Page 238 of 246 FirstFirst ... 138188228234235236237238239240241242 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,950 of 6149

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Quote Originally Posted by bolter1 View Post
    On Gothitelle's Smogon page it says that only male Gothitelle are allowed to have Shadow Tag. I've looked into it, but can not figure out how gender makes a difference. Why are only males allowed to have Shadow Tag?
    Because Gothitelle is not regularly available in the Dream World. Gothoritas with their Dream World Ability (Shadow Tag) were given away as a Global Link promotion, but these promotional Gothoritas (and thus, Gothitelles) were all male; ergo, the only legitimate, non-hacked Shadow Tag Gothitelles are male.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Because Gothitelle is not regularly available in the Dream World. Gothoritas with their Dream World Ability (Shadow Tag) were given away as a Global Link promotion, but these promotional Gothoritas (and thus, Gothitelles) were all male; ergo, the only legitimate, non-hacked Shadow Tag Gothitelles are male.
    Ah, thanks for clarifying that for me.

Hello all,
    I am competing in VGC soon and i had a question about my team. I have a pretty crippling weakness to rain teams (i have a cresselia chandelure ursaring rhyperior gliscor and dragonite) and the only supereffective move i have is energy ball on my chandelure. I was wondering, should i switch out my ursaring for a toxicroak to counter rain? All opinions are welcome thank you for replying

Quote Originally Posted by poyplemcmuffins View Post
    Hello all,
    I am competing in VGC soon and i had a question about my team. I have a pretty crippling weakness to rain teams (i have a cresselia chandelure ursaring rhyperior gliscor and dragonite) and the only supereffective move i have is energy ball on my chandelure. I was wondering, should i switch out my ursaring for a toxicroak to counter rain? All opinions are welcome thank you for replying
    You might want to drop Rhyperior as Rain will ruin him 100% of the time, with his 4x weakness to water, poor special defense, and nonexistent speed. Ursaring isn't really worth much either, as he's pretty much outclassed by Conkeldurr.

If you're looking for a hard counter to rain, Toxicroak isn't it. He may absorb water, but his low special defense means he can't take repeated perfectly accurate Thunders, and a single perfectly accurate Hurricane will end him. Toxicroak is actually used on rain teams to break through rain-counters such as Ferrothorn and Blissey. To that end, try something like Ferrothorn or Rotom-W for dealing with Rain, both of whom have the bulk and resistances to take common attacks of rain teams, and the STABs to bite back hard.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    You might want to drop Rhyperior as Rain will ruin him 100% of the time, with his 4x weakness to water, poor special defense, and nonexistent speed. Ursaring isn't really worth much either, as he's pretty much outclassed by Conkeldurr.

If you're looking for a hard counter to rain, Toxicroak isn't it. He may absorb water, but his low special defense means he can't take repeated perfectly accurate Thunders, and a single perfectly accurate Hurricane will end him. Toxicroak is actually used on rain teams to break through rain-counters such as Ferrothorn and Blissey. To that end, try something like Ferrothorn or Rotom-W for dealing with Rain, both of whom have the bulk and resistances to take common attacks of rain teams, and the STABs to bite back hard.
    I am probably going to drop ursaring for a rain stopper and keep rhyperior for the things it is bad against. But the question is, which should i choose? I would like one that is an attacker and can function well in or out of trick room. Thanks for any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by poyplemcmuffins View Post
    I am probably going to drop ursaring for a rain stopper and keep rhyperior for the things it is bad against. But the question is, which should i choose? I would like one that is an attacker and can function well in or out of trick room. Thanks for any suggestions
    As KillerDraco said, Rotom-W and Ferrothorn are both excellent rain checks. If you want a physical attacker (I assume that's what you meant by "an attacker") and something that can work with TR though, Ferrothorn would probably be a better bet. It is a powerful physical attacker and can work in (low speed) or out (Gyro Ball) of TR, I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    As KillerDraco said, Rotom-W and Ferrothorn are both excellent rain checks. If you want a physical attacker (I assume that's what you meant by "an attacker") and something that can work with TR though, Ferrothorn would probably be a better bet. It is a powerful physical attacker and can work in (low speed) or out (Gyro Ball) of TR, I would imagine.
    Thank you very much for the suggestion. I am going to use it and hopefully it will work!

Hello everyone!

I haven't played much Pokemon for a while now. I used to play competitively in DDPt days but I've stopped when I heard that Gamefreak stopped the "Level shoots to 100 when you play online" opition. This was a year or so ago. I'm back now and I want to play competitvely again.

Here's my question, what kind of strategy do I want follow if I want to level up my Pokemon to 100 quickly after I EV train them.
    Black IGN:4083 5029 5772

Quote Originally Posted by Cena_#1 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I haven't played much Pokemon for a while now. I used to play competitively in DDPt days but I've stopped when I heard that Gamefreak stopped the "Level shoots to 100 when you play online" opition. This was a year or so ago. I'm back now and I want to play competitvely again.

Here's my question, what kind of strategy do I want follow if I want to level up my Pokemon to 100 quickly after I EV train them.
    Use the Lucky Egg you get from Professor Juniper obviously. When I'm level grinding, I Audino grind on that route south of Undella Town, battle Cynthia, Cheren, and Bianca. However, the bulk of the experience comes from the stadiums in Nimbasa; post-E4, they all have multiple Pokemon over 60, which can yield 3-4 levels a day even into the 80s and 90s.

I also have another question. If I use up all of the points of the effort value and then I go to level up my Pokemon by batteling random Pokemon, does it affect the distribution of the effort values on my Pokemon?
    Black IGN:4083 5029 5772

I also have another question. If I use up all of the points of the effort value and then I go to level up my Pokemon by batteling random Pokemon, does it affect the distribution of the effort values on my Pokemon?
    Once you add any amount of EVs to any stat, there is nothing that can take away or otherwise nullify those EVs except for the EV reducing berries. Battling random stuff after you've maxed your EVs is completely safe.

Hello everyone!

Pokemon w2/b2 have the dojo in join avenue if you lv that up you can get your pokemon up to lv 100 very quickly also the deli is another store in join avenue that well lv you pokemon up. a few runs though the elite 4 or the nimbasa city sports areas well get you some additional lv ups and the cash need for the join avenue stores. If playing on b1/w1 then battle cheren the sports domes audino and the elite four for fast lv ups.
        Spoiler:- Pokemon that I can breed and trade.:

Want
    DW females not listed
    0 speed IVs

Pm or VM me for a Trade.

Character BRANDON FC 3869 2640 3022

Which Pokemon have Hidden Abilities that make them superior than their non-hidden ability counterparts? (i.e. Drizzle Politoed)

Cipher sent us to hell - but we're going even deeper - take back every Pokemon that we've lost!
    Wakin, I'm already a demon...
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    Which Pokemon have Hidden Abilities that make them superior than their non-hidden ability counterparts? (i.e. Drizzle Politoed)
    That's... a pretty long list. I'm not sure I could name them all off the top of my head.

Politoed, Ninetales, Blaziken, Sharpedo, Alakazam, Espeon, Xatu, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Cinccino, Gothitelle, Chandelure, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Dragonite, Mamoswine, Ditto, Gliscor, Tentacruel, Venusaur, and probably many others who I can't remember should always use their Dream World ability if it's available to them.

Heracross, Salamence, Breloom, Gyarados and probably several others I'm forgetting have DW abilities that can be better, but their default abilities are still very viable.

Hi everyone

I've recently got into EV training pokemon, and have my head around mostly every aspect, apart from natures..... my question is simple: how do natures affect ev's.

is it a 10% boost / drop added to the stat or ev's when the pokemon is in battle?

is it a 10% boost / drop to growth speed when training

or is it a 10 % boost / drop to how you can spread e.v's

I look forward to your help! I know it may seem obvious but if you look around the internets it mostly says an increase and that about its, which is a bit vague to say the least.

My Safari is GROUND with PHANPY & NINCADA
    Friend Code: 1246-9924-8434

MY GEN 5 DREAMWORLD FEMALES: N/A until My PokeBank is complete!, I still have half left to go, sorry

I also have Pokerus that I can spread, just ask.
    PLEASE RESPECT THE FACT THAT I ONLY ACCEPT LEGITIMATE POKEMON.
    I WILL NOT ACCEPT EXTERNALLY MODIFIED, RNG'D, GLITCHED, CLONED OR ANY KIND OF CHEATED POKEMON, THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainerBen View Post
    Hi everyone

I've recently got into EV training pokemon, and have my head around mostly every aspect, apart from natures..... my question is simple: how do natures affect ev's.

is it a 10% boost / drop added to the stat or ev's when the pokemon is in battle?

is it a 10% boost / drop to growth speed when training

or is it a 10 % boost / drop to how you can spread e.v's

I look forward to your help! I know it may seem obvious but if you look around the internets it mostly says an increase and that about its, which is a bit vague to say the least.

It's 10% max or min for the stat. It does not affect EVs at all; 252 EVs is still going to give 63 stat points regardless of if it's a positive nature, a neutral nature, or a negative nature.

Thanks I really do appreaciate it, KillerDraco! I guess it's a bit like an held item boost then, except the increase is always there, out of your control, and solely increases / decreases stats.
    My Safari is GROUND with PHANPY & NINCADA
    Friend Code: 1246-9924-8434

MY GEN 5 DREAMWORLD FEMALES: N/A until My PokeBank is complete!, I still have half left to go, sorry

I also have Pokerus that I can spread, just ask.
    PLEASE RESPECT THE FACT THAT I ONLY ACCEPT LEGITIMATE POKEMON.
    I WILL NOT ACCEPT EXTERNALLY MODIFIED, RNG'D, GLITCHED, CLONED OR ANY KIND OF CHEATED POKEMON, THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    It's a very debate-able topic. Of course, some abilities are just straight out better than others (eg. Mamoswine's Thick Fat > Oblivious, Pikachu's Lightningrod > Static) while some have just really bad DW Abilities that they're almost the same (Delibird's Vital Spirit & Insomnia, Unfezant's Big Pecks & Rivalry) etc etc, or they're debate-able. For example, Gyarados that are more defensively inclined may tend to run Intimidate over Moxie. However, some prefer Moxie as it allows them to sweep after Dragon Dance. Scraggy in LC falls under the same band. Moxie vs Shed Skin. Moxie helps to kill stuff in its path, but Shed Skin is also useful, since a burn can damage your sweep.

Lugia also suffers from the Pressure vs Multiscale thing. Pressure helps stall out Arceus's Extremespeeds, while Multiscale allows Lugia to take really powerful hits (boosted Arceus) and phase it out. Yeah, it's all depending on the situation and how it fits the team.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Not sure if this has been asked before but would a Hidden Power with power 60 get the boost from Technician, thereby giving it 90 power?
    Just wondering if there was any viable way to work an HP 60 and what IV's you'd need.
    2013 Global Showdown - 418 (1705pts)
    2013 I C June - 261 (1705pts - 18th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2013 UK VGC Birmingham - 127 (10 Championship Points)
    2013 Spring Friendly May - 360 (1655pts)
    2013 I C April - 1195 (1585pts - 86th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 I C March - 1122 (1613pts - 69th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 Winter Friendly - 567 (1602pts)
    2013 I C January - DQ'd (1704pts) - Damn RQer's
    2012 VGCS Winter Battle - 240 (1626pts - 39th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2012 Autumn Friendly - DNF (1510pts) - Only managed 6 matches
    2012 I C (Black) - 1879 (1594pts)
    2012 I C (White) - 3334 (1529pts)
    2011 Autumn Friendly - 2760 (1510pts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked before but would a Hidden Power with power 60 get the boost from Technician, thereby giving it 90 power?
    Just wondering if there was any viable way to work an HP 60 and what IV's you'd need.
    It's possible but generally not worth it.

Most viable user of Technician has high attack and low special attack. You wouldn't use Hidden Power on things like Scizor, Hitmontop, Ambipom, Breloom, or Cinccino simply because they lack the special attack to effectively utilize it.

Dream World Roserade might be able to, but its other attacks (Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, etc.) don't get a Technician Boost, and it misses out on Natural Cure to prevent it from being crippled by status effects. Mr. Mime's in the same boat; its best moves don't get boosted by Technician, and thus its generally outclassed by Nasty Plot sets. That, and Mr. Mime itself is generally outclassed so you wouldn't use it in the first place.

Technician Hidden Power is nothing short of a gimmick.

Hi everyone! I am going to use a trick room sweeper (kingler) on my team, and so I have already given it 252 attack EVs. Kingler's defense stat is very good (115) while it's special defense stat is miserable (50). Since I don't need speed and have extra EV's for defenses, should I try to balance the two defense stats, focus on defense, or focus on special defense? Also I will be also using focus sash/flail as back-up so should a raised special defense stat affect this strategy?
    Hi! :3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bento View Post
    Hi everyone! I am going to use a trick room sweeper (kingler) on my team, and so I have already given it 252 attack EVs. Kingler's defense stat is very good (115) while it's special defense stat is miserable (50). Since I don't need speed and have extra EV's for defenses, should I try to balance the two defense stats, focus on defense, or focus on special defense? Also I will be also using focus sash/flail as back-up so should a raised special defense stat affect this strategy?
    If you want to use focus sash I would say DON'T boost it's defenses. Flail will do maximum damage at 1 hp so if anything you should drop them. Ignoring the Flail situation, you could always just dump them into hp, 50 sp def isn't going to be good anytime soon

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

I am about to compete in this month's International Challenge for April for double battles and I am not sure what I am going to do with Lucario. What I mean is that he has a adamant nature and has two physical and two special attacks, which the special attacks are Aura Sphere and Focus Blast. I know I need to drop them but I have no idea what moves I should have him learn instead.
    Pokemon White FC: 2537-9783-8656 - Axel
    Pokemon White 2 FC: 1163-9089-5196 - Axel

Quote Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post
    I am about to compete in this month's International Challenge for April for double battles and I am not sure what I am going to do with Lucario. What I mean is that he has a adamant nature and has two physical and two special attacks, which the special attacks are Aura Sphere and Focus Blast. I know I need to drop them but I have no idea what moves I should have him learn instead.
    Swords Dance, Close Combat, Extreme Speed, Ice Punch with Life Orb is your standard physical Lucario. And it's pretty self explanatory as well.

Interesting, thanks for the input!
    Pokemon White FC: 2537-9783-8656 - Axel
    Pokemon White 2 FC: 1163-9089-5196 - Axel

Page 238 of 246 FirstFirst ... 138188228234235236237238239240241242 ... LastLast