Thread: What's This Here? A 5th Generation RMT

Default What's This Here? A 5th Generation RMT

A brief introduction: This team is quite...Unpredictable to say the least. With at least one pokemon that people will automatically dismiss as useless and incompatible with the OU metagame. But I look beyond this, and see the TRUE ability of the pokemon(s).
    The team: Tsubeaa Doryuuzu Rankurusu Roopushin Iwaparesu And, the coupe de grace Shanderaa

Strange at first glance, no? Well, let's get a bit of a better look, shall we?
    The Ultimate Anti-Lead, Tsunbeaa.

Tsubeaa
    Adamant @ Choice Band
    Snow Cloak. (Not that it matters much, considering I am not running a hail team.)
    252 Attack; 124 Defense; 124 Special Defense; 8 Hit Points.
    Avalanche
    Night Slash
    Super Power
    Stone Edge
    When I originally thought of this set, I was wary about testing it. But, much to my surprise, Tsunbeaa has guaranteed me at least one kill per match, and, to be honest, he would seem to be the most efficient member of my team. Avalanche helps deal with the slew of new dragons, Night Slash deals with mis-predicting Azelf leads, Super Power deals with threats such as Tyranitar, and Stone Edge helps against flying types. (Which we have gotten a plethora of this generation, and most of them are quite popular from my experience.) Now, the 252 Attack EVs are the easiest to comprehend, and the most obvious. But, why the 124 split in the defenses? Well, those coupled with the eight HP allow him to survive more then one may expect. Since I have not been able to find an efficient damage calculator (I was expecting smogon to have one, yet I could not find it) these are done from personal experiences. I'm also just going to assume that these were low RNG'd, but, it is quite possible, for a Tsunbeaa to be 3HKO'd by a ScarfRachi Fire Punch. (With no Stealth Rock damage, that is.) Now, while I can't verify that this person was running THE EXACT ScarfRachi set, he was definitely running one that was almost identical. I was expecting an OHKO, but, much to my surprise (and jubilations) the Jirachi's Fire Punch only dealt 49% damage, so, while highly unlikely, Tsunbeaa (with no stat boosts, or SR damage) can be 3HKO'd by a ScarfRachi. Sounds pretty good, now doesn't it? Now, when I say "mis-predicting" Azelf leads, I am referring to ones that foresee a Claw Sharpen or Bulk Up, and taunt. While the Azelf will survive thanks to Focus Sash, I will have a MASSIVE advantage over it. It would be reasonable to believe that the next turn it would either: A.) You Flamethrower or B.) Explode. Now, I just so happen to have a pokemon that is benefited by one of these options, and, indifferent to the other, but will be hearing about him later.

The Great Killing Machine, Doryuuzu.

Doryuuzu
    Adamant @ Choice Band
    Mold Breaker ability. (Dream World)
    252 Attack; 252 Speed; 4 Defense
    Shadow Claw
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake
    X-Scissor
    We are all familiar with Doryuuzu, he has quite a reputation as a sweeper. Doryuuzu can reach an astronomically high attack, coupled with choice band, and you have one mole who can take on the world. The main issue with this set, is, other Doryuuzus, while I opted for Mold Breaker, most have chosen the ability that doubles his speed in a sandstorm. So, situations like this happen quite frequently: Opponent sent out Tyranitar!! Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm. Opponent switched to Doryuuzu!! You switched to Doryuuzu. (By the way, my pokemon are nickname, for the sake of this RMT, I chose not to say the names.) Opponent's Doryuuzu used Earthquake!! It's super effective!! And thus ends my Doryuuzu. But, what are the advantages to a Mold Breaker Doryuuzu? Well, for one, he can destroy some major threats that would otherwise not be OHKO'd by Rock Slide. Doryuuzu, quite unexpectedly, benefits my team the least. But, he still lands a spot on it for nabbing some essential KOs.

The Bulky Calm-Mind Sweeper, Rankurusu

Rankurusu
    Modest@Leftovers
    Magic Guard ability
    252 special attack; 200 Defense; 56 Defense
    Calm Mind
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Psychic
    Rankurusu is an extremely valuable part of my team. You see, a majority of people I've encountered, have underestimated his sheer power and defensive capabilities. Despite being U-Turn weak, Rankurusu can still decimate teams. After two Calm Minds (Which can be set up more easily then one would think, thanks to his incredible bulk.) he can rip through major threats as if they were paper. That isn't to say he isn't without his disadvantages, with the popularity of the unpredictable Zoruak, it can be difficult to survive. But, if you can, you have most likely guarenteed one kill. Here are just two examples of what it can do.
    A +2 Focus Blast OHKOs Nattorei.
    A +2 Shadow Ball 2HKOs a bulky Tangrowth.
    That's right, a 2HKO, with no STAB and no Super-Effective.

That-Pokemon-I-Can't-Think-Of-A-Title-For, Roopushin.

Adamant @ Life Orb
    Guts Ability
    252 Attack; 124 Special Defense; 124 HP; 8 Defesne
    Rock Slide
    Mach Punch
    Bulk Up
    Hammer Arm
    Roopushin is an all-around outstanding pokemon. He has an impressive HP, which I thought would make him the ultimate candidate for Life Orb. In a way that is reminiscent of Rankurusu, he can usually get up two of his stat boosting move, but I wouldn't even consider it necessary to use those Bulk Ups. Mach Punch is an excellent choice with this set, because he may be left with scarce amounts of HP after setting up his stat boosting move X 2, so, the logical thing to do in this situation is out-speed them. How? Mach Punch. He deals wit a number of threats, including omnipotent Doryuuzu. I would highly recommend Roopushin for any competitive team that is in need of a fighting type. But, I digress. Roopushin is more-than capable of taking hits, and dealing them back, and that is why, he garnered a spot on my team.

The Tank, Iwaparesu.

Sassy@Leftovers
    Sturdy Ability (Which is incredibly useful, thanks to it's boost this generation.)
    252 Defense; 252 Special Defense;4 HP
    Toxic
    Rest
    Block
    X-Scissor
    Despite his HP, which may be considered pitiful on a tank, he serves his function. By blocking on a pokemon who he resists, he can toxic, X-Scissor, and then, when he begins running low on HP, rest. It really is difficult to summarize all of his capabilities...The best way I can put this is, he is an improvement on Shuckle. Which really isn't a very well-thought out summary, but, that is all their is to say about him.

The Surprise Special Attacker, Shanderaa.

Modest@Leftovers
    Flash Fire Ability
    252 Special Attack;124 Defense; 124 Special Defense; 8 Speed
    Calm Mind
    Shadow Ball
    Over Heat
    Fire Blast
    Shanderaa, a pokemon that has unanimously become known as a Shadow Tag revenge killer, finds a place on my team, but, what is this? NO SHADOW TAG?!! Some may call this absurd, even, laughable, but, when the Flash Fire boost is almost guaranteed, you just can't resist it's allure. Shanderaa serves an extremely important role in my team, he is the pokemon I made mention to when going in-depth on Tsunbeaa, indifferent to explosion, and benefited from flamethrower. We all know of the staggering special attack stat of Shanderaa, but, when we obtain the Flash Fire boost, a Overheat can OHKO nearly anything that doesn't resist it. The EV spread may seem a little bizarre, but, I decided upon a "bulky" shanderaa. This set is capable of switching in on a fire move, obtaining the Flash Fire Boost, and setting up 1-2 Calm Minds, allowing for a sweep. Flash Fire Shanderaa has been the downfall of many team I've encountered, due to them believing it to be Shadow Tag. So, I think that with this information, we can conclude that Flash Fire Shanderaa is still an extremely functional pokemon.

So, there you have it. Criticism is appreciated. Please alert me to the fact that a <insert pokemon here> could utterly destroy my team.
    Last edited by boota212; 5th October 2010 at 8:49 PM.
    R.I.P. Pseudos Legend Clan. We lost you 10/10/10.

36 EVs + Jolly on your Tsunbear lets it actually outrun Tyranitar giving it a bit more merit.

Drill Liner + EQ on Doryuuzu seems very redundant, replace it with Shadow Claw or just drop CB and give it SD.

why would you not be Psychicing Tangrowth instead of Shadow Balling it? who uses Tangrowth? get better calculations. i personally don't like Rankurusu so i may be biased but it's not a great argument

i don't see your Iwaparesu doing much at all, considering something that can't hit it with a super-effective move is going to switch out... but then again there are some retarded players so you do what you want.

Overheat on CM Shandera is stupid, FB is only 30 BP lower and wasting time CMing again after you lose your stat boosts is something Shandera can't afford

anything with a strong Earthquake (Doryuuzu, Randorosu, Garchomp, probably even Ononokusu despite its lack of STAB) is going to destroy you due to your lack of immunities. get a bulky flying type like Gyara or a Levitator or something, which i'd probably replace Iwaparesu with

<-----

Quote Originally Posted by :wub:disc View Post
    36 EVs + Jolly on your Tsunbear lets it actually outrun Tyranitar giving it a bit more merit.

Drill Liner + EQ on Doryuuzu seems very redundant, replace it with Shadow Claw or just drop CB and give it SD.

why would you not be Psychicing Tangrowth instead of Shadow Balling it? who uses Tangrowth? get better calculations. i personally don't like Rankurusu so i may be biased but it's not a great argument

i don't see your Iwaparesu doing much at all, considering something that can't hit it with a super-effective move is going to switch out... but then again there are some retarded players so you do what you want.

Overheat on CM Shandera is stupid, FB is only 30 BP lower and wasting time CMing again after you lose your stat boosts is something Shandera can't afford

anything with a strong Earthquake (Doryuuzu, Randorosu, Garchomp, probably even Ononokusu despite its lack of STAB) is going to destroy you due to your lack of immunities. get a bulky flying type like Gyara or a Levitator or something, which i'd probably replace Iwaparesu with

Shadow Claw over Drill Liner on Doryuuzu does certainly seem like a better idea. =/ =/ I'll be sure to fix that.

The Tangrowth things is quite a long story, but rest assured, their is a reason for using shadow ball. I've encountered more Tangrowths then usual actually, or maybe I just keep battling the same people an abnormal amount of times without realizing it. And like I said, I would be happier than you can imagine if I had more sound calculations, I've just been having a few issues recently, and will try to get them as soon as possible. While Calm Mind + Overheat is illogical, thirty 30 BP can make quite a bit of diffrence. While I did have a fear of Earthquake when it came to this team, they actually fair quite well. But you are correct, it is possible for one of those pokemon to annihilate this team, but, they haven't been an issue thus far.

When it comes to Iwaparesu, I'm in quite the predicament. While I understand what you are saying, he still fills his niche quite well. Though he may be replaced sometime in the future with a levitator if Earthquake proves to be an issue.
    R.I.P. Pseudos Legend Clan. We lost you 10/10/10.

Starmie or pretty much any STAB water could take out 1/2 the team with nothing to really put a stop to it....
    I personally would've used Nattorei over Iwaparesu. More bulk, and covers more weaknesses (including water). plus, access to stealth rock, spikes, leech seed, explosion and gyro ball is always nice..