Page 183 of 185 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185 LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,575 of 4603

Thread: Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Quote Originally Posted by kzhu98 View Post
    But if the enemy is truant, I can shell smash when it's goofing around and protect every other turn against their attacks.
    Again, there's nothing to stop them from switching as soon as you use Entrainment. Especially since the turn after you use Entrainment, it's obvious that YOU will switch, since Durant would otherwise be stuck in a Truant downtime turn. In which case, Smeargle's a sitting duck. It's a gimmick and it won't work on actual players, only on in-game opponents who don't switch.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

How about this set?

Drifblim @Flying Gem
    Adamant
    Unburden
    252atk 252spe
    -Acrobatics
    -Will o Wisp
    -Baton Pass
    -Destiny Bond

Oh btw is this the standard? I'm too lazy to check it myself.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Cresselia@Leftovers
    Bold/Levitate
    248 HP/196 Def/60 Sp.Att
    -Ice Beam
    -Lunar Dance/Thunder Wave
    -Psyshock/Psychic
    -Moonlight

I crafted this set a few weeks ago when I was having a discussion about Landorus-I. Lando is really dominant at every phase in the game and can rip apart Stall and Offense alike around mid- to late-game. Cresselia is probably the best counter to it because of her resistance/immunity to Ground and Fighting as well as her ability to take lol% damage from Hidden Power Ice. I then thought, "Hey, why not put her on a Offense team?" This is the result.

This Cresselia is meant to be used on an Sun Offense team as a defensive pivot. Why a defensive pivot? It can pretty much switch into most attacks for a minimal amount of damage (An Outrage from a Haxorus does about 30% iirc). Furthermore, Moonlight under the sun heals for 2/3 of your total health, which allows it to sufficiently tank hits. The EVs guarantee an OHKO on Landorus-T (again IIRC. If you plug this into your calc and see that this is wrong, please point it out). The HP and Def EVs give it sufficient bulk to tank many Fighting and Dragon attacks. The two attacking moves gives me strong offensive choices over two of the most prominent offensive types in the metagame: Fighting and Dragon. Ice Beam murders most Dragons after 1-2 switch-ins with Stealth Rock as well as dumping on both Landos. Psychic and Psyshock are just purely QOL choices. Psychic hits stuff harder and allows you to potentially OHKO Conkeldurr (not that it matters but oh well). Psyshock gives you a slight edge over a sufficiently weakened Blissey while still allowing you to 2HKO most Fighting types in OU. Lunar Dance and Thunder Wave are really just based on your preference. Thunder Wave gives Cresselia a more active support role in battle by paralyzing your opponent's pokemon, giving yours a better advantage and higher chance of sweeping. Healing Wish forces her to just play as a pure pivot that can heal up a really weakened sweeper on your team (great for slightly reckless players).
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Volcarona @ Silver Powder/ Life orb
    Modest Nature
    252 Sp Atk/ 252 Sp Def/4 Spd
    Flame body
    - Will o wisp/ Toxic
    - Whirlwind
    - Fiery Dance
    - Calm Mind/ Quiver Dance

Modest Nature compliments Special Attack giving Fiery Dance hella damage combined with STAB and Calm Mind/ Quiver Dance. Will o Wisp/ Toxic and Whirlwind to spread Poison/ Burn through out the enemy team
    Last edited by hellothisismuffin; 6th May 2013 at 8:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernikova View Post
    My microwave is shooting electricity from the back and it's scaring me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    How about this set?

Drifblim @Flying Gem
    Adamant
    Unburden
    252atk 252spe
    -Acrobatics
    -Will o Wisp
    -Baton Pass
    -Destiny Bond

Oh btw is this the standard? I'm too lazy to check it myself.
    Yeah, that's about 90% the standard. The standard has less speed (200, putting the extra 56 in defense) and uses Substitute instead of Baton Pass to avoid getting Sucker Punched. What is your rationale for Baton Pass?

Quote Originally Posted by hellothisismuffin View Post
    Volcarona @ Silver Powder/ Life orb
    Modest Nature
    252 Sp Atk/ 252 Sp Def/4 Spd
    Flame body
    - Will o wisp/ Toxic
    - Whirlwind
    - Fiery Dance
    - Calm Mind/ Quiver Dance

Modest Nature compliments Special Attack giving Fiery Dance hella damage combined with STAB and Calm Mind/ Quiver Dance. Will o Wisp/ Toxic and Whirlwind to spread Poison/ Burn through out the enemy team
    >Silverpowder
    >No Bug-Type moves
    >You for real?

Okay, to be completely honest, this set accomplishes absolutely nothing. You're throwing hybrid roles on Volca for no apparent reason.

#1: The status moves and Whirlwind are useless. No way in God's loving name is Volcarona supposed to be used like a Support pokemon. Furthermore, it sucks at this job. With an EV spread like the one you posted, Volcarona literally has the defense of a wet sack and can't spread status effectively. Furthermore, there are many other pokemon that are better at spreading status than Volcarona.

#2: Quiver Dance > Calm Mind. Quiver Dance is basically Calm Mind with a +1 Speed.

#3: Don't make him go hybrid roles because Volcarona sucks at that. He is a sweeper and only a sweeper.

[In Clan Memoriam]
    Memories are eternal.

Survival isn't eternal

^ To sum it up briefly, Volcarona does one job well, and that's to set up against special attackers then sweep. There is no point in making him bulkier or running willow wisp or whatever, because you will not be staying in against physical attackers. One stone edge from literally anything will kill you plus any strong stab move is likely to 2HKO you at least. You will stay in against things such as alakazam and gengar, who you can set up against and then OHKO after a few quiver dances. calm mind is 100% useless as quiver dance is literally the same thing with a speed boost., As boring as it sounds just run the standard set with max special attack and speed, quiver dance, flamethrower/fiery dance, bug buzz and psychic or HP ice or something and a life orb for the item. Nothing else is really viable.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    Yeah, that's about 90% the standard. The standard has less speed (200, putting the extra 56 in defense) and uses Substitute instead of Baton Pass to avoid getting Sucker Punched. What is your rationale for Baton Pass?
    I imagine baton pass is to pass on the speed boost from unburden, but I'm not sure if that actually works since unburden doesn't give a regular 1 or 2 stage buff.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    3DS fc: 0301 9796 4544

Spoiler:- My dw females, will trade for any I don't have::

Quote Originally Posted by cheeselord View Post
    I imagine baton pass is to pass on the speed boost from unburden, but I'm not sure if that actually works since unburden doesn't give a regular 1 or 2 stage buff.
    Your doubt is well founded, as it doesn't actually work. The speed boost from Unburden cannot be Baton Passed.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Rhypherior@life orb
    252 attack / 252 speed / 4 sp def
    (31 IVs in speed, attack, defense, HP)
    Adamant(+attack, -sp attack)
    Solid Rock

-rock polish
    -rock blast
    -earthquake
    -megahorn

This is my rock polish rypherior. Since I run a sandstorm team, coupled with solid rock ability, it's special defense is much improved. It's high attack lets me sweep with stab earthquake and rock blast to finish focus sash/sturdy users. Megahorn for great coverage on psychic and dark. Rock polish doubles speed making it potent in late game stretches. My biggest concern is whether or not the nature will prove critical to this set. The nature recommended is jolly, but mines adamant. Will it be wise to invest evs in speed/attack or find another way to use ryhpherior?

Just for luls.

Heatran @ Choice Band
    Adamant - Flash Fire
    252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Def
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Explosion

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Gardavoir @ (Undecided)
    Ability: Trace
    EVs: HP: 52, Def: 206, Sp.Atk: 252
    Nature: Timid
    - Psychic
    - Disable
    - Destiny Bond
    - Thunder Wave

The idea is to paralyze first then choose to Destiny Bond or Disable a move. Maybe even go straight for the attack if it seems safe to do so. Also, ideas for an item would be helpful too.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeselord View Post
    ^ To sum it up briefly, Volcarona does one job well, and that's to set up against special attackers then sweep. There is no point in making him bulkier or running willow wisp or whatever, because you will not be staying in against physical attackers. One stone edge from literally anything will kill you plus any strong stab move is likely to 2HKO you at least. You will stay in against things such as alakazam and gengar, who you can set up against and then OHKO after a few quiver dances. calm mind is 100% useless as quiver dance is literally the same thing with a speed boost., As boring as it sounds just run the standard set with max special attack and speed, quiver dance, flamethrower/fiery dance, bug buzz and psychic or HP ice or something and a life orb for the item. Nothing else is really viable.

Giga Drain is also an option on Volcarona. With the other attacks being Quiver Dance, Fiery Dance and Bug Buzz. Equipped with a Lum Berry and Modest nature, mine got plenty of killing streaks against Pokémon it had a disadvantage against.

I have question about a certain Pokémon too. I am getting a shiny Boldore soon, from a friend. She agreed to trade me it in exchange for one of my three Keldeo. Excited as i was getting my sixth shiny (not counting the ones you can always find in the games), i wanted to give it a decent moveset and item for my sand team. Here's what i came up with:

(shiny) Boldore @ Eviolite
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: dunno about EV's, i really don't know how to do this
    Nature: Relaxed
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Rest

I was hoping to get enough defensive power so i can get the opportunity to poison my opponents. Or at least one or two of them. Does anyone have any suggestions for this set? I really, REALLY want this Boldore to work on my team. Don't worry about the sandstorm, my Tyranitar got it covered.
    "You need stomping. And I'm a Stomptologist."

"Trust me, any problem comes up, I'll stomp it into next week! I'll Bowserize it!"

"Count Bleck, Floro Sapiens, whatever... Stomping fools is my business! Show me a fool, and I'll stomp it! I don't even need a reason!"

Here's an old, mostly outdated Forretress set that works amazingly well in Ubers.

Forretress @ Red Card
    Relaxed - Sturdy
    252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Def
    -Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Toxic Spikes / Zap Cannon
    -Gyro Ball

With the prominence of set-up leads like CM Kyogre, Rayquaza, and NP Darkria, this is especially effective, especially when your opponent is dumb enough to let you set up a full field of entry hazards before attacking you (which is surprisingly common). Zap Cannon VS Toxic Spikes comes down to personal preference. Toxic Spikes is great if you've got stuff like Giratina and Lugia on your team, but for offensive teams that could give a **** about TSpikes, Zap Cannon is an interesting gimmick. While its 50% accuracy might be offsetting, consider that HaxRachi's Body Slam only has a 10% greater chance for paralysis, and it's pretty common. If Rocks aren't down, it's also a great panic button to deal with ExtremeKillers and SmashPass and stuff.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Well, I thought i'd post a set that will undoubtedly (and was designed to be used in) the next metagame of the 6th generation.

The Fairy Slayer

Jirachi @Choice Band
    Adamant
    Serene Grace
    220Hp 252Atk 36Spe
    -Meteor Mash
    -Ice Punch
    -Fire Punch
    -Body Slam
    Thanks to the new event, Jirachi gets meteor mash, which albeit worse generally then iron head can ohko a lot of significant faries, chansey is almost always ohko'd after rocks (assuming it becomes fairy.)

Thoughts?
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

I actually think Meteor Mash is pretty good for this guy, especially with Serene Grace. Meteor Mash + Serene Grace, Jirachi can act as a pseudo-Moxie sweeper by getting Attack boosts and potentially snowballing with tons of damage late game. Band is kind of good too, but it won't take advantage of the free attack boost as well as Scarfrachi can. Basically, I would change the EVs on this to max att max spe and change his nature to Timid. Then I would take off the Choice Band and throw on a Choice Scarf. Finally, I would definitely change Body Slam for U-Turn (unless you're into pseudo-supporting roles)

[In Clan Memoriam]
    Memories are eternal.

Survival isn't eternal

yeah, but then you gotta figure- flinch hax or boost?

Quote Originally Posted by That Crazy Russian™ View Post
    yeah, but then you gotta figure- flinch hax or boost?
    I think iron head would stay for defensive sets, but offensive wise, meteor mash will be better, especially if he gets a speed boosting move, to bad he lacks agility, cause otherwise he has to use a salac berry such as

Jirachi @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Fire Punch
    -Meteor Mash
    -Zen Headbutt/Drain Punch

Sub is obvious to trigger the berry, while meteor mash cause it lets him boost his attack. Fire punch for steels, while the last spot is either zen headbutt for stab and to hit waters harder while drain punch is for heatran

Quote Originally Posted by mcdanger View Post
    I think iron head would stay for defensive sets, but offensive wise, meteor mash will be better, especially if he gets a speed boosting move, to bad he lacks agility, cause otherwise he has to use a salac berry such as

Jirachi @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Fire Punch
    -Meteor Mash
    -Zen Headbutt/Drain Punch

Sub is obvious to trigger the berry, while meteor mash cause it lets him boost his attack. Fire punch for steels, while the last spot is either zen headbutt for stab and to hit waters harder while drain punch is for heatran
    Just go with Zen Headbutt.

252 Atk Jirachi Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 130-154 (40.24 - 47.67%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 432-510 (126.68 - 149.56%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You don't beat the Tran without some serious Attack boosts anyways.

Mew @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Psyshock / Baton Pass
    - Shadow Ball
    - Aura Sphere

Nasty Plot Mew on OU? I think it's working. NP boosting Mew's special attack to high level. STAB Psyshock take cares of Chansey and Blissey well. Shadow Ball hits thread like Gengar, Alakazam, Celebi, Lat@s and other stuffs. Last, Aura Sphere nails Steel and Dark-types who resist with the rest of Mew's attacking moves, like Heatran, TTar, Scizor, Lucario and others. Baton Pass other option to escape from Volcarona who resist to all of Mew's attack. It also passes the boost that Mew gets after Nasty Plot.
    ♠ ♣ ♦ ♥

Houndoom (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
    Hasty Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Dark Pulse
    - Nasty Plot
    - Sucker Punch

good sweeper for pokes haxorus and charzard struggle with.

Charizard (M) @ Charcoal
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Fire Blast
    - Air Slash
    - Dragon Pulse

good against steel, grass(farrothorn)

Blastoise (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Gentle Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hydro Pump
    - Aqua Jet
    - THoundoom (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
    Hasty Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Dark Pulse
    - Nasty Plot
    - Sucker Punch

Charizard (M) @ Charcoal
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Fire Blast
    - Air Slash
    - Dragon Pulse

Blastoise (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Gentle Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hydro Pump
    - Aqua Jet
    - Toxic

Special wall and for hazard obstruction pluss toxic status

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Impish Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock

Physical defense and hazard set up

Haxorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Rivalry
    EVs: 220 Spd / 252 Atk / 36 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Superpower
    - Aerial Ace

Physical scarf for maximum speed

Metagross @ Life Orb
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Meteor Mash

Tank and psychic typing for needed reasons
    Yellow Team-
    UnovaRPG Team-
    Emerald Team-
    SoulSilver Team-
    Black Team-

Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperZekrom View Post
    Mew @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Psyshock / Baton Pass
    - Shadow Ball
    - Aura Sphere

Nasty Plot Mew on OU? I think it's working. NP boosting Mew's special attack to high level. STAB Psyshock take cares of Chansey and Blissey well. Shadow Ball hits thread like Gengar, Alakazam, Celebi, Lat@s and other stuffs. Last, Aura Sphere nails Steel and Dark-types who resist with the rest of Mew's attacking moves, like Heatran, TTar, Scizor, Lucario and others. Baton Pass other option to escape from Volcarona who resist to all of Mew's attack. It also passes the boost that Mew gets after Nasty Plot.
    Outclassed by Azelf, who can actually outspeed all the threats you listed and blow them away before being killed by a STAB Shadow Ball or something. Although Azelf does have to rely on Hidden Power (Fighting) instead of Aura Sphere, unfortunately.

And the only thing you listed that Volcarona resists is Fighting. A +2 Psyshock from Azelf OHKOs all Volcarona, even bulky variants. Mew might be a 2HKO but non-bulky Volcarona are OHKO'd.
    Last edited by Divine Retribution; 29th June 2013 at 9:57 PM.

@Divine: Ah yes, I forgot about NP Azelf. I never use him before. But maybe after get your comment I'll start using it. I usually use Azelf as a suicude lead and dual-screener.
    ♠ ♣ ♦ ♥

My team I need a lot of work and help
    Flygon@leftovers
    Nature careful
    Ability levitate
    Earthquake
    Dragon pulse
    Dragon claw
    Flamethrower

Entei@leftovers
    Nature mild
    Ability pressure
    Hidden power(grass)
    Overheat
    Eruption
    Shadow ball

Haxorus@rockeyhelmet
    Nature timid
    Ability rivalry
    Dragon dance
    Dragon claw
    Draco metor
    Dragon pulse

That's my team I know I need wall I think those are sweepers and I want a sweeper team but I know I need walls
    My team pokemon white lv85 entei lv 77 flygon lv35 jolteon lv 58 haxorus lv 30 marshstomp slot 6 ?????

I wouldn't say Mew is outclassed by Azelf as a Nasty Plot sweeper. In fact, I'd much rather use Mew. Mew has one huge advantage over Azelf in that it has actual bulk. Azelf is extremely frail with its 75/70/70 bulk, making it easy to revenge kill. For example, if you switched in on Stealth Rock, you are in danger of a OHKO from Scizor's Bullet Punch. Many Scarf users also do insane amounts of damage to Azelf, enough to threaten it with a KO if it takes much passive damage (often, just one switch into Stealth Rock or one use of the Life Orb will do). Mew, on the other hand, takes much less damage from attacks in general. The difference is so large that Mew can actually take Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump better than Azelf can take Scarf Keldeo's Hydro Pump. Mew also cannot be KO'd by CB Scizor's Bullet Punch even after Stealth Rock and 3 uses of the Life Orb. Not only does that bulk make Mew significantly harder to revenge kill, but it makes it much easier for Mew to set up. Azelf just isn't setting up against very much in OU at all with its pitiful defenses. If you're going to use offensive Azelf in OU, you're probably much better off just using an all-out attacker set to take advantage of Azelf's immediate power and key speed stat. However, if you want to try to set up and sweep, just leave that to Mew.

^agreed. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that Mew outclasses Azelf. Besides being significantly bulkier, Mew has a very high versatility factor (runs a lot of different sets) and has an expansive movepool that allows it to be better tailored to teams than Azelf. His different sets, from SD to Stall-Breaker, require different Pokemon to check it, such as T-Tar (SD) or Heatran (Stall-Breaker). NP Mew can easily capitalize on this and destroy those "counters" and set up a potential sweep victory for his teammates, something Azelf cannot do because it's so one-dimensional. To be honest, the only thing Azelf has going for it is its speed. However, Mew still sits above the Base 100 threshold, so it can safely outspeed a good portion of the meta while at the same time retains some bulk that allows it to survive critical KOs from faster threats.

[In Clan Memoriam]
    Memories are eternal.

Survival isn't eternal

Page 183 of 185 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185 LastLast