Page 237 of 247 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,925 of 6151

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Can someone help me out? I want to start RNG manipulating my pokemon and I need a RNG reporter and timer that works for 4th gen and is compatible with Macintosh. Please bros! Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    Based on my own experience using Rhyperior, I would suggest Leftovers, especially if it has Protect. The recovery can be really useful on him, especially if you can modify his speed somehow (Rock Polish on mine, Trick Room on yours). Chandelure would probably benefit from just a plain old Life Orb the most, especially as it can recover HP through Pain Split.
    Thank you so much. I was thinking about putting lefties on rhyperior, but I never would've thought of life orb on chandelure. I totally overlooked that strategy

Which Hidden Power should my Magcargo carry? Should it go with Hidden Power Rock for a good special secondary Stab (only other option is Ancientpower) or should it carry something else? I was considering HP Grass, as that provides coverage against three of its four weaknesses (including two 4x SE weaknesses).
    - The whole Stallrein thing? He does it better.

Also, could someone either calculate the following or inform me as to how I would calculate this myself:

How much damage would both a 252 Atk Adamant Bisharp's Sucker Punch and a 252 Sp. Atk Modest Hydreigon's Dark Pulse do against the following:

252 Def / 212 Sp. Def Timid Blastoise
    252 HP / 252 Defense Bold Walrein
    252 HP / 252 Sp. Defense Calm Walrein
    128 Def / 128 Sp. Defense Calm Glaceon
    252 Def / 4 Sp. Defense Bold Glaceon

Thanks for your troubles!
    - The whole Stallrein thing? He does it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ducky209 View Post
    Can someone help me out? I want to start RNG manipulating my pokemon and I need a RNG reporter and timer that works for 4th gen and is compatible with Macintosh. Please bros! Thanks in advance
    You need a PPRNG program for Macs if you want to rng.
    Eon timer should work for both Macs and Windows, but im not sure
    [img]http://i41.*******.com/2m2fivq.png[/img]
    Lovely Art by Equal-to-Heaven
    Join the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    |PASBL|FB|Manga|A little something to watch|Art|
    [img]http://i42.*******.com/2lw4umr.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel562 View Post
    Also, could someone either calculate the following or inform me as to how I would calculate this myself:

How much damage would both a 252 Atk Adamant Bisharp's Sucker Punch and a 252 Sp. Atk Modest Hydreigon's Dark Pulse do against the following:
    252 Def / 212 Sp. Def Timid Blastoise
    Bisharp: 37.12% to 44.15% HP damage
    Hydreigon: 37.12% to 44.15% HP damage

252 HP / 252 Defense Bold Walrein
    Bisharp: 18.63% to 22.17% HP damage
    Hydreigon: 36.08% to 42.69% HP damage

252 HP / 252 Sp. Defense Calm Walrein
    Bisharp: 36.08% to 42.69% HP damage
    Hydreigon: 25.71% to 30.42% HP damage

128 Def / 128 Sp. Defense Calm Glaceon
    Bisharp: 42.44% to 50.18% HP damage
    Hydreigon: 43.17% to 50.92% HP damage

252 Def / 4 Sp. Defense Bold Glaceon
    Bisharp: 34.69% to 41.33% HP damage
    Hydreigon: 53.51% to 63.47% HP damage
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

How does one know when to invest in HP or Defense/Sp Defense EVs? Or both?
    And how do you know how much EVs then to give to each?
    I know this depends on each Pokemon, but when you consider a Pokemon, how do you go about figuring this out?
    Emerald:
    Black:

Quote Originally Posted by LilAxew View Post
    I know this depends on each Pokemon, but when you consider a Pokemon, how do you go about figuring this out?
    Generally what I do is find an attack and see if I can live it with X amount of Ev's or try for a 2hko. If there is an important download abuser in the tier you will want to abuse their ability and put Ev's into the def stat that will not boost them (example in uu people put 4 Ev's on Swamperts sp def instead of hp to make P2 download an attack boost.) people also will try to minimize life orb damage, stealth rock damage, or maximize leftovers recovery by adding in certain Ev's to hit X amount of hp points (generally a number just 1 below being divisible by 4 for stealth rocks and life orb iirc, and a number divisible by 16 for leftovers)

There are more in depth reasons but this is the general gist of it

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

Could Mandibuzz function as a decent wall on an OU Hail team?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Spaceman~ View Post
    Could Mandibuzz function as a decent wall on an OU Hail team?
    Maybe with proper team support. Its stats are higher than I thought they were. However, you would have to really be able to support it. For instance, you would really need some kind of cleric. It is very susceptible to status and has no way of clearing its own status. You'd also obviously need a spinner, as it is weak to SR. Finally, you'd obviously need something to take out Rock-type users; kind of a no-brainer. However, aside from the obvious "don't let Conkeldurr or Terrakion Stone Edge you," I can't think of anything off the top of my head that just straight up destroys it. I'd say it'd be worth trying if you think it would work. However, realize it is in RU for a reason, and at least in my experience, Smogon tends to get the tiering pretty spot on; using lower tier Pokemon in higher tiers tends to not work in practice, at least from what I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    Maybe with proper team support. Its stats are higher than I thought they were. However, you would have to really be able to support it. For instance, you would really need some kind of cleric. It is very susceptible to status and has no way of clearing its own status. You'd also obviously need a spinner, as it is weak to SR. Finally, you'd obviously need something to take out Rock-type users; kind of a no-brainer. However, aside from the obvious "don't let Conkeldurr or Terrakion Stone Edge you," I can't think of anything off the top of my head that just straight up destroys it. I'd say it'd be worth trying if you think it would work. However, realize it is in RU for a reason, and at least in my experience, Smogon tends to get the tiering pretty spot on; using lower tier Pokemon in higher tiers tends to not work in practice, at least from what I've tried.
    Adding onto this....
    With the multitude of Rain teams out there, you might want to watch out for ice beam and Thunder/Thunderbolt users out there.
    And if facing another hail team (unlikely as it is) pokemon that use Blizzard.
    [img]http://i41.*******.com/2m2fivq.png[/img]
    Lovely Art by Equal-to-Heaven
    Join the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    |PASBL|FB|Manga|A little something to watch|Art|
    [img]http://i42.*******.com/2lw4umr.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by LilAxew View Post
    Generally, for defensive pokes, it's best to max HP for bulk on both sides. The exceptions are when you need to beat a download user or if something already has so much HP that you get more use out of boosting one defense. HP gives you less total bulk, but a little on both sides. One defense gives you more bulk, but only on that side.

Also, if there's a certain threat you want to live a hit from, run calcs until you figure out how much you need to invest. If not, see the first part of my post.

Let's say you run into 3 Pokemon that give 1 Speed EV each and KO every one, if you bump into and KO a Pokemon with different EVs, will that restart the process, so the next Pokemon with a Speed EV that you bump into won't give you one boost in Speed? In other words, do you have to defeat the Pokemon in succession in order to get the stat boost you desire, or does the game keep track of your retrieved EVs, and you can gain a boost even if they weren't all in a row?
    << Move your eyes in this direction to experience cuteness beyond comprehension. Thank you for your cooperation.

If you have any complaints or concerns, please report them to my psychiatrist.

How do EVs work? How many can you use altogether for one Pokemon? 255, 510? How many stats can you max out, and if you were to, how much would the stat go up by?
    << Move your eyes in this direction to experience cuteness beyond comprehension. Thank you for your cooperation.

How do EVs work? How many can you use altogether for one Pokemon? 255, 510? How many stats can you max out, and if you were to, how much would the stat go up by?

Quote Originally Posted by UUTrainerUU View Post
    You can find the answers to all of those questions here: http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

But it's 255 per single stat, 510 total. At level 100, 4 EVs = 1 stat point, so at most, a Pokemon can gain 63 stat points in a single stat via EV training (252/4 = 63, since 255 doesn't go into 4). Two stats can be "maxed" via EVs, albeit technically one if you factor in nature.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    You can find the answers to all of those questions here: http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

But it's 255 per single stat, 510 total. At level 100, 4 EVs = 1 stat point, so at most, a Pokemon can gain 63 stat points in a single stat via EV training (252/4 = 63, since 255 doesn't go into 4). Two stats can be "maxed" via EVs, albeit technically one if you factor in nature.
    Okay, so if you wanted to, you can divide the EVs among the stats, and get 63 for every stat? Would that make 255 the max for 2 stats?

Thanks, it's much less confusing now.

Hello ;]
    I'm quite new/old in all this... used to just collect Pokes, y'know?(Missing only about Kyogre, Rayquaza, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect)
    Now I wanna get into competitive battling... (I'm not even sure if I'm posting this where I should be)
    So I want to ask if RNG Pokemon are needed to do well in competitive battling?
    So far I've been catching the same Legendaries over and over again until I get decent IVs and nature(thanks to Synchro slaves) and breeding with Power items and an Everstone for awesome bred Pokemon
    The best bred Pokemon I got was a 31/31/23/31/31/31 Adamant Gible, which is the closest I got to flawless(flawless is 31 IVs in everything right?)
    Legendaries... I just keep catching them until I receive 31 IV in like Attack/Sp Attack and everything else 15+ and a decent Nature(Kyurem took me 3 days :[ )
    So yeah I just think... All this effort will go to waste if I need RNG'd Pokemon for competitive battling... I just hope I won't need this...
    Number of online battles I've ever done: 0
    So still no experience either...
    By the way, any tips for someone who's just starting with all this?

You don't "need" RNG'd Pokemon per se, as they end up exactly the same as Pokemon bred for IVs the old fashioned way. The only difference is the amount of time it takes to get to that end result, and the fact that RNG'ing (after learning it, since it takes a considerable amount of time and effort to actually learn it) can cut down tremendously on the amount of time and variance involved, makes it the more desirable method for many. This is especially true when you need a specific Hidden Power, because trying to breed for Hidden Power without RNG'ing is quite the ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferHobo View Post
    Hello ;]
    I'm quite new/old in all this... used to just collect Pokes, y'know?(Missing only about Kyogre, Rayquaza, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect)
    Now I wanna get into competitive battling... (I'm not even sure if I'm posting this where I should be)
    So I want to ask if RNG Pokemon are needed to do well in competitive battling?
    So far I've been catching the same Legendaries over and over again until I get decent IVs and nature(thanks to Synchro slaves) and breeding with Power items and an Everstone for awesome bred Pokemon
    The best bred Pokemon I got was a 31/31/23/31/31/31 Adamant Gible, which is the closest I got to flawless(flawless is 31 IVs in everything right?)
    L/egendaries... I just keep catching them until I receive 31 IV in like Attack/Sp Attack and everything else 15+ and a decent Nature(Kyurem took me 3 days :[ )
    So yeah I just think... All this effort will go to waste if I need RNG'd Pokemon for competitive battling... I just hope I won't need this...
    Number of online battles I've ever done: 0
    So still no experience either...
    By the way, any tips for someone who's just starting with all this?
    Okay my friends call me over competitive and the most I get is 2-3 max IVs on each of my pokemon with the best possible nature(only exception being when I got lucky and bred a male timid dw vulpix with 31/7/29/31/31/31 with def being near perfect and attack being a non factor.) Not everyone goes for the perfect pokemon and you can still play competitively without them although your at a slight disadvantage(slight being the key word) unless its for hidden power then that's different(best hidden power was on my Jolteon hidden power ice 70 power) You pokemon are well above my standard so apart from strategy and what you go up against you should be fine.
        Spoiler:- Pokemon that I can breed and trade.:

Want
    DW females not listed
    0 speed IVs

Pm or VM me for a Trade.

Character BRANDON FC 3869 2640 3022

Okay... good to know I won't be at a huge disadvantage... And that Gible was just pure luck... the other IV bred Pokemon I have are a 31 in HP, DEF, SpDEF and ATT Larvitar(I named it Godzilla ;] ) and a Beldum with 31 in HP, DEF and ATT(All these three are outstanding and on my SS)
    From what I understood when you breed you only get like 3 IVs from the parents so I don't think I can breed for flawless Pokemon like those RNG'd.. I'm pretty sure that Gible was just luck and that I won't get anymore Pokemon like it(And now I want one with its hidden ability..)
    So anyways thank you all for your answers, I hope these RNG'd won't come by very often and I have a few more questions I just thought about:
    1.If I keep breeding the same Pokemon which has high IVs until it gets more and more, would that work? or is it true that only 3 IVs are passed down and that Gible was just luck?
    2.So far on my in-game teams I only used offensive moves, not any status... Should I start using those? I mean like, while the opponent uses all these status moves I usually knock them out... but just in-game...
    3.I've seen competitive battles on Youtube(I watch ThePikaWu and Haydunn) and I notice people are switching too often... is that some sort of a strategy? I just think it's annoying having to switch every 2nd Pokemon, can't there be like competitive battles without switching too much? Or do everyone act like that?
    4.How do I start all this business? Like, starting an online competitive career
    5.Any tips? :\
    Sorry for these long posts ._.

^ #3- Why wouldn't you switch if a pokemon that would obviously kill you comes in? Say you have a Tyranitar in, and the opponent sends in a terrakion. Would you stay in? No. Obviously you should switch. It gets much more complicated though. Basically, you have to predict what the opponent will switch to so you can have a favorable matchup. Then you have to predict the opponent's switching, so you can hit a pokemon hard. The main thing you have to learn is how to work out in your head the most logical course of action for your opponent, and therefore you. You also have to figure out the safest play if you don't know what the opponent will do. This is called prediction.

Comments in bold.

1. If I keep breeding the same Pokemon which has high IVs until it gets more and more, would that work? or is it true that only 3 IVs are passed down and that Gible was just luck?

Okay you only pass on 3 IVs total from both parents at most(sometimes you only pass done 1 or 2 so you at best you have a 1/12 chance of passing down IVs if you don't use the power items.) This is for 5th gen I think I read somewhere that you pass down 3 from each parent in HG/SS but I'm not sure. I breed on white 2 to pass down abilities and natures faster.

2.So far on my in-game teams I only used offensive moves, not any status... Should I start using those? I mean like, while the opponent uses all these status moves I usually knock them out... but just in-game...

In game and competitive are very different and status is a big support option. I generally don't use status except for will-o-wisp on my Rotom-C/W and Toxic on my Politoed but those do come in handy from time to time, other support options include taunt and tail wind as they can really help in doubles and in the case of taunt single battles.

3.I've seen competitive battles on Youtube(I watch ThePikaWu and Haydunn) and I notice people are switching too often... is that some sort of a strategy? I just think it's annoying having to switch every 2nd Pokemon, can't there be like competitive battles without switching too much? Or do everyone act like that?

Like the guy above or below me depending on how you have your veiw of the forum set you don't want to leave in a pokemon that is going to die or do nothing to an opponent. If you have Blissey vs calm mind Jirachi You well switch as Jirachi well calm mind to +6 and then try to kill Blissey and if it has Psyshock you are screwed for the rest of the match. If your pokemon is going to faint then your better of swapping or letting die to get a revenge kill but it all depends on the situation.

4.How do I start all this business? Like, starting an online competitive career

If you can play pokemon showdown then try it and go to smogon, if not then go to smogon anyway they have a lot of information on competitive battling. If you want to participate in the video game tournaments by nintendo then You well need to play your ds and breed a good team. Smogon can help you there as well.

5.Any tips? :\

The above tips and also look at popular teams and how they work that might help you pick a style or strategy.
        Spoiler:- Pokemon that I can breed and trade.:

Want
    DW females not listed
    0 speed IVs

Pm or VM me for a Trade.

Character BRANDON FC 3869 2640 3022

On Gothitelle's Smogon page it says that only male Gothitelle are allowed to have Shadow Tag. I've looked into it, but can not figure out how gender makes a difference. Why are only males allowed to have Shadow Tag?

Page 237 of 247 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241 ... LastLast