Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1296

Thread: Official Serebii 5th Gen Tier List & Standard Rules Discussion Thread

  1. #1201
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orre
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AzureCharizard View Post
    can someone tell me why black kyurem is not uber, it has the stats to belong up there
    Smogon made the decision to bring it into OU. It really belongs in ubers.

  2. #1202
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AzureCharizard View Post
    can someone tell me why black kyurem is not uber, it has the stats to belong up there
    Shallow move-pool with poor coverage, Ice typing, and low Speed. Nonetheless, I think the guys at Smogon have officially lost all of their sanity.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  3. #1203
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Up someone's a**crack
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Shallow move-pool with poor coverage, Ice typing, and low Speed. Nonetheless, I think the guys at Smogon have officially lost all of their sanity.
    That's not a fair statement. Pokemon-Online's tiering guild (w/e the hell it's called) deemed Kyurem-B an OU pokemon about 3-4 months ago (approximately one month before Smogon Suspect Tested Garchomp). If anything, Smogon is slacking in identifying unsuitable Ubers.

    Furthermore, your statement about Smogon losing all their sanity is just overstatement. Kyurem-B sucks in OU, even with its buffed stats. I've played on PO's server for the majority of the summer (which was around the time Kyu was released into PO OU). All I can say is that it made no impact whatsoever to their metagame (which was devoid of Garchomp back then). Check their usage stats. It sits down near the 70~80 mark in usage, and its Normal forme does better than him.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

    [In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

    RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

    RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

  4. #1204

    Default

    Ok, great news. The Lax Victini was a false alarm, so it is confirmed that you can have a Victini with any nature. This means that Bolt Strike CB Victini is a thing now. Just one more hurdle left to jump...

    Ain't it the truth.

  5. #1205
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    694

    Default

    with the upgraded movepool, does anyone think victini will possibly go to ou? it now outclasses darmanitan(i guess) as it now can use a decent mixed set of scarf, bolt strike, v-create, u-turn, glaciate, to get past one of its main uu counters- eviolite gligar. it also has perfect coverage, bar rotom-h and lanturn. any ideas? victini just got a major boost.

  6. #1206
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Up someone's a**crack
    Posts
    328

    Default

    I wouldn't say a major boost, but the step up from Fusion Bolt to Bolt Strike is definitely nice since it can get some OHKO some more Pokemon. Glaciate is near useless. It's weaker than Hidden Power Ice. Furthermore, in terms of Victini, it never uses Ice moves in its coverage sets and rarely does anyone use a Specially oriented Victini.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

    [In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

    RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

    RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

  7. #1207

    Default

    Interestingly enough, a NVE V-Create in the Sun is stronger than a SE Fusion Bolt, but a SE Bolt Strike is considerably stronger. In fact, a CB Victini has a shot at OHKOing 248/216+ Jellicent with Bolt Strike (guaranteed after SR), something it could never do before (even with SR). That's certainly a plus.

    EDIT: In a stunning turn of events (okay not really, kinda saw this coming), Genesect has been banned from OU. Although I was sorta on the fence about it, it is a relief to see it go. Having to deal with a sweeper with insane coverage and the ability to get to +1 SpA/+2 Spe in one turn was hard enough, but then having to answer to the ever common momentum stealing Scarf set, as well as the occasional Band, Specs, and Expert Belt sets, all-in-all was just too much of a hassle regarding team building. Don't think for a second that this will balance the metagame out, though. Rain was still extremely prevalent during the suspect metagame, and I think it's only a matter of time before Drizzle or Tornadus-T get suspected.

  8. #1208
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,781

    Default

    I for one am glad that Genesect is out of the game, and I normally lean OU on a lot of suspects.

  9. #1209
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fighting and Rising.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Yeah it's too bad that bw2 ou will still suck, but banning Genesect was definitely a step in the right direction.
    [12:46:24 PM] Garza: yeah yeah
    [12:46:34 PM] Garza: your a tubular troller

    mangoes, peaches, and limes

  10. #1210
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    I'm not telling you!
    Posts
    151

    Default

    You probably want to change the tier list and take off that Soul Dew isn't obtainable in the games. Durant and Cresselia are both RU now. Also free Excadrill .
    Witness the truly awesome power of my claimed Gyarados.

    Gyarados used Epic Awesomeness!
    It's super effective!
    The foe lost OVER 9000% of its health!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero View Post
    "I moved my Monopoly piece forward two squares when nobody was looking, but I didn't use an action replay so it's totally okay"

  11. #1211
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Battle Frontier isn't in ORAS
    Posts
    6,757

    Default

    Thank God, Genesect having the potential to outspeed scarf users alongside with a sp attack got annoying. At least you won't see the GeneTrio in OU anymore.


  12. #1212
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Santos, San Andreas
    Posts
    737

    Default

    I love disappearing for a few days and then coming back to see genesect banned ♥

    Anyways...usage stats time.

