Page 13 of 247 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

I'm currently using Tentacruel as a lead for my Toxic Spikes team. So far it's moveset is Toxic Spikes/ Surf/ Venoshock-Sludge Bomb/ Magic Coat

now the thing is that Venoshock only really works when the opponent switches in, so Sludge Bomb is more viable. But do I go with Venoshock, which has more power, of Sludge Bomb, which is stabler?

And can someone also help me with the EVs? It's Timid and holds Black Sludge/ Focus Sash
    Have a nice day

Black FC: 3911-6974-2268
    -STUNFISK LAUGHS AT YOU!-

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Could anyone explain all of the different ways to battle? I know the question is vague, but I need some kind of explanation.

From what I understand, I can use Pokemon Online (which I think is completely separate from the actual DS game). There's also wifi battles, right? Until the Global Link is available, do wifi battles only consist of 3v3?

Is it also true that tier-breakdown is not universal? Tiers here at Serebii are different from Smogon and PO, right?

I'm completely confused as to what the breakdown is for competitive and semi-competitive battling. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Mulay View Post
    Would it be illegal to have Sandstorm and the ability 'Sand Force' (Increases the Power of Ground, Rock, and Steel-type moves by 33% in a Sandstorm) on the same team?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by poke-lord View Post
    What is a good moveset and itemfor this Scrafty?

Scrafty@?
    Adamant
    252Attk/176HP/80Def
    Uhhh, I would definitely put your defensive EVs into Speed as this seems to be a Dragon Dance Scrafty. Jolly too since Scrafty has really shitty Speed with Adamant.

Otherwise, for your question...

Life Orb
    - Dragon Dance
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Crunch
    - Ice Punch

Dragon Dance enables Scafty to boost his Attack and Speed to a good amount while the rest of the moveset do their work. Hi Jump Kick absolutely slaughters any Pokemon not resistant to it, which Crunch destroys Ghosts and Psychics that try to get in the way. Watch out when using Hi Jump Kick, though; make sure that you can kill Ghost-types beforehand or you'll risk 50% of Scrafty's health. Ice Punch helps greatly against bulky Flying-types that will be a nuisance otherwise (Gliscor mainly).

Quote Originally Posted by Br0k3nWh4mmy View Post
    Did they really do away with Lv. 100 Standard mode? or do i just have to do something to see it?
    Uhh, I'm not sure entirely, but I think so! It's like level 50 throughout UNLESS you have leveled your Pokemon manually to 100, then you can play the "free battle" mode (forgot what it's called).

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Osiris View Post
    Are the Rotom Formes considered different Pokemon in 5th Gen under standard clauses due to them having different types in each Forme?
    Yep, they're different Pokemon, but it's kinda redundant to use them together in a single team.

Quote Originally Posted by darkrai's_shadow View Post
    What ev spread should i use on my ferrothorn and jellicent? they will be a physical wall and special wall, respectively, i just want to know a good spread for them
    I'd personally swap their roles around, but...

Honestly, I would just go max HP/max Def for Ferrothorn and max HP/max SpD for Jellicent to take on as much as possible. However, the standard Ferrothorn uses 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpDef (Impish/Relaxed), which is good too so you can get the benefit of both sides! The alternative for Jellicent would be to use 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe with that Calm nature for better overall defenses. The Speed allows Jellicent to outpace no Speed Scizor so that it can get a burn off.

Quote Originally Posted by D-World View Post
    I'm currently using Tentacruel as a lead for my Toxic Spikes team. So far it's moveset is Toxic Spikes/ Surf/ Venoshock-Sludge Bomb/ Magic Coat

now the thing is that Venoshock only really works when the opponent switches in, so Sludge Bomb is more viable. But do I go with Venoshock, which has more power, of Sludge Bomb, which is stabler?

And can someone also help me with the EVs? It's Timid and holds Black Sludge/ Focus Sash
    I should really leave Bluey to answer this...

Perhaps you can try Sludge Wave if you want a Poison-type attack. Venoshock looks good, but I wouldn't use it because it really depends on your opponent being poisoned, which is definitely not reliable. So, Sludge Wave vs Sludge Bomb. Sludge Wave has slightly more power, but less random poison chance and PP. Sludge Bomb has slightly less power, but more random poison chance and PP. You can decide for that.

Oh, EVs, I would just go Timid 252 SpA/252 Spe/6 SpD and Life Orb since it's offensive.
    edit: wait, you look like you're using support. Okay, use Leftovers!

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Could anyone explain all of the different ways to battle? I know the question is vague, but I need some kind of explanation.

From what I understand, I can use Pokemon Online (which I think is completely separate from the actual DS game). There's also wifi battles, right? Until the Global Link is available, do wifi battles only consist of 3v3?

Is it also true that tier-breakdown is not universal? Tiers here at Serebii are different from Smogon and PO, right?

I'm completely confused as to what the breakdown is for competitive and semi-competitive battling. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Yeah, Pokemon Online is the main simulator for Pokemon battles. Definitely use it if you don't want to go on Wi-Fi! There's 2 main servers (at least to me) - Pokemon Online's Main Server and Smogon's. Those two should be quite enjoyable.

Wi-Fi battles, yes, if you can connect your DS to Wi-Fi, you can battle with anyone else in the world who has the game! And it's not limited, really, you can pick any mode! Singles, doubles, triples, rotation, VGC, just modify your team to it and you're set.

Tier-breakdown... yeah, I guess you can say it's not really universal yet. Still, it's good to follow what Smogon's doing. Serebii's tier list is only temporary, and PO is doing what suits them best. Smogon has been testing rigorously, however, and will probably have the best tier-breakdown soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AromaFlora View Post
    Yeah, Pokemon Online is the main simulator for Pokemon battles. Definitely use it if you don't want to go on Wi-Fi! There's 2 main servers (at least to me) - Pokemon Online's Main Server and Smogon's. Those two should be quite enjoyable.

Wi-Fi battles, yes, if you can connect your DS to Wi-Fi, you can battle with anyone else in the world who has the game! And it's not limited, really, you can pick any mode! Singles, doubles, triples, rotation, VGC, just modify your team to it and you're set.

Tier-breakdown... yeah, I guess you can say it's not really universal yet. Still, it's good to follow what Smogon's doing. Serebii's tier list is only temporary, and PO is doing what suits them best. Smogon has been testing rigorously, however, and will probably have the best tier-breakdown soon enough.
    So it's safe to break competitive battling down to Pokemon Online and Wi-Fi?

Pokemon Online is made up of Pokemon you create on the spot, while Wi-Fi is made up of Pokemon you train in-game? I'm trying to make sure I understand everything before I continue.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    So it's safe to break competitive battling down to Pokemon Online and Wi-Fi?

Pokemon Online is made up of Pokemon you create on the spot, while Wi-Fi is made up of Pokemon you train in-game? I'm trying to make sure I understand everything before I continue.

Thanks again.
    Yeah, it's pretty much safe to break battling down to PO and Wi-Fi.

And, yep, correct.

Is endeavor effected by prankster?
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

@Zach, good question, but no since it's actually a physical attack.

Prankster only affects non-attacking move, so Endeavor is not affected.
    I'm tired of signatures...

Can someone suggest a good ev spread for my Jellicent? I want a special Wall

OK Iknow all about EVs but only a little about IVs. What is the best way to IV breed a Gible with high Speed and high Attack IVs??? I know about the power items but how do I get parents with those IVs??? Just go out and catch a ton of wild pokemon and find which ones have good IVs or breed parents???

My OU Party
    Pokemon Trainer threw a Haxball
    I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF A 3DS
    Ioliolk-user bar Zekerom-pokeball Gladeshadow-team pose TheDarkDragons-fusion Pokegirlforever- Walking pokemon
    Big thanks to all of you

I would still like to know if someone has good suggestion for what nature I should make my virizion? I haven't caught it yet but I have all my synchronize natures ready. I ended up keeping that Terrakion I felt like perfect speed won't matter most of the time since I'll be rock polishing first turn most of the time anyway.

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a moveset for Hydreigon please?
    MY FC IS 1349 - 5917 - 3006

Quote Originally Posted by poke-lord View Post
    Can someone suggest a good ev spread for my Jellicent? I want a special Wall
    Haha, I think I've answered this already.

You can either go purely special wall with 252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 SpA or use a modified spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe. Both spreads can go with a Calm nature. 44 Speed EVs outspeed Scizor so that Jellicent can get a burn off, 216 Speed EVs give Jellicent more bulk on the physical side so that Jellicent can tank a bit on both sides (though not too reliably), and the rest are dump into HP for better overall bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Haxorusfan View Post
    OK Iknow all about EVs but only a little about IVs. What is the best way to IV breed a Gible with high Speed and high Attack IVs??? I know about the power items but how do I get parents with those IVs??? Just go out and catch a ton of wild pokemon and find which ones have good IVs or breed parents???
    Trade for a flawless Ditto. I think you're at the wrong subforums though as this looks like a question for Wi-Fi. I can give you one though, just leave a VM on my wall!

Quote Originally Posted by Clubinhand View Post
    I would still like to know if someone has good suggestion for what nature I should make my virizion? I haven't caught it yet but I have all my synchronize natures ready. I ended up keeping that Terrakion I felt like perfect speed won't matter most of the time since I'll be rock polishing first turn most of the time anyway.
    There are a good amount of sets Virizion can run, which makes it a neat Pokemon to have! It really depends on whether or not you want to go special or physical. Go with Jolly for a Swords Dance set or with Timid for a Calm Mind set. Both are pretty good, but I'd personally go with the Swords Dance (Jolly) set since Close Combat is a more reliable STAB than Focus Blast, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy West View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a moveset for Hydreigon please?
    Hydreigon... hmm. Of course, you can just go with a Life Orb "wallbreaker" set. Here it is:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
    Levitate
    Modest / Timid
    6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Taunt
    - Dragon Pulse / U-turn / Surf / Dark Pulse works for more reliably tearing apart Jellicent/Ferrothorn cores

This set purely aims at destroying stall teams, but of course it can decimate other teams too given that it has paralysis support (Ferrothorn or something can provide it). Draco Meteor... well, it destroys stuff! The only bad thing is that it lowers SpA, so that's why Dragon Pulse is a good alternative to use... though sometimes it may not be needed (in which why you can try out U-turn for scouting, Surf for Heatran or neutral coverage, Dark Pulse for Jellicent, etc). Fire Blast is needed to cover Steel-types not named Heatran as otherwise they wall Hydreigon (FERROTHORN!). Taunt is pretty nifty; this is actually replaceable if you want to try a 4 attacking set, but it's cool to stop Blissey/Chansey from being annoying (though it does more than that).

Quote Originally Posted by AromaFlora View Post
    Haha, I think I've answered this already.

You can either go purely special wall with 252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 SpA or use a modified spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe. Both spreads can go with a Calm nature. 44 Speed EVs outspeed Scizor so that Jellicent can get a burn off, 216 Speed EVs give Jellicent more bulk on the physical side so that Jellicent can tank a bit on both sides (though not too reliably), and the rest are dump into HP for better overall bulk.

What about a moveset for the 2nd one?

Jellicent@Lefties
    Cursed Body
    Calm
    248HP/216Def/44spe
    Will-o-wisp
    Surf
    ?
    ?

Oh, my bad. I forgot about the moves. I thought it was just EV spread for some reason.

Use this:

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Water Absorb is more preferable, but give Cursed Body a shot as 30% Disable isn't actually bad!
    Calm yeah
    EVS okay
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Surf
    - Shadow Ball
    - Recover

Or, I would prefer this:

- Scald
    - Toxic
    - Shadow Ball / Taunt
    - Recover

Toxic REALLY beats a lot of Pokemon that Jellicent would never beat, mainly stall Pokemon and bulky Volcarona. Scald's burn rate may be less than desirable, but at least it can burn. Shadow Ball is just for secondary STAB when Scald/Surf isn't preferable, while Recover rejuvenates Jellicent back to good health.

Another way to use Jellicent is to use Taunt (over Shadow Ball). This fully allows Jellicent to beat slower stall members such as Blissey/Chansey without a struggle! Taunt+Toxic just murders them.

What would be a good nature and moveset for a scrafty?

Also what EV's should it get since according to the site he is bulky in both defenses should i keep up the defense or put some in hp or the attack stats? Also will holding an exp share give the pokémon any EV's even when it doesn't enter the battle? Also does 252 EV's mean is only actually gains 63 in total on the stat value since 252 divided by 4 is 63?

Scrafty can built in two ways: Dragon Dancer and Bulk Upper. Dragon Dance is more reliable in sweeping, but Bulk Up can be pretty annoying to faint!

Scrafty @ Life Orb
    Moxie
    Jolly
    252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
    - Dragon Dance
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Crunch
    - Ice Punch

This is basically his best shot at sweeping. Dragon Dance to boost his pitiful Speed to a usable amount, as well as his Attack to a mightier amount. Hi Jump Kick makes up even more for that base 90 Attack stat and hurts almost anything not called Ghost-type. That's what Crunch is for, really, and it also ruins Psychic-types. Ice Punch is mostly for Flying-types that take little damage from both Hi Jump Kick and Crunch (hint hint Gliscor).

The other way.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
    Shed Skin / Moxie
    Careful
    252 HP / 42 Atk / 216 SpD
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Crunch
    - Rest / Ice Punch

This is a bulkier version of Scrafty that aims to set up as much Bulk Ups as possible and drain the life out of the foe with Drain Punch. Crunch is for coverage on Ghost- and Psychic-types while the last slot is mostly up to you. Rest enables Scrafty to fully rejuvenate its health, and it's good if the foe cannot 3-4HKO it. Ice Punch is the same old deal - destroying Flying-types. I guess you can add in Grass-types that resist Hi Jump Kick to that list, but Hi Jump Kick will do more damage to neutral targets even if Ice Punch hits super effectively (unless it's a 4x target).

Holding an Exp Share does give the holder EVs, yep. And yes, a Pokemon with 252 EVs means it gains 63 points in that stat.

I hope this isn't too much to ask for ... it probably is, but it's worth a shot:

Can someone help me make a stall team with a Whimsicott lead? I'm completely new to competitive Pokemon and its hard to take in all this info at once. I know that making a full team can be time consuming so just some pointers would be nice.

Yeah, I think that's too much to ask for.

I can give you "general" advice though. Whimsicott will only annoy Pokemon to death or be useless (against enemy Grass-types). What you need are Pokemon to take care of its weaknesses and make it do its job better. Let's see, Fire, Flying, Bug, and Ice. What Pokemon can resist most of types? Heatran seems like one of your best bets, and it can spread burn and set up Stealth Rock for you. Heatran can't take them all on though, so you can try a Water-type like Jellicent a shot, which can also spread burn, Toxic stall with Taunt, and heal up with Recover. With those 3, you actually get a solid Fire-Water-Grass core, though IDK how reliable those are nowadays.

Now, you want a Spiker and a spinblocker. Too bad you're using Whimsicott, as I'd mention Ferrothorn immediately. Skarmory or Forretress are your next best shots, as they're bulky Steels. Personally, I'd go with Skarmory due to Roost, but Forretress can also lay down Toxic Spikes and Spikes AND Rapid Spin at the same time, saving you a slot. Still, if you have Jellicent, there's your spinblocker right there.

I'm tossing this random mon up, but I just feel it's too good to not mention. Give Poison Heal Gliscor a shot. Immune to status once Toxic Orb kicks in, really bulky physically, TauntToxic to even further stall, and if you want to, I guess you can try Swords Dance (even in stall). No Roost is a bummer, but Protect is a perfectly viable substitute.

Good luck on the team!

Quote Originally Posted by Haxorusfan View Post
    By luck. A pokemon with "Alert to sounds" will usually have a good speed IV, and one with "Likes to thrash about"(IIRC) will usually have good attack. Bring the pokemon to the "Judge" in the gear station, and he will tell you it's best IV. If it "Can't be better in that regard", then it's a perfect IV.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

what is the best counter to ice beam in 5th gen uber?

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    what is the best counter to ice beam in 5th gen uber?
    ... Why? Pokemon that use Ice Beam are bound to have other moves that can eliminate Ice Beam resistant/specially bulky Pokemon. But here: Chansey/Blissey, Kyogre, and Manaphy. Lesser, but still good, ones include Palkia, Ho-Oh, and Reshiram.

are ivs inportent like evs like as in do thay make a lot of different
    R.I.P Dusk i miss you

Here's a question that just hit me a little bit ago: wouldn't it be better if Salamence had a Hasty nature instead of Naive? Naive is highly suggested for Salamence. However, wouldn't Hasty's decrease in defense be more acceptable than the decrease in special defense because Salamence's intimidate decreases an enemy's attack? Because of intimidate, the decrease in defense from Hasty isn't as bad.

Seems to me Hasty would be better than Naive. So, why is it Serebii and Smogon suggest Naive instead of Hasty? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by tombux View Post
    are ivs inportent like evs like as in do thay make a lot of different
    Fix your grammar. Otherwise, yes, IVs are very important. They can determine what your Pokemon's Hidden Power is, if it can Speed tie or outspeed a speed tier, if they have enough HP to make 101 HP Substitutes, and if it has enough defenses or offenses to survive an attack or absorb an attack. It's important to make sure that your IVs are as close to perfection as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by HoCkEyDuDe View Post
    Here's a question that just hit me a little bit ago: wouldn't it be better if Salamence had a Hasty nature instead of Naive? Naive is highly suggested for Salamence. However, wouldn't Hasty's decrease in defense be more acceptable than the decrease in special defense because Salamence's intimidate decreases an enemy's attack? Because of intimidate, the decrease in defense from Hasty isn't as bad.

Seems to me Hasty would be better than Naive. So, why is it Serebii and Smogon suggest Naive instead of Hasty? Am I missing something?
    You actually have a very good point about Hasty. Salamence is seen switching into various amounts of Flamethrowers and Fire Blasts, and being 2HKOed by them (at some scenarios) is pretty bad. The reason for Naive? It's because Salamence probably wants to take physical hits better. Now why is that? Take a look at the common OU physical attackers - Scizor, Blaziken (to an extent), and Conkeldurr. You definitely want Salamence surviving their physical attacks as much as possible as they're much more dangerous than a Heatran can be (in which you can throw a bulky Water-type on your team and call it a day).

Still, it depends on your team. If you have Heatran / special Fire-type attacker problems, Hasty's probably a cool nature to use. Additionally, Smogon's recommendation for Naive is probably outdated. Even the Salamence 5th analysis hasn't even been written yet (lazy guy!).

Page 13 of 247 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast