Page 156 of 185 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 4602

Thread: Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

  1. #3876
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Space Colony ARK
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I saw a video with a ResTalk special Scyther and it gave me an idea to create gimmicky, unconventional sets and use surprise to win battles :3
    I thought of this:

    Scizor@Occa Berry
    Technician
    252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    -Toxic
    -Iron Defense
    -Roost
    -Protect

    This is a defensive Scizor with max Defense and max HP. Scizor has a respectable base 100 defense and ok base 70 HP. Toxic is for stalling alongside Protect, Iron Defense can be used on switches or whenever I get the chance, and Roost is for recovery. I'm not worried about Taunt because no one really thinks to taunt a Scizor

    Conversely, I have an offensive Skarmory:

    Skarmory@Life Orb
    Sturdy
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
    -Autotomize
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird
    -Night Slash

    If anyone actually prepares for offensive Skarmory, it's news to me. Anyway, this is an AgiliDance Skarmory with Autotomize (super-uncommon move!) and Swords Dance. My two attacks are Brave Bird for STAB and Night Slash because it was the best thing I could find to round out coverage.
    Bisharp is my loyal knight. Fear him.


  2. #3877
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maple Valley, WA
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OverpoweredScizor View Post
    Scizor@Occa Berry
    Technician
    252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    -Toxic
    -Iron Defense
    -Roost
    -Protect

    This is a defensive Scizor with max Defense and max HP. Scizor has a respectable base 100 defense and ok base 70 HP. Toxic is for stalling alongside Protect, Iron Defense can be used on switches or whenever I get the chance, and Roost is for recovery. I'm not worried about Taunt because no one really thinks to taunt a Scizor
    I like it. Outclassed to a certain extent, but coming from the gimmick premise, not bad. Put the EVs in SpDef instead of Def though; Fire weakness and all that.

    Quote Originally Posted by OverpoweredScizor View Post
    Skarmory@Life Orb
    Sturdy
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
    -Autotomize
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird
    -Night Slash

    If anyone actually prepares for offensive Skarmory, it's news to me. Anyway, this is an AgiliDance Skarmory with Autotomize (super-uncommon move!) and Swords Dance. My two attacks are Brave Bird for STAB and Night Slash because it was the best thing I could find to round out coverage.
    Probably won't win you a lot of battles, but I could see potential. Play it like you'd play a Bulk Up Scrafty though. Put the EVs in HP and SpDef and boost from there; if you manage to set up, you'll be bulky and powerful. I would also suggest trying to find a way to fit Roost on there somehow; you'll need recovery for this to work.

    * * *


    Metagross @ Leftovers / Life Orb
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Hone Claws
    - Bullet Punch / Hammer Arm / Earthquake
    - Meteor Mash
    - Zen Headbutt

    I need a special tank that resists Ice, and that is a hard-hitting physical attacker; Metagross seems like a solid fit. Not content with any of the standard sets though, I've decided to make my own.

    Hone Claws seems like a move made for Metagross. It has two great attacks for its equally great STABs, but they both suffer from poor accuracy; Hone Claws gives him a sizable boost and fixes their accuracy completely. With his typing and bulk, he could potentially get more than one boost as well.

    The item and last move are where I'm having trouble. I'm tempted to give him Leftovers so he can heal off the damage he's pretty much necessarily going to get from being slow and while setting up, but I fear he'll be too weak if I have to attack without setting up first. Life Orb could give him some immediate power, but would just further damage him, compounding the problem I was trying to fix with Leftovers. As for the move, Bullet Punch would let him revenge kill (which would be appreciated) and overcome his middling speed to a certain extent, but it's kind of weak. Hammer Arm could work, but would just kill his Speed even more. Earthquake is a consideration because it's Earthquake, and also because it's similar to Hammer Arm but without the Speed drop.
    Last edited by ChaosBlizzard; 6th February 2012 at 8:08 AM.

  3. #3878
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    I've been seeing a lot of SubCM Mespirit sets in NU. The moves are something like Sub, CM, Psychic and thunderbolt. What spread would you use on that? max HP and Special Attack, or Spa and Spe or HP and Defense or HP and speed?

  4. #3879
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Space Colony ARK
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post

    Metagross @ Leftovers / Life Orb
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Hone Claws
    - Bullet Punch / Hammer Arm / Earthquake
    - Meteor Mash
    - Zen Headbutt

    I need a special tank that resists Ice, and that is a hard-hitting physical attacker; Metagross seems like a solid fit. Not content with any of the standard sets though, I've decided to make my own.

    Hone Claws seems like a move made for Metagross. It has two great attacks for its equally great STABs, but they both suffer from poor accuracy; Hone Claws gives him a sizable boost and fixes their accuracy completely. With his typing and bulk, he could potentially get more than one boost as well.

    The item and last move are where I'm having trouble. I'm tempted to give him Leftovers so he can heal off the damage he's pretty much necessarily going to get from being slow and while setting up, but I fear he'll be too weak if I have to attack without setting up first. Life Orb could give him some immediate power, but would just further damage him, compounding the problem I was trying to fix with Leftovers. As for the move, Bullet Punch would let him revenge kill (which would be appreciated) and overcome his middling speed to a certain extent, but it's kind of weak. Hammer Arm could work, but would just kill his Speed even more. Earthquake is a consideration because it's Earthquake, and also because it's similar to Hammer Arm but without the Speed drop.

    Let's see...Bullet Punch could actually have some decent power on its own after a boost and life orb, but you probably want meteor mash. If you are willing to give up Mash, put EQ in, otherwise go for Bullet Punch in the second slot. You want leftovers because metagross is bulky enough to take the heat that will come while setting up. My only concern is phazing, but a life orb doesn't really change much. Losing the extra health really isn't worth it on a tank, anyway. An option is to replace Zen Headbutt with a status move (or EQ), since it really doesn't do much to improve your coverage, and Toxic or TWave can give Metagross a supportive role, as well as allowing it to stall out enemies it can't directly defeat. My final answer is this:

    Metagross@Leftovers
    Clear Body
    252 SDef/252 HP/4 Atk
    Careful
    -Hone Claws
    -Bullet Punch
    -Meteor Mash/Earthquake
    -Toxic/Earthquake

    EDIT: I looked it up and realized that Metagross doesn't get TWave...
    Last edited by OverpoweredScizor; 7th February 2012 at 1:51 AM.
    Bisharp is my loyal knight. Fear him.


  5. #3880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by floatzel98 View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of SubCM Mespirit sets in NU. The moves are something like Sub, CM, Psychic and thunderbolt. What spread would you use on that? max HP and Special Attack, or Spa and Spe or HP and Defense or HP and speed?
    Yeah, it's usually max HP and SpA with a Modest nature.

    As for Metagross, I once used a similar set, only with a Choice Band, similar to the specially defensive CB Tyranitar set. It actually did an excellent job of tanking attacks from many Psychic types and nailing them with Meteor Mash or Pursuit, but I found that the lack of power was often a letdown. Hone Claws is a nice idea, but I'd go more offensive with it if I were to run a set like that. I'd also run Hammer Arm and Meteor Mash together no matter what; Zen Headbutt really does little besides getting STAB.

  6. #3881
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,644

    Default

    I actually have another "Solo" pokemon to rate.

    Rotom-W@ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    Evs: 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 Hp
    Timid nature (+ Spe, -Atk)
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Shadow Ball
    -Trick

    OK this thing kills a Starmie, but then gets wacked by an Infernape due to Hydro Pump missing, any advice on the item or moves?

    Thought about switching to Jellicent, but that thing is countered by this one...plus i've used Jellicent at least 4 times with no success at all even on balanced teams.

  7. #3882
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maple Valley, WA
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    As for Metagross, I once used a similar set, only with a Choice Band, similar to the specially defensive CB Tyranitar set. It actually did an excellent job of tanking attacks from many Psychic types and nailing them with Meteor Mash or Pursuit, but I found that the lack of power was often a letdown. Hone Claws is a nice idea, but I'd go more offensive with it if I were to run a set like that. I'd also run Hammer Arm and Meteor Mash together no matter what; Zen Headbutt really does little besides getting STAB.
    Thanks. Any recommendation on how to balance the Attack and Special Defense EVs? I want him to tank more so than really do out-right damage before setting up.

  8. #3883
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    I actually have another "Solo" pokemon to rate.

    Rotom-W@ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    Evs: 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 Hp
    Timid nature (+ Spe, -Atk)
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Shadow Ball
    -Trick

    OK this thing kills a Starmie, but then gets wacked by an Infernape due to Hydro Pump missing, any advice on the item or moves?

    Thought about switching to Jellicent, but that thing is countered by this one...plus i've used Jellicent at least 4 times with no success at all even on balanced teams.
    The set it okay, but a Hidden power can be used for more coverage. Ice works well with Voltswitch, grass nails quagsire and gastrodon. Fire kills scizor and the team.

  9. #3884
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by floatzel98 View Post
    The set it okay, but a Hidden power can be used for more coverage. Ice works well with Voltswitch, grass nails quagsire and gastrodon. Fire kills scizor and the team.
    and now i feel stupid again since i didn't remember that, thanks for the advice dude.

  10. #3885
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    lol, no problem.

  11. #3886
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    Thanks. Any recommendation on how to balance the Attack and Special Defense EVs? I want him to tank more so than really do out-right damage before setting up.
    In one of my early EV trained Metagross I recall putting 252 Atk 100 HP 152 Sp. Def I maximized attack but then I was to lazy so I gave it the 10 HP Ups and the 10 Zincs and gave the remaining EVs into Sp Def, it works well for me, also no hard feelings about the little percentage discussion, right?
    My Friend Safari:
    3DS FC: 1564-3608-3734
    Please PM/VM me so I can add you I'm looking for lots of Friend Safaris

  12. #3887
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maple Valley, WA
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkmnswampmaster View Post
    In one of my early EV trained Metagross I recall putting 252 Atk 100 HP 152 Sp. Def I maximized attack but then I was to lazy so I gave it the 10 HP Ups and the 10 Zincs and gave the remaining EVs into Sp Def, it works well for me,
    Is there any calculated significance behind those numbers or is it kind of "just 'cause" math?

    Quote Originally Posted by pkmnswampmaster View Post
    also no hard feelings about the little percentage discussion, right?
    That was you? You've changed your avatar.

    We were saying the same thing, it's just you were using more lay terminology and I was using more rigorously correct terminology (as a computer science major, I'm kind of expected to). The only truly incorrect thing I remember you saying was that the only way to shrink a number by applying a percentage to it as a scalar was to have a negative percentage; even then I assume I was misunderstanding your intent.

  13. #3888
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    Thanks. Any recommendation on how to balance the Attack and Special Defense EVs? I want him to tank more so than really do out-right damage before setting up.
    Maxing attack and HP allows him to take hits overall the best. If you want to focus on Special Defense either take some EVs out of attack into SP def.

    To live through two Specs Latios Surfs you can run 252 HP / 164 Attack / 92 Special Defense, though you may get 2HKOed after Stealth Rocks.

  14. #3889
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maple Valley, WA
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Maxing attack and HP allows him to take hits overall the best. If you want to focus on Special Defense either take some EVs out of attack into SP def.

    To live through two Specs Latios Surfs you can run 252 HP / 164 Attack / 92 Special Defense, though you may get 2HKOed after Stealth Rocks.
    I was just trying it on PO with Careful and 252 HP/SpDef and he got 2HKO'd by Politoad several times. That's a little disconcerting...

  15. #3890
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Your Head
    Posts
    173

    Default

    I need an adamant Raticate set, or would jolly be more effective?
    sig being edited....

  16. #3891
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragin990 View Post
    I need an adamant Raticate set, or would jolly be more effective?
    I would use Jolly since Raticate has Guts, but it also has Sucker Punch so Adamant can still be used for extra power
    My Friend Safari:
    3DS FC: 1564-3608-3734
    Please PM/VM me so I can add you I'm looking for lots of Friend Safaris

  17. #3892
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In your trash can
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Blissey @ Leftovers
    252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Sp. Atk
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Softboiled
    - Thunder

    Toxic helps Blissey crippling opponents, Protect combined with Leftovers let her restore HP over time, Softboiled just does that, and Thunder is used due to the prevalence of Drizzle and it hits water-types for super-effective damage.

  18. #3893
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UbersSuck20 View Post
    Blissey @ Leftovers
    252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Sp. Atk
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Softboiled
    - Thunder

    Toxic helps Blissey crippling opponents, Protect combined with Leftovers let her restore HP over time, Softboiled just does that, and Thunder is used due to the prevalence of Drizzle and it hits water-types for super-effective damage.
    Could work, and you wouldn't be threaten by Taunt, but a Ground type that is inmine to Poison (Gliscor fro example) will set up in your face, so watch out for that but good idea IMO would like to see this Blissey striking a Jellicent with Thunder after it used taunt
    My Friend Safari:
    3DS FC: 1564-3608-3734
    Please PM/VM me so I can add you I'm looking for lots of Friend Safaris

  19. #3894
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    I was just trying it on PO with Careful and 252 HP/SpDef and he got 2HKO'd by Politoad several times. That's a little disconcerting...
    Well Politoed 2HKOs some Kingdra with Hydro Pump so I wouldn't be concerned with surviving that.

  20. #3895
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    Is there any calculated significance behind those numbers or is it kind of "just 'cause" math?
    I didn't calculate anything since I don't know how to calculate how many EVs you need to survive "x" move, like I said I was bored of EV training so I just gave it the vitamins and put the rest in Sp. Def, but it works well for me
    My Friend Safari:
    3DS FC: 1564-3608-3734
    Please PM/VM me so I can add you I'm looking for lots of Friend Safaris

  21. #3896
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NoCal, baby
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UbersSuck20 View Post
    Blissey @ Leftovers
    252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Sp. Atk
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Softboiled
    - Thunder

    Toxic helps Blissey crippling opponents, Protect combined with Leftovers let her restore HP over time, Softboiled just does that, and Thunder is used due to the prevalence of Drizzle and it hits water-types for super-effective damage.
    Honestly, water-types are the least of blissey's problems, as most are vulnerable to toxic. If you really want to go anti-meta with blissey, flamethrower is usually a superior option, as scizor loves to volt-turn into blissey and taking that out can leave a big dent in a team based on offensive pressure. I usually find that the standard seismic toss applies to a wider range of situations though.

    so metal

  22. #3897
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Your bedroom
    Posts
    112

    Default

    working on a Scizor Swords Dance set, not sure what quite to do though, but I was thinking this would probably work.

    Scizor @ Life Orb
    Technician
    Adamant
    248 HP 252 Atk 8 Sp. Def
    -Swords Dance
    -Bug Bite
    -Bullet Punch
    -Brick Break

    let me know if I should change the EV spread. Keep in mind that I do want to keep it bulky enough to take some hits, but at the same time powerful enough to deliver hard hits.

  23. #3898
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    Doesn't look to different from most sets. Superpower cam take BB if you want the extra damage.

  24. #3899
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Your bedroom
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by floatzel98 View Post
    Doesn't look to different from most sets. Superpower cam take BB if you want the extra damage.
    Although it does do extra damage, it does lower your attack and defense, both of which are greatly needed

  25. #3900
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    Just a suggestion. Anyway, looks good enough. Does 8 Speed ev's let it out speed anything?

Page 156 of 185 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •