Page 216 of 247 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226 ... LastLast
Results 5,376 to 5,400 of 6151

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

A base core is a pair of pokemon that work well together either offensively, defensively, or both.
    EG of defensive
    Ferrothorn + Jellicent: One can easily switch between them and cover all of each other's weakness for simplicity's sake. Jellicent has Elec, grass, Dark, and Ghost Weakness. Ferro's Steel/Grass type covers that. Ferro is weak to Fighting and Fire moves. Jellicent resists fire and is immune to fighting

EG of Offensive
    Magnezone + Dragon pokemon: Example of offensive, the DragMag core. The only types that resist Dragon is Steel, and Magnezone removes those steel types so Dragons can wreck everything with insanely strong Dragon-moves. As in some cases, they don't have much defensive synergy between them, such as using Hydreigon or Kingdra with it.

EG of both Offensive and Defensive
    Rotom-W and Scizor: A Volt-Turn core that shows great defense and offense synergy. Rotom resists Scizor's fire weakness and Scizor resists Rotom's Grass weakness. Offensively, The combination of Volt Switch and U-Turn allows for Scizor to damage and switch into the other. For example, the opponent switches Skarmory out, which resists U-Turn. Scizor U-Turns out and goes into Rotom-W, whose Volt Switch automatically threatens Skarm for KO potential, and with the other moves both pokemon carry, they can play mind games with opponents as to what they're going to use next. While it isn't all that simple and straightforward, it's the best way for you to understand how it works.

Hazards are the moves Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. They are very important in competitive battling because a lot of the time, you will be switching Pokemon in and out. Hazards damage pokemon that are switching into the battlefield. These moves are really useful for all playstyles. It makes KOing opponents for Offensive teams much easier. For Defensive teams, their goal is to force the opponents out through defensive strength and let hazards hurt them everytime they switch.

Spikes can be "stacked", or added to increase its damage output. Spikes can be stacked 3 times, the first stack doing 6% for every switch, the second stack doing 12% for every switch, and 25% for every switch. However, it cannot hurt pokemon that are part Flying type or have Levitate or Magic Guard as their abilities.

Stealth Rock can only be stacked once. It does damage to Pokemon based on their weakness to Rock-types. Those who resist Rock 4x e.g. Lucario only get 3% damage. Those who resist Rock 2x e.g. Magnezone only get 6% damage. Those who are neutral to Rock e.g. Blissey get 12% damage. Those who are weak to Rock 2x e.g. Staraptor get 25% damage. Those who are weak to Rock 4x e.g. Moltres get hit with 50% damage, or half of their total HP taken away from their current HP(!). However, this doesn't hurt pokemon with Magic Guard

Toxic Spikes can be stacked twice. It induces a Poison status on opponents. The first stack only normal Poisons the opponent, which means it does 12% to your health every turn. The second stack badly Poisons the opponent, which means that it does 6% the first turn and gradually increases the damage done every turn. However, flying types, steel types, pokemon with levitate, pokemon with immunity, or pokemon with magic guard are not hurt by it. Furthermore, a Poison type can remove Toxic Spikes by switching in.

To get rid of hazards, you need the move Rapid Spin. Rapid Spin removes all hazards upon doing damage, which means Ghost types can stop opponents from removing hazards, which is a tactic called Spin-Blocking.

I hope this helps in some remote fashion

EDIT: Ninja'd.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    A base core is a pair of pokemon that work well together either offensively, defensively, or both.
    EG of defensive
    Ferrothorn + Jellicent: One can easily switch between them and cover all of each other's weakness for simplicity's sake. Jellicent has Elec, grass, Dark, and Ghost Weakness. Ferro's Steel/Grass type covers that. Ferro is weak to Fighting and Fire moves. Jellicent resists fire and is immune to fighting

EG of Offensive
    Magnezone + Dragon pokemon: Example of offensive, the DragMag core. The only types that resist Dragon is Steel, and Magnezone removes those steel types so Dragons can wreck everything with insanely strong Dragon-moves. As in some cases, they don't have much defensive synergy between them, such as using Hydreigon or Kingdra with it.

EG of both Offensive and Defensive
    Rotom-W and Scizor: A Volt-Turn core that shows great defense and offense synergy. Rotom resists Scizor's fire weakness and Scizor resists Rotom's Grass weakness. Offensively, The combination of Volt Switch and U-Turn allows for Scizor to damage and switch into the other. For example, the opponent switches Skarmory out, which resists U-Turn. Scizor U-Turns out and goes into Rotom-W, whose Volt Switch automatically threatens Skarm for KO potential, and with the other moves both pokemon carry, they can play mind games with opponents as to what they're going to use next. While it isn't all that simple and straightforward, it's the best way for you to understand how it works.

Hazards are the moves Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. They are very important in competitive battling because a lot of the time, you will be switching Pokemon in and out. Hazards damage pokemon that are switching into the battlefield. These moves are really useful for all playstyles. It makes KOing opponents for Offensive teams much easier. For Defensive teams, their goal is to force the opponents out through defensive strength and let hazards hurt them everytime they switch.

Spikes can be "stacked", or added to increase its damage output. Spikes can be stacked 3 times, the first stack doing 6% for every switch, the second stack doing 12% for every switch, and 25% for every switch. However, it cannot hurt pokemon that are part Flying type or have Levitate or Magic Guard as their abilities.

Stealth Rock can only be stacked once. It does damage to Pokemon based on their weakness to Rock-types. Those who resist Rock 4x e.g. Lucario only get 3% damage. Those who resist Rock 2x e.g. Magnezone only get 6% damage. Those who are neutral to Rock e.g. Blissey get 12% damage. Those who are weak to Rock 2x e.g. Staraptor get 25% damage. Those who are weak to Rock 4x e.g. Moltres get hit with 50% damage, or half of their total HP taken away from their current HP(!). However, this doesn't hurt pokemon with Magic Guard

Toxic Spikes can be stacked twice. It induces a Poison status on opponents. The first stack only normal Poisons the opponent, which means it does 12% to your health every turn. The second stack badly Poisons the opponent, which means that it does 6% the first turn and gradually increases the damage done every turn. However, flying types, steel types, pokemon with levitate, pokemon with immunity, or pokemon with magic guard are not hurt by it. Furthermore, a Poison type can remove Toxic Spikes by switching in.

To get rid of hazards, you need the move Rapid Spin. Rapid Spin removes all hazards upon doing damage, which means Ghost types can stop opponents from removing hazards, which is a tactic called Spin-Blocking.

I hope this helps in some remote fashion

EDIT: Ninja'd.
    This helped a lot. How do you figure out IV 's and what are they?
    Check out Dragon-Tamer club..had to remove it because sig was too big. (Mod: As was having the water club)

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[
    Need someone to train your pokemon or breed for one ? I will do it.

@insanedragon(first reply)- by 'symbiotic relationship, i meant that they should both benefit the other. in short, offensive + defensive core, as in scrotom.

@eaglehawk: sorry, lol. your description was better than mine though :P

@insanedragon(2nd reply)- ivs can be found by uploading your pokemon to pokecheck. this'll give you the exact ivs, plus legality, sid, etc.

ivs are bred into a poke, each stat has from 0-31 of them, and each iv point will correlate to +1 in the respective stat at lvl 100. a pokemon with 0/0/0/0/0/0, vs one with 31/31/31/31/31/31.

pokemon a has normal stats.

pokemon b has +31 in all stats. therefore, the pokemon with 'flawless' ivs are generally better.

Quote Originally Posted by thedarklord2155 View Post
    @insanedragon(first reply)- by 'symbiotic relationship, i meant that they should both benefit the other. in short, offensive + defensive core, as in scrotom.

