Page 135 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 4603

Thread: Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Wat's with everyone using the dw abilities? Half of 'em havent been released yet.
    "Feel the power of our aura!"
    "There are trainers who train and trainers who keep training. Which are you?"

^Because you can still test them on the DW PO to see how good they are when they come out.

New Bible Verse of the Week: Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragin990 View Post
    Wat's with everyone using the dw abilities? Half of 'em havent been released yet.
    The Musharna that you find in the Dreamyard on Fridays has Telepathy so you can breed it and such.
    3DS Friend Code: 2895-7887-7462
    I live in Eastern Time (GMT -4)

Can't decide between these two salamence sets

Salamence @ Life Orb
    Ability: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Naive
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

With sets lets him beat balloon Heatran (or any steel really) alot easy by not getting stuck in Outrage as well as Dragon Claw being as strong as Outrage after a Moxie boost.

or

Salamence @ Life Orb
    Ability: Intimitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Naive
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

This set has alot more power right of the bat but gets stuck in Outrage where he can't switch and gets confused at the end.

Also xenevix is musharna for double teams other wise don't use telepathy and change it's nature to calm there is no point in lowering it's speed also change it's item to leftovers because status doesn't really trouble it.
    Last edited by Darquese; 9th November 2011 at 11:37 PM.
    73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this in your signature.

^Set #2 is better. Although, dragonite really ouclasses is for dragon dancing.

Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu47 View Post
    ^Set #2 is better. Although, dragonite really ouclasses is for dragon dancing.
    Not really Salamence is much faster and stronger while dragonite has more bulk there quiet different, and why is set 2 better?
    73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this in your signature.

you are able to come in on a physical pokemon and intimidate them so they can't do anything to you and when they switch set up a dragon dance.

Set 2 is overall more useful. Intimidate is easily one of the best abilities in the game and it has more immediate power. You can sweep without a Dragon Dance if you predict well.

Moxie is pretty situational. Unlike Intimidate it does absolutely nothing until you get a kill and even then the +1 boost only ties with Outrage.. +2 Moxie Dragon Claw is weaker than +1 Salamence Outrage as well.

Gallade @ Leftovers
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 240 HP / 216 Sp Def / 52 Atk
    -Bulk Up
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Stone Edge
    -[Non-Drain Punch Fighting-type move]

I'd like to run the standard Bulk Up Gallade set, but I'd like to use Justified, so that means no Drain Punch. There are other reasons why I can't do Drain Punch than just that, but now I'm stuck for a Fighting-type attack. I've been trying Close Combat, but the defense drops kind of go against the purpose of the set. There's Brick Break or Low Sweep, but he needs more power if he's not getting the recovery from Drain Punch. Any suggestions?

i would say brick break or else you have to go with some other low power fighting move. otherwise you have to go with something like psycho cut or x-scissor. good set though

Gonna do this thing here where I make sets starting from abilities and see what I can squeeze from them. Maybe I'll take requests.

Anticipation

A fun little ability. Eases the stress of figuring out what pokemon has an SE move. Hardly used due to the prevalence of better abilities on hand, not to mention poor distribution. But to be used, it should be on pokemon with uncommon weaknesses to scout teams. Situationally, sending in a pokemon on the first turn or after a suicidal move that KOs both pokemon.

Note: These sets are intended for any tier you may use them for. They are simply ideas. You are free to try them out and edit them.

Wormadam-S@Focus Sash/Occa Berry
    Adamant/Impish/Careful - 252 HP/128 Def/128 Sp.Def or 252 Sp.Def/4 Def or vice versa
    -Stealth Rock
    -Toxic
    -Protect/Gyro Ball
    -Sucker Punch

Can be used as a lead and a scout. Stealth Rock as Wormadam S is the only one who has it and therefore is the only usable of the trio. Toxic to lay down some residual damage of sorts. Protect to scout or Gyro Ball for some damage. And Sucker Punch for some priority.

