Page 1 of 247 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 6151

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,805

    Default Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

    Ask a question about competitive Pokemon here; be it what Pokemon would fit well on the last slot of my team, what is the best way to counter Lucario, what is the most effective EV spread for my Wacan Berry Gyarados, etc. If you have an actual set for a Pokemon that you want feedback on, use the Comptitive Singles Rate Thread. Don't flame/insult someone if you think it is a silly question. Have fun and ask away!

  2. #2

    Default

    OK, I'll get this ship sailing.

    So now we've got a new metagame with a whole ton of new super powerful attackers, not to mention some Pokemon with Shadow Tag and new boosting moves like Cheer Up and Butterfly Dance. It would seem like stall would be utterly decimated, but this new Pre-Evo Stone will boost the defenses of any NFE Pokemon by 1.5. This makes Chansey more bulky than Blissey, and it makes Porygon 2's bulk comparable to that of Lugia.

    My question is: with this new item giving many Pokemon new stalling capabilities, what are some new stallers that you think could prove worthy in this new metagame? This includes any NFE Pokemon with the Pre-Evo Stone or any final form Pokemon.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    OK, I'll get this ship sailing.

    So now we've got a new metagame with a whole ton of new super powerful attackers, not to mention some Pokemon with Shadow Tag and new boosting moves like Cheer Up and Butterfly Dance. It would seem like stall would be utterly decimated, but this new Pre-Evo Stone will boost the defenses of any NFE Pokemon by 1.5. This makes Chansey more bulky than Blissey, and it makes Porygon 2's bulk comparable to that of Lugia.

    My question is: with this new item giving many Pokemon new stalling capabilities, what are some new stallers that you think could prove worthy in this new metagame? Or are there any final form Pokemon that you think would still stall well?
    As you've mentioned, Porygon2 and Chansey seem to get massive boosts from this "Pre-Evo Stone". I've also heard that Dusclops might now have an advantage over Dusknoir, and some people may even test out how Scyther (I'm assuming a Baton Passing set) fairs in the metagame. Munchlax especially gets a great boost in Little Cup.

    Final form wise, it seems Nuttre (the Grass/Steel type that can cause massive residual damage) is popular on stall teams.

    Though a note I feel should be mentioned, while this Pre-Evo Stone is effectively a free Cosmic Power, it does prevent the healing of Leftovers, which means that if a Pokemon doesn't get a healing move (Dusclops, and I think Munchlax?), it likely won't be as good as people think it will be.


    I suppose I should ask a question... Has a Speed Tier list been made yet? I wouldn't think so, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!
    Click HERE to be rickrolled... c'mon, you know you want to.
        Spoiler:- I HAVE DEFIED ALL MATHS AND LOGIC!:


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts, America
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Will the mechanic of viewable teams be on the next battle simulator?

    Have the mechanics for EV spreads, such as jump points, changed in the generation shift?
    3DS Friend Code
    1950-8676-5817

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I like Pokemon (...) View Post
    I suppose I should ask a question... Has a Speed Tier list been made yet? I wouldn't think so, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3012042

    This thread has a link to one.

    Quote Originally Posted by fschulze47 View Post
    Will the mechanic of viewable teams be on the next battle simulator?

    Have the mechanics for EV spreads, such as jump points, changed in the generation shift?
    Most likely since every form of battle you can have against someone bar IR battles allow you to see the opponents team. The simulators follow the game as closely as possible. If they decide to follow IR battles then everything has to be at lv 50 from now on which is game changing in its own way. EV mechanics and such haven't changed as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli
    The user above is me, a major sleazy wh0re!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Is there a 5th gen simulator out yet? I've heard Pokemon Online has one, but I can't find it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts, America
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Is there a 5th gen simulator out yet? I've heard Pokemon Online has one, but I can't find it.
    No, not presently I don't think. Smogon's PokeLab only has 4th generation data, but they plan on implementing 5th gen shortly.
    3DS Friend Code
    1950-8676-5817

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    66

    Default

    What's best for last slot (ubers)

    Zekrom
    Kyogre
    Scizor
    Dialga
    Palkia

    I'm thinking giritina origin to neat ground and fighting attacks.
    Blue harvest
    http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/show...n-beta-testing
    Ladder Peaks
    1v1-1/Standard Ubers-2/Standard OU-7/CAP-1/Dream World Ubers-1
    AKA Plusle on Smogon--Member of Team Serebii for Forum Invatational

    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/15mb492.gif[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Credit:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    prox
    Posts
    7,545

    Default

    Ok here's a question.

    Why are people posting RMT threads with Pokemon that use Dream World abilities, when Dream World isn't even up and running, isn't available, and everyone is unsure to the availability of any Pokemon.

    Seeing as Pokemon are going to be released into the DW by Nintendo you can pretty much assume that very few Pokemon will be made available by this method in the first place.

    Basically the point is, if people are posting team with DW abilities they are either;

    - Hacking
    - Not able to play test their team due to no simulator

    Which begs the question why post a team for a rate if it fits either of those two critereas.

    Also before someone says something like, 'oh it's for when a simulator/DW pokemon come out' that just implies you are using theorymon to build your team, and as a cause of this any rates you get are going to be extremely based on theorymon, making them highly unreliable.
    Hey unfaithful!

    musics
    PM for B/W wi-fi battles. If you hack... don't bother, i'll still win.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aipomkong View Post
    Ok here's a question.

    Why are people posting RMT threads with Pokemon that use Dream World abilities, when Dream World isn't even up and running, isn't available, and everyone is unsure to the availability of any Pokemon.

    Seeing as Pokemon are going to be released into the DW by Nintendo you can pretty much assume that very few Pokemon will be made available by this method in the first place.

    Basically the point is, if people are posting team with DW abilities they are either;

    - Hacking
    - Not able to play test their team due to no simulator

    Which begs the question why post a team for a rate if it fits either of those two critereas.

    Also before someone says something like, 'oh it's for when a simulator/DW pokemon come out' that just implies you are using theorymon to build your team, and as a cause of this any rates you get are going to be extremely based on theroymon, making them highly unreliable.
    Considering how few people have the game to begin with most teams are built of theorymon alone. Attacking or questioning speculation is pointless considering that is the only thing people can do until the game is released in their country. Yes, I'm aware that you can import it, but its a fact that most people don't import it. You say that its safe to assume few of these pokes will be released to begin with, but you really have no proof to back that up. I imagine Nintendo/Gamefreak will likely release multiple DW pokes at a time or release them at a frequent rate otherwise they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of creating these abilities. Maybe you are right though, but your guess is as good as mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli
    The user above is me, a major sleazy wh0re!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aipomkong View Post
    Ok here's a question.

    Why are people posting RMT threads with Pokemon that use Dream World abilities, when Dream World isn't even up and running, isn't available, and everyone is unsure to the availability of any Pokemon.

    Seeing as Pokemon are going to be released into the DW by Nintendo you can pretty much assume that very few Pokemon will be made available by this method in the first place.

    Basically the point is, if people are posting team with DW abilities they are either;

    - Hacking
    - Not able to play test their team due to no simulator

    Which begs the question why post a team for a rate if it fits either of those two critereas.

    Also before someone says something like, 'oh it's for when a simulator/DW pokemon come out' that just implies you are using theorymon to build your team, and as a cause of this any rates you get are going to be extremely based on theorymon, making them highly unreliable.
    Until we actually get some information about how the Dream World works, the system goes live on Oct 6 I believe, it is perfectly fine to talk about and discuss these abilities. When we can finally understand what is actually available and what the overall plan is we will make a ruling about Dream World abilities.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default Smeargle's dittolock

    Quote Originally Posted by Arande View Post
    Just commenting about imprison above. Reason it fails is because your opponents ahve to know at least 1 of the moves the user does for imprison to be set up, if it does, then the imprison effect is on the user. Otherwise, it fails. If the users moves change (IE, transform) then so does the imprisoned moves.

    And yes, since the imprison effect is on the user, if the opponent switches pokes that also know a move the user knows, that is still blocked.
    Found this via searching, but I want a confirmation here.

    Smeargle
    Imprison
    Transform
    ?????
    ?????

    Will this combo lock down all of the opponent's moves? If so, will this work on any pokemon switches as well?

    I'm assuming it doesn't work because I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet.

    Much thanks.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CapnWiggles View Post
    Found this via searching, but I want a confirmation here.

    Smeargle
    Imprison
    Transform
    ?????
    ?????

    Will this combo lock down all of the opponent's moves? If so, will this work on any pokemon switches as well?

    I'm assuming it doesn't work because I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet.

    Much thanks.
    It really doesn't seem to gamebreaking as if someone switches in something faster than Smeargle then its going to take it out before it can Transform. If Smeargle is faster and blocks the opponents moves then all they have to do is switch out and since they know all the moves of their own pokemon it won't be hard to predict around. Its definately gimmicky though it won't accomplish much aside from forcing a few unneccesary switches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli
    The user above is me, a major sleazy wh0re!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Mean Look -> U-turn -> Imprison -> Transform

    This is the only (remotely) viable way to pull this off.

    If Imprison fails (I haven't tested the move so I have no idea how it works) when Smeargle shares no moves with the opponent, the entire idea fails (unless there is some move that I don't know about which changes to match an opponent's move?).

    As you say, Smeargle isn't very fast and isn't very healthy.. so I'm sure this idea is shot. I'm still striving to break Smeargle somehow... other than the old spore/endeavor crap.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CapnWiggles View Post
    I'm still striving to break Smeargle somehow... other than the old spore/endeavor crap.
    Good Luck

    Does anyone know if Sand Throw boosts your speed by x2 in Sand (like Swift Swim) or 1.5? I've been getting mixed messages...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    Is there a reliable 5th gen battle server simulator?

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    Is there a reliable 5th gen battle server simulator?
    I think I've heard that Pokemon Online has some 5th Generation stuff up, but there's still a lot of bugs that they're trying to work out of the program. But Smogon's new Pokemon Lab should have some 5th Generation updates before too long.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    158

    Default

    It's not really up yet, well, at least it the update isn't official. There was a download before but it turned out that it might be a logic bomb, so everyone who was informed uninstalled it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    66

    Default

    There was 5th gen beta testing but it just finished.
    Ladder Peaks
    1v1-1/Standard Ubers-2/Standard OU-7/CAP-1/Dream World Ubers-1
    AKA Plusle on Smogon--Member of Team Serebii for Forum Invatational

    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/15mb492.gif[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Credit:

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    What makes PL so much better than Shoddy? Because it looks like you need a smogon account to sign in, and i need a reason to make one.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    What makes PL so much better than Shoddy? Because it looks like you need a smogon account to sign in, and i need a reason to make one.
    PL is Shoddy2, although most people are using Pokemon Online as they actually have a running alpha server for 5th gen. That and a lot of people like the interface better.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    By naming Shoddy 2 Pokemon Lab they cleverly shy away from the fact that Shoddy 2 is basically Shoddy 1 with some slight aesthetic changes. Its virtually the same thing.

    It doesn't even have 5th gen Pokemon..

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lumiose City
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    I have three questions about posting our own CRMT's.

    1. Can we post a team that we are planning to use once the game is out in English & are either unable to find, or don't have the time to find, a simulator?

    2. Can we be able to post our reserves, or pokemon that will temporarily be on our team with everything that is acceptable & a reason why we removed them, too?

    3. Can we put a brief introduction before talking about each team member one at a time time to give viewers more explanation? For example: Say something like "I'm not a fan of HM slaves . . . . " or something like that
        Spoiler:- On Hiatus for the Holiday Season:

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Munchlax View Post
    I have three questions about posting our own CRMT's.

    1. Can we post a team that we are planning to use once the game is out in English & are either unable to find, or don't have the time to find, a simulator?

    2. Can we be able to post our reserves, or pokemon that will temporarily be on our team with everything that is acceptable & a reason why we removed them, too?

    3. Can we put a brief introduction before talking about each team member one at a time time to give viewers more explanation? For example: Say something like "I'm not a fan of HM slaves . . . . " or something like that
    The first two I say yes as long as you post a minimum of 6 Pokemon, and make it clear what 6 are on your "main" team.

    The third one is actually required. HM moves barring Surf are not viable in competitive play of course..

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lumiose City
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    HM moves barring Surf are not viable in competitive play of course..
    What's that mean? Also, how do you figure out the EVs?
        Spoiler:- On Hiatus for the Holiday Season:

Page 1 of 247 123451151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •