Page 184 of 185 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185 LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,600 of 4603

Thread: Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    ^agreed. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that Mew outclasses Azelf. Besides being significantly bulkier, Mew has a very high versatility factor (runs a lot of different sets) and has an expansive movepool that allows it to be better tailored to teams than Azelf. His different sets, from SD to Stall-Breaker, require different Pokemon to check it, such as T-Tar (SD) or Heatran (Stall-Breaker). NP Mew can easily capitalize on this and destroy those "counters" and set up a potential sweep victory for his teammates, something Azelf cannot do because it's so one-dimensional. To be honest, the only thing Azelf has going for it is its speed. However, Mew still sits above the Base 100 threshold, so it can safely outspeed a good portion of the meta while at the same time retains some bulk that allows it to survive critical KOs from faster threats.
    Its speed tho is what makes it better at different roles then mew like lead, speced/banded user or revenger, while mew is better for set up sweeping, support, or just being glue as it can run so many different sets with its vast movepool

It's been a while since someone's posted in here. Anyway, here's a set for my Cradily that I use on my NU team for sweeps and rage-quits. I used to use it on my grass team, but sadly I had to trade it out.

Cradily @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Suction Cups
    Careful nature (-SpA, + SDef)
    EV's: 252 hp, 252 SDef, 4 Atk
    Curse
    Rest
    Rock Slide
    Seed Bomb

I came up with this set after seeing Cradily's awesome defenses and wanting to use it badly. I looked on Smogon, saw the single attack set, and modified it so that I had two attacking options. Cradily is meant to be a pseudo-lead. You send him out first and while your opponent is expecting stealth rocks, you start racking in those curses. You try to rack up as many curses as possible, rest off any damage and statuses, and sweep from there. Steel types wall this set, but they are so rare in the NU tier that you can get away with this. I used recover at first, but eventually switched it out for rest since people like to status Cradily. I have pulled off many sweeps, and countless rage-quits, with this set and I was wondering if any of you guys had any way of improving its sweeping capabilities. To show this set in action, here's a battle displaying what it does:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ph...eague-nu-16785

Mew @Expert Belt
    Lonely
    Synchronize
    252Hp 4Atk 16Sp.Atk 192Sp.Def 44Spe
    -Psychic
    -Reflect Type
    -Low Kick
    -Recover
    A lot of people think offensive when they hear reflect type, but I feel that defensive fits better. The Ev's and item guarantee an ohko on any Ttar without defense ev's, and has a 62.50 chance of ohko'ing keldeo with sand. Speaking of keldeo, hydro pump does no more then around 45% from the standard scarf set in sand or no weather. Scizor and ferrothorn are no problems at all with reflect type, and this set completely checks all breloom variants.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    Mew @Expert Belt
    Lonely
    Synchronize
    252Hp 4Atk 16Sp.Atk 192Sp.Def 44Spe
    -Psychic
    -Reflect Type
    -Low Kick
    -Recover
    A lot of people think offensive when they hear reflect type, but I feel that defensive fits better. The Ev's and item guarantee an ohko on any Ttar without defense ev's, and has a 62.50 chance of ohko'ing keldeo with sand. Speaking of keldeo, hydro pump does no more then around 45% from the standard scarf set in sand or no weather. Scizor and ferrothorn are no problems at all with reflect type, and this set completely checks all breloom variants.
    I really don't know what this this set accomplishes. You use Reflect Type, and then what?
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    I really don't know what this this set accomplishes. You use Reflect Type, and then what?
    It is a wall with considerable attacking prowess that uses reflect type to deal with counters.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: none (haven't trained it yet)
    IVs: HP-24, Atk-2, Def-5, SAtk-18, SDef-22, Spe-24
    Nature: Adamant [+Atk, -SAtk]

Planned moveset
    -Iron Head
    -Ice Puch
    -Body Slam
    - Healing Wish

Planned EV Spred
    252 Atk/Spe, 4 SDef

I would mostly like to know if the IV spread that I calculated on this Jirachi is of any usefulness considering what role I want Jirachi to play on my team.

If the spread is good enough, I plan to use this Jirachi as a fairly standard Choice Scarf Jirachi for my WiFi team. I have found much success using such a Jirachi on Pokemon Showdown. Iron Head is for STAB and flinch hax, Body Slam is for paralysis, Ice Punch is for dragons, and Healing Wish is what I use once Jirachi is crippled or if the pokemon on the other team all resist my other moves.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change."
    - Leon C. Megginson

My Pokemon X (3DS) FC: 0705-3091-6017

TEG banners are by FairyWitch. Eevee art is by Ken Sugimori.

I was looking around at Porygon2's moveset on the PO teambuilder and I noticed something interesting...

Porygon2@Eviolite
    Trace
    252 HP/252 SDef/4 Def
    Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    -Toxic
    -Recover
    -Ice Beam
    -Electroweb

So in case that didn't already make it apparent, the weird move here is electroweb. Sad 55 base power, but I see potential in shutting down things like Alakazam, Gengar, and Lati@s because it lowers speed. What do you guys think of it? Should I use it, or go back to Discharge with its 30% paralysis chance?
    Life is a funny thing. I have something of a love-hate relationship with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NotQuiteSane42 View Post
    I was looking around at Porygon2's moveset on the PO teambuilder and I noticed something interesting...

Porygon2@Eviolite
    Trace
    252 HP/252 SDef/4 Def
    Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    -Toxic
    -Recover
    -Ice Beam
    -Electroweb

So in case that didn't already make it apparent, the weird move here is electroweb. Sad 55 base power, but I see potential in shutting down things like Alakazam, Gengar, and Lati@s because it lowers speed. What do you guys think of it? Should I use it, or go back to Discharge with its 30% paralysis chance?
    thunder wave is a better idea or discharge as electroweb makes them switch while para is cripples them for the rest of the match

I'm not sure if this belongs here, since this Pokémon is NU (I think) so redirect me if this is the wrong place.

Shuckle
    Held Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Contrary
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp. Def
    Nature: Calm
    Characteristic: Likes to relax
    Moves:
    - Shell Smash
    - Toxic
    - Bide
    - Power Split

Contrary is the most useful of Shuckle's abilities (In my opinion) since it makes Shell Smash a dangerous move on it, since it makes its defensive stats even better. Toxic is a common stalling move, and works well provided the opponent isn't a steel-type. Bide is shuckle's secondary means of dealing damage, and even if the move is bad on other pokémon, with Shuckle's ridiculous defenses, it turns that around. Power Split can further add to shuckle's longevity by dividing up the Attack stat, and considering Shuckle's low attack, it will almost always turn out bad for the opponent.
    We all make mistakes, but the biggest one we can make is not learning from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkclang View Post
    I'm not sure if this belongs here, since this Pokémon is NU (I think) so redirect me if this is the wrong place.

Shuckle
    Held Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Contrary
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp. Def
    Nature: Calm
    Characteristic: Likes to relax
    Moves:
    - Shell Smash
    - Toxic
    - Bide
    - Power Split

Contrary is the most useful of Shuckle's abilities (In my opinion) since it makes Shell Smash a dangerous move on it, since it makes its defensive stats even better. Toxic is a common stalling move, and works well provided the opponent isn't a steel-type. Bide is shuckle's secondary means of dealing damage, and even if the move is bad on other pokémon, with Shuckle's ridiculous defenses, it turns that around. Power Split can further add to shuckle's longevity by dividing up the Attack stat, and considering Shuckle's low attack, it will almost always turn out bad for the opponent.
    Two words: Taunt bait. Taunt'll prevent you from doing anything barring Bide, which lets them slap Toxic on you or set up in your face. Contrary Shell Smash is incredibly gimmicky; you're better off swapping it for Encore lest you become setup bait, especially for things immune to Toxic. Shuckle's defenses are already absurd, trying to boost them further is a waste of time, not to mention will make you susceptible to phasing as well. You may be boosting your defenses but Shuckle's not really threatening anything at the same time. Plus, by extension, Bide does less damage when your defenses go up even higher.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I can see what you're saying.
    Bide is specifically for those immune to Toxic, that's why it's there.
    I can see about replacing Power Trick with Encore, you're right about that part.
    We all make mistakes, but the biggest one we can make is not learning from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkclang View Post
    I can see about replacing Power Trick with Encore, you're right about that part.
    Power Split actually. It's different from Power Trick. To stop it from being Taunt bait, try giving it Sand Tomb so that it can still attack and do some gradual damage against those annoying steels and poison types.
    My current (Would-be) Team

Yup, pretty borderline.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzan View Post
    Power Split actually. It's different from Power Trick. To stop it from being Taunt bait, try giving it Sand Tomb so that it can still attack and do some gradual damage against those annoying steels and poison types.
    No. Horrible suggestion.

Shackle is not competitively viable in any tier I know of, aside from a few om's on smogon. He has too few hp's to do anything effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Two words: Taunt bait.
    Four words.

Taunt. Bait. Means. Nothing.

Literally one Pokemon in OU uses Taunt commonly, and that Pokemon is Jellicent. You might also see it on Custap Berry Skarmory and suicide lead Terrakion but both of those Pokemon will probably be dead within two turns anyway. What I'm getting at is that anyone who uses the phrase "Taunt Bait" actually knows nothing about the modern OU metagame and probably should not be giving anyone advice.

That set is bad for MANY reasons, but "Taunt Bait" isn't even a thing. Stop using that phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Two words: Taunt bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Magmortar View Post
    Four words.

Taunt. Bait. Means. Nothing.

Literally one Pokemon in OU uses Taunt commonly, and that Pokemon is Jellicent. You might also see it on Custap Berry Skarmory and suicide lead Terrakion but both of those Pokemon will probably be dead within two turns anyway. What I'm getting at is that anyone who uses the phrase "Taunt Bait" actually knows nothing about the modern OU metagame and probably should not be giving anyone advice.

That set is bad for MANY reasons, but "Taunt Bait" isn't even a thing. Stop using that phrase.
    Exactly. The only time the phrase "taunt bait" can even be considered about using is in vgc where taunt is prevalent. Also no matter how you try shuckle can't really do much unless you're opponent has absolutely no idea what they're doing. it's base hp is too low for it's defenses and most sets are gimmicky at that.

Cred to Astral Shadow for banner
    ASB TL 1, 17 TP
    Play MLG Smash Bros? Contact me @Tythaeus to schedule a match. :]

This is for sixth gen (since there is no sixth gen version of this yest), I have IV bred a scyther (31/31/31/x/31/31). I have not started Ev training it yet because i am not sure if my moveset is good. I will evolve it soon.
    Scizor
    Item: Scizornite
    Ability Technician
    Ev 252 atk/252 HP/4 Spe
    Moves: Swords dance
    Pursuit
    Bullet Punch
    Iron head
    I always like a battle!
    Black 2 Friend code:4900-6497-5068
    3ds Friend Code: 4785-4891-1563

You don't need iron head and bullet punch, give him something like brick break since he can't get superpower anymore or a bug move
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    3DS fc: 0301 9796 4544

Spoiler:- My dw females, will trade for any I don't have::

Quote Originally Posted by Hakunamawatta View Post
    This is for sixth gen (since there is no sixth gen version of this yest), I have IV bred a scyther (31/31/31/x/31/31). I have not started Ev training it yet because i am not sure if my moveset is good. I will evolve it soon.
    Scizor
    Item: Scizornite
    Ability Technician
    Ev 252 atk/252 HP/4 Spe
    Moves: Swords dance
    Pursuit
    Bullet Punch
    Iron head
    Having Iron Head and bullet punch on the same set is unneccessary. I suggest replacing Iron Head with U-Turn or Brick Break for coverage.
    Last edited by The Master Chief; 5th November 2013 at 12:47 PM.

Cred to Astral Shadow for banner
    ASB TL 1, 17 TP
    Play MLG Smash Bros? Contact me @Tythaeus to schedule a match. :]

(Gen 6) I've got a Timid Frisk Noivern I'm really indecisive about and could use suggestions..

Noivern
    @ King's Rock
    Frisk
    EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Timid
    - Air Slash
    - Super Fang
    - Roost
    - Tailwind

As you can see he's pretty laughable. First off is the held item. I'm not a fan of Choice Items, I just don't like being locked in to things so he has a King's Rock for now, but obviously Serene Grace Air Slash Togekiss does a much better job. Super Fang is for bulky/wall Pokemon and probably the only part of this set I'm going to keep. Roost recovers damage but he's too frail to properly run it anyway. I figured Tailwind can be his final move right as he's about to get knocked out. So far he's not really utilizing anything properly though..

I'm considering Dragon Pulse instead of Air Slash and maybe Toxic instead of Roost.

Open to anything at this point, thanks.
    Last edited by unresponsive; 5th November 2013 at 6:40 PM.
    3DS FC: 1821 9722 6232
    Name: Bosch
    Zone: Fighting. Contains Meditite/Pancham/Hariyama
    Currently: breeding 5IV Corphish
    For trade: GEN6 5IV LIST

Nidoking@life orb/choice scarf
    Sheer force
    Evs: 252 Atk, 4 SPd, 252 spe
    Nature: Admant
    Poison jab
    Earthquake
    Brick break
    Giga impact

This is a sheer force nidoking I am trying to take advantage of his slightly higher Atk and the use and sheer force as his hidden ability. Its purpose is to be a sweeper, dealing large amounts of damage in as little time as possible.

Credit:
    Astral Shadow for the userbar.
    My fc is 1461-6314-5371. My friend safari is: Braisen, slugma, and Growlithe
    IGN: Matt

How does sheer force interact with recharge moves?
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    3DS fc: 0301 9796 4544

Spoiler:- My dw females, will trade for any I don't have::

Quote Originally Posted by X-Lucario View Post
    Nidoking@life orb/choice scarf
    Sheer force
    Poison jab
    Earthquake
    Brick break
    Giga impact

This is a sheer force nidoking I am trying to take advantage of his slightly higher Atk and the use and sheer force as his hidden ability. Its purpose is to be a sweeper, dealing large amounts of damage in as little time as possible.
    the only move there that makes use of sheer force is poison jab, making the other moves, especially giga impact, useless as far as sheer force. A better physical sheer force set would be

Nidoking@life orb
    Sheer force
    Poison jab
    Earthquake
    Fire Punch / Rock Slide
    Ice Punch / Rock Slide

While earthquake doesn't make use of sheer force, its still a nice ground stab, allowing nidoking to hit stuff hard that would otherwise be a pain to remove such as rock pokemon, but is, damage wise, inferior to poison jab which gets a sheer force boost as well, plus you don't take LO recoil damage. Fire and ice punch are for coverage to hit grass/poisons, flying, ground, dragons, and bugs harder. Rock slide deserves a mention as it can hit the same stuff as ice punch mostly, as well as stuff fire punch would, but allows nidoking to remove fire pokemon without having to use earthquake.

This is from 5th gen but it probably works for 6th gen because I doubt anything changed (the pokemon isn't available yet)

Porygon-Z @ Silk Scarf
    Adaptability
    EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Nature: Modest (+Sp Attack, -Attack)
    Tri-Attack
    Dark Pulse/ HP Psychic
    Nasty Plot
    Recover

Porygon-Z has a very high Special Attack to begin with, having a modest nature AND Adaptability (which increases STAB moves from 1.5x to 2x) AND a Silk Scarf (which increases Normal type move power) makes Porygon-Z dish out an absolutely ridiculous amount of damage with one Tri-Attack, which also has a chance to either burn, paralyze, or freeze the target. Also putting max Speed on it lets it out speed a vast amount of pokemon. Dark Pulse is a move that can help deal with Ghost types, which can't be hit by Tri-Attack, or HP Psychic to deal with the Fighting types that pose a huge threat to Porygon-Z. Nasty Plot can be used to set up on the opposing team if you have the chance, and could also be used to take out walls by maxing out the Special Attack stat. Recover is there because Porygon-Z has decent defenses to begin with, and can take a few hits, so you can recover health whenever given the chance. Obviously this Porygon-Z isn't really made to last long and has its weaknesses, it's mainly just for taking out a few pokemon (hopefully) before it's done in. Another item choice could be Choice Specs, but that would make it less versatile. I'm not too sure how good or bad this is, I'm not super competitive but from my experience with this (in B2 and W2), it worked really well. Porygon-Z isn't available yet in X/Y but I'm sure nothing changed about it, but I might be wrong. I'm open to changes and advice and constructive criticism so do as you please c:
    3DS FC: 4871-3342-0587

Safari Type

Spoiler:- CANNOT BE UNSEEN:

Quote Originally Posted by mcdanger View Post

Nidoking@life orb
    Sheer force
    Poison jab
    Earthquake
    Fire Punch / Rock Slide
    Ice Punch / Rock Slide
    Yeah I hadn't thought about those only problem, Mcdanger is that the elemental punches don't have a tutor in the 6th gen

Credit:
    Astral Shadow for the userbar.
    My fc is 1461-6314-5371. My friend safari is: Braisen, slugma, and Growlithe
    IGN: Matt

Be ready for a wall of text...

Hello! I'm new to the scene I guess, I've played pokemon for years, but this competitive stuff is brand new to me.

I've never dealt with ivs/evs, so im not even going to mention those.

I'm making a semi-competitive team; a team with competitive themes but mainly in battle spot and against friends.

I've pieced together what I've learned, and I've made a few ideas for a team.

Just letting you guys know, I want my team to not have any legendaries or starters, and to try to aim for pokemon that are effective against fighting types, particularly lucario.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Confirmed

Gastrodon: Gastrodon is one of my favorites, and has only one weakness, Grass. Even though it is a 4x weakness, it is not used commonly enough to be a major threat imo. I don't know how you veterans think about 4x weaknesses, but gastrodon is most likely staying around.

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Storm Drain

Moves:

- Earthquake/ Earth Power
    - Scald/ Surf
    - Recover
    - Hidden Power Fire/ Ice Beam

Eelektross:
    A lamprey-thing that has not a single weakness. Regardless of how you stand on gastrodon's 4x weakness, you cannot argue here. That being said, I have been warned against the move smack down, although most teams rarely have that move.

Item: Expert Band

Ability: Levitate

Moves

-Thunderbolt
    -Flamethrower
    -Aqua Tail
    -Drain Punch

------------------------------------------------------------------

Roles

Tank ( Aggron or Steelix):
    I already have two attackers, now I need a damage sponge. Aggron is a great attacker as well, and can become Mega Aggron. Steelix has a crapload of defense, and unlike aggron it does not have ten thousand weaknesses. I will update this with moves and abilities once I figure out which I will choose.

Flying Type (Volcorona or Skarmory):
    Simple, fighting types are weak to flying, and I need a fly slave. Volcorona is a great attacker and is not too slow. However, it is quite frail and honestly will die to any water or rock type move. Skarmory has excellent defense and multiple resistances, but is on the slow side and has a small amount of damage output.

Weed or Leaf (Dragalge or Kingdra): IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK. They are both based on sea dragons, both weedy and leafy, I just forget which is which. I love them both, but I cannot have both. Dragalge is my favorite in this generation, and deals with those pesky fairies. Kingdra is also excellent. Honestly, if I cannot find a sixth I will have both .

Random (Houndoom, Scolipede, Sandslash, Musharna):
    Well. I have an extra slot as you can see. Houndoom is good for getting rid of pesky psychics and gengars, Scolipede is a personal favorite and takes out fairies, Sandslash is SHINY, Musharna is an excellent support. Of course, Kingdra or Dragalge could also take this place.

Also, have a lvl 100 xerneas with pokerus for trade.

Page 184 of 185 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185 LastLast