Page 243 of 247 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247 LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,075 of 6151

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Quote Originally Posted by alexfirefist6 View Post
    i'm totally new to competitive pokemon so my question is does a competitive pokemon team have to have certain roles? such as i can have a decent team with all physical sweepers or half physical sweepers and half tanks? a good example of this would be league of legend. for those of you have played it you would know generally a team would be consisted of a solo top(could be a variety), solo mid either mage or burst ad, duo bot with adc and support and a jungler.
    I would say yes. There are sweepers, walls, revenge killers, spinners, hazard setters and more. A lot of mons have more than one role, and in a team you want to have a good mix.

Quote Originally Posted by cxinlee View Post
    I would say yes. There are sweepers, walls, revenge killers, spinners, hazard setters and more. A lot of mons have more than one role, and in a team you want to have a good mix.
    so then what would be a good mix? would be it alright to have 2 physical sweepers?

so then what would be a good mix? would be it alright to have 2 physical sweepers?
    It depends on how many Pokemon are on your team, and whether it's a Single or Double Battle. I prefer Double Battles, and my Doubles Sun team has a Weather inducer, a hazard setter, a wall, and a physical and special sweeper that I rotate among.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Extreme ev training noob question
    Basically I don't play competitively but wanted to try ev training but I'm lazy about.the process, have pokerus + power lens so that's 12 evs right? So if I beat like 13 or however many litwicks (plus.having 100 evs from vitamins) would that give me all 252 evs for sp atk that i would need or is not that simple to get all evs I need for oneq stat
    #teamchespin #teamfennekin

Quote Originally Posted by pikkichu View Post
    Extreme ev training noob question
    Basically I don't play competitively but wanted to try ev training but I'm lazy about.the process, have pokerus + power lens so that's 12 evs right? So if I beat like 13 or however many litwicks (plus.having 100 evs from vitamins) would that give me all 252 evs for sp atk that i would need or is not that simple to get all evs I need for oneq stat
    Okay...If I'm understanding this correctly, you're training a Pokemon in Sp. Attack and you want to know how many EVs per Litwick you get with the Power Lens, Pokerus, and 10 Calciums.

Litwick gives 1 Sp. Attack EV. Pokerus adds 4, and Power Lens doubles it, stacking with Power Lens. So that's (1+4)*2, or 10 Sp. Atk EVs per Litwick.

If you want to have 252 EVs in Sp.Atk, then you need to defeat 252/10, or 26 Litwicks. But, if you give your Pokemon 10 Calciums, it will gain 100 Sp. Atk EVs right off the bat. That means that you'll have to defeat ((252-100)/10), or 16, Litwicks to get 252 Sp. Atk EVs.

Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

thanks everyone who answered my previous questions i have another one
    why use revenge killers in competitive play? this is just based off what i've read but they are suppose to come in when one of your team dies but then couldn't the enemy just manually switch their pokemon that way whatever your about to use to ohko wouldn't ohko the one they send out?

thanks everyone who answered my previous questions i have another one
    why use revenge killers in competitive play? this is just based off what i've read but they are suppose to come in when one of your team dies but then couldn't the enemy just manually switch their pokemon that way whatever your about to use to ohko wouldn't ohko the one they send out?
    Typically Revenge Killers are used to finish off weakened Pokemon. So a lot of the time it is better to fodder off that Pokemon then to send in a different one to take the damage. For example Stoutland is a exellent revenge killer with Sand Rush+STAB Retaliate. Since Retaliate can OHKO or severely weaken a large amount of threats it is usually better to just let your weakened Pokemon faint then to switch in a different Pokemon instead because of how much power Retaliate will have during that turn. But since a lot of revenge killers use Choice Scarfs switching out can be a option if you have something on your team that will resist , is immune to , or will be able to easily take the attack you are expecting. For example while Retaliate from Stoutland can be deadly to a large amount of Pokemon if you know the Stoutland is holding a Choice item and not a Silk Scarf or Life Orb then you might consider sending in Ferrothorn who will take Retaliate no problem and give Iron Barb recoil as well or send in a Ghost type like Jellicent or Gengar. By doing this (assuming you are not predicted and your opponent uses SuperPower or Crunch) you will have a free turn to set up a sub or hazards or whatever you feel you need to do. So basically whether or not you should switch out on a revenge killer depends on if you have anything to check the revenge killer. If not it is usually better to just fodder off the weakened Pokemon you already have in play
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Hello there everyone,

I'm not certain whether this is the proper thread for this problem, but having looked around, I don't believe there really is a more appropriate setting.

So, I have a shiny Tepig. I plan to raise it into an Emboar. It has been sitting in my PC for numerous months, as I am horribly confused about what to do with it.

Now, one would think the answer is obvious; the thing is built for physically attacking things, therefore raise it to do just that. However, my problem is that the Tepig is Modest. Not only that, but it has a perfect IV in Special Attack.

Now, an Emboar's Special Attack stat isn't too horrid. Competitively speaking, is a specially oriented Emboar worth the surprise factor? Smogon doesn't seem to think so. I considered a mixed attacking set for a little while, but not sure whether attempting to salvage a -max stat is worth it.

I do not currently battle competitively, but I like to raise my Pokemon to a competitive standard in case I choose to in the future. I generally use the best natures available, but I don't really want to put the Tepig to waste.

I realize the answers will likely vary from person to person, but as I am not currently used to the competitive scene, I figured it couldn't hurt to seek some advice from those more knowledgeable in the field.

Thank you for your time, and if this isn't the ideal place to ask, I humbly apologize.
    Shinies: (x2) (x2)
    Shinies are Not For Trade
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hidden Ability Pokemon:     Spoiler:- Click:

Quote Originally Posted by ZombifiedHorror1031 View Post
    Hello there everyone,

I'm not certain whether this is the proper thread for this problem, but having looked around, I don't believe there really is a more appropriate setting.

So, I have a shiny Tepig. I plan to raise it into an Emboar. It has been sitting in my PC for numerous months, as I am horribly confused about what to do with it.

Now, one would think the answer is obvious; the thing is built for physically attacking things, therefore raise it to do just that. However, my problem is that the Tepig is Modest. Not only that, but it has a perfect IV in Special Attack.

Now, an Emboar's Special Attack stat isn't too horrid. Competitively speaking, is a specially oriented Emboar worth the surprise factor? Smogon doesn't seem to think so. I considered a mixed attacking set for a little while, but not sure whether attempting to salvage a -max stat is worth it.

I do not currently battle competitively, but I like to raise my Pokemon to a competitive standard in case I choose to in the future. I generally use the best natures available, but I don't really want to put the Tepig to waste.

I realize the answers will likely vary from person to person, but as I am not currently used to the competitive scene, I figured it couldn't hurt to seek some advice from those more knowledgeable in the field.

Thank you for your time, and if this isn't the ideal place to ask, I humbly apologize.
    Here's what I think about this. If your Tepig is Modest, it will lose 10% of its Attack Stat, while gaining 10% in its Sp.Atk. Honestly, this pretty much evens out your Tepig's Attack and Sp. Atk base stats, making them essentially about the same, around 110 each. Stats-wise, whether you make your Emboar a physical or special attacker probably won't matter in the long run because of this. The problem I forsee is that Emboar has very poor choices of special moves. If you want a Special Attacker, I would do something like this:

Emboar
    Modest @ Choice Scarf
    / 252 Sp.Atk/ 4 Sp. Def/ 252 Spe

Fire Blast
    Toxic/Will-O-Wisp
    Focus Blast
    Grass Knot

-------

What kind of move set should i have on my prankster sableye and what kind of nature should i have impish (+D/-SpA) or careful (+SpD/-SpA)?

Quote Originally Posted by lecheroflakes333 View Post
    What kind of move set should i have on my prankster sableye and what kind of nature should i have impish (+D/-SpA) or careful (+SpD/-SpA)?
    Try this

Sableye (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 134 Def / 126 SpD
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt
    - Night Shade

These two might work for you also

Sableye (M) @ Iron ball
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt
    - Fling

Sableye (M) @ Leftovers
    - Toxic
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Swagger
    - Foul Play
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Hello everyone. Well my problem is what nature and evs I should put on my skarmory. So heres my question: Should i make an impish nature (+Def/-SAtk) to make an absolute wall in my rain team or should I make it careful nature (+SDef/-SAtk) to balance out its bulk?
    FC 3139 4644 6237

If you're NOT going to use it on a rain team, I'd make it Careful and balance out its bulk, because most people, when they see Skarmory, will just hit it with Special attacks (usually Fire) to kill it. Bulking up its SpD might help it survive a little longer and make it a better wall. (224 HP/32 Def/252 SpD)

If you're going to use it on a Rain team, I would make it Impish and put all of its EVs into Defense, because in Rain Skarmory's only threat is electricity, and you don't see Thunder a whole lot on teams other than Rain, so you're usually pretty safe. (224 HP/252 Def/32 SpD)

If you really wanted to, you could do Careful or Impish with 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpD, but I'm really not sure how well that would work out because Skarmory's HP is pretty bad.

-------

Thank you varanus. Now should i make skarmory hold leftovers or shed shell?
    FC 3139 4644 6237

Hello everyone. Well my problem is what nature and evs I should put on my skarmory. So heres my question: Should i make an impish nature (+Def/-SAtk) to make an absolute wall in my rain team or should I make it careful nature (+SDef/-SAtk) to balance out its bulk?
    It depends on the rest of the team really...not just on whether it is a rain team or not. Unless I know what the rest of the team is I can't really suggest which one to use :/

Leftovers

I think I'd go with Leftovers, personally. I've never run into a trapping situation on Wifi battles where I'd need a Shed Shell, but that doesn't mean that traps aren't out there. It would be bad to have Skarmory in a trapping situation, though.

-------

I've been trying to post an lc thread with no success. Was the thread rejected or ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by cxinlee View Post
    I've been trying to post an lc thread with no success. Was the thread rejected or ignored?
    A mod has more than likely just not checked the forums you posted it in, or they may have missed it. Wait about 5 days then pm a mod about it.

Hello.I got my hands on a FDW exeggcute,and i don't know what to do with it? Any ideas are much appreciated.
    FC 3139 4644 6237

Hello.I got my hands on a FDW exeggcute,and i don't know what to do with it? Any ideas are much appreciated.
    The only thing you can do with a DWF Exeggutor is make it SubSeed and give it a Sitrus Berry. This works even better in the Sun, as Harvest activates 100% of the time instead of 50% of the time. However, it's very rare to see this set, because most things can OHKO Exeggutor, and Chlorophyll Exeggutor is much more common and more useful.

-------

If I have a Level 100 Machamp and a Level 50 Machamp what would be the difference in stat's if I use them over Wi-Fi and every pokemon will change to level 50 regardless? Send me a message if anyone knows.
    X FC 1650 1536 9669

Does anyone know exactly how they check for legitimacy on game files for the official Nintendo VGC (regionals, nationals, worlds) tournaments? I use an AR for items and whatnot for competitive battling, and I'm looking to try to finally compete this coming season.

Thing is, you really can't do well in the official tournies without using legends. I've always IV bred and EV trained everything myself, even writing guides and posting them here and there for others. But I've never really used legends simply because of personal preference. I know I'll have to change that somewhat though for the tournaments, and I have NO idea how to guarantee decent IVs on them.

Do people typically just PokeGen them for max IVs?

Can the judges detect things done with PokeGen?

If you have 999x of nearly every item in your bag, that seems like an obvious red flag. Would that get you the boot?

Do you have to play in the TCG as well to compete in the VGC?

How do invites work for the VGC? It seemed like the points work only for the TCG when I was researching online.

If I must avoid using an AR, I'm prepared for that. Like I said, I mostly just use them for items, but I'm lost when it comes to acquiring competitive-quality legends since I can't breed for them.
    Thanks in advance!

What is a good special attacking set for Chikorita in LC and is it somewhat viable?

"Well I'm walking by the red light
    Gonna find me all that I'm owed
    And I know where I'm gonna be then
    When the red light's gonna shine on me"

Quote Originally Posted by stylesbk View Post
    If I have a Level 100 Machamp and a Level 50 Machamp what would be the difference in stat's if I use them over Wi-Fi and every pokemon will change to level 50 regardless? Send me a message if anyone knows.
    It would depend entirely on their respective EVs and IVs, as well as nature. If all of those things were identical, they would obviously be identical when set to Level 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Drugall View Post
    Does anyone know exactly how they check for legitimacy on game files for the official Nintendo VGC (regionals, nationals, worlds) tournaments? I use an AR for items and whatnot for competitive battling, and I'm looking to try to finally compete this coming season.
    Was there a reason your whole post was in bold?

Thing is, you really can't do well in the official tournies without using legends.
    Moltres is a legendary and one of the worst Pokemon of all; Excadrill can literally be found rolling around in the dust and can rolfstomp 90% of the game. Being a legendary has nothing to do with being competitively viable.

Do people typically just PokeGen them for max IVs?
    That is one way of getting flawless IVs, but it is typically frowned upon and I think is detectable at official tournaments. The other, more legitimate way is through RNGing. There are countless guides on how to do it, but I know Smogon has a very thorough one.

Can the judges detect things done with PokeGen?
    From what I understand, yes. I'm not positive though.

If you have 999x of nearly every item in your bag, that seems like an obvious red flag. Would that get you the boot?
    Again, from what I've gathered, I don't think they look at anything except your Pokemon themselves.

Do you have to play in the TCG as well to compete in the VGC?
    They're two totally separate things.

If I must avoid using an AR, I'm prepared for that. Like I said, I mostly just use them for items, but I'm lost when it comes to acquiring competitive-quality legends since I can't breed for them.
    Again, RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroicRein View Post
    What is a good special attacking set for Chikorita in LC and is it somewhat viable?
    Chikorita

So as a newcomer to the battle scene would you recommend training pokemon to level 100 or just to level 50 since thats level limit in most standard battles?
    X FC 1650 1536 9669

Page 243 of 247 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247 LastLast