Page 215 of 246 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217218219225 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,375 of 6150

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDragoniteHD View Post
    How do you determine which tier a Pokemon goes into?
    You can go to this site to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    Hey everyone. I don't really do competitive much but I have in the past and I have plenty of experience (including 5th gen).

Lately I have been thinking a lot about how I can use my favorite Pokemon in OU. Yes, I know that is always a mistake in competitive battling, but I want to anyway. However, my favorite pokemon is.. Castform. Yes, Castform. No competitive use at all.

I have been trying to think of some strategies. Now I know that Castform is not the ideal pokemon to use, and it might lose many matches, but I don't care. I am just looking for an interesting strategy.

I have been thinking of using a team of auto-weather paired with Castform and two others.

1) Castform
    -Energy Ball / Toxic / Thunderbolt
    -Shadow Ball / Protect
    -Weather Ball
    -Hidden Power [Fighting]

The moves for Castform can be switched and changed around, these are just a few I came up with.

2) Ninetales - Drought
    3) Abomasnow - Snow Warning
    4) Politoed - Drizzle

The other two could include a wall/supporter/baton passer/etc.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. I understand that this whole team is a crazy idea, but I just wanted to throw it out there
    The glaring problem that I see with this strategy is that Castform is easily OHKO'd. Once Castform is out, you're left with a menagerie of mis-matched Pokemon that don't work well together. Additionally, every time that you want to use a super-effective attack with Weather Ball, in a double-battle, you're going to have to switch out Castform's partner for something else. Every. Single. Time you want to change Weather Ball's type. In a single-battle, this would be suicide because your Pokemon are just going to be taking hits without returning them. What this team does is rely on Castform, which will fail in almost all situations. Instead, I suggest that you use Castform as some sort of gimmicky support, so your team doesn't fall apart when Castform faints.

I don't know what to tell you about using Castform. His stats are so poor that he'll almost always hit second in OU, and he doesn't have the defensive capabilities to take that first hit. What you may need to do is get a Reflect/Light Screener, such as Latias, and send that Pokemon out first with a weather-inducing Pokemon, such as Ninetales. Have Latias set up Reflect and Light Screen, and then switch it out for Castform. That way Castform has some chance of staying alive. Have the rest of the team function with the one weather that you choose. So if you use Ninetales, have a DW Venusaur or other Pokemon that's good in the sun. I wouldn't do what you're suggesting and rely on constantly changing the weather just to change Weather Ball's typing, because Castform won't survive long enough to do that. Choose one weather and go with it. Changing the weather constantly will just hurt your team.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Sietse23 View Post
    You can go to this site to see it.
    thank you.
    Check out Dragon-Tamer club..had to remove it because sig was too big. (Mod: As was having the water club)

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[
    Need someone to train your pokemon or breed for one ? I will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    The glaring problem that I see with this strategy is that Castform is easily OHKO'd. Once Castform is out, you're left with a menagerie of mis-matched Pokemon that don't work well together. Additionally, every time that you want to use a super-effective attack with Weather Ball, in a double-battle, you're going to have to switch out Castform's partner for something else. Every. Single. Time you want to change Weather Ball's type. In a single-battle, this would be suicide because your Pokemon are just going to be taking hits without returning them. What this team does is rely on Castform, which will fail in almost all situations. Instead, I suggest that you use Castform as some sort of gimmicky support, so your team doesn't fall apart when Castform faints.

I don't know what to tell you about using Castform. His stats are so poor that he'll almost always hit second in OU, and he doesn't have the defensive capabilities to take that first hit. What you may need to do is get a Reflect/Light Screener, such as Latias, and send that Pokemon out first with a weather-inducing Pokemon, such as Ninetales. Have Latias set up Reflect and Light Screen, and then switch it out for Castform. That way Castform has some chance of staying alive. Have the rest of the team function with the one weather that you choose. So if you use Ninetales, have a DW Venusaur or other Pokemon that's good in the sun. I wouldn't do what you're suggesting and rely on constantly changing the weather just to change Weather Ball's typing, because Castform won't survive long enough to do that. Choose one weather and go with it. Changing the weather constantly will just hurt your team.
    Thanks for the advice Yeah, it would be a crazy strategy. I think for now I will just move on and give up on the multi-weather idea.

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

What do you think is a better hidden power on keldeo? I was considering running a LO set with hydro pump/sacred sword/ icy wind and hp ghost/electric. Hp ghost would hit celebi, latis and jellicent harder but I would get pseudo boltbeam with hp electric. If im running hp ghost would it be better to run a cm set with leftovers?

I have a pokemon that has 0-1 for his Special Attack IV. How much of a difference in stats is that compared to if he had 31 in Special Attack. Ironically my pokemon is modest. Do you think Modest nature could help make up for that? The rest of his IV's are solid.
    FC: 3911-7240-4314

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
    I have a pokemon that has 0-1 for his Special Attack IV. How much of a difference in stats is that compared to if he had 31 in Special Attack. Ironically my pokemon is modest. Do you think Modest nature could help make up for that? The rest of his IV's are solid.
    I believe that one IV is equal to one stat point at level 100. So if you have a Pokemon with 0 IVs in Special Attack, its final Special Attack stat at level 100 will be 31 points lower than it would be if you had 31 IVs in Special Attack.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    I believe that one IV is equal to one stat point at level 100. So if you have a Pokemon with 0 IVs in Special Attack, its final Special Attack stat at level 100 will be 31 points lower than it would be if you had 31 IVs in Special Attack.
    Which is why IVs aren't as significant as EVs or nature. If you can get above typically 20 in every important stat, you're usually fine. A flat out zero is a little harsh, so I'd try for something better unless it is like, flawless in every other stat, but aside from Speed, IVs aren't really a huge deal compared to some other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    Which is why IVs aren't as significant as EVs or nature. If you can get above typically 20 in every important stat, you're usually fine. A flat out zero is a little harsh, so I'd try for something better unless it is like, flawless in every other stat, but aside from Speed, IVs aren't really a huge deal compared to some other stuff.
    It's a Shiny Modest Squirtle. That's why I want to make it work despite the 0-1 for Sp.Attack. Ironically it has a 31 for attack. The rest are above 25 so I think it will work just fine. Blastoise is mainly for rapid spin support anyway.
    FC: 3911-7240-4314

Which is the preferred nature on Keldeo, Modest or Timid? I'm guessing Timid because Terrakion typically runs Jolly.

generally, a timid nature is best. for sweepers, speed is always best, unless you need that extra boost to score a ohko, 2hko, etc. generally, speed>power. without timid, i think you always lose to base 100s and above, but id have to check speed tiers

Eviolite Dusclops or Dusknoir? I have mine running a defense set.

Name: Leaflo
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Teams:

Team White in Rotation:

Looking for Vivillionof the world. Legendaries too!
    I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfect ivs, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are and treat them like individuals instead of drones. So I herd u leik teh mudkipz
    I have a group of Mudkips and Shinx looking for a good home. Pm me with offers. May just give them away for a Patrat

Quote Originally Posted by a cat View Post
    I'd definitely use Dusclops, it can take way more hits than dusknoir.
    Pkmn W: 3181 5617 3649
    Pkmn W2: 1464 4040 1673
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/rbijc4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by a cat View Post
    Eviolite Dusclops. It has higher defense.
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...8#post15775448 I'm back guys. Kind of. I won't be really active and sorry for any inconvenience I've caused!
        Spoiler:- B2W2:

Help the eggs!

Serebii War Fiction Story

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    Which is the preferred nature on Keldeo, Modest or Timid? I'm guessing Timid because Terrakion typically runs Jolly.
    Depend on the set and the purpose of it if you have calm mind definetly timid if you are specs timid too scarf should use modest mainly since keldeo have no way to deal more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

What's a good idea to use for setting up a first competetive team?
    Check out Dragon-Tamer club..had to remove it because sig was too big. (Mod: As was having the water club)

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[

Usually a balance team would be a good start for a beginner to competitive battling. It's a balance (hence the name) of offensive power and defensive switching. Technically the traditional format (from my experience. don't quote me on it) is a two-pokemon Defensive core, a offensive core, A revenge killer, and a something, usually utility (stuff that sets hazards, status, etc)
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDragoniteHD View Post
    What's a good idea to use for setting up a first competetive team?
    it all depends. start off with a style you want to do. generally, there are 3 basic styles, with little sub-sections in between.

do you fancy a short, fast-paced battle where its set-up, then hit, hit, hit until your dead, then repeat? a hyper offense team is your best bet.

fancy a long, grueling battle where you torment the hell out of your opponent? try stall.

want something in between? give balanced a hand. most teams use this.

from there, many things you can base a team around. weather, a pokemon's set, or a common core, like Scrotom cores.

some good cores for reference:

Scrotom- scizor + rotom-w

Gyarajolt- Gyarados + Jolteon

Amoongbro(+tran)- Amoongus + Slowbro( + Heatran)

Ferrocent- Jellicent + Ferrothorn

Celetran- Celebi + Heatran

just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by thedarklord2155 View Post
    it all depends. start off with a style you want to do. generally, there are 3 basic styles, with little sub-sections in between.

do you fancy a short, fast-paced battle where its set-up, then hit, hit, hit until your dead, then repeat? a hyper offense team is your best bet.

fancy a long, grueling battle where you torment the hell out of your opponent? try stall.

want something in between? give balanced a hand. most teams use this.

from there, many things you can base a team around. weather, a pokemon's set, or a common core, like Scrotom cores.

some good cores for reference:

Scrotom- scizor + rotom-w

Gyarajolt- Gyarados + Jolteon

Amoongbro(+tran)- Amoongus + Slowbro( + Heatran)

Ferrocent- Jellicent + Ferrothorn

Celetran- Celebi + Heatran

just to name a few.
    I'm going to go with the balanced team...thanks. I'll get into hyper offensive, etc. later. Good Pokemon to use as a stealth rock lead?

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[

there are many out there. ferrothorn/forretress rank up there as number one. mamoswine makes a decent one too, with the added benefit of massive attack. landorus-t is also a good one, being a harder hitting gliscor, with intimidate.it all depends on what benefits the team the most, but never, never ever, use a hazard layer as a base core. a set-up pokemon is generally best. some good ones include:

gyarados
    salamence
    dragonite
    etc etc

basically, something that can 6-0 a team, but needs support to do so.

there are many out there. ferrothorn/forretress rank up there as number one. mamoswine makes a decent one too, with the added benefit of massive attack. landorus-t is also a good one, being a harder hitting gliscor, with intimidate.it all depends on what benefits the team the most, but never, never ever, use a hazard layer as a base core. a set-up pokemon is generally best. some good ones include:

gyarados
    salamence
    dragonite
    etc etc

basically, something that can 6-0 a team, but needs support to do so.
    What's a hazard layer? And a base core?

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[

A hazard layer is a layer that effects the opponent when they send out there pokemon. here is an example if you use toxic spikes the opponent when he comes out becomes poisoned.

Credit to me

Quote Originally Posted by drizzleboy12 View Post
    A hazard layer is a layer that effects the opponent when they send out there pokemon. here is an example if you use toxic spikes the opponent when he comes out becomes poisoned.
    OK...I get that...but what's a layer?

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[

hazard layer - generally a pokemon that....lays hazards. hazards being stealth rock, spikes, and toxic spikes. for all intensive purposes, we're going to mass-label everything that doesnt wall or attack as 'utility pokemon'

a base core- generally the main, central organism of a team. a good team will have many symbiotic relationships between the pokemon, but a base core is your main focal point, the "keystone", so to speak.

hazard layer - generally a pokemon that....lays hazards. hazards being stealth rock, spikes, and toxic spikes. for all intensive purposes, we're going to mass-label everything that doesnt wall or attack as 'utility pokemon'

a base core- generally the main, central organism of a team. a good team will have many symbiotic relationships between the pokemon, but a base core is your main focal point, the "keystone", so to speak.
    So make sure a team has a lot of symbiotic relationships? As in no two Pokemon being weak to one type?

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[

Page 215 of 246 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217218219225 ... LastLast