Page 224 of 247 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234 ... LastLast
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 6151

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Heeeeyyyy...
    So uhm...
    I really need help w/ competitive. I don't know how to like, do it! Somebody explain what this is? I made a competitive team and I know WHAT it is, but how to use it is the problem. Somebody plz helpith!

EDIT:
    Just to show that im not some newb lemme do this-
    Dragonite @ Life Orb
    Nature: Hasty / Mild / Rash
    EVs: 252 SpA / 180 Spe / 76 Atk
    Moves:
    Draco Meteor
    Superpower
    Thunder
    Hurricane
    I personnally am not crazy bout that set, for several reasons. K, Draco Meteor wnats to be dragon pulse, and then also, all of these moves are full, head on give it ur all. It should hold focus sash (to get rid of ice beams and blizzards) and Thunder could be dragon dance for a good super power charge up (or even recovery. start up with dragon dance and follow with superpower. or get rid of hurricane for dragon dance and put thunder as thunderpunc. actually dont use thunderpunch. KEEP THUNDER. lol)

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post
    Heeeeyyyy...
    So uhm...
    I really need help w/ competitive. I don't know how to like, do it! Somebody explain what this is? I made a competitive team and I know WHAT it is, but how to use it is the problem. Somebody plz helpith!
    Competitive pokemon isn't really that easy to get good at. I suggest you find a tutor somewhere. You could find one in the clan section, or get a tutor at Smogon, a site dedicated to competitive pokemon.

EDIT:
    Just to show that im not some newb lemme do this-

I personnally am not crazy bout that set, for several reasons. K, Draco Meteor wnats to be dragon pulse, and then also, all of these moves are full, head on give it ur all. It should hold focus sash (to get rid of ice beams and blizzards) and Thunder could be dragon dance for a good super power charge up (or even recovery. start up with dragon dance and follow with superpower. or get rid of hurricane for dragon dance and put thunder as thunderpunc. actually dont use thunderpunch. KEEP THUNDER. lol)
    So, what you're saying is...

-Focus Sash
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Thunder
    -Dragon Dance
    -Super Power

So, where do I start...for one, Multiscale splits all damage done if half when at full health, so focus sash is in almost all cases, it'll be a waste of an item. If you're using Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw is better, but in the set posted, Draco Meteor was used to smash through a defensive threat, rather then to be simply used for reliability. Dragon Pulse is better off for something trying to sweep with a special attack boosting sweeper, like Calm Mind Latias. Thunder is too inaccurate outside of the rain-thunderbolt or thunderpunch would be a better option, still. SuperPower is okay, but it has Earthquake and Fire Punch, which would pair up with Dragon Dance better, since they will hit steel types and such, but won't make Dragonite have to sacrifice it's dragon dancing boost.

So, if you want dragon dance, you'd probably want this.
    -Leftovers or Lum Berry
    -Dragon Dance
    -DragonClaw/Outrage
    -Earthquake/FirePunch/Roost
    -Earthquake/FirePunch/Roost

And that's without EVs or Nature. Competitive pokemon isn't something you can just jump into and become good at, no matter how long you've played. It'll take you a lot of practice to identify what may work and what may not.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

What is the chance of someone moving when being Confused, paralyzed, infatuated, and being hit by Air Slash from Togekiss with Serene Grace.

"It's time to see what I can do. Test the limits and break through!"

PoshSprout Nariya's Head Mage
    Credit to FairyWitch and GTA for the art!

Quote Originally Posted by Hax_R_Us View Post
    What is the chance of someone moving when being Confused, paralyzed, infatuated, and being hit by Air Slash from Togekiss with Serene Grace.
    I'm guessing that those statuses all stack. If they don't, it would change the combination, but if they stack, the math would work out like this.

Confusion - 50% chance of not moving
    Infatuation - 50% chance of not moving
    Paralysis - 25% chance of not moving
    Air Slash - 30% chance of not moving
    Serene Grace - Doubles Air Slash's flinch rate to 60%

.5 * .5 * .25 * .6 = .0375 = 3.75%

So if those things do stack linearly, you would have a 3.75% chance of moving.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    I'm guessing that those statuses all stack. If they don't, it would change the combination, but if they stack, the math would work out like this.

Confusion - 50% chance of not moving
    Infatuation - 50% chance of not moving
    Paralysis - 25% chance of not moving
    Air Slash - 30% chance of not moving
    Serene Grace - Doubles Air Slash's flinch rate to 60%

.5 * .5 * .25 * .6 = .0375 = 3.75%

So if those things do stack linearly, you would have a 3.75% chance of moving.
    Thanks. (: Sweet Kiss, Attract, Air Slash, TWave Togekiss GO!

"It's time to see what I can do. Test the limits and break through!"

PoshSprout Nariya's Head Mage
    Credit to FairyWitch and GTA for the art!

After a Rock Polish boost, how much does 252 sp attack 252 speed Modest Genesect outspeed?

are you allowed to use a blaziken without speed boost in standard play (blaze) and if garchomp is back in OU can it still be used in conjuction with sand veil?
    Pokemon White rotational teams pokes in trainingWhite Fc: 4556 7172 3697 BP: 15

credit goes to luxraymaster for the awesome team pose

Your signature contained too many images and was too tall. Please read the signature rules before you update it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    After a Rock Polish boost, how much does 252 sp attack 252 speed Modest Genesect outspeed?
    After a RP boost, Genesect makes it to 594 Speed. That's enough to outspeed base 120 Scarfers by a lot. So in OU, just about anything I can think of. Exceptions are anything with a +2 speed boost, like other RP Genesects, RP Terrakion, RP Landorus, and Agility Thundurus-T (all of them after boosts). Other than that, I think everything.

Quote Originally Posted by lidaboy View Post
    are you allowed to use a blaziken without speed boost in standard play (blaze) and if garchomp is back in OU can it still be used in conjuction with sand veil?
    The answer to your question is no. All Blaziken are banned. I'm not sure why, they just banned the pokemon altogether.

The answer to your second question is also no. When Smogon reintroduced Garchomp to OU, they banned the abilities Sand Veil and Snow Cloak.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    How many Speed IVs would the Genesect have?

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

Quote Originally Posted by Ducklett12 View Post
    How many Speed IVs would the Genesect have?
    Seeing as this is competitive, I think it's safe to assume 31. I used a 31 Speed IV in my above answer, if it matters. If it's not, I'll have to fix my maths.

Actually, I have a question. What's a good partner for a Calm Mind Latias?

Quote Originally Posted by The Mysterious Stranger View Post
    Actually, I have a question. What's a good partner for a Calm Mind Latias?
    Any staple Fighting-type and/or Dugtrio.

Whats the news on the proposed genesect, tornadus-t, and deoxys-d ban? are they still debating it, has it gone to suspect testing, what? i dont want to go through smogon trying to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by thedarklord2155 View Post
    Whats the news on the proposed genesect, tornadus-t, and deoxys-d ban? are they still debating it, has it gone to suspect testing, what? i dont want to go through smogon trying to find it.
    They're testing Genesect only this round. Tornadus-T atm isn't considered broken. Neither is Deo-D
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I've done a fair bit of googling and whatnot but couldn't find an answer, so I'll ask here.

Why does it say ice punch + drain punch on toxicroak is illegal on a lot of websites? Can't you just teach both of them from the move tutors in BW2? Or is it that most of those websites I looked are outdated?

Quote Originally Posted by virusco View Post
    Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I've done a fair bit of googling and whatnot but couldn't find an answer, so I'll ask here.

Why does it say ice punch + drain punch on toxicroak is illegal on a lot of websites? Can't you just teach both of them from the move tutors in BW2? Or is it that most of those websites I looked are outdated?
    Yes, Toxicroak can learn both moves via move tutor.

Thank you for the reply!
    I was researching builds for Toxicroak and I kept thinking "Ice Punch would be good to fill that last slot!" but it said it was illegal wherever i looked! But now I can rest assured. :P

I'm building an RU team, and right now I have Acrobatics SD Sceptile, LO Galvantula, and Bulk Up Drain Punch bulk spread Gallade. For some reason I am completely stuck; I have no idea who the other 3 should be.

Credit to FrozenConstellation

Quote Originally Posted by Summonight View Post
    Hey there, I'm pretty new to competitive battling, and I know OU is definitely not a good place for beginners to start. But I think playing in OU will help me understand the strategies of many other Pokemon past Smogon, help me learn how to use certain teams (Sandstorm, Rain, Phazer, Baton Pass etc.) better. Anyways, for some separate teams of mine, I plan to use Gliscor and Breloom, not together (usually), but for different teams.

For Gliscor, none of the sets on Smogon really floated my boat. I'm looking for a nice EV spread to help 'scor fit the class of somewhat bulky yet hits hard. I tried Smogon's Bulky Swords Dance set but my Gliscor had to Swords Dance almost 3 times to get anywhere near decent power. The Sand Veil Sweeper got me unsure because of no investment in bulk and I'd like my Gliscor to survive at least 1 turn so I can Swords Dance. What I'm looking for especially in my EV spread is a Gliscor that doesn't NEED to SD to sweep. It can get out to battle right away and start fighting, but if the opponent's Pokemon is not threatening to my Gliscor, then I can pull off a nice SD backed up by Poison Heal in case of any damage. So can anyone come up with a set that works around my Gliscor's Poison Heal Ability and Jolly Nature. Most investment I'm hoping for should go into Attack or Speed

Now, Breloom. I'm looking for the same thing in Breloom that I'm looking for in Gliscor. Takes at least 1-2 hits, somewhat bulky but more on the attacker/sweeper side. Has Poison Heal Ability as well. I recently did a Breloom with Spore/Seed Bomb/Drain Punch/ Bulk Up. It was pretty good, but not good enough. Oh, the Poison Heal and Drain Punch combo worked wonders, letting Breloom recover practically to 100% after every turn. Unfortunately, this Breloom was frail and if it couldn't out speed the opponent, it would get killed off quickly. I'm not too worried about investment in Speed because I plan to use Mach Punch on Breloom, which has priority. I recently saw a YouTube video called "Breloom is Superman" and when I saw that 'loom shine, I knew I wanted mine to be like that, takes hits well, and gives em' back really good! Unfortunately, the video owner does not mention the Breloom's EV spread so I'm wondering if any experts here can get an idea of what that Breloom's EV spread was? I know it was some Defense because of the comments too.

Sorry for long post...thanks!
    As far as gliscor is concerned, a base 95 attack stat is good for a wall/tank, but for the most part it's not going to be good enough to a sweep. Landorus T is going to float your boat a lot better than gliscor ever will

As for breloom, I have never considered it very bulky, but if you want max survivability, put in 252 Ev's into hp and special defense and use a bulk up set. The bulk ups will hopefully make it bulky enough for you, but in all reality breloom is nowhere near bulky IMO

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

I have something that's been on my mind lately
    I have a Terrakion(who doesn't, right?).
    The problem is, it's got a brave nature, and I don't know what set to run. Before you ask, no I will not be getting another nature. Please give me some help with this, because I don't play competitively very often, so I'm not too familiar with the top threats.
    Again, since I'm a noob, please give me a full set and item.
    Sorry if I'm asking too much from you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Superpower22 View Post
    I have something that's been on my mind lately
    I have a Terrakion(who doesn't, right?).
    The problem is, it's got a brave nature, and I don't know what set to run. Before you ask, no I will not be getting another nature. Please give me some help with this, because I don't play competitively very often, so I'm not too familiar with the top threats.
    Again, since I'm a noob, please give me a full set and item.
    Sorry if I'm asking too much from you guys!
    Usually, Terrakion needs as much speed as it could get, so having a brave nature is awful...I'd either go for the double boosting set on Smogon(here), or go for an HP/Attack hybrid of some sort in a sandstorm to hope to tank something, even though Terrakion's better at just outrunning things and smashing their heads in.
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

That tank set sounds perfect as I run a sandstall team, and 91/90/90 defensive stats aren't too bad. Do you mind posting some sort of moveset? I'm thinking stealth rocks somewhere, and sacred sword and rock slide for attaking moves?
    Thanks in advance!
    EDIT:maybe taunt too?

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Usually, Terrakion needs as much speed as it could get, so having a brave nature is awful...I'd either go for the double boosting set on Smogon(http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/terrakion), or go for an HP/Attack hybrid of some sort in a sandstorm to hope to tank something, even though Terrakion's better at just outrunning things and smashing their heads in.
    fixed the link for you zach

anyway, terrakion has fairly poor defensive typing, so i wouldn't use it as a tank-type figure, especially since it has no recovery. its ability to force switches make it a great sr setter, but its main goal is offense and hitting as fast and as hard as possible.

Synergy Chart:

------Weaknesses------
    Fighting
    Water
    Psychic
    Steel
    Grass
    Ground

------Neutral------
    Dragon
    Ice
    Flying
    Ghost
    Bug
    Electric

------Resists------
    Normal
    Dark
    Bug
    Fire
    Rock

so, weak to 2 of the most prevalent type attacks in the game. no recovery either. its speed is its best bet, so i recommend getting a new terrakion. otherwise, use the smogon link zach provided.

That tank set sounds perfect as I run a sandstall team, and 91/90/90 defensive stats aren't too bad. Do you mind posting some sort of moveset? I'm thinking stealth rocks somewhere, and sacred sword and rock slide for attaking moves?
    Thanks in advance!
    EDIT:maybe taunt too?
    Well, in all honesty, I wasn't thinking about too much of a tank, just a bulkier one then normal. It's got good defenses, but it's best at smashing it's enemy's heads in.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
    252 HP/252 Att
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -X-Scissor

Choice Band Terrakion won't usually be in for more then one turn, so the additional attack power from Close Combat definitely makes up for the lowered bulk.
    fixed the link for you zach
    Oh, um, fixed.

Thanks guys! Looks like I'm going to try to find another Terrakion. But I may try one of the above sets anyway.
    Thanks again!
    EDIT: Does anyone have an idea for a replacement for my Terrakion? And no I do not mean another Terrakion.

Thanks guys! Looks like I'm going to try to find another Terrakion. But I may try one of the above sets anyway.
    Thanks again!
    EDIT: Does anyone have an idea for a replacement for my Terrakion? And no I do not mean another Terrakion.
    It really depends on what job you want to preform, and what it's teammates are.

Infernape is a good fighting type if you just want to hit hard without sweeping. It'll be able escape from situations you can't handle with U-turn rather well, and has fire STAB, which is both rare and useful in OU, to make it an even scarier offensive threat. However, if you want a tank type, Conkeldurr is a pretty good physically defensive pokemon with Bulk Up and Drain Punch, and can actually take a hit unlike the monkey.

Page 224 of 247 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234 ... LastLast