Page 177 of 185 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 4603

Thread: Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

that's a neat genesect set. seems to be able to kill those that would be able to kill it thanks to hp ground.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevensevens View Post
    So in honour of Anarchy Month (which is every month, in case you didn't know), I present a Rock Polish Genesect with a twist.

(credit to Magicmonkey for the awesome banner)
    Genesect @ Focus Sash
    Modest - Download
    252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def
    -Rock Polish
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Hidden Power (Ground)

Seems like your typical RP Genesect. Send it in on your opponent's Skarmory or whatever, set up a Rock Polish... Then be forced to switch out as your opponent switches into Heatran. Yeah. Fatal flaw with normal Rock Polish Genesects; they can't touch Heatran. So, the combination of Focus Sash and Hidden Power (Ground) allows you to always beat Heatran. Most Heatran are OHKO'd by HP Ground, but some defensive variants live, especially if Gene doesn't get the Sp. Atk boost. That's what the Focus Sash is for. BoltBeam gives him the best coverage, but you can substitute either for any number of other options, like Bug Buzz, Flash Cannon, Giga Drain, Flamethrower... Etc.
    Bug Buzz or Flamethrower > Thunderbolt. You have much better coverage this way.

Life Orb > Focus Sash. With Focus Sash you only have a 56% chance to OHKO 4 HP Heatran with HP Ground. Life Orb gives you a 100% chance to OHKO it, and you even OHKO Sp Def Heatran with a Download boost. You also have a chance of taking down Terrakion once it drops to ~90%.

Focus Sash is a stupid item on a set up sweeper. You lose too much power and just end up killed by a priority user, or even just some random tankish thing that survives your attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Bug Buzz or Flamethrower > Thunderbolt. You have much better coverage this way.

Life Orb > Focus Sash. With Focus Sash you only have a 56% chance to OHKO 4 HP Heatran with HP Ground. Life Orb gives you a 100% chance to OHKO it, and you even OHKO Sp Def Heatran with a Download boost. You also have a chance of taking down Terrakion once it drops to ~90%.

Focus Sash is a stupid item on a set up sweeper. You lose too much power and just end up killed by a priority user, or even just some random tankish thing that survives your attacks.
    That's true, why didn't I think of that? I don't need to live through Heatran's attack if I can just OHKO him.

Also, I'd probably go with Bug Buzz, gets STAB and hits annoying Psychic types and Tyranitar hard.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

hmmm. why didn't i see that had no flamethrower?
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Flamethrower really doesn't hit anything that Chandelure can't KO easily, so on my particular team I'd prefer Bug Buzz.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

surprise factor genesect. most mons in the meta run some special defense EVs in order to mak download boost attack instead of special attack.......

Genesect @Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Ability: Download
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spd
    Nature: Jolly
    ~U-turn
    ~Iron Head
    ~X-Scissor
    ~Flamethrower

This Genesect runs against the Genesect-oriented EV meta to obtain Download boosts that actually work as often as possible, while dedicating its own spare EVs to make sure other, more standard Gensect get Attack instead of Special Attack. Coverage suffers, but seeing as the Legendary Bug's attack stat is exactly equal to its Special Attack, it seems usable. U-Turn is a great momentum move with Genesect's boosted Speed and STAB, while X-Scissor and Iron Head are strong STABS that have very welcome secondary effects, should they happen to trigger, while Flamethrower, a special move, is used against mons like Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Abomasnow (and other Gensect) who are doubly weak to it, as well as making it so SpAtk boosts arent worthless if they happen. Flame Charge is a weaker Fire option that boosts speed, or one can just use Rock Polish to ensure a first move. Life Orb is the preferrred item, but expert belt can be used to fake a choice item.

I want to use a mixed arcanine (for in-game) with the following moves

flamethrower
    dragon pulse
    return/strength
    dig

What would be a good nature to use? I can't seem to commit to a purely physical or special attacker..and there's not much of a difference between its special and physical attack stats..

Edit: I'm not interested in using wild charge because I don't like recoil moves
    Credit to Mew_ for the pokemon banner, Equal-to-Heaven for the braviary clock, ~.:Northern Lights:.~ for the pokemon badge, and the shiny card made by me

Friend code: 0533-5377-8837
    I have normal type (minccino, dunsparce and smeargle)

Spoiler:- My shiny card:
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/2vs1amu.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/2vhzyoj.jpg[/IMG]

Ditch Dig. It is horrible for competitive battling. Crunch > Return for coverage. DP is not a good move on a non-dragon type, so replace it with Close Combat. Fire + Fighting + Dark gets perfect neutral coverage.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by azeem40 View Post
    Ditch Dig. It is horrible for competitive battling. Crunch > Return for coverage. DP is not a good move on a non-dragon type, so replace it with Close Combat. Fire + Fighting + Dark gets perfect neutral coverage.
    He specifically said for in-game, not competitive. It's actually really useful in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Birds of Paradise View Post
    I want to use a mixed arcanine (for in-game) with the following moves

flamethrower
    dragon pulse
    return/strength
    dig

What would be a good nature to use? I can't seem to commit to a purely physical or special attacker..and there's not much of a difference between its special and physical attack stats..

Edit: I'm not interested in using wild charge because I don't like recoil moves
    In-game, I would say any nature that doesn't lower Attack, Special Attack or Speed. Probably a neutral nature like Quirky would be best though.

Noctowl @ Flame Orb
    Ability: Insomnia
    Nature: Bold
    EVS: 252 Def. 156 HP, 100 Sp. Def
    -Feather Dance
    -Psycho Shift
    -Roost
    -Night Shade

Sole purpose of making this Noctowl is to take out physical attackers. With 252 def and bold nature, he gets a total defense of 218 with HP at 318. Add a featherdance and psycho shift Burn status, and your only doing a quarter damage at most. Roost is there to heal off any of the burn damage or regular damage, as well as rid the flying type disadvantages. Night shade is for consecutive damage while disregarding any stat changes made to the opponents defenses. For me personally testing out this noctowl, I was able to take out such threats as Dragonites, Salamences, some uber physical assaulters, and at one point Terrakion (Switched in at the wrong time). What do you guys think?
    Pokemon Y
    Friend code: 4339-3653-0977
    Safari: Ghost - Lampent, Phantump, and Dusclops

I do have dittos for trade!

Pokemon I'm searching for (hidden abilities):
    Filling up on safaris. If your type is not listed, it most likely means i dont need it.

Bug: Paras, Illumise, Masquerain
    Dark: Pawniard, Vullaby, Sandile, Absol, Liepard
    Fighting: Riolu
    Flying: Hawlucha
    Ground: Trapinch, Marowak, Palpitoad
    Psychic: Grumpig, Sigilpyh,
    Poison: Toxicroak, Garbordor
    Steel: Klang, Bronzong

Pokemon:: Braviary
    Item:: Life Orb
    Ability:: Sheer Force
    EVs:: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Hp
    Nature::Adamant
    - Bulk Up
    - Crush Claw
    - Super Power
    - Brave Bird

Braviary is a great flying type in my opinion and with the set i have it can really do damage. Being kind of bulky saves me with hits on switch in and Bulk UP help raises my Attack and Defense. This helps by far when Steel, Ice and Rock types show up as Super Power breaks them down hard, especially with the LO attached, and I only go down to my basic stats instead of loosing them. Crush Claw being a Normal STAB as well as getting the Boost from Sheer Force as well as LO with out losing Health. That is always a big bonus. Now Brave Bird being my Flying STAB, it can cut through anything that isn't resistant and as well as put huge hole in things that are. With the LO equipped Brave Bird gets an even better boost, and if i Bulk Up and don't lose the stats with Super Power the attack is even more powerful.
    All Starters
        Spoiler:- Egg Move Pokemon:

Spoiler:- DW Females:

Spoiler:- Services:

Shinies::Butterfree, Ninetales, Lilligant

White Friend Code::4255-6169-8661

Gallade @Leftovers
    Adamant
    Steadfast
    168Hp 56Atk 136Def 148Sp.Def
    -Drain Punch
    -Thunder Wave
    -Psycho Cut
    -Fire Punch/Ice Punch

ment to be a sand counter. can ohko specially defensive ttar with drain punch, landoo-i with ice punch, andi s never ohkho'd by stoutland (max 318/319 points of damage). the attack ev's i beleive hit a jump point. the rest are thrown into bulk to let him survive long into the game and spread the love paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Yzpo Z. View Post
    Noctowl @ Flame Orb
    Ability: Insomnia
    Nature: Bold
    EVS: 252 Def. 156 HP, 100 Sp. Def
    -Feather Dance
    -Psycho Shift
    -Roost
    -Night Shade

Sole purpose of making this Noctowl is to take out physical attackers. With 252 def and bold nature, he gets a total defense of 218 with HP at 318. Add a featherdance and psycho shift Burn status, and your only doing a quarter damage at most. Roost is there to heal off any of the burn damage or regular damage, as well as rid the flying type disadvantages. Night shade is for consecutive damage while disregarding any stat changes made to the opponents defenses. For me personally testing out this noctowl, I was able to take out such threats as Dragonites, Salamences, some uber physical assaulters, and at one point Terrakion (Switched in at the wrong time). What do you guys think?
    This has absolutely nothing over other Psycho Shifters. Cresselia does this set much much better with better bulk and the ability to hit back. Not only that but Noctowl is slow, takes 25% from rocks in a meta where spinning is rare. Most Dragonites carry either a Lum Berry or Substitute and is faster. Terrakion hits you like a brick with either of its STABs. Noctowl just doesn't have the raw stats to pull a set like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Serah Farron View Post
    - Bulk Up
    - Crush Claw
    - Super Power
    - Brave Bird

Braviary is a great flying type in my opinion and with the set i have it can really do damage. Being kind of bulky saves me with hits on switch in and Bulk UP help raises my Attack and Defense. This helps by far when Steel, Ice and Rock types show up as Super Power breaks them down hard, especially with the LO attached, and I only go down to my basic stats instead of loosing them. Crush Claw being a Normal STAB as well as getting the Boost from Sheer Force as well as LO with out losing Health. That is always a big bonus. Now Brave Bird being my Flying STAB, it can cut through anything that isn't resistant and as well as put huge hole in things that are. With the LO equipped Brave Bird gets an even better boost, and if i Bulk Up and don't lose the stats with Super Power the attack is even more powerful.
    Ok Braviary might have decent stats but what is actually going to let this get a bulk up in OU. There is a plethora of special attackers that can come in, survive an unboosted hit like it was nothing, outspeed and OHKO. I say unboosted because your opponent will go for it straight away and if you use Bulk Up first Braviary just died for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    Gallade @Leftovers
    Adamant
    Steadfast
    168Hp 56Atk 136Def 148Sp.Def
    -Drain Punch
    -Thunder Wave
    -Psycho Cut
    -Fire Punch/Ice Punch

ment to be a sand counter. can ohko specially defensive ttar with drain punch, landoo-i with ice punch, andi s never ohkho'd by stoutland (max 318/319 points of damage). the attack ev's i beleive hit a jump point. the rest are thrown into bulk to let him survive long into the game and spread the love paralysis.
    Ttar will never stay in on this, Lando-I outspeed and hits like a truck, Stoutland is never going to stay in on this. This set assumes your opponent never switches. I think a better option would be to go with Breloom for this kind of thing. It Resists QuakeEdge, has technician and multihit moves to break through subs and the ever present Spore which, especially with the sleep mechanics this gen, is infinitely better than paralysis. Especially against Sand that usually run more than on ground type.
    Last edited by brandyjay; 28th November 2012 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serah Farron View Post
    - Bulk Up
    - Crush Claw
    - Super Power
    - Brave Bird

Return does more damage than Sheer Force Crush Claw, as well as having better Accuracy. Run Defiant so you can get boosts off random Intimidators or Crunch Defense drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Return does more damage than Sheer Force Crush Claw, as well as having better Accuracy. Run Defiant so you can get boosts off random Intimidators or Crunch Defense drops.
    i would love to run a defiant braviary but since it can only be male finding one is complicated, if any one would help me with that i would be greatful but thanks for the tip, ill probably run Return now
    All Starters
        Spoiler:- Egg Move Pokemon:

Spoiler:- DW Females:

Spoiler:- Services:

Shinies::Butterfree, Ninetales, Lilligant

White Friend Code::4255-6169-8661

Persian @ Focus Sash
    Hasty
    Technician
    4Hp / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
    -Nasty Plot
    -Petal Dance
    -Icy Wind
    -Swift / HP Fire (60)

^I really like this set not only because I have access to the 3rd Gen Event move, but also because of it's usefulness. Persian has 115 Speed, which is very fast. After a Nasty Plot boost, Persian's Sp Attack reaches respectable levels. Petal Dance is useful against Politoed, and has a lot of Power to back it up. Icy Wind is incredibly useful against Hydreigon, Dragonite, and Haxorus, and can also support a teammate with the speed reduction if it doesn't OHKO. Last move I still need help on; Swift offers STAB option on some Pokemon Persian can only hit for neutral, while HP Fire offers more coverage. Tips?

(Hasty is the only nature it comes with)

Quote Originally Posted by Rayce View Post
    Persian @ Focus Sash
    Hasty
    Technician
    -Nasty Plot
    -Petal Dance
    -Icy Wind
    -Swift / HP Fire (60)

^I really like this set not only because I have access to the 3rd Gen Event move, but also because of it's usefulness. Persian has 115 Speed, which is very fast. After a Nasty Plot boost, Persian's Sp Attack reaches respectable levels. Petal Dance is useful against Politoed, and has a lot of Power to back it up. Icy Wind is incredibly useful against Hydreigon, Dragonite, and Haxorus, and can also support a teammate with the speed reduction if it doesn't OHKO. Last move I still need help on; Swift offers STAB option on some Pokemon Persian can only hit for neutral, while HP Fire offers more coverage. Tips?

Seems like a pretty good set, and an improvement over the standard given the event moves, but why do you want to run it in OU? Play it in NU/RU where it will actually stand a chance. If you can't safely get that NP, you're dead in the water, and against a lot of stuff you still will be even if you do get it. Besides, despite its speed, anything with Mach Punch will destroy it. It's a good set, but there's no reason to put it so high out of its tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayce View Post
    Persian @ Focus Sash
    Hasty
    Technician
    -Nasty Plot
    -Petal Dance
    -Icy Wind
    -Swift / HP Fire (60)

As Chaos Blizzard has said, it's probably better in NU, where it hits an amazing speed tier. If you do decide to use it for NU, I would suggest going with Shadow Ball, Hidden Power Fighting and Round as it gives you the best coverage with two moves for NU.

Quote Originally Posted by brandyjay View Post
    As Chaos Blizzard has said, it's probably better in NU, where it hits an amazing speed tier. If you do decide to use it for NU, I would suggest going with Shadow Ball, Hidden Power Fighting and Round as it gives you the best coverage with two moves for NU.
    Make sure to set Hidden Power's base power to 60, not 70, so it gets a Technician boost.

Also, here's an amazing revengekiller Azelf I'm testing to great results so far.

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
    Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Attack)
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Def
    -Psyshock
    -Flamethrower
    -Thunderbolt
    -Shadow Ball

With Modest, it outspeeds positive Scarfed base 100s (including Jirachi, and more importantly Genesect), and has just about the best coverage he can get, hitting nearly everything in the game for hard damage. On top of that, Azelf is rarely seen in OU, and even more rarely seen wielding a Scarf, so it gets plenty of suprise kills.
    Last edited by Divine Retribution; 30th November 2012 at 7:11 PM.

After playing for about 10 years, I finally decided to start with online battling.... Anyways, I started making a team and wanted a Jolteon with hidden power ice.... So I finally got a Jolteon that had hidden power Ice (it took me FOREVER to get one with that hidden power typing)....
    What I want to ask is, would it be more efficient with signal beam or shadow ball? I'm also not sure what item to give to it since it is mainly a scout to open my team with. Signal beam has greater coverage than shadowball, but then again I already have grass types covered with hidden power.

Jolteon @ ??
    Volt Absorb
    252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef /252 Spe
    -Volt Switch
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power Ice (58)
    -Shadowball/Signal Beam

Quote Originally Posted by HoennChampion View Post
    After playing for about 10 years, I finally decided to start with online battling.... Anyways, I started making a team and wanted a Jolteon with hidden power ice.... So I finally got a Jolteon that had hidden power Ice (it took me FOREVER to get one with that hidden power typing)....
    What I want to ask is, would it be more efficient with signal beam or shadow ball? I'm also not sure what item to give to it since it is mainly a scout to open my team with. Signal beam has greater coverage than shadowball, but then again I already have grass types covered with hidden power.

Jolteon @ ??
    Volt Absorb
    252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef /252 Spe
    -Volt Switch
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power Ice (58)
    -Shadowball/Signal Beam
    Choice Specs, and Shadow Ball gets slightly better coverage unless you really hate Tyranitar. Besides, you can Volt Switch to a counter easily enough, so I'd recommend Shadow Ball. Also, Specs Shadow Ball scores a clean OHKO on Gengar 100% of the time.

Politoed @ ??
    Drizzle ~ Modest
    252 Sp. Atk./252 Spd./ 4 HP
    Scald
    Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Dig/ Other

Okay, this will be my first rain team, so I decided to put on a DrizzlePoli. He could be my lead, but I am thinking my Metagross. Anyway, his Speed and Sp. Atk. are high so he hits really hard, and Modest does the same thing. He was born w/ perfect IV's in Speed. Scald is for Bulky Electrics, so baically Wild Chargers, what with the burn and all. Then, I waited with Poliwag to level up for a supreme Hydro Pump that could probably 1H or 2HKO those that aren't Sp. Def. EVed and aren't resistant to water. Obviously in the rain it is boosted a lot. Then, Dig and Ice Beam. I really don't want dig on this guy. He is on the movepool for coverage, but it is an Atk. move so it won't do nearly as much as other moves I have. Ice Beam is also for coverage, on Grass types. I think Ice Beam could stay, but I need a replacement for Dig. Just let electric types pummel him? Or see if his HP is Ground? Or, lastly, the unlikely chance thatI decide to keep Dig? Anyway, I think everything else is good. Thanks.

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

First, Dig shouldn't be in the move set. It is a horribly unreliable move, for someone could just get a free switch on you, or set up and nail you on the spot. You're better off using a Gastrodon, Jolteon, to Thundurus T to absorb electric attacks form Politoed. Toxic for Dig is my recommendation, while you can just switch in a electric immune poke.
    For trade:
    Legendaries- Shiny rash , Shiny relaxed , Sassy , , 2 (one docile, one lax), , , (DW event), , ,

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

Name: Nike
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    With enough skill, you can put any pokemon here

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Retribution View Post
    Choice Specs, and Shadow Ball gets slightly better coverage unless you really hate Tyranitar. Besides, you can Volt Switch to a counter easily enough, so I'd recommend Shadow Ball. Also, Specs Shadow Ball scores a clean OHKO on Gengar 100% of the time.
    Signal Beam is probably better. It lets Jolteon take down Celebi. Shadow Ball is pretty useless besides that (Tbolt also wrecks Gengar).

Specs or Life Orb are the best items.

Okay. Yeah, i hate dig. I really do, a lot.

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

Page 177 of 185 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181 ... LastLast