Page 175 of 185 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,375 of 4603

Thread: Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Who cares, the point is that he can be used in OU effectively.

Yeah, so don't let it get hit by those moves. It has three weaknesses (and absolutely enough defenses in Sandstorm to tank the Water one) but also 10 resistances and in sand the equivalent of 70/180/99 defenses.
    Aggron's a great Pokemon, but when a random Earthquake comes along, he's OHKO'd, even with his 180 base Defense. I'd use an Autotomize set in OU, especially if it had Sand support. Problem is, Infernape, Breloom, and Conkeldurr are incredibly common in OU, and all OHKO with STAB Close Combat / 2HKO with either SubPunch or two Mach Punchs.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

So is Gigalith. Also lol none of those Pokemon can switch in on a CB Head Smash (not even Breloom). There are a LOT of Pokemon Aggron can switch in on in a sandstorm.

Abomasnow, Blissey, Celebi, Chansey, Cloyster (barring water moves), Deoxys-D, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Genesect, Latias, Magnezone, and Skarmory. Not to mention the many Choiced Pokemon it can come in on, and things like Jellicent it can sort of take on even at some risk to itself. Obviously you switch out of things with fighting / ground moves

Also Automize is ok, but its way too slow. It hits what, ~400 Speed? most Choice Scarf Pokemon will still outrun it

I'll try him in a Sandstorm team. I've been meaning to make one for a while now anyways.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Honestly, I'd just go with a CB Aggron set in OU. Autotomize is cool, but you max out at just 436 speed. This leaves you beaten by Adamant Scarf Haxorus and everything faster, which kinda stinks. With a CB set, you can just spam Head Smash and beat a few other things that BH outlined with coverage moves. You're still hitting a bit weaker overall than Gigalith with non-STAB moves due to the Atk difference, but you do have a bit more physical bulk for taking random non-SE moves, as well as a bit more speed. With max speed an an Adamant nature, you can beat minimum speed Gyarados and everything slower, which is useful.

Still, Aggron is like Gigalith in that it has a small niche for just hitting stuff ridiculously hard, but it's not going to be a prime choice for a team more often that not.

Quote Originally Posted by thedarklord2155 View Post
    so, i love meloetta. it has unique typing, great stats, and can even change at will. unfortunately, in its aria forme, it has mediocre speed that lets it down. so, i made a set that focuses on its good points and can fix the speed issues.

Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Nature: Modest (+ SpA/- atk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
    Moveset:
    -Substitute
    -Psyshock/Psychic
    -HP Ice/HP Fire
    -Thunderbolt/Thunder/Energy Ball/Filler

This is a Bulkier Meloetta set, which capitalizes on her Special bulk. Her SpA isn't too shabby either, but unfortunately, she has speed issues. therefore, no speed investment. instead, 252 hp and max SpA are all it needs. the last 4 evs go into def, so an opposing genesect will gain a SpA boost instead, i do not believe genesect ohkoes with u-turn, unless banded or belted. you still shouldn't stay in on it though. leftovers+sub, plus a lot of bulk allows it to outstall/ gain safe turns a lot of the time. For some reason, people don't expect hp ice on it, so it gets a lot of opportunity to eliminate dragon switchins, who expect a hp fighting. HP fire is an alternative choice to hp ice, to nail scizor and genesect on the switchin when you don't want to sub. they are just 2 pokes who can wall this set. Psyshock is preferred over Psychic, to hit Blissey, Chansey, etc. as well as other special walls. In the last slot, a variety of moves can fill it, for coverage reasons. thunderbolt is preferred, but thunder can be used if you happen to be on a rain team(its a decent idea). energy ball can also be used, but it doesn't really hit anything significant.

Checks and Counters and Threats

Blissey and Chansey come to mind as those who wall this set, but they only do it if Meloetta does not have Psyshock. Tyranitar is a major threat, as nothing can really touch it, and tyranitar can pursuit trap it to death. scizor is a major threat as well, along with its "special" counterpart(i guess, lol. close enough) genesect. nothing really touches them(thunderbolt might 2hko) and they can either ohko, set up, or just dent it really badly. Ferrothorn completely walls it, as does Forretress. Volcarona can check it if rocks arent up, as it can switch in safely. let's see, umm...well, Wobbuffet can trap and ko it(and its been on the rise lately). Magnezone can take anything she throws, unless you have hp fire. these are just a few, im sure you guys can think of more, but its all situational. Powerhouses can deal major damage to it, if you don't predict correctly, so that's why substitute is always a good idea. its a great failsafe. be wary of pretty much anything that can outspeed, for fear of revenge-killing.

basically, use it for late game sweeping.
    id like to get a little feedback for it...

Shuckle @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: hp 252 / Defense 128 / Sp Defence 128
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    - Toxic
    - rest
    - Double Team
    - Flash

I am not that good of a move set creator but i saw this, I thought it would be a pain in the butt to beat in a competitive battle but I'm also inexperienced in that as well so i wanted an opinion on this set before i pursued it.
    My 3ds fc is 5214-9760-7012

IGN: R0dium

In My Safari: Noibat, Fraxure, Druddigon

Pm me with yours so we can be friends ^^

^Drawn By Astrint^

Quote Originally Posted by Astrint View Post
    Shuckle @ Leftovers
    - Toxic
    - rest
    - Double Team
    - Flash

I am not that good of a move set creator but i saw this, I thought it would be a pain in the butt to beat in a competitive battle but I'm also inexperienced in that as well so i wanted an opinion on this set before i pursued it.
    Well, first and foremost, if you plan on using this for standard competitive usage, you'd have to drop Double Team and Flash. Moves that mess with accuracy or evasion are banned in standard play.

You're going down the right path with this in terms of how you use Shuckle, but it has some pretty fundamental flaws that you kind of can't get around. While Shuckle's defenses are impressive, it kind of can't really do anything with them. It can lay Stealth Rock, which is useful, but that only takes one turn and you're done. Its only means of inflicting any damage is through Toxic, which you rightfully have on the set, but that leaves it 100% walled by Steel-types, Poison-types, and anything with Substitute that is faster than it. That's a pretty big range of Pokemon that it can do literally nothing against. Furthermore, while it can restore HP through Rest, a weakness to Stealth Rock isn't helping it as a defensive Pokemon.

Like I said, you're heading in the right direction with this set, but you (no one, really) can't overcome the kind of intrinsic flaws Shuckle has that have relegated it to the NU tier. Setup sweepers, Steel or Poison-types, and basically anything with Substitute render it completely useless. It has awesome defenses, but... what do you do with them?

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    Well, first and foremost, if you plan on using this for standard competitive usage, you'd have to drop Double Team and Flash. Moves that mess with accuracy or evasion are banned in standard play.

You're going down the right path with this in terms of how you use Shuckle, but it has some pretty fundamental flaws that you kind of can't get around. While Shuckle's defenses are impressive, it kind of can't really do anything with them. It can lay Stealth Rock, which is useful, but that only takes one turn and you're done. Its only means of inflicting any damage is through Toxic, which you rightfully have on the set, but that leaves it 100% walled by Steel-types, Poison-types, and anything with Substitute that is faster than it. That's a pretty big range of Pokemon that it can do literally nothing against. Furthermore, while it can restore HP through Rest, a weakness to Stealth Rock isn't helping it as a defensive Pokemon.

Like I said, you're heading in the right direction with this set, but you (no one, really) can't overcome the kind of intrinsic flaws Shuckle has that have relegated it to the NU tier. Setup sweepers, Steel or Poison-types, and basically anything with Substitute render it completely useless. It has awesome defenses, but... what do you do with them?
    thank you for the help. I guess I need to adjust my team for a better defensive pokemon.
    My 3ds fc is 5214-9760-7012

IGN: R0dium

In My Safari: Noibat, Fraxure, Druddigon

Pm me with yours so we can be friends ^^

^Drawn By Astrint^

Just a nitpick, but Flash isn't banned in competitive play. Only Double Team.

As for the set, run something like Encore or Power Split over Double Team. Encore is cool if you catch an opponent trying to set up on you, essentially giving you a free switch to whatever. Power Split, due to Shuckle's pitiful offenses, effectively halves the opponent's offensive stats. This is useful since even with Shuckle's high defenses, its low HP and lack of recovery mean that it's not that hard to 3HKO it. You should also completely minimize your offenses to have a better effect with Power Split.

Swoobat @ Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Simple
    EVs: 100 HP/ 156 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    -Calm Mind
    -Stored Power
    -Heat Wave
    -Energy Ball/Giga Drain/HP Dragon

-Simple is such a brilliant ability, it just has to be abused. One CM puts Swoobat on a very nice on 458 Special Attack and a respectable 292 Special Defence, put also puts Stored Power's BP to 100 BP, which is a little higher than Psychic, something Swoobat can abuse to destroy the large amounts of Fighting types. 458 Sp.Atk and 359 Speed makes it a really powerful sweeper, and BW2 has blessed it with Heat Wave to deal with Steel and Ice types that want to wall or kill it.
    The last move is a choice. Energy Ball and Giga Drain can help deal with all the bulky Ground, Rock and Water types (the only difference between the two is merely power/sustainability) Whilst HP Dragon is merely for Coverage.
    Have a nice day

Black FC: 3911-6974-2268
    -STUNFISK LAUGHS AT YOU!-

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrint View Post
    Shuckle @ Leftovers
    - Toxic
    - rest
    - Double Team
    - Flash

I've used a similar moveset before with Bide > Double Team. It's pretty underwhelming. The only truly successful Shuckle set I've used is the one I posted a few pages back.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
    Contrary - Bold
    176 Defence, 252 Sp. Def, 80 HP
    -Toxic
    -Shell Smash
    -Rest
    -Power Split

His EVs give him 201 HP and enough bulk to survive a lot of hits. Contrary Shell Smash boosts his Defenses and lowers his Attack, which is where Power Split comes in. Power Split essentially cuts your target's Attack in half, coming from a Pokemon that can hit like 6 Attack. Rest is his only recovery option, and Toxic is how he dishes out damage.

I'm on a Dragon dilemma for my doubles sun team:

Hydreigon VS. Salamence

Hydreigon @ Dragon Gem
    Modest
    Levitate
    252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Heat Wave
    Draco Meteor
    Tailwind
    Roost/Dark Pulse

Salamence @ Dragon Gem
    Modest
    Intimidate
    Heat Wave
    Draco Meteor
    Tailwind
    Roost/Dragon Pulse

They both do the same thing. They set up Tailwind, get a boost from the sun for Heat Wave, and hit hard with Dragon Gem Draco Meteor to KO the threatening Latios/Garchomp and friends.

Hydreigon advantages: It's bulkier, has Dark Pulse to eliminate Cresselia, hits harder, has no Rock weakness and it's only 2x weak to Ice.

Hydreigon disadvantages: It's slower and loses the speed tie with all the other dragons. If I go Timid, then Salamence will hit harder. Doesn't have Intimidate which is great in Doubles.

Salamence advantages: It's faster, can set up Tailwind easier and ties in speed with a lot of neutral natured threats. Has Intimidate. With Roost loses her main weaknesses.

Salamence disadvantages: Can't hit as hard as Hydreigon and it's easier to kill. Has to rely on Draco Meteor for STAB (HP Flying is not an option as this is WiFi). Rock and Ice weaknesses are troublesome.

On a side note: Tailwind and Sunny Day are supposed to be already on the field when these beasts come out. They're my second Tailwind suppliers in case the first fails or is already KOed.

Any advice?

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8099-9870 - Nuno

Super Secret Base | Double Battles | QR Code

Beta Competition Masters Division: W25 L9 - Rating 1736 - Ranking 100th
    June International Challenge Masters Division: W10 L7 - Rating 1544 - Ranking 2784th

Overall WiFi Double Battle Record: W65 L33

Quote Originally Posted by N_Shadow19 View Post
    I'm on a Dragon dilemma for my doubles sun team:

Hydreigon VS. Salamence

Hydreigon @ Dragon Gem
    Modest
    Levitate
    Heat Wave
    Draco Meteor
    Tailwind
    Roost/Dark Pulse

Salamence @ Dragon Gem
    Modest
    Intimidate
    Heat Wave
    Draco Meteor
    Tailwind
    Roost/Dragon Pulse

They both do the same thing. They set up Tailwind, get a boost from the sun for Heat Wave, and hit hard with Dragon Gem Draco Meteor to KO the threatening Latios/Garchomp and friends.

Hydreigon advantages: It's bulkier, has Dark Pulse to eliminate Cresselia, hits harder, has no Rock weakness and it's only 2x weak to Ice.

Hydreigon disadvantages: It's slower and loses the speed tie with all the other dragons. If I go Timid, then Salamence will hit harder. Doesn't have Intimidate which is great in Doubles.

Salamence advantages: It's faster, can set up Tailwind easier and ties in speed with a lot of neutral natured threats. Has Intimidate. With Roost loses her main weaknesses.

Salamence disadvantages: Can't hit as hard as Hydreigon and it's easier to kill. Has to rely on Draco Meteor for STAB (HP Flying is not an option as this is WiFi). Rock and Ice weaknesses are troublesome.

On a side note: Tailwind and Sunny Day are supposed to be already on the field when these beasts come out. They're my second Tailwind suppliers in case the first fails or is already KOed.

Any advice?
    I understand the stuff about being wifi compatatble, but unless you are doing subway or PWT (in B/W2), Cresselia is purely situational.

Yes, Mence can hit harder, but be KO'd easier, however, the only thing that is common in wifi that has a chance to KO is Scizor.

Not sure of the rest of your team without more info, but as of the info you stated here, go with Mence.

Okay I'm kind of interested in the little insect named Durant. For a Pokemon unable to evolve he's pretty awesome. His stats aren't frikkin' awesome but he is great for the battle subway and PWT. Which are what I want to train one for. Anyway I was browsing what he can do and I came up with this.

Durant @ Focus Sash/Wide Lens
    Ability: Hustle
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: +252 Speed +252 Attack +4 HP
    - X-Scissor
    - Iron Head
    - Dig
    - Hone Claws/Thunder Fang

In the battle facilities all Durant should just constantly attack. Jolly nature puts it speed past some impressively fast Pokemon. For example, modest Starmie, max speed Infernape, max speed Terrakion, max speed Garchomp, and max speed Thundurus-Therian. With this Durant can punch out a lot of fast hits while only having one weakness: fire. Dig murders almost every fire type that it outspeeds especially with the boost from Hustle. Durant can also resist a lot of dragon type moves due to its above average uninvested defense. X-Scissor and Iron Head are for the obvious main STAB moves. Hone Claws is amazing if you get it off but Thunder Fang is also a nice move for hitting flying types and bulky waters a little harder and is one of the better moves it gets, with Rock Slide, Crunch, and Aerial Ace running up but not quite necessary.

The item is a preference thing because he can switch between. Focus Sash gurantees a Hone Claws if the foe has no priority but Wide Lens negates the need for Hone Claws and gives nice accuracy right off the bat. Other options are Life Orb and Lum Berry, but LO would just kill it faster and it's already frail and Lum Berry is obsolete if the dark types that generally carry it are taken out before they can use it.

Another interesting option I've seen for wi-fi is the truant ability Durant with Entrainment but I think that's bogus because switching out and Protect on any of the opposing Pokemon is a compete remedy. Rendering Durant useless and the foe with a switch advantage.

Anyway I am asking for some advice. For I have never used Durant but I believe I have the general jist.
    Last edited by Xenevix; 23rd October 2012 at 1:10 AM.

I live in Eastern Time (GMT -4)

^ Durant got Superpower access so Dig is useless. I could also try fitting Stone Edge over Iron Head a it has more coverage. Plus Life Orb can be used over the two items for more power or Lum Berry to heal statuses like paralysis that could cripple him.

i like durant as an anti-weather.

Durant @Focus Sash
    Jolly
    Hustle
    -X-Scissor
    -Stone Edge
    -Thunder Fang
    -Hone Claws

although now that he gets superpower that set is sorta obsulete.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

so, i love meloetta. it has unique typing, great stats, and can even change at will. unfortunately, in its aria forme, it has mediocre speed that lets it down. so, i made a set that focuses on its good points and can fix the speed issues.

Moveset:
    -Substitute
    -Psyshock/Psychic
    -HP Ice/HP Fire
    -Thunderbolt/Thunder/

This is a Bulkier Meloetta set, which capitalizes on her Special bulk. Her SpA isn't too shabby either, but unfortunately, she has speed issues. therefore, no speed investment. instead, 252 hp and max SpA are all it needs. the last 4 evs go into def, so an opposing genesect will gain a SpA boost instead, i do not believe genesect ohkoes with u-turn, unless banded or belted. you still shouldn't stay in on it though. leftovers+sub, plus a lot of bulk allows it to outstall/ gain safe turns a lot of the time. For some reason, people don't expect hp ice on it, so it gets a lot of opportunity to eliminate dragon switchins, who expect a hp fighting. HP fire is an alternative choice to hp ice, to nail scizor and genesect on the switchin when you don't want to sub. they are just 2 pokes who can wall this set. Psyshock is preferred over Psychic, to hit Blissey, Chansey, etc. as well as other special walls. In the last slot, a variety of moves can fill it, for coverage reasons. thunderbolt is preferred, but thunder can be used if you happen to be on a rain team(its a decent idea). energy ball can also be used, but it doesn't really hit anything significant.

Blissey and Chansey come to mind as those who wall this set, but they only do it if Meloetta does not have Psyshock. Tyranitar is a major threat, as nothing can really touch it, and tyranitar can pursuit trap it to death. scizor is a major threat as well, along with its "special" counterpart(i guess, lol. close enough) genesect. nothing really touches them(thunderbolt might 2hko) and they can either ohko, set up, or just dent it really badly. Ferrothorn completely walls it, as does Forretress. Volcarona can check it if rocks arent up, as it can switch in safely. let's see, umm...well, Wobbuffet can trap and ko it(and its been on the rise lately). Magnezone can take anything she throws, unless you have hp fire. these are just a few, im sure you guys can think of more, but its all situational. Powerhouses can deal major damage to it, if you don't predict correctly, so that's why substitute is always a good idea. its a great failsafe. be wary of pretty much anything that can outspeed, for fear of revenge-killing.

Hey I was wandering about my drifblim plan
    Item:flying gem
    Ability: unburden
    Nature: naive (+spd -sp. Def)
    EVs: Atk, 192. sp.Atk, 200. Spd, 112
    Moveset
    -acrobatics
    -shadow ball
    -explosion
    -will-o-wisp

I use acrobatics to activate flying gem, this: doubles power (acrobatics' effects), +50% power (flying gem), doubles spd (unburden). After this shadow for damage, will-o-wisp annoys with a burn and explosion is a last ditch solution

My drifblim's speed outstrips an electrode with unburden as it was designed to and the attack can OHKO most average defense pokemon with the powered up acrobatics.

Name: Wobby
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Name: Buzzy

Name: Sombrero
    Adopt one yourself!@Pokémon Orphanage

Name: Houdini

You could use focus blast, because it is powerful and is super effective against almost all the pokemon you have listed, especially tyranitar with it's double weakness

To thedarklord2135
    Last edited by Ugliduck99; 24th October 2012 at 6:47 PM.

I need input on a w-kyruem set mainly nature. Due to me wanting damage input, im hesitant to use timid.

W-Kyurem @ Choice Specs
    Ability:Turboblaze
    EVs:252 Sp att 4 hp 252 speed
    Nature: Modest/timid
    - Dracometeor
    - Ice Beam
    - Fusion Flare/focus blast
    - Earth power

Your standard W-Kyruem set. Im concerned about what to put for the nature for the reasons said above, and im also confused about wether to put flare or blast for my coverage move. Fusion flare is more accurate, but focus blast has more power.

Input please!

I have claimed Quagsire the king of the marsh!!!

You could use a mild nature which ditches White kyurems low defence for a ridiculously high special attack

timid is probably best. the ability to speed tie other kyurem is amazing, and with specs, w-kyurem already hits hard enough. that extra 10% wont matter. ubers is a slow tier anyway, so timid outspeeds a lot, actually.

why the **** would he use mild? mild, naive, hasty, and the other one are only used for mixed attackers, as otherwise, modest or adamant is superior, as they reduce a non-used stat. think.

on meloetta: focus blast really isn't all that good. for one, its focus miss. 2, focus blast won't do **** to blissey or chansey, who are hit harder by psyshock anyway. and anything it does hit super-effectively, it can't ohko anyway, other than t-tar. ferrothorn isn't even 3hkoed, factoring in misses and lefties. everything else is still a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by thedarklord2155 View Post

Moveset:
    -Substitute
    -Psyshock/Psychic
    -HP Ice/HP Fire
    -Thunderbolt/Thunder/

Genesect will still gain an attack boost meloetta have base 72 defense vs 128 sp.defense so.. it still getting an attack boost.
    In OU definetly use HP fire dragons can be hit with psychic (stronger against most stuff also it can beat BU conkeldurr that way) The problem with this meloetta is she isn't strong enough for OU and it totally outclassed by espeon and alakazam as offensive pokemon sure it have more bulk than both but why take hits when you can outspeed stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Pikachu (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Lightningrod
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Thunder Wave
    - Volt Switch
    - Fake Out

Im just Trying this as my lead,Any help or comments would be appriciated.

Edit:Changed Agility To Volt Switch
    Last edited by UgoPop; 31st October 2012 at 11:31 PM.

your edit says you changed his ability to volt switch : P.

use light ball. its the only reason he could be used. and make either physical or special, not both.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Page 175 of 185 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179 ... LastLast