Obviously not much of a set here by itself, but Wormadam will need some partners to make this effective. Stealth Rock lures spinners, who you can poison or punish with a Steel trapper like Magnezone. Wormadam can come back and lay them down again, SR is just a lure. Toxic is also fun to use as you can tempt the opponent to switch in a Steel or a Poison type. Wormadam is also Fire type bait. She's actually a pretty big lure for your team. Bringing out vital pokemon on your opponents side only for you to take advantage of, it's an interesting niche.

Whiscash@Leftovers
    Relaxed - 252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
    -Bounce
    -Spark
    -Ice Beam
    -Aqua Tail/Earthquake

Another magnet set. Give Whiscash maximum bulk then switch him in on stuff. Whiscash's purpose here is to cause switches as the opponent knows their attacks aren't going to be strong enough to take him out. That's why Spark and Bounce are important on the set. Both moves have a good chance of causing paralysis and should you cause a switch, might just paralyze the switch in. Bounce is specifically for Grass types while Spark can hit Flying Types or Water types anticipating (lol) a STAB attack. Ice Beam nails Grass types should you score the paralysis. The last slot is a STAB of your choice. Either one is good, but both have consequences.

Sap Sipper. He needs a Sap Sipper for the anticipated attack. Zebstrika is the fastest Sap Sipper, but he isn't released yet. Miltank is the next best thing, but it doesn't have any moves to hit Grass types super effectively (the elemental punches are illegal with Sap Sipper). That just leaves Sawsbuck, who is just behind the strongest Sap Sipper (Zebstrika ties with him, they're both beaten by Bouffalant). Luckily, he packs Megahorn to nail Grass types and Thunder Wave for expected switchins, amping up your game by spreading paralysis on the opponent.

Toxicroak@Black Sludge
    Jolly/Adamant - 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
    -Fake Out/Swords Dance/Bulk Up
    -Substitute
    -Low Sweep/Drain Punch
    -Sucker Punch

With so many resistances, Toxicroak can easily switch in to many attacks and set up a Substitute. However, Anticipation will ruin the surprise that you are not carrying Dry Skin, causing a resounding sigh of Water pokemon in your opponents reserve. However, Toxicroak is pretty good at switching in on Grass types in Sun teams. Anticipation will warn you of any carrying Earthquake or Aerial Ace, thankfully. Substitute is a scouting move that blocks status, especially if you force them out. Fake Out is the usual hit first and flinch move and can stall a turn depending on the situation. Swords Dance and Bulk Up is your boosting move of choice, although either can replace Substitute. Sucker Punch is for priority when an opponent is on its last leg. Low Sweep is odd, but its for the switchin. Lower their speed and retaliate appropriately. You can also keep your Max Attack by relying on Low Sweep to slow down opponents. Drain Punch is for Recovery from using Substitute.

A bit more situational, but it is useful in Doubles were Earthquake is rampant. If you have a type overlap with Toxicroak in your team, you can scout a pokemon for that move when switching in (Ground and Flying types will obviously have their STAB attacks to use, but some Psychic types like Starmie and Bronzong do not use their Psychic STABs). On that note, a lot of Psychic types do not carry Psychic STAB, so weeding out the STAB users will help with scouting. Psychics also have Sucker Punch and X Scissor to fear which should cause a few scares and give you a turn of set up.

These are pretty much all of the pokemon that get Anticipation. They're not suggested sets but they are options for anyone wanting to try out the ability. I am aware that there are better sets than the ones I posted above. Again, they are optional. I am half asleep writing this.

Tomorrow I will do one for Adaptability.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    Gallade @ Leftovers
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 240 HP / 216 Sp Def / 52 Atk
    -Bulk Up
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Stone Edge
    -[Non-Drain Punch Fighting-type move]

I'd like to run the standard Bulk Up Gallade set, but I'd like to use Justified, so that means no Drain Punch. There are other reasons why I can't do Drain Punch than just that, but now I'm stuck for a Fighting-type attack. I've been trying Close Combat, but the defense drops kind of go against the purpose of the set. There's Brick Break or Low Sweep, but he needs more power if he's not getting the recovery from Drain Punch. Any suggestions?
    EDIT: you can throw in Confuse Ray for the lulz Night slash is an option for meddlesome ghosts too
    Last edited by midend; 10th November 2011 at 9:34 AM.

Crobat @ Leftovers
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: Attack and Speed
    Nature: Adamant
    Super Fang
    Cross Poison
    Quick Attack
    Protect

I just made this up but it seems like a good idea. This guy will be for really bulky pokemon and walls. Super Fang to cut their health down to size. Cross Poison for STAB. Quick Attack for coverage and strangelers. Protect for scouting. How does it look?
    Latest Shiny!

Chain fish in Cyllage City in Pokemon X!

3DS FC: 4682 - 8902 - 8849
    PM me if you decide to add me. Psychic Friend Safari with Xatu, Munna and Espurr.

i would change cross poison for another move like u-turn and maybe taunt for protect. cros poison does get stab but i really won't hit anything for SE damage. bravebird could work as well.

Which would be better defensively, a Jellicent or a Porygon 2 w/Eviolite?
    Last edited by jstinftw!; 10th November 2011 at 10:19 AM.

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

a porygon2 gets better defenses, both physical and special and can toxic and paralyze people. it gets trace so it can come in on a dragonite and copy it's multiscale or chlorophyll or flashfire or some other ability from someone. it also still has a very usable Spa.

ok heres another set

Rotom-F @ Kings Rock Item
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Bold
    Moves:
    T-wave
    Air Slash
    Double Team
    Confuse Ray

Myy "untouchable" Fan Rotom. First Twave and Confuse ray to stall them while you set up Double Team. After you have double teamed yourself to max Effensiveness you can start Air Slashing them. With Max Effensiveness, Paralasis, Confusion and a 70% chance of flinching this guy it pretty untouchable. Of course he would have double screen support.
    Last edited by ~Sam~; 10th November 2011 at 11:12 AM.
    Latest Shiny!

PM me if you decide to add me. Psychic Friend Safari with Xatu, Munna and Espurr.

parafusion-flinch-doubleteam set. cool! seems okay. what tier or mode would you play this guy in?

mixed tier or RU because it rotom fan in RU
    Latest Shiny!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Sam~ View Post
    ok heres another set

Nature: Modest
    Moves:
    T-wave
    Air Slash
    Double Team
    Confuse Ray

Myy "untouchable" Fan Rotom. First Twave and Confuse ray to stall them while you set up Double Team. After you have double teamed yourself to max Effensiveness you can start Air Slashing them. With Max Effensiveness, Paralasis, Confusion and a 70% chance of flinching this guy it pretty untouchable. Of course he would have double screen support.
    There is a common rule against double team among competitive players. I'd say replace it with substitute, that way you can get a free on after parafusion, and later paralyze a pokemon that would otherwise KO you, since the sub will take the damage. Leftovers as an item, your enemy won't hit much anyway.

This is more optional, but you could try a bold or careful nature to take hits better.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Nothing is more powerful than friendship. Well, except a +2/+2/+2 Adamant Kyurem Black. In which case, you're done for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    There is a common rule against double team among competitive players. I'd say replace it with substitute, that way you can get a free on after parafusion, and later paralyze a pokemon that would otherwise KO you, since the sub will take the damage. Leftovers as an item, your enemy won't hit much anyway.

This is more optional, but you could try a bold or careful nature to take hits better.
    i agree with the nature part because i could not decide what nature to give it so it will be bold
    Latest Shiny!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Sam~ View Post
    ok heres another set

Nature: Bold
    Moves:
    T-wave
    Air Slash
    Double Team
    Confuse Ray

oh yeah, what are it's ev's?

im thinking defences and 4 helth or hp and sp attack
    Latest Shiny!

If you used that Rotom against me, I would come through the Internet and punch you in your face. Like that other guy said, if you're going to run parafusion/paraflinch, you have to at least not run Double Team too. You're also probably going to want something with Serene Grace as well, since that's what really makes that strategy viable.

@NACHOE!, Porygon 2 is awesome and harder to stop, but is stopped more completely if it ever is.

^Double team is banned from competetive play. I think king's rock might be too. If they were'nt banned, it would be a totally broken set.

Page 135 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast