Page 171 of 185 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,275 of 4603

Thread: Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

If you are trying to make a bulky scizor, use bug bite bullet punch swords dance and superpower/roost with leftovers. If you are going for the more popular cb set, use u-turn bullet punch superpower and pursuit with, (of course) a choice band.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

okay sounds good, but are his EVs okay? or should i make room for more defense?

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltlion69 View Post
    I don't remember how much HP Scizor has with max HP EVs, but keep his total HP number odd. The way Stealth Rock damage is calculated, you'll be able to switch in 1 extra time and live on 1 HP. Add leftover EVs to Speed to outspeed opposing Scizor that have 0 Speed EVs.

beleive me. use max atk and spe with 4 def.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

scizor isnt outspeeding much in ou. it seems fine as is.

meloetta @leftovers
    modest
    252 hp/ 252 SpA/ 4 speed
    - hp ice
    - substitute
    - psyshock/psychic
    - thunder/bolt

being a relative unknown pokemon, meloetta forces switches due to ignorance and/or it becomes a real threat. with hp ice and thunder/bolt, it gives near perfect coverage, and with psyshock, only one line resists. with great bulk, (scarftom's volt switcn fails to break a sub, scald from jellicent fails also), it generally gets a sub up. unfortunately, its speed lets it down, resulting in needing relatively fast teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltlion69 View Post
    I'd just go for your standard 248hp 252atk 8spe spread, this allows you too maximize scizor's bulk while being able too switch in too stealth rock as much as possible.
        Spoiler:- random peaks:
    User Extroph Made The Sexy Banner :3

Just curious: why would you want to outrun opposing Scizors? Wouldn't it be better to go after their U-turn and scout their switchin and heavily damage their switchin unless it's Magnezone/Heatran?

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    Just curious: why would you want to outrun opposing Scizors? Wouldn't it be better to go after their U-turn and scout their switchin and heavily damage their switchin unless it's Magnezone/Heatran?
    Standard CB 252 Adamant Scizor does 63-78% to a Bulky Scizor. That severely weakens Scizor and makes it hard to use later in the battle, not to also mention, if we're thinking realisticly, hazards would be all over the place, so about 2-3 switchins with Stealth Rock puts him in KO range. Running such a risk such as making it the same or slower speed as other Scizors isn't too great at all, so it's better to get the first strike. My personal spread of 248 HP/248 Att/12 Spe Adamant gives me a faster speed versus other Scizor, and the 4 Att EVs won't be missed greatly, as the damage calc still comes out to around the same range as max Att.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Golurk @ None
    Ability: Klutz [cant use held items]
    EVS: 271 ATK, 138 SDef, 130 SPD
    Nature: Naughty
    Heavy Slam
    Hammer Arm
    Shadow Punch
    Earthquake
    I love using Golurk as a lead because three type moves don't effect it [Electric,Normal,Fighting], it has a diverse moveset [STL,FGHT,GHST,GRND]. It was great HP, and it is powerful, the only downsides are its ability not allowing to not use items and its relatively low speed

Durant Approves

is there any reason you are using klutz over iron fist? and your ev spread is illegal, btw. 252 atk/ 252 hp/speed is its best ev spread, with cb.

Snorlax @ Normal Gem
    Ability: Thick Fat
    Nature: Brave (-Speed +Attack)
    EVs: +200 Attack, +252 Special Defense, +56 Defense
    - Selfdestruct / Body Slam
    - Curse
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake / Seed Bomb

This is a Snorlax I would use on my Trick Room doubles team, supported by a Cresselia (has Trick Room), Rhyperior, Jellicent (has Trick Room), Hydreigon, and an Emboar. The old sixth slot was for a Ferrothorn but I found it to be too weak to actually fight (it was an offensive set) if it was left without Trick Room. So I replaced it with a stronger, longer-surviving Pokemon: Snorlax. Snorlax plays the same role as Ferrothorn did but better. Curse one turn to become "faster" and then destroy with pretty much any move.

The defense EV's are actually perfect. After a Curse it's defense is very close to 300 which is great with Snorlax's gargantuan HP (I feel its HP doesn't need any investment by the way.) The rest of the EV's are obvious: maximize special bulk and attack strength. Thick Fat is the preferred ability countering Heat Wave and Blizzard which Snorlax already takes like a boss and the Brave nature is to "maximize speed."

I feel the moveset is pretty self-explanatory: Selfdestruct or Body Slam for STAB, Curse for stats, Crunch for ghosts, and Earthquake in doubles is nice especially with two levitators, but Seed Bomb is a nice move for bulky waters. Especially since Wild Charge has recoil and Quagsire, Swampert, and Gastrodon all resist it.

Now here's the most controversial point: the STAB move. The only way I can get Selfdestruct is through Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, which is not fun as the natures are random I believe. The only way to get the right nature is to keep restarting the battle with Cipher Admin Ardos until I get the Brave nature and get to that move tutor lady. Seeing as this would be quite tedious I am thinking about Body Slam. It doesn't let Snorlax kill himself and does decent damage with the chance of paralysis, but the lack of ridiculous power is not as amusing. It's always fun to just destroy everything in one shot when you're in a bind. Especially since he often pairs with Jellicent, and my Rhyperior with Protect.

Does the loss of Selfdestruct really lose that much for the team? Is Seed Bomb the better coverage move since I have two others on my team with EQ (Emboar and Rhyperior)? And is the normal gem too much? (I have leftovers on Cresselia and I have to keep all the hold items different.) Maybe I should use a Chople Berry? Should I be rid of Curse for more coverage? These are all my main questions on this set.

All constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Xenevix; 18th August 2012 at 6:30 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 2895-7887-7462
    I live in Eastern Time (GMT -4)

I would throw some of the attack EVs into HP and give it leftovers so it turns into a more effective tank.

yeah. defenitly. and tr is about powerful slow attackers, not set-up. that just wastes your trick room time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    yeah. defenitly. and tr is about powerful slow attackers, not set-up. that just wastes your trick room time.
    Okay so Attack ev's into HP and getting rid of Curse would both make it less powerful making your point invalid. Moreover, neither of you answered any of my questions. :/

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP/129 Def/ 129 Spc Def
    Nature: Careful
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Confuse Ray
    - Mean Look
    - Shadow Sneak/Rest

Overview-
    I was thinking of using Dusknoir as an staller on my new competitive team. I put max EVs in his HP to make up for Dusknoir's usual shoddy HP, and spilt the rest evenly among his special defense and defense to maximize his longevity, as well as giving him Leftovers to go, "The Full Nine Yards."

Mean Look is his best attribute here, which allows him to trap the opponent and then lay the slow beat down on the opposing pokemon. I chose a careful nature for him because Will-O-Wisp already supports him against Psychical attacks, and I'm not using any special attacks in this set, so that's why I decided careful. Will-O-Wisp is his bread-and-butter technique after laying down a Mean Look, as it will slowly defeat the opponent in sixteen turns regardless, and the opponent won't be able to really harm Dusknoir with psychical attacks at that point. Confuse Ray helps because it gives Dusknoir a 50/50 chance to recover with Leftovers, get extra burn damage in and confusion damage, and Confuse Ray's 100% accuracy is icing on the cake.

I'm stuck on Rest and Shadow Sneak becuase Rest would tremendously help it's longevity, but Leftovers would sort of lose their value that way. I think I'd prefer Shadow Sneak because it allows Dusknoir to have a "Suicide" move, if you will, as well as having a good way to finish weakened opposing Pokemon without taking another hit. Also, Pressure is a fantastic ability for staller/annoyer sets such as this, sometimes eventually forcing the foe to use Struggle.

Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by HueYol; 20th August 2012 at 5:39 AM.
    Party Hard.

Quote Originally Posted by HueYol View Post
    Dusknoir @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP/129 Def/ 129 Spc Def
    Nature: Careful
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Confuse Ray
    - Mean Look
    - Shadow Sneak/Rest

Overview-
    I was thinking of using Dusknoir as an staller on my new competitive team. I put max EVs in his HP to make up for Dusknoir's usual shoddy HP, and spilt the rest evenly among his special defense and defense to maximize his longevity, as well as giving him Leftovers to go, "The Full Nine Yards."

Mean Look is his best attribute here, which allows him to trap the opponent and then lay the slow beat down on the opposing pokemon. I chose a careful nature for him because Will-O-Wisp already supports him against Psychical attacks, and I'm not using any special attacks in this set, so that's why I decided careful. Will-O-Wisp is his bread-and-butter technique after laying down a Mean Look, as it will slowly defeat the opponent in sixteen turns regardless, and the opponent won't be able to really harm Dusknoir with psychical attacks at that point. Confuse Ray helps because it gives Dusknoir a 50/50 chance to recover with Leftovers, get extra burn damage in and confusion damage, and Confuse Ray's 100% accuracy is icing on the cake.

I'm stuck on Rest and Shadow Sneak becuase Rest would tremendously help it's longevity, but Leftovers would sort of lose their value that way. I think I'd prefer Shadow Sneak because it allows Dusknoir to have a "Suicide" move, if you will, as well as having a good way to finish weakened opposing Pokemon without taking another hit. Also, Pressure is a fantastic ability for staller/annoyer sets such as this, sometimes eventually forcing the foe to use Struggle.

Thank you for your time!
    Since you appear to be new to competitive battling, I want to preface this by saying I did read everything you wrote and all of your logic is sound; I'm not just ignoring you. However, what you're going for here is not the best way to run Dusknoir. The set you are trying to create is much MUCH better run by Dusclops. Dusknoir is a tank, not a wall, whereas Dusclops is a wall like what you want. If you're going to run a Dusknoir, it should focus on attacking, not on stalling. However, Dusclops can do exactly what you want and do it very well. The standard set for Dusclops is this:

Dusclops @ Eviolite
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp Def
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Seismic Toss / Night Shade

I would suggest Night Shade instead of Seismic Toss. Seismic Toss is standard, but Night Shade lets you hit Spiritomb, which is a big counter to this set. I think this will suit you much better.

I didn't even think of Sleep Talk, thank you!
    Party Hard.

So Beartic. It's definitely different. Decent HP, STAB ice moves, and Swift Swim. I kinda want to use it on my prospective hail team as a surprise rain team counter. I want to run an offensive, rain-specified, hail supported variant. It is made specifically to destroy anything with weak physical defense. Here's what I came up with (two variants).

Pooh Bear @ Choice Band
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: +252 Speed +252 Attack +4 HP
    Ability:Swift Swim
    - Ice Punch
    - Superpower
    - Night Slash
    - Aqua Jet

OR

Pandaaa @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    - Ice Punch
    - Superpower
    - Aqua Jet
    - Swords Dance

Both sets are meant to destroy anything that does not resist or is not physically bulky. Specially bulky Pokemon are a hail teams main walls as they wall Blizzard. Especially Rain teams with all the water and flying types. Aqua Jet is rain-boosted, and is great priority fore revenge killing.

Overall I think Beartic is one of the most interesting Pokemon ever. Too me the number one most interesting. I've tried to run a bulky set and failed, but I have proved a Scarf set works with moderate success in OU. I think Beartic would work better in hail as a rain-specified counter, which is why I have posted this.

sub punch is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenevix View Post
    So Beartic. It's definitely different. Decent HP, STAB ice moves, and Swift Swim. I kinda want to use it on my prospective hail team as a surprise rain team counter. I want to run an offensive, rain-specified, hail supported variant. It is made specifically to destroy anything with weak physical defense. Here's what I came up with (two variants).

Pooh Bear @ Choice Band
    Ability:Swift Swim
    - Ice Punch
    - Superpower
    - Night Slash
    - Aqua Jet

OR

Pandaaa @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    - Ice Punch
    - Superpower
    - Aqua Jet
    - Swords Dance

Both sets are meant to destroy anything that does not resist or is not physically bulky. Specially bulky Pokemon are a hail teams main walls as they wall Blizzard. Especially Rain teams with all the water and flying types. Aqua Jet is rain-boosted, and is great priority fore revenge killing.

Overall I think Beartic is one of the most interesting Pokemon ever. Too me the number one most interesting. I've tried to run a bulky set and failed, but I have proved a Scarf set works with moderate success in OU. I think Beartic would work better in hail as a rain-specified counter, which is why I have posted this.
    whats night slash for? swords dance would be good but you need to be able to take a hit for putting it to use... i would use a diff EV spread. speed isnt a strong point for beartic. if you wanted to run swords dance i would put more into HP. if you run speed Evs, like you did, id use the night slash set

Default Offensive Smeargle!! FTW

Well, there´s a pokemon that all of you uses only as a support option, using to baton pass boost and nothing more...
    I was thinking, could Smeargle be that bad?.... it has infinite moveset and i think that an offensive option for this pokemon maybe can work, with the precise moves... and yes, it works....
    this is my offensive Smeargle!

Smeargle @Focus Sash/Life Orb/Lum Berry
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Modest
    - Spore
    - Shell Smash
    - Stored Power
    - Flamethrower/Searing Shot/Secret Sword

Maybe this you think this set is a gimmick, but with this moves used properly, Smeargle could be a machine in OU (in lower tiers, this thing kills everything)..
    First, and the move that all the Smeargles need to have, Spore... and this move is the key to have a powerful Smeargle, Shell Smash... the best option (if you are running Focus Sash) is to use Shell Smash and next Spore... with one Shell Smash Smeargle´s Speed will reach to 498 and you can outspeed all 100 Base Speed Scarfed Pokemon, so you can Spore away and Shell Smash all the time you need (with two Shell Smash you don´t need more... but if you are feeling lucky, you can go for the third and make Smeargle OHKO almost all pokemon)...
    Stored Power is the move you should use cuz´with the Shell Smash boost it gains so much power and hits hard every pokemon (including those that resist the attack)... Searing Shot/Flamethrower (SS has a little bit power, but low PP... realy i don´t know why i use Searing Shot xD) is to hand with Skarmory, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Genesect, etc... but if you run FF, Hydreigon and Tyranitar completely walls Smeargle.. so you can run for Secret Sword if you don´t want be walled...

Now, some examples of Smeargles power (all this attack are calculated after 2 Shell Smash Boosts):

Spoiler:- Spoiler:

And remember that you will always will outspeed your oponnent after 2 Shell Smash, so you can put their pokemon to sleep and then sweep...

I know that priority movest could kill this Smeargle without problems, but this moveset is unexpected and your oponnent will always think that this Smeargle is only for support....
    by the way, entre hazard support is recomended...

and that´s my offensive Smeargle....
    Last edited by Cissinho; 5th September 2012 at 7:40 PM.

that would never work. granted, it is orginal, but the chances of smeargle getting off one, let alone two shell smashes before the opponent wakes up and beats the **** out of you is very small. and any conk you fight would kill you outright with mach punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    that would never work. granted, it is orginal, but the chances of smeargle getting off one, let alone two shell smashes before the opponent wakes up and beats the **** out of you is very small. and any conk you fight would kill you outright with mach punch.
    Just Conk? any priority user will after Smeargle reduces it's defences, also hazards and weather can brake the sash and/or boost the opponent's speed liek venusaur and stoutland.

The set is very originial and a cleaver idea but I keep wondering why fusion flare? Flamethorower has more PP and Fire Blast has more power, the set might work but it has many weaknesses, you need a rapid spinner, something to clear a possible sandstorm and a way to brak opossing sash and Sturdy, it has a lot of difficulties but it can wokr if you have the proper conditions, just like Lv 1 FEAR Aron.
    My Friend Safari:
    3DS FC: 1564-3608-3734
    Please PM/VM me so I can add you I'm looking for lots of Friend Safaris

i mentioned conk because i saw it in his/her calcs.

Quote Originally Posted by pkmnswampmaster View Post
    Just Conk? any priority user will after Smeargle reduces it's defences, also hazards and weather can brake the sash and/or boost the opponent's speed liek venusaur and stoutland.

The set is very originial and a cleaver idea but I keep wondering why fusion flare? Flamethorower has more PP and Fire Blast has more power, the set might work but it has many weaknesses, you need a rapid spinner, something to clear a possible sandstorm and a way to brak opossing sash and Sturdy, it has a lot of difficulties but it can wokr if you have the proper conditions, just like Lv 1 FEAR Aron.
    yeah, that´s are flaws that this smeargle have... but i don´t know pokemons that don´t have some weaknesses xD.... is only risky as other choices...
    and Fusion Flare... i really don´t know why i put that move jaja... Flamethrower is the option... my mistake jaja ....
    and for the last... obviously you need a weather counter, entry hazards and a spinner (just like every team), but this thread is only for single pokemon xD... i always use this smeargle with the right support

Page 171 of 185 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181 ... LastLast