    Nothing spectacular sadly, but here they are anyways.
    Abomasnow down to UU from OU
    Absol up to RU from NU
    Cinccino up to RU from NU
    Roselia down to NU from RU
    Stoutland down to NU from RU
    Only comment here is that snow warning aboma may be unbanned come the next tier change...and poor stoutland

    Up to NU from PU: Electabuzz, Electrode, Marowak, Liepard, Tangela, Eelektross, Ditto, Seismitoad, Zangoose
    Down to PU from NU: Rapidash, Kangaskhan, Camerupt, Torterra

    Again, meh.

  13. #1213
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    694

    Default

    now, aboma in uu, im guessing thats with soundproof only? if so, then yeah, the changes are meh. if not....then the uu metagame just drastically changed

  14. #1214

    Default

    Don't forget, the tiers haven't changed just yet. Those are just the speculations for next month based on the usage stats of this month. Of course, NU was supposed to get Roselia during the last tier shift, so maybe it'll actually happen this time.

    There's also the fact that, depending on how the suspect testing goes in UU and RU, the next tier shift might actually be put off till February.

    As for Abomasnow dropping to UU, Snow Warning has been recently unbanned in UU. There is still some discussion as to whether or not they want to unban it in the lower tiers as well (and I personally think they should give it a shot), but if Abomasnow drops, it'll be legal with Snow Warning.

  15. #1215
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Littleroot Town
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Deoxys event with Dark Pulse and Nasty Plot.

    About time it got Dark Pulse...And Nasty Plot to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragalge View Post
    We'll get Mega Flygon/Milotic when Roy gets his job back in SSB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster_Lord View Post
    Welcome to the Internet, enjoy your Ridley on smash claims, now with fairy type add on for 20% extra coolness factor.
    __________
    Twitter

  16. #1216
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    That's not a fair statement. Pokemon-Online's tiering guild (w/e the hell it's called) deemed Kyurem-B an OU pokemon about 3-4 months ago (approximately one month before Smogon Suspect Tested Garchomp). If anything, Smogon is slacking in identifying unsuitable Ubers.
    I could not disagree with you more (thats directed to your whole post). Ubers is not relevant at all when it comes to tiering. It's all about the standard/ou environment. And Kyurem-B should've never been send back to OU for the reasons that I'm going to explain to you in this post. Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to attack you in person even tho it sometimes may seem like this. I'm just really dedicated to banning Kyurem-B again c:

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    Furthermore, your statement about Smogon losing all their sanity is just overstatement. Kyurem-B sucks in OU, even with its buffed stats.
    Stats
    Kyurem-B can achieve near pefect coverage due to its physical and special movepool. People only see the 170 base attack stat but that's not all that Kyurem-B is offering. It has a 'nice' special attack stat as well. And by nice I mean that it has the same base stat of lets say Arceus. Talking about Arceus, Kyurem-B has the 2nd highest total base stats in the entire game, only coming second to the lord himself.

    Counter
    I couldn't care more less if Kyurem-B did not have an impressive movepool as well, but it does. And because of it, it has only ONE true and reliable counter. That is Ferrothorn. Furthermore it has the highest attack stat in OU combined with the most powerful attack move there is: Outrage (Close Combat is 2nd).

    So enough about the stats, movepool and the lack of switch-ins/counters, lets talk about Kyurem-B in action.

    Priority moves
    Kyurem-B is weak to priority moves: yup, too bad nobody can actually OHKO him. I'll show some calcs:

    252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 324-384 (82.86 - 98.2%)
    252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 324-384 (82.86 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk Flame Orb Conkeldurr (Guts) Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 228-270 (58.31 - 69.05%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

    And Kyurem-B 2hko's every single last one of them, so that does not make them a counter.

    Stealth Rock
    But it has a weakness to stealth rock? Yes it does, but so does Ho-oh. SR is not and should never be a valid tiering argument. Rapid Spin exists for a reason. And the addition of Magic Bounce pokemon also adds to the fact that it is never a given that SR will be on the field. You could also give Kyurem-B roost if you're really that desperate (altho that would be dumb).

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    I've played on PO's server for the majority of the summer (which was around the time Kyu was released into PO OU). All I can say is that it made no impact whatsoever to their metagame (which was devoid of Garchomp back then). Check their usage stats. It sits down near the 70~80 mark in usage, and its Normal forme does better than him.
    Impact on the metagame
    I can judge by your post that you use offensive teams. And to be honest I agree with you on the usage part. To quote PO: Kyurem-B (2.91 %). It's on the 58th spot. So yes, Kyurem-B lacks against (hyper)offensive teams (which dominate atm). So I understand that you plea that it has made no impact. But, there is a but: it does have made a HUGE impact on the metagame itself. Why? I tell you why. Bulky teams and stall teams have lost their ground partly thanks to Kyurem-B (the others being Terrakion, Volcarona, Tornadus-T and the now banned Genesect). Adding Kyurem-B is a death sentence to bulky/stall teams because Kyurem-B has only ONE counter. Even Skarmory can not wall Kyurem-B. And if that doesn't impress you, then I would not know what does. The addition of Kyurem-B has lead to the fact that (hyper) offense is the only way to be victorious in this broken metagame.

    But then I ask you this, why would we even let Kyurem-B back to OU when it does not have an 'impact' at all when you're facing (hyper)offense, but it utterly destroys the usability of bulky/stall teams? Kyurem-B does not 'add' anything to the metagame, it only removes things. And by this the diversity of the metagame will narrow, which is never a good thing IMO. So they should ban Kyurem-B again for the sake of diversity.

    End rant
    So I hope that you understand why I disagree with you. And that unbanning Kyurem-B is a foolhardy decision that has only been done in the light of offensive teams.

  17. #1217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyFriedTorchic View Post
    Counter
    I couldn't care more less if Kyurem-B did not have an impressive movepool as well, but it does. And because of it, it has only ONE true and reliable counter. That is Ferrothorn. Furthermore it has the highest attack stat in OU combined with the most powerful attack move there is: Outrage (Close Combat is 2nd).
    The concept of "counter everything" died a long time ago. Several Pokemon in OU don't have any counters, so the fact that Kyurem-B has any counters in OU (and you can actually add Forretress to that list, since Kyurem-B without HP Fire can't even guarantee a 3HKO) is actually an argument against its ban. OU today is all about checks, not counters. As long as you can keep something in check, that's usually all you can ask for.

    Not to mention that having STAB Outrage isn't exactly a great advantage. Outrage is one of the worst moves in the metagame right now. Unless you're positive that you're at the point where you can sweep with it, using Outrage will put your Dragon at the risk of being killed right after since you can't switch out. If you try to run Dragon Claw to make up for that, then you're using a pretty weak STAB move. In fact, Adamant Kyurem-B's Outrage is significantly weaker than Jolly Terrakion's Close Combat, just to illustrate the power difference.

    Priority moves
    Kyurem-B is weak to priority moves: yup, too bad nobody can actually OHKO him. I'll show some calcs:

    252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 324-384 (82.86 - 98.2%)
    252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 324-384 (82.86 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk Flame Orb Conkeldurr (Guts) Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 228-270 (58.31 - 69.05%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

    And Kyurem-B 2hko's every single last one of them, so that does not make them a counter.
    Looks to me like Scizor and Breloom can guarantee a OHKO after Stealth Rock. I'd say that makes them both excellent checks, so yes, Kyurem-B does get destroyed by the most common priority in OU.

    Stealth Rock
    But it has a weakness to stealth rock? Yes it does, but so does Ho-oh. SR is not and should never be a valid tiering argument. Rapid Spin exists for a reason. And the addition of Magic Bounce pokemon also adds to the fact that it is never a given that SR will be on the field. You could also give Kyurem-B roost if you're really that desperate (altho that would be dumb).
    Just because it's possible to remove Stealth Rock doesn't make it a non-issue. You can argue spinners, but then I can argue spin blockers. You can argue Magic Bounce users, but then I can argue Pokemon like Terrakion who can set up Stealth Rock and scare Espeon and Xatu from switching in. And Roost isn't a dumb option, lol. It's one of the better and more common moves on Kyurem-B, especially taking into account Kyurem-B combination of offense and bulk.

    Impact on the metagame
    I can judge by your post that you use offensive teams. And to be honest I agree with you on the usage part. To quote PO: Kyurem-B (2.91 %). It's on the 58th spot. So yes, Kyurem-B lacks against (hyper)offensive teams (which dominate atm). So I understand that you plea that it has made no impact. But, there is a but: it does have made a HUGE impact on the metagame itself. Why? I tell you why. Bulky teams and stall teams have lost their ground partly thanks to Kyurem-B (the others being Terrakion, Volcarona, Tornadus-T and the now banned Genesect). Adding Kyurem-B is a death sentence to bulky/stall teams because Kyurem-B has only ONE counter. Even Skarmory can not wall Kyurem-B. And if that doesn't impress you, then I would not know what does. The addition of Kyurem-B has lead to the fact that (hyper) offense is the only way to be victorious in this broken metagame.
    Kyurem-B has had very little impact on the metagame at all. This entire argument seemed to based on the premise that stall was a great playstyle before its introduction. It wasn't. Pokemon like Terrakion, Tornadus-T, and Keldeo have done more damage to the usage of stall than Kyurem-B by a long shot. Kyurem-B hasn't even been used much at all since its drop, sitting at a low 5% usage during the last month. I don't think I've ever seen an Uber fall to OU and get such low usage immediately after its drop. Balanced and offense playstyles have been the primary team archetypes for a very long time, long before Kyurem-B was even a thing, and that hasn't changed. Considering that the best counter to Kyurem-B is also the most common stall Pokemon in the entire metagame, it's unlikely that Kyurem-B was such a huge hindrance to stall.

