Page 226 of 246 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,650 of 6149

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Why competitive teams that use Pokémon of different tiers are frowned upon?

Oh no he's a Homestuck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuestionClaw View Post
    I wouldn't really say "frowned" upon, but seeing that Tiers are also seen as Ranks but with a different name, that's likely the reason. The low-tier teams are lower ranked. And the upper tier teams are higher ranked. Such as Pokemon in the OU Tier are used a lot more then Pokemon in the UU Tier because they outclass them. Though, there are a lot of people who "ignore" the tiers system and use Tier-mixed teams. But, some people may criticize Pokemon because of this and not use low tier Pokemon... That's not a bad thing nor is using Tier-mixed teams bad either, but there are many people who prefer to use their favorites instead of just using strong, and high-ranked Pokemon. Though, tiers are not a bad thing because it keeps everything balanced. Some people may even make Tier based teams as well. (i.e UU, OU, RU, LC, Uber, NU, etc. Teams) Imagine, you would be battling a Dialga with your favorite Charizard, then lose terribly and you have no idea why. That's where tiers come into place. It keeps things balanced.

EDIT: If you'd like more explaining, I'd be happy to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

Quote Originally Posted by QuestionClaw View Post
    As Gothic-Gothorita said they are not really frowned on but they usually can't keep up with other High tier teams.

Another reason that Gothic-Gothorita didn't mention was that some higher tier teams are weaker do to their reliance on both lower tier pokemon and riskier strategies. Some example of such teams include Trick room teams, Gravity teams and Hail teams but these all have faults. Trick room is usually heavy with psychic pokemon and is less useful in singles although in doubles it is devastating. This leads dark type pokemon and pokemon with taunt to destroy trick room teams in singles. Gravity teams are very rare but they have high potential if used properly. They are heavily based on luck so that is a drawback. Hail is the most common of the 3 as it can cause multiple problems for many ou teams since it changes the weather breaks focus sashes and sturdy and allows blizzard to be spammed for high damage. The only reason it isn't used more often is because ice typing sucks defense wise. These three teams all have competitive reasons to use lower tier pokemon in order to succeed.
        Spoiler:- Pokemon that I can breed and trade.:

Want
    DW females not listed
    0 speed IVs

Pm or VM me for a Trade.

Character BRANDON FC 3869 2640 3022

Quote Originally Posted by redcharzard View Post
    As Gothic-Gothorita said they are not really frowned on but they usually can't keep up with other High tier teams.

Another reason that Gothic-Gothorita didn't mention was that some higher tier teams are weaker do to their reliance on both lower tier pokemon and riskier strategies. Some example of such teams include Trick room teams, Gravity teams and Hail teams but these all have faults. Trick room is usually heavy with psychic pokemon and is less useful in singles although in doubles it is devastating. This leads dark type pokemon and pokemon with taunt to destroy trick room teams in singles. Gravity teams are very rare but they have high potential if used properly. They are heavily based on luck so that is a drawback. Hail is the most common of the 3 as it can cause multiple problems for many ou teams since it changes the weather breaks focus sashes and sturdy and allows blizzard to be spammed for high damage. The only reason it isn't used more often is because ice typing sucks defense wise. These three teams all have competitive reasons to use lower tier pokemon in order to succeed.
    Ah yes! I did forget that, thanks for clearing that up! n_n

Question: In Competitive Battling, Do you think Attract works better with Male or Female Pokemon? (I mean "you" in general.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic-Gothorita View Post
    Ah yes! I did forget that, thanks for clearing that up! n_n

Question: In Competitive Battling, Do you think Attract works better with Male or Female Pokemon? (I mean "you" in general.)
    A big part of walling is reliably beating the pokemon you need to counter. Since attract only affects something as random as gender, it won't help your wall do their job as much as some other move, like, 99% of the time. Even confusion is better.

Just don't use attract or captivate in the first place.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 50 Points
    Check out Mega Sableye's shield. It's a giant rupee! It's true, money does solve all your problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    A big part of walling is reliably beating the pokemon you need to counter. Since attract only affects something as random as gender, it won't help your wall do their job as much as some other move, like, 99% of the time. Even confusion is better.

to be honest the chance of attract affecting a random pokemon is less then 50% do to their being male female and neutral/unknown gender pokemon. Its is a bad move to use now. Back in third gen however you could get away with it since Suicune, Raikou, Zapdos, and Metagross were the only really useful non-gender pokemon that were common. Female pokemon are a little stereotyped for having attract so having it on a male would be a bit surprising although using it at all would be a surprise.

Want
    DW females not listed
    0 speed IVs

Pm or VM me for a Trade.

I don't think it was a serious question and just out of curiosity. Are there more male or female combatants on the competitive scene?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

I should have given Jolteon Hidden Power Ground for the Eievui Cup. There are probably more Male Pokémon seen.

Hiddden power ground works best for the Eevee cup as it lets Jolteon beat its only true counter which is other Jolteon. Signal beam handles Leafeon, Umbreon, and Espeon and Thunderbolt handles Vaporeon as well as dealing good damage to Flareon, Eevee, and Glaceon.

Want
    DW females not listed
    0 speed IVs

Pm or VM me for a Trade.

Does anybody have an idea of when the meloeta event will be out in the US?
    And how about the victini with glaiciate, bolt strike, and blue flare?
    (Sorry for bad spelling)

Quote Originally Posted by Superpower22 View Post
    Does anybody have an idea of when the meloeta event will be out in the US?
    And how about the victini with glaiciate, bolt strike, and blue flare?
    (Sorry for bad spelling)
    No idea right now. Meloettas best chance of release is when the Kyurem movie gets released with the short. The Victini again no idea, and knowing Pokemon, we may not get it at all (like a lot of other Japan only events). Keep checking back, because the moment they are announced, it'll be on the front page.
    http://i.imgur.com/ewREnIt.png<--Our Image

Help spread the word! #BringJirachiOver

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    I don't think it was a serious question and just out of curiosity. Are there more male or female combatants on the competitive scene?
    Well, in OU, we've got Landy, Thundy, Tornadus, and Latios, which are always male, along with Blissy and and Latias who are always female. In wi-fi, Ninetales will be female 75% of the time, and all Espeon/Vappy are both usually male.

I'd say there is more male, but I'm too lazy to look up all the gender ratios.
    Check out Mega Sableye's shield. It's a giant rupee! It's true, money does solve all your problems!

Well, in OU, we've got Landy, Thundy, Tornadus, and Latios, which are always male, along with Blissy and and Latias who are always female. In wi-fi, Ninetales will be female 75% of the time, and all Espeon/Vappy are both usually male.

I'd say there is more male, but I'm too lazy to look up all the gender ratios.
    your right on most of that and almost every other pokemon has a gender ratio geared towards male I would say a quater is geared toward even male and female with 12.5 being more female and 12.5 being neither(based on my estimate of ou pokemon that I have looked at on smogon and serebii for breeding and my breeding for ou)

Want
    DW females not listed
    0 speed IVs

Pm or VM me for a Trade.

i believe people use male pokemon in battle more then females
    Hello I own Pokemon white 2 friend code 2666 9991 5159 players name Eve am looking trade here as a breeder and battler

For the purposes of Wi-Fi battles, you would probably want to actually look at the gender ratios of Pokemon that aren't 50/50 and try to weigh them and actually figure it out, etc. For practical purposes in any simulator worth its salt however, you can assume a male-dominated metagame. This is due to the simple fact that most simulators default the gender to Male, and most players don't bother to change it. I know this use to be the case when Smogon endorsed PO, so much that whenever people did try gimmick Rivalry strategies, they would make their Luxray or whatever female to take the biggest advantage of it.

That said, while Rivalry sets can exist, they are still a risky gimmick at best. If this discussion wasn't sparked by Rivalry and instead by Attract, just... stop. Thinking about it objectively, there is nothing that the Attract condition has that Paralysis doesn't also have. Attraction causes the inflicted Pokemon to not move sometimes, but Paralysis does that also, cuts Speed, and is a permanent status instead of one of the ones that can go away when you switch out. Paralysis is always better than Infatuation, so unless you're a Cute Charmer with no better ability (basically just Lopunny), don't bother with it.

What's the most kind of used team right now (xwish, Mono, HO)?

Quote Originally Posted by your boss View Post
    What's the most kind of used team right now (xwish, Mono, HO)?
    That question is kind of hard to answer... but I think Rain Teams are the most used team right now. As they are "easy" to use and Water-Type Pokemon (as claimed by some people) are some of the easiest Pokemon to use.

That question is kind of hard to answer... but I think Rain Teams are the most used team right now. As they are "easy" to use and Water-Type Pokemon (as claimed by some people) are some of the easiest Pokemon to use.
    Though rain isn't really a type, it's just some team support.

Offense, and more specifically, Volt Turn, seem to be the most popular right now. With guys like Terrakion running around, defensive teams struggle.

Question about the Indianapolis stuff which I guess is the national tournament:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokem...championships/

Will someone who hasn't qualified be able to compete as if it was one of the regional tournaments?
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Though rain isn't really a type, it's just some team support.

Offense, and more specifically, Volt Turn, seem to be the most popular right now. With guys like Terrakion running around, defensive teams struggle.
    Rain is technically a type due to its dominance and that rain teams follow 1 of to strategies or both. The first is rain stall which is common in singles due to pokemon like Ludicolo, Vaporeon, and Tentacruel not to mention support Politoed. those teams try to use toxic and average damaging attacks to stall out the opponent along with protect, leftovers, and Vaporeon's hydration rest combo. The other is offensive rain which uses faster attacking based pokemon such as Jolteon, Starmie, boosting Ludicolo, choice specs Politoed, Rain based Dragonite, Keldeo, Thunderus-t, and Tornadus(both forms) to overpower the opponent with sheer force through their boosted stab moves whether its thunder or hurricane with its boosted accuracy, or hydropump/surf/scald with its boosted power. The rain stall is popular in singles due to the slower playstyle in singles while the offensive rain is more popular in double since swift swim is not seen as broken and that stall doesn't work as well in doubles.

Voltturn is good in single and is helpful in doubles as it allows the user to keep up on the offensive while protecting his or her pokemon from enemy attact by switching in a pokemon that is resistant towards them. A popular team in doubles is trick room due to its ability to stop speed based offensive team by using trickroom to allow the teams bulky and stronger attackers to move first despite their low speed.

I personally use a Voltturn rain team that is split for both stall and offense with several of the pokemon filling both roles(bulky choicebanded scizor, special sweeping Tornadus(not therian the other), special offensive bulky Dragonite, and Rotom-C for handeling Swampert and Gastrodon with an alternate for either doubles or triples being dragon dance Gyarados for singles or dragon dance Kingdra/Sword dance Armaldo for double(I couldn't resist having an option to sweep people in doubles after any major threats are removed.))

Rain also lets pokemon like Scizor and Ferrothorn overcome their 4x weakness to fire attacks once(provided the attacks is not boosted or stab and that the pokemon being hit is at full health) and it allows Skarmory and Jirachi to pretty much ignore their fire weakness. Another benefit is that 100% accurate thunder and hurricane is never easy to tank letting rain teams trample over anything that tries to stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    there is nothing that the Attract condition has that Paralysis doesn't also have. Attraction causes the inflicted Pokemon to not move sometimes, but Paralysis does that also, cuts Speed, and is a permanent status instead of one of the ones that can go away when you switch out. Paralysis is always better than Infatuation, so unless you're a Cute Charmer with no better ability (basically just Lopunny), don't bother with it.
    3 things to mention

1. The argument is about which is more common male or female

2. Lopunny uses Klutz to use Switcharoo on the opponent to steal their helpful item(that they usually need to function) and give them one that either:

A. Locks them into a move(Choice items.)
    or
    B. Renders the weak to a previous immunity(target ring for typing or iron ball for flying typing or levitate.)
    or
    C. inflicts a status condition or drops a stat(Iron ball, Macho brace or the power items to drop speed or Toxic/Flame orb to poison or burn respectively)

3. Attract status has a 50% of stopping the opponent from attacking on any turn while Paralysis has a 30% chance of stopping them(although this is irrelevant since paralysis slow the opponent down so you can attempt to paraflinch them to death.)

Want
    DW females not listed
    0 speed IVs

Pm or VM me for a Trade.

How viable is a Rash MixMence with max speed and 64 att/192 sp.att EVs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
    How viable is a Rash MixMence with max speed and 64 att/192 sp.att EVs?
    Depends on the moves.

Specially based or not, you're probably going to want dragon dance, since 100 base speed is a tad bit too slow to take advantage of moxie and sweep with. If you don't want to use it to sweep, I'd stick with intimidate, to increase it's bulk and allow it to come in more, but that'll need stealth rock support.

Edit: Oh, mix. I misread it as moxie. Well, I've used the set before, and it was pretty good. But, of course, you're going to need a reason to use it on your team other then it's "a good set". If it's going to be the base of your team, or allow you to reliably beat some threats you have difficulty with, yes, it's good, but if not, then no.

Sets listed on Smogon are almost always viable, except when they're outdated. When using a set from there, the most important thing to look at is how would it help your team in specific.

I've been trying to form a team, but I'm having trouble with it. I currently have scarfed jirachi, def skarm, sdef gastro and heatran, and cm latias. i ve been having trouble picking the last member:between sd techniloom, bulky sd techniloom, or rapid spin hitmontop, or some sort of offensive herracross. While the former two and heracross are powerful and give me the ability to punch holes, hitmontop can do the same and provide support (although he lacks spore, other key resistances, and more firepower). So who should I choose to help me on my team? I would post this on rmt, but its not quite ready yet.
        Spoiler:- Currently seeking::

I will offer very well

Black FC- 1377 6936 4444
    Platinum FC- 4856 6947 4507

3DS-FC: 3539-8957-9606

Steel Safari: Mawile, Skarmory, Klefki

Edit: sorry, somehow i ended up double posting the same message
        Spoiler:- Currently seeking::

I will offer very well

Black FC- 1377 6936 4444
    Platinum FC- 4856 6947 4507

3DS-FC: 3539-8957-9606

Steel Safari: Mawile, Skarmory, Klefki

Quote Originally Posted by hotcoldyay View Post
    I've been trying to form a team, but I'm having trouble with it. I currently have scarfed jirachi, def skarm, sdef gastro and heatran, and cm latias. i ve been having trouble picking the last member:between sd techniloom, bulky sd techniloom, or rapid spin hitmontop, or some sort of offensive herracross. While the former two and heracross are powerful and give me the ability to punch holes, hitmontop can do the same and provide support (although he lacks spore, other key resistances, and more firepower). So who should I choose to help me on my team? I would post this on rmt, but its not quite ready yet.
    Well, you've correctly identified the fact that you need a Fighting-type sweeper, which is good. However, you aren't particularly hurt by entry hazards, so I wouldn't recommend Hitmontop or Heracross. Heracross isn't even that good in UU in my experience, let alone OU.

I would recommend a Terrakion. It will give you all the power and coverage you need, but with a bit more immediacy than a Breloom. Almost all of your team is bulky or straight up defensive, so a fast, powerful sweeper like this will mix well.

If it absolutely must be one of the things you listed, then one of the two Breloom sets; probably Techniloom, but that's just my guess.

Page 226 of 246 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236 ... LastLast