Page 218 of 246 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 6149

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Uber = banned.

Anyways, best dragons for DragMag? I'm running CB Nite/Scarf MoxieMence/Specs Latios with epic results, but IDK if there's better.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    The original question specifically asked for non-OU Pokemon. Venusaur is obviously a superior sun sweeper to Sawsbuck but if we're ignoring tiers, so is Ho-oh.
    Scarf Chandelure can be dangerous in the sun. So can Exegg. Although Exegg has little sweeping potential...more for quick status or revenge killing under the sun...I feel like there's not that much sweeper potential outside of OU pokes for sun teams.

PS I used to see a lot of scarfed Rotom-H back in the day...probably not great for sweeping though..lacks a good Fire type attack outside of Overheat...
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    On topic of Serebii's Pokemon of the Week (Ditto), do you think it would work well if I used a teammate with Tailwind and U-turn or Volt Switch? If so, who should I use (preferably someone who's slow so they still move second even after Tailwind is put up)? What item should I give Ditto?
    The slowest Pokémon that can use Tailwind as well as being useful in OU would be Scizor, which can also learn U-Turn. For your Ditto, the only (half)serious option would be Choice Scarf to become arguably one of the best revenge killers in the metagame. Though you could run with Leftovers if your plan is to use it while Talwind is in effect, if that's what you're planning. The opponent would more than likely switch out immediately after you switch Ditto in, expecting a Choice Scarf, so you could net a surprise KO due to having their whole moveset at your disposal. Also, with Leftovers, you can easily end up turning the opponent's own walls against them.

I would only give tailwind to Pokemon with high offensive stats but poor speed, something that's below 70. Scizor, like Pistolita mentioned would already have bulletpunch to make up for its speed. I wouldn't rank it as a good support move because of the fact that it applies to both your opponent and you, so if your opponent is running a Ferrothorn or Swampert, for example, tailwind could possibly benefit them if it is still up.

Also, have many people considered Jumpluff as a lead? I know it's constantly compared to Whimsicott, which gets taunt and is faster, but Jumpluff gets Sleep Powder, Reflect, and Aromatherapy in addition to Leech Seed. I just see some very good lead and support options among Jumpluff's movepool.
    - Known on Smogon as PlatinumMage!! -

John 3:16-For God so loved the world that He gave His only son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    If you're a Christian and you love Jesus, add this verse to your sig. Started by jesusfreak94.
    Put this in your sig if you think Hoenn deserves remakes!started by Flare64

Hello, I'm working on a double team that includes a Follow Me Togekiss and a Focus Punch Heracross so I can remove Substitute and free up a move slot for a more offensive move. My question is two fold, one what is a good EV spread Heracross (because I don't need to max out HP for the sake of Substitute) and B would Moxie or Guts be the better choice?

Does anyone know a nice moveset for Toxic Boost Zangoose?

Fc: 3695-0172-1881

Quote Originally Posted by TherianForm View Post
    Well.. Toxic Orb is obvious,but life orb can be used.
    He is kinda frail so.. common pgysical sweeper EVs.

@Toxic Orb/Life Orb
    252 attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
    Toxic Boost
    Jolly
    -Swords Dance
    -Return
    -Close Combat
    -Quick Attack/Night Slash

If you use priority you can go for Adamant since most fast things are also frail.. I think Life Orb is better and you can be stronger with toxic boost too bad he doesn't get Guts instead..

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

EV's: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Def
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Nature: Jolly
    •Detect
    •Return
    •Shadow Claw
    •Close Combat

Detect must be used only once to activate Toxic Orb. Shadow Claw is the only move that hits Flash Fire Chandelure. Close Combat and Fire Punch get through steel-type resistances. Close Combat hits Aggron, Bastiodon and Probopass very hard.

i have to disagree with the above two for a zangoose set.

it should never be using detect/protect because that's only a crutch for newer/inexperienced players and is a waste of a good moveslot. zangoose has enough speed and access to quick attack to pick off anything that's weakened in order to get its toxic orb activated. a well-timed double switch is also one way to get it in.

swords dance is really deadly, but zangoose hardly has the time to do that when it can hardly take attacks and is limited by toxic orb. swords dance also means giving up coverage or priority, which can be really irritating since zangoose is better off being a self-sufficient wallbreaker and not being a sweeper that needs support. i'm not saying that swords dance isn't viable, but zangoose is usually better off attacking right off the bat as a wallbreaker.

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Toxic Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Facade
    - Quick Attack
    - Close Combat
    - Night Slash

this is the set that i actually use. and because of this set, i can just slap it onto most teams i make no matter what is in it. it's just that self-sufficient.

of course, this is coming from my perspective and i primarily play nu, so that's where my advice mostly applies. but this is pretty straightforward, so i'm pretty sure it's pretty much the same for higher tiers (i know that ru players use the same set too).

also i don't know why return would be used when facade is clearly better. lol.
    edit: technically, shadow claw > night slash but it doesn't matter. the only situation where it does matter is if you're trying to hit a ghost type, but the user switches out the ghost type to go into a fighting type. really situational, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolita View Post
    The slowest Pokémon that can use Tailwind as well as being useful in OU would be Scizor, which can also learn U-Turn. For your Ditto, the only (half)serious option would be Choice Scarf to become arguably one of the best revenge killers in the metagame. Though you could run with Leftovers if your plan is to use it while Talwind is in effect, if that's what you're planning. The opponent would more than likely switch out immediately after you switch Ditto in, expecting a Choice Scarf, so you could net a surprise KO due to having their whole moveset at your disposal. Also, with Leftovers, you can easily end up turning the opponent's own walls against them.
    Okay, guess I'll aim for a bulky set for my Scizor and try it out.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by locket View Post
    i have to disagree with the above two for a zangoose set.

it should never be using detect/protect because that's only a crutch for newer/inexperienced players and is a waste of a good moveslot. zangoose has enough speed and access to quick attack to pick off anything that's weakened in order to get its toxic orb activated. a well-timed double switch is also one way to get it in.

swords dance is really deadly, but zangoose hardly has the time to do that when it can hardly take attacks and is limited by toxic orb. swords dance also means giving up coverage or priority, which can be really irritating since zangoose is better off being a self-sufficient wallbreaker and not being a sweeper that needs support. i'm not saying that swords dance isn't viable, but zangoose is usually better off attacking right off the bat as a wallbreaker.

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Toxic Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Facade
    - Quick Attack
    - Close Combat
    - Night Slash

this is the set that i actually use. and because of this set, i can just slap it onto most teams i make no matter what is in it. it's just that self-sufficient.

of course, this is coming from my perspective and i primarily play nu, so that's where my advice mostly applies. but this is pretty straightforward, so i'm pretty sure it's pretty much the same for higher tiers (i know that ru players use the same set too).

also i don't know why return would be used when facade is clearly better. lol.
    edit: technically, shadow claw > night slash but it doesn't matter. the only situation where it does matter is if you're trying to hit a ghost type, but the user switches out the ghost type to go into a fighting type. really situational, but whatever.
    Thanks!

Just a quick question, are Minimize/Double Team Strategies banned?

Thanks!

Just a quick question, are Minimize/Double Team Strategies banned?
    evasion clause.

Is that for all wi-fi battles e.g on serebii, or just Smogon?

I have a shiny Zubat that I want to use in competitive battling.
    Nature: Hasty

What EV spread would be recommended?

A mixed-attack moveset that was recommended to me was:
    -Cross Poison
    -Aerial Ace/Acrobatics
    -Giga Drain
    -Heat Wave

Is it recommended to put Roost on Crobat? I am tempted to throw that in there.

I know that in the past, Crobat was often used as a taunter, with: Taunt, Roost, Toxic, and an attacking move.

What direction should I go with this? Thanks

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

I want to raise an Accelgor, but I am conflicted as to which Hidden Power is more useful. I have looked at the sets for Smogon, and they basically have either Hidden Power Rock or Hidden Power Ice. I can breed for both, I just don't know which is more useful. Both of them would take care of flying types, but Ice has the advantage of taking care of dragons. Rock is better suited for taking out Moltres, and other flying types that Ice won't hit super effectively. So does it really matter?

Also, I am wondering which set I should use. I was planning on making a speed team, so it would likely need to have sweeping potential, but a lead set with Focus Sash/Sticky Hold could work too. Does anyone have any preferences as to which set best suits Accelgor or which one is more effective?

P.S. I have never done competitive battling before, so I don't have any experience about each tier, the common pokemon used, etc.
    White FC: 4728 5263 4514
    White 2 FC: 4771 5281 8895

Special thanks to FairyWitch for the wonderful banners, and adding me to TEG!

*Double Spoiler and Signature exceeds height limit. Offending contents removed.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    I have a shiny Zubat that I want to use in competitive battling.
    Nature: Hasty

What EV spread would be recommended?

A mixed-attack moveset that was recommended to me was:
    -Cross Poison
    -Aerial Ace/Acrobatics
    -Giga Drain
    -Heat Wave

Is it recommended to put Roost on Crobat? I am tempted to throw that in there.

I know that in the past, Crobat was often used as a taunter, with: Taunt, Roost, Toxic, and an attacking move.

What direction should I go with this? Thanks
    I'll give this a go..

252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Sp

Acrobatics
    Toxic
    Super Fang
    Toxic/Taunt/Cross Poison

Not sure if this is good, you may have to ask a few more people

And just a quick question, are hazards worth putting up in Double Battles?

Okay. I need help with my Sub-Gengar.
    What is better, running Sub with Giga Drain or Shadow Ball?
    I feel like Gengar needs healing options without having to rely on a Wisher.
    Scizor Gengar Eelektross Metagross Wobbuffet Starmie
    I do love me some Spiritomb and Sudowoodo, though.

Quote Originally Posted by saxtonhale View Post
    Okay. I need help with my Sub-Gengar.
    What is better, running Sub with Giga Drain or Shadow Ball?
    I feel like Gengar needs healing options without having to rely on a Wisher.
    Typically you're going to get around Gengar's frailty through well timed use of Substitute, with Leftovers being your only means of recovery. You can use Pain Split if you really think you need it, but SubDisable Gengar is a much more powerful threat than SubSplit is in my opinion.

Pretty much no matter how you slice it, Gengar is going to be dead weight without Substitute on there somewhere. You also pretty much always see it with Shadow Ball for STAB and Focus Blast for that nice Ghost/Fighting perfect coverage. The fourth move is really the only thing that ever changes. Disable is a popular one, as is Pain Split, like I said before. If you're going to opt for a third damage dealing move, Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Fire are popular ones. The point of a third move however would be to hit stuff that takes neutral damage from Focus Blast super effectively. Grass isn't really giving you much in terms of coverage, an it likely won't be all that strong against very much.

I appreciate where you're coming from with Giga Drain, but at the end of the day, Gengar isn't one of those Pokemon that is meant to last for very long. It hides behind subs and annoys the crap out of your opponents, while hitting specific targets very hard. It can be devastating if used right, but it isn't really meant to be a long term sweeper.

can someone link me to a 5th gen damage calculator that doesn't require a download?
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    can someone link me to a 5th gen damage calculator that doesn't require a download?
    This should work.

that's not u p to date wih the 5th gen.

they changed the damage mechanics, so that no longer works.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

I use this one. It is up to date with gen 5, although I'm not sure if it includes Pokemon like Kyurem-B or the Therians.

lol, my browser won't load that one.

man i suck today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    lol, my browser won't load that one.

man i suck today.
    The one in my signature you only need to download a plugin which takes a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

http://kalashnikov.pokecenter.ru/damage/

This one has been up to date for a whole and I can use it on my iPod if that's any use to you

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

Page 218 of 246 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228 ... LastLast