    But then I ask you this, why would we even let Kyurem-B back to OU when it does not have an 'impact' at all when you're facing (hyper)offense, but it utterly destroys the usability of bulky/stall teams? Kyurem-B does not 'add' anything to the metagame, it only removes things. And by this the diversity of the metagame will narrow, which is never a good thing IMO. So they should ban Kyurem-B again for the sake of diversity.
    Kyurem-B was unbanned because there's no reason to ban what isn't broken. When Kyurem-B's forms were released, they were instantly sent to Ubers for fear of what they could do, but we never game them a chance. Enough people made an argument to test it, and so we did. After many OU players spent a few weeks testing Kyurem-B, they voted overwhelmingly to unban Kyurem-B (about 69% unban with only about 26% ban).

    But where exactly is the evidence that Kyurem-B is making any significant negative impact on diversity? November was Kyurem-B's first full month in OU, and during that time period there were 55 Pokemon over the OU usage cutoff. The month before, there were also 55 Pokemon over the usage cutoff. Going a little further down, there were 69 Pokemon over 2% usage (at least one in every 50 teams) in November, while in October there were only 66. I'm not really seeing anything from the stats that would indicate the Kyurem-B is hurting the usage of anything. Not like Genesect, which was proven to have crippled the usage of Pokemon like Tornadus-T and Keldeo when we tried a suspect test with a Genesect-free OU and the aforementioned Pokemon jumped to the top of the usage stats.

  18. #1218
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    The concept of "counter everything" died a long time ago. Several Pokemon in OU don't have any counters, so the fact that Kyurem-B has any counters in OU (and you can actually add Forretress to that list, since Kyurem-B without HP Fire can't even guarantee a 3HKO) is actually an argument against its ban. OU today is all about checks, not counters. As long as you can keep something in check, that's usually all you can ask for.
    Sadly it is. I don't know about you, but a metagame where even Garchomp is suitable (even Rough Skin) is a metagame where that we all should revise and rethink if things may not have gone out of hand at some point.

    But you are right about Forretress, thanks for that one. Altho its too bad that I'd have to waste a moveslot just so I can fit in Gyroball. But I do whatever it takes to adapt.

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Not to mention that having STAB Outrage isn't exactly a great advantage. Outrage is one of the worst moves in the metagame right now. Unless you're positive that you're at the point where you can sweep with it, using Outrage will put your Dragon at the risk of being killed right after since you can't switch out. If you try to run Dragon Claw to make up for that, then you're using a pretty weak STAB move. In fact, Adamant Kyurem-B's Outrage is significantly weaker than Jolly Terrakion's Close Combat, just to illustrate the power difference.
    Outrage is THE MOST powerful move in the entire game. Coming off the highest attack stat in OU and getting STAB is just too good to whisk away that easily.

    But I like your comparison, maybe you could've seen from my post but I guess you didn't. So I'll tell you that I'm not a big fan of Terakion in OU. Yes Terrakion wrecks and it has the 2nd most powerful move in the entire game in its arsenal. I also figured out that you love Terakion so I understand that you don't want to see it banned, but Terakion has no real OU viable counters. Gliscor is more of a check when you look to the fact that a Swords Dance after a switch in is unstoppable so Gliscor does not qualify. However it is a decent check.

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Looks to me like Scizor and Breloom can guarantee a OHKO after Stealth Rock. I'd say that makes them both excellent checks, so yes, Kyurem-B does get destroyed by the most common priority in OU.
    I never said that they weren't checks. And yes they are decent checks for Kyurem-B can't argue with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Just because it's possible to remove Stealth Rock doesn't make it a non-issue. You can argue spinners, but then I can argue spin blockers. You can argue Magic Bounce users, but then I can argue Pokemon like Terrakion who can set up Stealth Rock and scare Espeon and Xatu from switching in. And Roost isn't a dumb option, lol. It's one of the better and more common moves on Kyurem-B, especially taking into account Kyurem-B combination of offense and bulk.
    Yes SR is not a non-issue but I have the feeling that people always assume that SR will be on the field when facing a pokemon. And I would've agreed with you if it was a given but it isn't. So the argument of SR should be used in proportion.

    And spinblockers are as good as non-existant. The only reliable blocker there is in OU is Jellicent and Jellicent will lose to one of the most common spinners aka Starmie. Spinning is so much easier now then it was back in gen 4. But we could go on and on forever on SR. And I believe that SR is overrated as a defence mechanism against pokemon.

    And no, Roost is really dumb on Kyurem-B. It trades in too much coverage for an healing move. It’s stats are reasonable, they seem bulky. But Ice is such an awful defensive typing, Dragon typing is reasonable but unfortunately and ironically weak to Dragon so that’s not an ideal defensive typing either.

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Kyurem-B has had very little impact on the metagame at all. This entire argument seemed to based on the premise that stall was a great playstyle before its introduction. It wasn't. Pokemon like Terrakion, Tornadus-T, and Keldeo have done more damage to the usage of stall than Kyurem-B by a long shot.
    This is the part where I may have been unclear due to my focus on Kyurem-B. I was ranting about the foolish decision because Kyurem-B is literally the icing on the cake when it comes to killing stall or even bulky playstyles in the current metagame.

    Yes Terrakion and Tornadus-T have killed stall for sure. I've already explained a little bit about Terrakion but I don't want to go FLAME ON in that case. Tornadus-T has none due to the fact of its sheer power combined with confusion damage that could kill of a specially defensive Jirachi for instance (yes I'm speaking from experience :c).

    Volcarona is also right up this alley since she has counters depending on the movesets/hidden power. Which basically means that she has no counters since that sentence was contradictive.

    I'm not sure about Keldeo since it has counters and isn't as overpowered as the rest. But I agree with you that Secret Sword (and Psyshock) have put a nice dent into stall teams.

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Kyurem-B was unbanned because there's no reason to ban what isn't broken. When Kyurem-B's forms were released, they were instantly sent to Ubers for fear of what they could do, but we never game them a chance. Enough people made an argument to test it, and so we did. After many OU players spent a few weeks testing Kyurem-B, they voted overwhelmingly to unban Kyurem-B (about 69% unban with only about 26% ban)..
    I agree with you that everyone should've been given a chance, I just don't agree with the final decision. That it was voted overwhelmingly does not change the fact that it is a decision that was not been thought through properly.

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    But where exactly is the evidence that Kyurem-B is making any significant negative impact on diversity? November was Kyurem-B's first full month in OU, and during that time period there were 55 Pokemon over the OU usage cutoff. The month before, there were also 55 Pokemon over the usage cutoff. Going a little further down, there were 69 Pokemon over 2% usage (at least one in every 50 teams) in November, while in October there were only 66. I'm not really seeing anything from the stats that would indicate the Kyurem-B is hurting the usage of anything. Not like Genesect, which was proven to have crippled the usage of Pokemon like Tornadus-T and Keldeo when we tried a suspect test with a Genesect-free OU and the aforementioned Pokemon jumped to the top of the usage stats.
    As I explained earlier, Kyurem-B is the icing on the cake. A broken cake for that matter. The stats of November are irrelevant since stall was long gone thanks to Terrakion&Co. So by diversity I meant that stall is not viable anymore thanks to all these overpowered pokemon. Bringing back Kyurem-B was just a kick when you're already done.

    IMO Kyurem-B does not add any surplus value to this metagame, but it almost makes 100% sure that stall is not viable anymore. Stall is a part of the diversity of teams, and when its gone, so is the diversity. That's why I wondered why you would add a pokemon who doesn't have an impact on offensive teams while it murders the already dead stall teams of this competitive environment.

    My point is that this metagame was already broken, and they should not have even tested Kyurem-B in OU as long as Terrakion, Torn-T and Volcarona are around.

    The worst thing is tho, I know for sure that Kyurem-B will not be banned again as long as this generation lasts since the tiering council is just too proud to agree that they have made a mistake, let alone that they even see that keeping these OP pokemon isn't right. In the end, I still lose.

  19. #1219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyFriedTorchic View Post
    Sadly it is. I don't know about you, but a metagame where even Garchomp is suitable (even Rough Skin) is a metagame where that we all should revise and rethink if things may not have gone out of hand at some point.
    We can't always approach 5th Gen bans with a 4th Gen mindset. I've heard plenty of people say that some Pokemon like Volcarona, Dragonite, Terrakion, etc. should be banned for the same criteria that we banned Pokemon in 4th Gen, but we also have to deal with the fact that the power creep we see now is the 5th Gen metagame. In order to lower the power level to what it was before, we'd have to go overboard with bans left and right. However, unless one of those Pokemon actually breaks the metagame, there's little reason to ban it. Like Kyurem-B, Garchomp went through a suspect test and it was decided that it was not broken. Does it still have few counters? Yes, but without Sand Veil to hax wins, very few people actually found it to easily sweep through teams like it used to.

    Outrage is THE MOST powerful move in the entire game. Coming off the highest attack stat in OU and getting STAB is just too good to whisk away that easily.
    There are plenty of moves just as powerful as Outrage, such as Close Combat, Fire Blast, Hurricane, Thunder, Blizzard, Hydro Pump, Solarbeam, Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Focus Blast, Power Whip, Superpower, and Megahorn, and several moves even more powerful like Hi Jump Kick, Draco Meteor, Overheat, V-Create, Bolt Strike, Blue Flare, Psycho Boost, Leaf Storm, Focus Punch, Explosion, and Eruption. Now, you could make an argument for the fact that Kyurem-B's Atk stat is so massive, but Victini's V-Create hits harder than Kyurem-B's Outrage even before Sun is taken into account. If Sun is up, it's not even close.

    So I'll tell you that I'm not a big fan of Terakion in OU. Yes Terrakion wrecks and it has the 2nd most powerful move in the entire game in its arsenal. I also figured out that you love Terakion so I understand that you don't want to see it banned, but Terakion has no real OU viable counters. Gliscor is more of a check when you look to the fact that a Swords Dance after a switch in is unstoppable so Gliscor does not qualify. However it is a decent check.
    It's true that I love Terrakion, but that doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't want it banned. Blaziken is by far my favorite Pokemon, yet I was one of the biggest proponents for its ban. I would be perfectly fine with banning Terrakion if it were broken, but there's a reason that Terrakion has never been suspected even once: most of the metagame checks it. Last time I counted, somewhere around 45 or more of the 55 Pokemon in OU hit Terrakion super effectively with at least one move they commonly carry. Terrakion's many weaknesses mean that it's often reliant on forcing switches just to get a safe setup, and if you mispredict and the opponent doesn't switch out (or if you mispredict and choose the wrong coverage move), then you might very well lose your Terrakion. Like Kyurem-B, it's also weak to the most common priority attacks in OU, so even the Rock Polish variant (which outspeeds every Scarfer within reason) is at risk.

    Yes SR is not a non-issue but I have the feeling that people always assume that SR will be on the field when facing a pokemon. And I would've agreed with you if it was a given but it isn't. So the argument of SR should be used in proportion.
    The reason people use SR as an argument is that it's the single most influential move in the game, and it's very much a commonplace in OU. Few teams in OU don't carry it somewhere, and so you're almost always going to be at risk of SR. It's not quite like saying "Pokemon X dies to Z attack after SR and 3 layers of Spikes", but instead you're talking about a very common factor in OU battles. With something so insanely common, coupled by the fact that you won't always be able to spin before bringing Kyurem-B in, you should really take it into account with things like this.

    And spinblockers are as good as non-existant. The only reliable blocker there is in OU is Jellicent and Jellicent will lose to one of the most common spinners aka Starmie. Spinning is so much easier now then it was back in gen 4. But we could go on and on forever on SR. And I believe that SR is overrated as a defence mechanism against pokemon.
    Specially defensive Jellicent (currently the most common variant) avoids a 2HKO from everything Starmie commonly carries besides a LO Thunder. The only spinner I can think of that beats Jellicent pretty easily is SubToxic Tentacruel. SubDisable Gengar can also take on all spinners besides Starmie (and the occasional spinning Cloyster) as long as you predict properly. In fact, it's pretty much the most common spin blocker used with Deoxys-D due to the offensive nature of it.

    And no, Roost is really dumb on Kyurem-B. It trades in too much coverage for an healing move. It’s stats are reasonable, they seem bulky. But Ice is such an awful defensive typing, Dragon typing is reasonable but unfortunately and ironically weak to Dragon so that’s not an ideal defensive typing either.
    Roost is one of the main moves that Kyurem was looking forward to in BW2, and it's great for it. Kyurem-B's 125/100/90 are amazing for an offensive Pokemon, and even great for a defensive Pokemon. While its weaknesses are enough to make it extremely easy to keep in check, it also has several good resistances to Water, Grass, and Electric attacks. This gives it plenty of opportunities to switch in and get at least one turn to heal up, recovering off SR, Spikes, Life Orb, or whatever other damage. It also works well with Substitute for stalling out certain would-be threats (although Kyurem pulls this off somewhat better due to pressure).

    It's not like that moveslot is needed for much else. Fusion Bolt synergizes extremely well with your Dragon STAB and covers almost everything of note, as do Earth Power, Focus Blast, and HP Fire. Even if you wanted to run an Ice STAB alongside that, there's still a free moveslot that can be used for Roost.

    This is the part where I may have been unclear due to my focus on Kyurem-B. I was ranting about the foolish decision because Kyurem-B is literally the icing on the cake when it comes to killing stall or even bulky playstyles in the current metagame.
    I'd argue, though, that Kyurem-B didn't have any effect whatsoever in the usage of stall. As I mentioned earlier, the most common bulky wall Pokemon in OU is Ferrothorn, who gets more usage than the entire stall playstyle itself. There are also Pokemon like Forretress and certain variants of Jirachi that can keep Kyurem-B in check (or maybe even fully counter it) and fit perfectly well on stall teams. Stall naturally has to deal with Dragons, and almost every Pokemon that could be used to beat other Dragons can be used against Kyurem-B.

    Yes Terrakion and Tornadus-T have killed stall for sure. I've already explained a little bit about Terrakion but I don't want to go FLAME ON in that case. Tornadus-T has none due to the fact of its sheer power combined with confusion damage that could kill of a specially defensive Jirachi for instance (yes I'm speaking from experience :c).
    To be fair, you'd have to have really terrible luck for your specially defensive Jirachi to lose to a Tornadus-T due to Confusion hax. LO Hurricane can't even scratch 25% damage, which is a 6HKO at best factoring in Leftovers.

    I'm not sure about Keldeo since it has counters and isn't as overpowered as the rest. But I agree with you that Secret Sword (and Psyshock) have put a nice dent into stall teams.
    SubCM Keldeo is one of the most dangerous new threats to stall teams out there. Even Amoonguss, one of the most solid answers to Keldeo out there, has to run a bit of SpA investment to guarantee that it'll beat SubCM Keldeo.

    I agree with you that everyone should've been given a chance, I just don't agree with the final decision. That it was voted overwhelmingly does not change the fact that it is a decision that was not been thought through properly.
    Kyurem-B went through an entire suspect process just like any other suspect with hundreds of players participating and many gaining the voting requirements. This wasn't just a decision made over IRC. It involved weeks of discussion and gameplay experience before the decision was made. It's hard to say that a decision wasn't thought out properly when it was put through such an extensive process, and to make matters worse, the vote wasn't even close.

    As I explained earlier, Kyurem-B is the icing on the cake. A broken cake for that matter. The stats of November are irrelevant since stall was long gone thanks to Terrakion&Co. So by diversity I meant that stall is not viable anymore thanks to all these overpowered pokemon. Bringing back Kyurem-B was just a kick when you're already done.
    Well, if that's the case, then it isn't Kyurem-B that has damaged the metagame. In fact, we can't really tell just how Kyurem-B has affected stall because of the surplus of threats to stall already existent in OU. For all we know, if you were to remove Pokemon like Terrakion and Keldeo, stall might flourish regardless of Kyurem-B's existence.

    IMO Kyurem-B does not add any surplus value to this metagame, but it almost makes 100% sure that stall is not viable anymore. Stall is a part of the diversity of teams, and when its gone, so is the diversity. That's why I wondered why you would add a pokemon who doesn't have an impact on offensive teams while it murders the already dead stall teams of this competitive environment.
    One thing I need to clarify is that I don't think stall is completely unviable. Several users have made decent stall teams even after BW2, but it's just difficult enough that it's not really worth the trouble for many players.

    But this does bring up another question: where in the ban policy does it state that we should go for a metagame where all playstyles are equally viable? We ban what is broken and unban what isn't, and if the offensive metagame that we're in now is such that these threats to stall do not break the metagame in general then we do not ban them. BW2 OU is offensive-based just like GSC OU was stall-based, and it's just something you have to get used to.

    The worst thing is tho, I know for sure that Kyurem-B will not be banned again as long as this generation lasts since the tiering council is just too proud to agree that they have made a mistake, let alone that they even see that keeping these OP pokemon isn't right. In the end, I still lose.
    The OU council didn't have much of anything to do with this one. By the time Kyurem-B's suspect test came back around, Smogon had gone back to the full suspect tests with community voting and everything. Even if they did, it's not like Smogon is a stranger to revisiting suspects. Excadrill, Thundurus, and Deoxys-S were all suspected at the same time as Blaziken, but they were all voted "not broken". They were later suspected again and banned. RU is also doing another suspect test for Nidoqueen and Cresselia, both of which were recently voted "not broken". If Kyurem-B starts becoming a problem, you can be sure that they'll visit it as a suspect again.

  20. #1220
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Battle Frontier isn't in ORAS
    Posts
    6,757

    Default

    It looks like Genesect may be getting a brand new in the form of ExtremeSpeed, any thoughts on this?


  21. #1221
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Santos, San Andreas
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by your boss View Post
    It looks like Genesect may be getting a brand new in the form of ExtremeSpeed, any thoughts on this?
    For the meta, just another reason to band genesect or something. It would also make it a beautiful revenge killer in ubers.

  22. #1222
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dewhinifier View Post
    For the meta, just another reason to band genesect or something. It would also make it a beautiful revenge killer in ubers.
    Perhaps, but doesn't Arceus get Extreme Speed STABed for revenge killing?

    The only advantage I see for using Genesect over Arceus is U-turn...though I guess that may be because I don't play Ubers.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

  23. #1223
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Perhaps, but doesn't Arceus get Extreme Speed STABed for revenge killing?
    About that...
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  24. #1224
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    303

    Default Sleeping clause

    Be Aware this post is concerning the sleeping clause and as to why their should be exceptions to it.


    Recently my venomoth and i had our gonads kicked due to the discovery of the sleeping clause.

    Obviously the prominent threat of a "juiced" up smeargle being able to pass that power onto other pokes is deemed to dangerous to be legal.
    Though within the research that i have discovered the sleeping clause is only really active because of smeargle and its baton pass compatible moveset.

    In other situations the "sleeping clause" somewhat limits and incapacitates certain Pokemon from being able to compete on a competitive level with other pokemon way beyond its tier. Like butterfree,venomoth and yanmega whom could potentially put a few pokemon to sleep and level the playing field.

    For example as a purely bug-type trainer, i use a venomoth, which is currently situated within the Borderline 2 (BL2) tier.
    Now before i was aware of the sleeping clause, i was using venomoth on a constant basis within OU battles. My moveset on my timid venomoth is, sleep powder, sludge bomb, bug buzz and roost with the item wide lens.

    Though now I'm well aware of the sleeping clause and that many of the situations that my venomoth and I created for my
    opponent would have been deemed illegal and I'm forced to no longer "double sleep powder" with my venomoth.

    I can understand the situations where smeargle could be deemed as Un-fair, Un-just and even cheap. Situations were smeargle has spored/sleep powdered a pokemon and that pokemon switches out, though the next pokemon switching in then becomes spored/sleep powdered again and smeargle then begins to power up at an obscene rate and could even pass that power along.

    But.. It seems like the sleeping clause is purely created to prevent this and or smiler scenarios purely with smeargle. Because i have no come across one example to suggest otherwise.

    Now, within my current knowledge their are at least 126 different pokemon whom can use one of : Sleep powder, spore, grass whistle, sing and hypnosis.
    However, of the 126 different pokemon that can use one of these 5 sleeping moves, only 23 of them can use one of these moves and baton pass at the same time. These are the 23 different pokemon that can learn one of these 5 sleeping moves and batton pass at the same time.

    Hypnosis, Accuracy of 60%:
    • Mr mime, Mew, spinda, Lunatone (from Gale of darkness game), Patrat, Watchog, Munna, Musharana,, Rapidash ( from gale of darkness game), Drifloon, drifblim, Mime Jr .


    Spore, Accuracy of 100%
    • smeargle...


    Sleep Powder,Accuracy of 75%
    • venonat, venomoth ='(



    GrassWhistle, Accuracy of 55%
    • Sewaddle, Swadloon, Leavany, Deerling


    Sing, Accuracy of 55%
    • Skitty, Delcatty, Plusle,Minun


    With this information its clear that the reality and likelihood of pulling of a "sleeping, powering up,batton pass" move set on any pokemon other than smeargle is dismal.


    Now if you look over the provided information, it's evident that my main example and reasoning behind this post, venomoth, is able to apply a similar "Smeargle" like moveset to itself. Because of its ability to learn baton pass. Which I'm quite frankly appalled by
    Though this is not a realistic situation because even if it were to happen, a sleep powder with 80% accuracy does tend to miss a lot. Even if a venomoth were to have a "smeargle" like move set with wide lens, it would be helpless because it can't hold focus slash and its at the mercy of the many moves that could easily k0 it. Which greatly diminishes the likelihood of venomoth being able to cause the threat and or immoral decision that Smeargle with a spore, power up and baton pass set creates.

    Now if your still with me lol, I'm suggesting that an exception be created for some pokemon like venomoth,yanmega or even politoad. Because the chances of any pokemon other than smeargle pulling of the move-set and or plays that the sleeping clause was intended to prevent, are zero.
    Bug-Type Represent !
    I am the Big Bad moth, if you want some, come get some..

  25. #1225

    Default

    Besides the fact that there's no way we're going to implement an exception for Sleep Clause just to be "nicer" to certain Pokemon, your proposal is based off of a false premise. Sleep Clause wasn't implemented because of Smeargle. It was implemented because of the nature of the sleep status. Sleep incapacitates a Pokemon for several turns at times, and it can almost be an effective KO due to the sleep timer being reset every time a Pokemon leaves the field as of 5th Gen. If you were allowed to put as many Pokemon to sleep at one time as you could, you might completely shut down the opponent's team with no effort. Smeargle is hardly the biggest reason for this; I'd be far more afraid of Breloom and Venomoth if there were no Sleep Clause. With Venomoth, if you could find just one opportunity to put something to sleep and guarantee at least one free turn, it might be "game over" right there. All you'd have to do is start setting up Quiver Dance while your opponent frantically switches around, and you'd just put whatever they brought out to sleep again. And just think of how dangerous a Pokemon like Breloom would be if it could just put whatever was in front of it to sleep with no consequence before setting up SDs and spamming Technician boosted Mach Punches and Bullet Seeds.

    Removing Sleep Clause (even just for some Pokemon) wouldn't be helping some Pokemon's viability, you would just be breaking an already powerful status condition.

Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •