] would be really good, but it would make breeding her really hard. Should I just go for Ice Beam?

Page 133 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183 ... LastLast