Page 42 of 247 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 6151

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

  1. #1026
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Is WIN2011 Raikou allowed in competitive play?
    Some call it hell; it's actually called facing my Bronzong.


  2. #1027
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    0

    Default Is there any way to get pokemon competition where people cannot cheat.

    I want to play Pokemon in a format where people cannot cheat.

    PO people can design and play whatever team they want, as they like, even so far as choosing any Hidden Power. I have zero interest in this, so PO is out.

    From what I've picked up reading the site, anytime you play wifi, you can cheat with pokesav or somesuch programs which mimic PO style manipulation. That is unacceptable to me.

    If I can't ensure that my opponents cannot cheat, then I want to find another game to play. Is the sad truth that you cannot avoid cheaters?

  3. #1028
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    california
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iBlade View Post
    Is the sad truth that you cannot avoid cheaters?
    I really don't see what's wrong with using things like Pokesav or Pokegen. As long as they're within attainable bounds, (no 252 EVs in every stat or flawless 31 IVs in every poke) I'd be fine with it.

    If you don't want to play with hackers, all I can suggest is finding another game to play.

    Quote Originally Posted by \Mightyena/ View Post
    Is WIN2011 Raikou allowed in competitive play?
    Yeah, but it's not very good. Aura Sphere might seem like a decent coverage move, but it doesn't have much use overall. The Rash nature doesn't help a whole lot either, Timid is much more applicable.

  4. #1029
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    11

    Default

    fdsfdsfdsfsdfdsfdsfs

  5. #1030
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cometk View Post
    If you don't want to play with hackers, all I can suggest is finding another game to play.
    Ah, well, that's what I figured. What a world it is where you can't even play a kid-oriented game like pokemon without being forced to accomodate cheaters. Pokemon sends out a message that it's okay to cheat and since you can't fight it, people just accept it as okay. As much as I've enjoyed the game, I won't accept that attitude and will go back to DDO and LOL. Ill check back here for a couple days in hopes that someone does know of a place where you can trust the game to be played as entended.

    It's been interesting, enjoy the game all.

  6. #1031
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cometk View Post
    I really don't see what's wrong with using things like Pokesav or Pokegen. As long as they're within attainable bounds, (no 252 EVs in every stat or flawless 31 IVs in every poke) I'd be fine with it.

    If you don't want to play with hackers, all I can suggest is finding another game to play.



    Yeah, but it's not very good. Aura Sphere might seem like a decent coverage move, but it doesn't have much use overall. The Rash nature doesn't help a whole lot either, Timid is much more applicable.
    I've got my Raikou for my RainBall. He's got the SpAtk sweep moveset that I need.
    Some call it hell; it's actually called facing my Bronzong.


  7. #1032
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Where I don't know where I am
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iBlade View Post
    I want to play Pokemon in a format where people cannot cheat.

    PO people can design and play whatever team they want, as they like, even so far as choosing any Hidden Power. I have zero interest in this, so PO is out.

    From what I've picked up reading the site, anytime you play wifi, you can cheat with pokesav or somesuch programs which mimic PO style manipulation. That is unacceptable to me.

    If I can't ensure that my opponents cannot cheat, then I want to find another game to play. Is the sad truth that you cannot avoid cheaters?
    There are fail safes when playing through wifi that are supposed to catch hacks and disallow them, but the hackers are getting better and better at making them appear legit. I don't like it, and wish there was a way to ensure that wifi battles remain hack-free, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon. I love the game too much to walk away, though, so I can bare it if the pokemon is within legal limits, but will "quit" when I see something like a WonderTomb. I simply don't battle them. Avoidance is a good way to deal with them.

    I hope you decide to stay. It'd be shame to walk away from a great game because of a few cheaters.
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)


    If you add me P/VM me.





        Spoiler:- CREDITS:

  8. #1033
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Opelucid City
    Posts
    336

    Default

    I'm having trouble deciding which fire move to use for a Volcarona that I'll be using on my sun team. Here are the moves so far:

    Fiery Dance/Flamethrower/Heat Wave (the choice I have to make)
    Bug Buzz
    Hurricane
    Morning Sun

    Any other help for the Volcarona would be greatly appreciated.

  9. #1034
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DBK View Post
    There are fail safes when playing through wifi that are supposed to catch hacks and disallow them, but the hackers are getting better and better at making them appear legit. I don't like it, and wish there was a way to ensure that wifi battles remain hack-free, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon. I love the game too much to walk away, though, so I can bare it if the pokemon is within legal limits, but will "quit" when I see something like a WonderTomb. I simply don't battle them. Avoidance is a good way to deal with them.

    I hope you decide to stay. It'd be shame to walk away from a great game because of a few cheaters.
    Thanks DBK, I don't really want to quit playing but the way it sounded was that if you don't use IV stat twink hacks then you couldn't play competitively due to their overwhelming prevalence (without massive effort and time, which I'm unwilling to do if other people aren't as well.) Is it just a few cheaters or are the majority of competitors doing it? I'm encouraged to hear that there are some preventative measures to prevent these hackers, but look around; people actually put that they use hacks in their sigs. It seems like it must be common. I've wondered how official Game Freak organized events are run. Do they permit this type of cheating? It sounds like they couldn't prevent it.

  10. #1035
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Where I don't know where I am
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iBlade View Post
    Thanks DBK, I don't really want to quit playing but the way it sounded was that if you don't use IV stat twink hacks then you couldn't play competitively due to their overwhelming prevalence (without massive effort and time, which I'm unwilling to do if other people aren't as well.) Is it just a few cheaters or are the majority of competitors doing it? I'm encouraged to hear that there are some preventative measures to prevent these hackers, but look around; people actually put that they use hacks in their sigs. It seems like it must be common. I've wondered how official Game Freak organized events are run. Do they permit this type of cheating? It sounds like they couldn't prevent it.
    The majority of competitors RNG for their pokemon, which is just a method to predict when the one they want will appear (or to get a shiny). The amount of hackers may seem big, but they are a minority compared to the total amount of players. I wouldn't say it's common, but it is frequent.

    The VGCs are run pretty well. They have there own way of checking for hacks and catch them 9/10 times. The few that manage to get by get beat by the pro battlers anyway, making their hacks useless. So Game Freak does a good job of it.
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)


    If you add me P/VM me.





        Spoiler:- CREDITS:

  11. #1036
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    california
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Regiultima View Post
    I'm having trouble deciding which fire move to use for a Volcarona that I'll be using on my sun team. Here are the moves so far:

    Fiery Dance/Flamethrower/Heat Wave (the choice I have to make)
    Bug Buzz
    Hurricane
    Morning Sun

    Any other help for the Volcarona would be greatly appreciated.
    Next time you can ask around here for help on sets/spreads.

    Regardless, I'd say Fiery Dance is your best bet. If you can breed, try for a Timid Nature, and if you can EV train, I'd also recommend 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed. For other moves, you should probably replace Hurricane with Butterfly Dance and Morning Sun with Substitute. Leftovers would be the preferred item.

  12. #1037
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    All over the place
    Posts
    1,878

    Default

    After eviolite came out, i've seen a lot of gligars, chanseys, porygon 2's, tangelas and golbats running around...however there are a lot of pokes that seem to be left out...has anyone ever tried eviolite on a togetic (as a wish staller) or scyther (maybe a fast sweeper) or misdreavus? I was just wondering, are those pokes not good enough for eviolite?
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

    Omega Ruby Team:

  13. #1038
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California, U.S.
    Posts
    237

    Default

    I think the Pokemon you mentioned are usable, but they're just not recognized yet. People are trendy - they try this out for some time, then they try that after realizing that "this" wasn't really as great as it's supposed to be. Personally, I don't understand the Tangela and Golbat population (and I honestly don't even see them at all on Pokemon Online), but Porygon2, Dusclops, Chansey, and Gligar (to a lesser extent) can all be excellent, even better than some standard Pokemon.
    Team Building Guide For Beginners!

    Trade Thread - has free flawless dittos! (both english and japanese)

    FC: 2365-5113-5595 (White)

  14. #1039
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I'm putting together a team of three pokemon that I could use for battle subway that would also make a pretty good base for a competitive wifi team. I decided on rain dance, because it has a pretty solid "mix-and-match" style that lets you change your roster pretty easily, and can be modified into a very nice doubles team without too much work.

    My question is, what pokemon I want to round out my team of three? I am trying to decide between Parasect, Kingdra, and Toxicroak. Currently, I have Politoed bringing the Drizzle and a Special set with Water/Ice/Fighting moves, and Dragonite bringing another special set with Flying/Electric/Dragon moves.

    Kingdra might be good, but with a water/dragon typing, he doesn't bring much to the table in terms of typing.
    Parasect is not a very impressive pokemon, to me. He's a great leech seeder in the rain, but I fear his reliance on that weather, and his frailty with two 4x weaknesses.
    Toxicroak brings dry skin, an interesting move pool, and an unusual typing to the table, as well as his physical nature for the special heavy team.

    My 6 man team will probably include all five of these guys, plus wish support Vaporeon, but I am wondering which one of the above has a place on my Subway team.
    Trading for DW Females, currently have the following:
    Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow, Nidoran, Vulpix, Oddish, Poliwag, Bellsprout, Ponyta, Slowpoke, Farfetch'd, Exeggcute, Lickitung, Tangela, Kangaskhan, Magikarp, Dratini, Sentret, Mareep, Yanma, Gligar, Stantler, Taillow, Skurskit, Poochyena, Lotad, Swablu, Bidoof, Shinx, Munna, Darumaka



    Pokemon White FC: 1592 4254 5342

    Will trade for DW Male Charmander, offering Jirachi or VGC Shiny Eevee

  15. #1040
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AromaFlora View Post
    Breed for Adamant if you're going for a Dragon Dance Dragonite (and yes, I'd skip Hurricane/Wing Attack for Outrage but not Dragon Rush - I'd use Earthquake for more coverage). Otherwise, Serious... could actually be "okay" if you go with a bulky mixed attacking set. Draco Meteor/Fire Blast/Superpower or Earthquake if you can't get Superpower/Roost can be usable, but missing out on Outrage kinda hurts a lot. Dragonite will be incapable of outspeeding certain threats (anything 260 or above really if D-nite goes 252 Spe, but if not, 164 Spe is probably the highest it should go in terms of EVs to outspeed neutral base 100 Pokemon and under) while also being incapable of dealing as much damage as it should be doing in exchange for more bulk for a stat. It's a kinda bad payoff, but if you're fine with it, then it's usable.
    ah man ;/ i will skip dragon rush for outrage, i already Evd it and im too lazy now to do it again ;P but next time i shoulda think better be4 i EV =P
    i guess Adamant with
    dragon dance
    outrage
    d.rush
    a.tail
    would be better right :P
    BLACK FC: 5114 3566 8106

  16. #1041
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California, U.S.
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Get rid of Dragon Rush. Its 75% accuracy is just terrible. Missing is terrible in its own right (but some Pokemon have to deal with it, luckily, Dragonite is not one of those Pokemon with Outrage/EQ).

    If you're using Adamant, you can go with a bulky dancer set or a full offensive set (hint: use the bulky one because Salamence somewhat outclasses the full offensive set).

    Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Multiscale / Inner Focus (if you can't get Multiscale)
    Adamant
    252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Spe
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake

    If you don't like the bulky approach, then here's the offensive approach.

    Dragonite @ Life Orb
    Multiscale / Inner Focus (if you can't get Multiscale)
    Adamant
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch / Fire Blast

    Complete coverage is pretty important on a sweeper, and that's why it's better to go with Dragon/Ground/Fire most of the time (using Superpower is an exception since Dragon/Fighting offers great coverage on its own). I guess Dragon Claw is usable on the final slow if you have something like Magnezone on your team to eliminate Steel-types. Dragon Claw is mostly for reliability if Outrage is a bit too risky to use (people baiting Dragonite into using it and switch into Ferrothorn or something).
    Team Building Guide For Beginners!

    Trade Thread - has free flawless dittos! (both english and japanese)

    FC: 2365-5113-5595 (White)

  17. #1042
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AromaFlora View Post
    Get rid of Dragon Rush. Its 75% accuracy is just terrible. Missing is terrible in its own right (but some Pokemon have to deal with it, luckily, Dragonite is not one of those Pokemon with Outrage/EQ).

    If you're using Adamant, you can go with a bulky dancer set or a full offensive set (hint: use the bulky one because Salamence somewhat outclasses the full offensive set).

    Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Multiscale / Inner Focus (if you can't get Multiscale)
    Adamant
    252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Spe
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake

    If you don't like the bulky approach, then here's the offensive approach.

    Dragonite @ Life Orb
    Multiscale / Inner Focus (if you can't get Multiscale)
    Adamant
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch / Fire Blast

    Complete coverage is pretty important on a sweeper, and that's why it's better to go with Dragon/Ground/Fire most of the time (using Superpower is an exception since Dragon/Fighting offers great coverage on its own). I guess Dragon Claw is usable on the final slow if you have something like Magnezone on your team to eliminate Steel-types. Dragon Claw is mostly for reliability if Outrage is a bit too risky to use (people baiting Dragonite into using it and switch into Ferrothorn or something).
    Yeah i still can teach him fire/ground but somehow i got the wrong nature for dragon dance, i'll run hurricane outrage aqua tail d.d. for a while and when i get pwned too much i'll probably EV a new one ;(

    i got another question, for example i EV a pokemon and got all the moves i want, is in that case lvling up to 100 needed so everything scales perfectly or not necassery at all?
    BLACK FC: 5114 3566 8106

  18. #1043
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Where Chandelure keeps souls
    Posts
    166

    Default

    what moves are more common in competitive battling?

    Physical or Special based moves?
    Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/XmetagrossX?feature=mhee

    Credit goes to Tyranitarquake

  19. #1044
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    El Centro,California
    Posts
    5,566

    Default

    Is Cobalion only limited to the two sets recommended by Smogon, or is it alright to run a jolly set w/ Sword Dance, Close Combat, Stone Edge, and Iron Head?

  20. #1045
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Cobalion isn't very good at all but yeah, a Swords Dance set is fine.

  21. #1046
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    El Centro,California
    Posts
    5,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Cobalion isn't very good at all but yeah, a Swords Dance set is fine.
    It's because I'm forced to catch Cobalion if I ever want to catch Terrakion, which I have to catch it with the right nature. If Cobalion isn't very good, then why did Smogon considered it OU worthy?

  22. #1047
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
    It's because I'm forced to catch Cobalion if I ever want to catch Terrakion, which I have to catch it with the right nature. If Cobalion isn't very good, then why did Smogon considered it OU worthy?
    because all of the new pokemon got an analysis, unless it's very clear they won't make OU (Watchog, and similar crap like that)

  23. #1048
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Surfing Forever
    Posts
    743

    Default

    I'm working on a Sand Rush Stoutland and I was wondering what Nature/EV Spread I should use. I'm thinking Adamant or Jolly with 4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed but I'm not sure if the much Attack/Speed is necessary.
    Yu-Gi-Oh: World Tour
    ~NEW~
    A collab fic (w/ Brandy Beavers & Uninspired Author)
    Third Stop is up [11/28/14]

    Heroic Potential
    A Yugioh! fic. Chapter 20 is up [12/14/13]

  24. #1049
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    best nature for a sczior: careful, lonely, or doscile?

    these are my IV bred scyters that came out outstanding with technician. the careful one has 31s in at least attack, D and SD. also EV advice would be appreciated (looking to add agility BTW)

    I have claimed Giratina

  25. #1050
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SerenadeSP View Post
    I'm working on a Sand Rush Stoutland and I was wondering what Nature/EV Spread I should use. I'm thinking Adamant or Jolly with 4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed but I'm not sure if the much Attack/Speed is necessary.
    If it's for a SS team, try definitely give it Adamant, since it gets double speed, and max out attack. Give it Return/Crunch/Something for Rock/Steel types.

    Anyway, look here and decide a good speed stat for it.
    best nature for a sczior: careful, lonely, or doscile?

    these are my IV bred scyters that came out outstanding with technician. the careful one has 31s in at least attack, D and SD. also EV advice would be appreciated (looking to add agility BTW)
    Actually, adamant is the best, but since you don't seem to have one, do careful.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Page 42 of 247 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •