Page 171 of 247 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181221 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,275 of 6151

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    I, as do most serious breeders, have a flawless Ditto acquired from any number of charitable RNGers you can find around. I pass three flawless IVs from the Ditto, acting as the mother, and nature, species and egg moves from the father. The Ditto gets a power item and the other Pokemon gets an Everstone. Within anywhere from 1 to ~300 eggs I have something almost completely perfect. I've bred and trained probably upwards of ten Pokemon this way since last summer. It's a pretty easy system once you get your initial resources and get the hang of it.

Btw, I know theoretically how RNGing works and I approve of it, but I've never actually RNGed before. Hasn't hurt me in the least.
    Hmmm, that actually sounds like a pretty good system. That being the case, I might just figure out how to RNG myself a ditto like such, and go from there. Thanks for the advice :3
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." -Karen

Spoiler:- CG Stuff:

Different question, but how often is the Smog released?

I am new to competitive pokemon and I would like to know what item can substitute a life orb on my timid nature gengar.
    Member of

My FC:4857 0067 2846

Quote Originally Posted by entrawarrior View Post
    I am new to competitive pokemon and I would like to know what item can substitute a life orb on my timid nature gengar.
    Depends on what the set is. Three items that immediately come to mind as possibilities however would be Black Sludge, Choice Specs or Choice Scarf.

Would wise glasses work on it?
    Member of

My FC:4857 0067 2846

Its a minimal boost but It could work however life orb, black sludge or the choice items are superior
    My Friend Safari:
    3DS FC: 1564-3608-3734
    Please PM/VM me so I can add you I'm looking for lots of Friend Safaris

I usually use life orb with pain split so he slowly lowers his health then he can heal and do damage to the opponent. If you want him to stay around longer and be less risky, use black sludge.

New Bible Verse of the Week: Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.

Hi, I don't play much competitive so I was wondering what if any is a good setup for using Sandslash. Thanks for the help.
    Black 2 friend code: 2065-7310-3529
    Black friend code: 0390-2794-7640
    3DS friend code: 0774-4855-2711

Life Orb is a 130% boost. Choice Specs is a 150% boost. Wise Glasses are a 110% boost. You tell me.

Correct answer: No

Quote Originally Posted by Entreri10 View Post
    Hi, I don't play much competitive so I was wondering what if any is a good setup for using Sandslash. Thanks for the help.
    Sandslash

Life Orb is a 130% boost. Choice Specs is a 150% boost. Wise Glasses are a 110% boost. You tell me.
    Actually Chaos it's a 30% boost for life orb, 50% for choice specs and 10% for wise lens, if it was a 150% increase you would need to be at +2 holding the choice specs
    My Friend Safari:

Quote Originally Posted by floatzel98 View Post
    Different question, but how often is the Smog released?
    Usually every month or so, depending on how quickly the Smog articles are written.

Usually the best item besides Life Orb on Gengar is Leftovers, because of its usefulness on sets like SubDisable. Also, I wouldn't recommend Wise Glasses because of the tiny boost they offer. If you don't want to go Choiced, Expert Belt would probably be better for offering a damage increase and bluffing a Choice item.

Quote Originally Posted by pkmnswampmaster View Post
    Actually Chaos it's a 30% boost for life orb, 50% for choice specs and 10% for wise lens, if it was a 150% increase you would need to be at +2 holding the choice specs
    Aw, come on, you know what he meant.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Usually every month or so, depending on how quickly the Smog articles are written.
    Oh, so there's no set date for when they come out?

Oh, so there's no set date for when they come out?
    Nope. I believe they'll usually wait until they have an ample amount of material for the issue before they release it, unless the wait is really long, such as a few issues back when there was hardly anything in it.

Usually the best item besides Life Orb on Gengar is Leftovers, because of its usefulness on sets like SubDisable. Also, I wouldn't recommend Wise Glasses because of the tiny boost they offer. If you don't want to go Choiced, Expert Belt would probably be better for offering a damage increase and bluffing a Choice item.

Aw, come on, you know what he meant.
    Why do people always consider leftovers over Black Sludge on poison types? you can have the chance of hinder a trick user and it heals the same amount of HP, why on earth would you pick leftovers instead? Black sludge is the same for poison but with the added damage to anyone who steals it from you,

and about the damage percentage, I enjoy looking smart , but to be fair if he had sayed something like "With choice specs it deals 150% damage" it would be valid
    My Friend Safari:

Nope. I believe they'll usually wait until they have an ample amount of material for the issue before they release it, unless the wait is really long, such as a few issues back when there was hardly anything in it.
    Ah, okay thanks!

Why do people always consider leftovers over Black Sludge on poison types? you can have the chance of hinder a trick user and it heals the same amount of HP, why on earth would you pick leftovers instead? Black sludge is the same for poison but with the added damage to anyone who steals it from you,
    Keep in mind that the Trick user can just turn around and Trick the Black Sludge onto something else on your team, hindering you. It's not a scenario that happens too often, but its the reason that if given the choice between Leftovers and Black Sludge, I'd take Leftovers. The last thing I want to happen is for the opponent to steal the Leftovers off my Blissey/Jellicent/whatever and give me an item that drains my health every turn. You could still use it in case of an Item Clause and Leftovers is already taken, but I'd only use it if I needed to.

Ah, okay thanks!
    Glad to help! ^_^

I am a decently exxperienced 4th gen battler but im looking for a solid check to volt turn. Im thinking right now that some form of Spdefence heatran would do it well. Let me know what u think is best to use please ^_^

Spoiler:- Credits:
    [Img]http://i52.*******.com/1znacxw.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by 123fakestreet View Post
    I am a decently exxperienced 4th gen battler but im looking for a solid check to volt turn. Im thinking right now that some form of Spdefence heatran would do it well. Let me know what u think is best to use please ^_^
    Annoyed by the opponent hiting you? it escapes you and switched into something better? Scarf Rotom is laughing at you by running away? then *insert ground type or volt absorb/lightningrod/motor drive pokemon* will stop it and put it in a tought situation
    My Friend Safari:

Annoyed by the opponent hiting you? it escapes you and switched into something better? Scarf Rotom is laughing at you by running away? then *insert ground type or volt absorb/lightningrod/motor drive pokemon* will stop it and put it in a tought situation
    I don't think you quite understood. Im after something that reliable takes on both ends of volt turn not just the rotom end.

Spoiler:- Credits:
    [Img]http://i52.*******.com/1znacxw.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by 123fakestreet View Post
    Bulk Up Breloom and Virizion usually do a pretty good job of handling Volt-Turn teams, especially if they can find an opportunity to come in on Rotom-W. I personally wouldn't recommend using a form of Heatran. While it can stop many Volt-Turn Pokemon cold, it's weak against some common members, such as Rotom-W, Infernape, and Mienshao.

I don't think you understand how multiplying by a percentage works. 30% of something is less than the whole. Scaling by 30% would represent a decrease because the scalar that implies is 0.3. A "30% boost" as you put it is mathematically represented by 130%, because the scalar that implies is 1.3.

Life Orb represents a 1.3x boost, Choice Specs a 1.5x boost, and Wise Glasses a 1.1x boost, but as percentages those are 130%, 150% and 110% respectively. What you described would represent a decrease.

and about the damage percentage, I enjoy looking smart , but to be fair if he had sayed something like "With choice specs it deals 150% damage" it would be valid
    A hypothetical item that scaled your attacking stats by 30% would hinder you.

When we say boost are refering to an increase, in percentage a 30% increase (boost) is equal to say that is was increased 1.3 times the only way a percentage value would produce a decrease is if it is a negative percentage, so when again you sayed 150% it means a 2.5 times increase.

On another subject, what rellyable counters to subpunch breloom I can use? Besides Gliscor and assuming the 4th move is Seed Bomb
    My Friend Safari:

When we say boost are refering to an increase, in percentage a 30% increase (boost) is equal to say that is was increased 1.3 times the only way a percentage value would produce a decrease is if it is a negative percentage, so when again you sayed 150% it means a 2.5 times increase.
    That's just... utterly incorrect. There's no such thing as a "30% boost," because scaling by 0.3 is a decrease. Put it in a calculator and see if you don't believe me. Multiply 100 by 1.5 (remember, shift the decimal two places right and that's your percentage, so 150% like I said) and then you tell me if you get 250. You won't; you'll get 150. This is basic math; I don't even know how I can explain this any clearer.

And multiplying by a negative percentage would give you a negative number. Multiplying by a percentage 0 < x < 100 will give you a smaller number of same sign. Percentages aren't magic, they work exactly the same as decimals because they're just an alternate representation of decimals.

On another subject, what rellyable counters to subpunch breloom I can use? Besides Gliscor and assuming the 4th move is Seed Bomb
    Celebi.

Xatu crushes Breloom. Immune to Spore and Leech Seed, 4x resists Focus Punch and 2x resists Seed Bomb.

That's just... utterly incorrect. There's no such thing as a "30% boost," because scaling by 0.3 is a decrease. Put it in a calculator and see if you don't believe me. Multiply 100 by 1.5 (remember, shift the decimal two places right and that's your percentage, so 150% like I said) and then you tell me if you get 250. You won't; you'll get 150. This is basic math; I don't even know how I can explain this any clearer.
    Yes, saying "30% boost" makes sense. A 30% boost isn't multiplying by 30%, it's adding 30% of the original stat onto the already existing stat. The formula would be x + (x * .3), not x * .3. You multiply the stat by 130%, but you only increase the stat by 30%. The same goes for the other boosts (20%, 50%, etc.)

Page 171 of 247 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181221 ... LastLast