@eaglehawk: sorry, lol. your description was better than mine though :P

@insanedragon(2nd reply)- ivs can be found by uploading your pokemon to pokecheck. this'll give you the exact ivs, plus legality, sid, etc.

ivs are bred into a poke, each stat has from 0-31 of them, and each iv point will correlate to +1 in the respective stat at lvl 100. a pokemon with 0/0/0/0/0/0, vs one with 31/31/31/31/31/31.

pokemon a has normal stats.

pokemon b has +31 in all stats. therefore, the pokemon with 'flawless' ivs are generally better.
    Thanks ...I'd like to know what the different leads are.
    Check out Dragon-Tamer club..had to remove it because sig was too big. (Mod: As was having the water club)

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[

well, suicide leads are a type. they are generally frowned upon.

suicide leads include- aerodactyl, deoxys-d, others

then there's set-up leads. they generally just set up to wreck the opponent's team, and a lot of times they set up hazards too. i.e. stealth rock + calm mind jirachi

anti-leads are those that are designed to take out common leads. machamp is a great example.

weather leads are just that. they set up weather.

then there's screeners. they set up screens while providing utility in phazing, hazing, paralysis support, etc. the 2 most common ones are espeon and xatu, because they have the added benefit of bouncing back any non-attacking move, being relatively fast, and able to provide other utility, like thunder wave/u-turn/wish on xatu.

sorry if its not satisfying, lol. im not good with leads. i generally use what i call a "counter-lead", which is basically a team that has no set lead, and each pokemon has the chance to lead, in countering the predicted opponent.

for example, i have: magnezone/ tyranitar/ gliscor/ jirachi/ virizion/ espeon

the opponent has ferrothorn. im going to assume that's his lead, and send out magnezone to trap and kill.

you look at what the trainer has and select the appropriate counter.

Suicide leads are dead. They are useless, even in Hyper Offense, and are a burden to your team.

Actually, leads are completely dead in Gen V. Team Preview killed the lead metagame, so you basically start with something that would give you the biggest advantage in a battle. Offensively, it would be a U-Turner or a quick setup thing.

[In Clan Memoriam]
    Memories are eternal.

Survival isn't eternal

Suicide leads are dead. They are useless, even in Hyper Offense, and are a burden to your team.

Actually, leads are completely dead in Gen V. Team Preview killed the lead metagame, so you basically start with something that would give you the biggest advantage in a battle. Offensively, it would be a U-Turner or a quick setup thing.
    OK....I noticed that ...thanks for clearing up about leads and telling me what suicide leads are. So,suicide leads are bad? OK...what are some competitive terms? Don't say too easy ones.

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[

http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_pokemon_dictionary

This is pretty much a syllabus of every single Pokemon term you'll meet when talking to other competitive battlers. Also, as a beginning competitive battler, Smogon should be your #1 resource for all things competitive. They have strategies on Pokemon sets and other useful stuff for a beginner. Also, Smogon has a page where they have a resources page for beginners:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3465355

Hope this helps.

[In Clan Memoriam]
    Memories are eternal.

Survival isn't eternal

http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_pokemon_dictionary

This is pretty much a syllabus of every single Pokemon term you'll meet when talking to other competitive battlers. Also, as a beginning competitive battler, Smogon should be your #1 resource for all things competitive. They have strategies on Pokemon sets and other useful stuff for a beginner. Also, Smogon has a page where they have a resources page for beginners:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3465355

Hope this helps.
    Thank you! I'll memorize everything!

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask. Can a Cosmic Power Baton Pass Lunatone work well in the UU environment? What kind of move set and EV's would that look like?
    FC: 3911-7240-4314

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDragoniteHD View Post
    OK....I noticed that ...thanks for clearing up about leads and telling me what suicide leads are. So,suicide leads are bad? OK...what are some competitive terms? Don't say too easy ones.
    Suicide Lead=Basically going into battle with five Pokes against six. Never liked them even when they were still usable. I mean the only suicide lead I'd ever use is Darkrai in Ubers, and someone else might even say it's not a suicide lead at all since it can actually take a couple hits depending on who it's coming from...well that and I only see it getting used for Dark Void+Nasty Plot.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDragoniteHD View Post
    So make sure a team has a lot of symbiotic relationships? As in no two Pokemon being weak to one type?
    Not really. It's more like Your Pokes have to be able to support each other. For example Scizor is complimented well by Heatran because it gets the Flash Fire ability which makes Heatran immune to fire and gives it a boost to fire type attacks when hit by one.
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
    Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask. Can a Cosmic Power Baton Pass Lunatone work well in the UU environment? What kind of move set and EV's would that look like?
    I would refrain from using Lunatone for reasons:
    1) It has a boatload of weakness to very common typings in every single tier and boasts little helpful resistances.
    2) It's stats or movepool do not help it pass boosts very well.

To be completely honest, Smeargle is more useful than Lunatone. While you can argue that Smeargle's stats are legitimate crap, and frankly they are, Smeargle's support movepool more than makes up for it. As a Baton Passer, Spore not only shuts down an opponent's Pokemon for a good portion of the battle, it also guarantees multiple free boosts for you to pass. Ingrain allows for Smeargle to not be Phazed away, as Whirlwinds, Roar, D-Tails, and the Rare C-Throws are all the bane of Baton Pass. These advantages make Smeargle a lot more useful for passing Cosmic Powers than your Lunatone.

[In Clan Memoriam]
    Memories are eternal.

Survival isn't eternal

Hope this is the right place to ask...I have a question about EV training.

I just accidentally over-EV trained a Pokmeon. Planned it out to get 240 Speed EVs but I forgot to take the Power Anklet off and so now I have quite a bit more.

I have EV reducing berries and I know Pokemon can't get a stat to have more than 255 EVs, but does their total EV count still go beyond that? The ONLY EVs it has right now is speed, so even though It's earned 360 EVs worth of battling is it stuck at 255 because that's the stat cap, or does it have 360 EVs and only 255 are being effective?

My guess is the former but I'm super paranoid and figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
    I'm a Pokemon Breeder and Battler who enjoys thinking outside the box and using nonstandard combinations. I never play Singles and prefer Triples and Doubles battles.

Black FC: 1636 0134 9354

Black 2 FC: 4342 0408 6129

3DS FC: 0430 - 8294 - 8077

When not playing games I'm a published writer of Science Fiction and Children's Fantasy; this is my true passion and what I hope to do for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by ZadeLunette View Post
    Hope this is the right place to ask...I have a question about EV training.

I just accidentally over-EV trained a Pokmeon. Planned it out to get 240 Speed EVs but I forgot to take the Power Anklet off and so now I have quite a bit more.

I have EV reducing berries and I know Pokemon can't get a stat to have more than 255 EVs, but does their total EV count still go beyond that? The ONLY EVs it has right now is speed, so even though It's earned 360 EVs worth of battling is it stuck at 255 because that's the stat cap, or does it have 360 EVs and only 255 are being effective?

My guess is the former but I'm super paranoid and figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
    The cap for EV's in any stat is 255. So no, their total EV count cannot go beyond 255 in any one stat. (:

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I'll just go about the rest of my training as normal then and count the 'leftover' EVs as put into speed. =)
    I'm a Pokemon Breeder and Battler who enjoys thinking outside the box and using nonstandard combinations. I never play Singles and prefer Triples and Doubles battles.

Black FC: 1636 0134 9354

Black 2 FC: 4342 0408 6129

3DS FC: 0430 - 8294 - 8077

When not playing games I'm a published writer of Science Fiction and Children's Fantasy; this is my true passion and what I hope to do for the rest of my life.

I would like to EV train my Cyndaquil before continuing with my Soul Silver playthrough.

So my question is, what EV spread works best on Typhlosion?

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    I would like to EV train my Cyndaquil before continuing with my Soul Silver playthrough.

So my question is, what EV spread works best on Typhlosion?
    Typhlosion is in the NU tier in 4th Gen, so in order to be used competitively, it most often has to have a Choice Item on it. For a regular in-game playthrough, I'd recommend putting all of your EVs into SpA and Spe. So 252 SpA, 252 Spe, and the then the other 4 into either HP or SpD.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Fun Fact: uber is actually a word.

I always thought it was just slang. As for this post, didn't know where else to post it so I thought here would fit it nicely.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Fun Fact: uber is actually a word.

I always thought it was just slang. As for this post, didn't know where else to post it so I thought here would fit it nicely.
    I think it's adopted from German iirc.

über is "super" in german.

Fun fact: uber is not a tier. it is a banlist. when banning something, you never look at how powerful it is in the above tier, you look at how Overpowered it is in its current tier.

after looking at the shadow tag chandelure voting thread from march, it needed clarifying.

What is a reasonable amount of perfect ivs for a pokemon when breeding for competitive use? To clarify, if I am breeding a pokemon to use on my team, realistically, how many stats should I try to get perfect ivs in?
    Fc: 5300-9702-8663 (in game name mike)
    Ice: spheal, Beartic and cloyster.

MM success so far,

Quote Originally Posted by koosbane View Post
    What is a reasonable amount of perfect ivs for a pokemon when breeding for competitive use? To clarify, if I am breeding a pokemon to use on my team, realistically, how many stats should I try to get perfect ivs in?
    It really depends on the Pokemon. The difference from perfect iv's and 0 iv's is about a 2% damage difference per flawless iv. This can easily be make or break against a weakened counter, but against something that you easily ko it's nothing to worry about. The only iv I tend to go for perfectly is speed, since how fast you are can easily change the game.

Here is what I generally go for when breeding for myself;

Sweepers; Max Hp, Attacking stat(s), and speed

Walls; Max hp, defensive stats, rarely speed

Tanks; a combo I feel fine with (ex; Gliscor I will try to get max hp, atk, def and spd since it has a very low special defense stat anyways)

It also depends on the Pokemon, so if the stat is basically useless to a Pokemon then don't go for that stat. Also; I am factoring in the use of power items and a everstone, if you don't use those then I would go for 1 less perfect iv or so

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

If I like to have a wonderful Milotic, should I EV train a Feebas first, or I should evolve a Feebas into Milotic, then EV train it? Are the Uber pokemon are the good things in the Wi-Fi battles,Pokemon World Tournament, Battle Subway,and Video Game Championships? If not, then I understand. Do the OU pokemon will have the best chance of winning the the competitive battles?
    I am here to help others to solve their problem,and I'm also the big fan of Kissshipping.

FC: 3737-9549-2888
    IGN: Shego

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonicwari View Post
    It really depends on the Pokemon. The difference from perfect iv's and 0 iv's is about a 2% damage difference per flawless iv. This can easily be make or break against a weakened counter, but against something that you easily ko it's nothing to worry about. The only iv I tend to go for perfectly is speed, since how fast you are can easily change the game.

Here is what I generally go for when breeding for myself;

Sweepers; Max Hp, Attacking stat(s), and speed

Walls; Max hp, defensive stats, rarely speed

Tanks; a combo I feel fine with (ex; Gliscor I will try to get max hp, atk, def and spd since it has a very low special defense stat anyways)

It also depends on the Pokemon, so if the stat is basically useless to a Pokemon then don't go for that stat. Also; I am factoring in the use of power items and a everstone, if you don't use those then I would go for 1 less perfect iv or so
    Thank you, you basically confirmed my suspicions. I do use everstones but I am still working on getting the power items in my 5th gen games.
    Fc: 5300-9702-8663 (in game name mike)
    Ice: spheal, Beartic and cloyster.

MM success so far,

Quote Originally Posted by thedarklord2155 View Post
    über is "super" in german.

Fun fact: uber is not a tier. it is a banlist. when banning something, you never look at how powerful it is in the above tier, you look at how Overpowered it is in its current tier.

after looking at the shadow tag chandelure voting thread from march, it needed clarifying.
    No, its a tier. Originally a banlist like BL, it became its own tier as more and more people started playing it. It has its own rules, and even its own banlist (Moody is banned from Ubers). Ubers is both a banlist, and a tier.

Page 216 of 247 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226 ... LastLast