Thread: Cook 'Em Up, Man!

Default Cook 'Em Up, Man!

Hey, Serebii.net Gen. V RMT forum! I've got a stall team here for the infant BW metagame. There are some old faces and gen. IV stall staples here along with some new guys that are making stall even more fun with the addition of 81 new fully-evolved Pokemon and numerous new Dream World abilities oh my god so overwhelming!

Quick Metagame Analysis
    There is simply no way to be prepared for every threat in the metagame. This was the case in DPPHGSS and it's even more true now. A cohesive team strategy is really the only thing you can count on in a metagame as varied as this.

Stall is good. A well-built stall team based around solid resistances can still hold its own against the new mighty attackers, Doryuzzu, Sazando, etc., but it must be smart, because things are hitting harder and a lot of the hardest-hitting things aren't banned (yet).

Offense has a ton of new toys to play with. Sand-offense is one of the biggest threats in the metagame right now, almost completely due to the outrageousness of Doryuzzu. About all the new Dragon-types are being held at bay by ScarfChomp, which is unfortunate. I can't wait until it gets banned again.

Overall, I'd say offense is getting the edge over stall, if only because there are a lot of unbanned gen. IV offensivemons running around with the new 140+ attackers. But that doesn't mean stall can't still be effective! It's quite a force to be reckoned with if you play smart.

COOK 'EM UP, MAN!

Spoiler:- Team Building:
    In Detail

Swampert @ Leftovers
    Type: Water / Ground
    Ability: Torrent
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Final Stats: 404 / 257 / 306 / 206 / 216 / 140

Stealth Rock
    Earthquake
    Ice Beam
    Roar

Swampert is still one of the most reliable leads in the metagame. That's the good news. The bad news is that the lead metagame has radically shifted. Mischievous Heart and Magic Mirror are plaguing the mindless first-turn Stealth Rockers and making quite a mess of things, so Swampert doesn't always get a chance to set up right away, which is frustrating. Pert is, however, quite a sturdy fellow and can come in to set up later. I use the standard MixPert lead, which helps against opposing Borutorosu leads and for all the other reasons it's always been used. Swampert lays down crucial Stealth Rocks, Phazes, and offers valuable type synergy for my other stallmons. Despite Darkrai (seriously ban that thing already; nothing's going to change enough to make it OU), I prefer Leftovers to Lum Berry, as I have two sleep absorbers and Swampert loves the recovery, especially if it can switch into something that Nattorei or Erufuun have Leech Seeded already.

Nattorei @ Shed Shell
    Type: Grass / Steel
    Ability: Steel Thorns
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
    Final Stats: 352 / 224 / 320 / 129 / 341 / 76

Leech Seed
    Protect
    Spikes
    Power Whip

Oh boy do I love this guy. If it had Rapid Spin, it would be top dog on all stall teams, bar none. In any case, Nattorei has just the right tools to do its job and teams up with Burungeru expertly. Spikes round out this team's entry hazard layers, making Gyarados's and Heatran's jobs much easier, while Leech Seed and Protect help it heal while it lays more layers or lays down Power Whips from its respectable Attack stat. I really, really like having Protect on Nattorei, as it helps scout the Choice users that like switching in on it, like CB Scizor threatening Superpower or Sazandora threatening Fire Blast. For the item, I really had no choice but to give it Shed Shell, what with Shanderaa running amok and potentially taking out a very crucial member of my team without me getting what I need out of it.

Burungeru @ Leftovers
    Type: Water / Ghost
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD
    Final Stats: 404 / 140 / 255 / 206 / 255 / 156

Recover
    Will-O-Wisp
    Surf
    Shadow Ball

Burungeru is the premier Spinblocker of gen. V. Excellent typing and stats, beautiful movepool, and Recover make it able to survive things like +2 Doryuuzu's Earthquake and burn it or just KO it with Surf. Boiling Water was an option, but I think there are definitely enough instances where I absolutely need the burn to hit (read: Tyranitar) to make Will-O-Wisp the better option along with the higher-BP Surf. W-o-W also makes Forretress's Payback worthlessly non-threatening. Shadow Ball is good for Shanderaa and other Ghost-types like Gengar that try to switch into a good-health Burungeru. The EV spread allows for balanced defenses, as I have yet to find a better spread or a specific threat that needs particular EV investment.

Heatran @ Leftovers
    Type: Fire / Steel
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Final Stats: 386 / 216 / 248 / 297 / 342 / 190

Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Roar
    Lava Plume

Heatran acts as one of my two main Phazers and is so good at it it's silly. It's a great switch-in to Choiced Fire-type attacks and has great bulk enough to do its job. Lava Plume has a great 30% burn chance and complements Burungeru's Will-O-Wisp well. Heatran matches up very well with Gyarados as dual-Phazers and even better when you take into account that Swampert is also around to shuffle opponents around. As a trio, Swampert, Heatran, and Gyrados have flawless defensive synergy. RestTalk keeps Heatran in the battle for ages and the EV spread makes it really tough to take down.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Type: Water / Flying
    Ability: Intimidate
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
    Final Stats: 393 / 286 / 282 / 112 / 238 / 198

Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Dragon Tail
    Roar

RestTalk Gyarados has been the glue to many stall teams for a long time, and gen. V didn't do much to change this at all. Intimidate is more useful than ever this generation, with the powerful 140+ attackers, SD Chomp/Doryuuzu, or what have you. Gyarados got an amazing new tool in Dragon Tail, which gives it a 2/3 chance of selecting a Phazing move with Sleep Talk. The loss of STAB is a negative, true, but what I really need Gyara to do is shuffle the opponent's team through my entry hazards, which Dragon Tail and Roar do very well, especially when Taunters or Substitute users try to come in and wall my efforts. Having a Dragon-type move on the team is also useful against the great deal of Dragons that are running around.

Erufuun @ Leftovers
    Type: Grass
    Ability: Mischievous Heart
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Final Stats: 324 / 125 / 206 / 190 / 186 / 364

Leech Seed
    Substitute
    Taunt
    Encore

And now here's the goofy little twerp: my stallbreaker and setup-stopper. This little guy's gamebreaking ability has saved my *** numerous times and really frustrated opponents that are sick of switching around into Spikes, Stealth Rock, Phazing moves, Leech Seed, and the general walls that comprise the team. It's frail, though, so it takes good prediction to use correctly; however, when it gets in on a non-damaging move, it's already done its job. More often than not, opponents switch out on first sight of this thing, allowing me to throw up a free Taunt or Leech Seed. Being the fastest MH user, Erufuun allows me to beat up on Borutorosu and other Erufuun that don't invest in Speed because they think they don't need it (they do). I can also sacrifice Erufuun at any time to stop an apparent sweep by Encoring an attack that's resisted elsewhere on the team, ideally by Swampert, Heatran, or Gyarados. This guy does a great job of rounding out the team and covering any assortment of random threats my team may be unfamiliar with or otherwise unable to deal with at the time of encounter.

That's about it. I really like this team and think it can accomplish even more once the metagame settles down a bit. Well, let me know what you think!
    Last edited by ScrappySpin; 6th October 2010 at 4:34 AM.

Hey Scrappy Spin, welcome to the Serebii forums!

First off, this is actually looking like a really nice and well thought out stall team. I just have a few suggestions. Burungeru doesn't have such a massive SpA stat, so the drop in Base power from Surf to Boiling Water wouldn't matter as much. And that burn effect would be very useful. Not only that, but unlike Will-O-Wisp (unless I'm mistaken), Boiling Water has the chance to burn even Fire types. Also, with a burn source, you could run Toxic over Will-O-Wisp.

Another suggestion is to replace Roar on Gyarados with Waterfall. Roar and Dragon Tail do the same thing, and with Dragon Tail/Waterfall Gyarados will have perfect coverage. I notice that you are planning a phazing Sleep Talk strategy around both moves, but without proper speed investment Gyarados isn't going to be outspeeding many threats to phaze them out quickly enought anyways.

Just some thoughts of mine. I might come back and rate a little more later. Until then, good luck with your team!

Aw man I think Burungeru's low SpA is precisely why it should have WoW/Surf over Boiling Water. What I want it to do is burn Pursuiters or otherwise strong physical threats, and I'd rather have a 75% chance of doing it than a 30% chance while doing negligible damage if I'm going to be doing low damage anyway. If I run Surf, I only need two layers of Spikes to reliably OHKO Doryuuzu, an excellent offensive Rapid Spinner (even SR + one layer would give me a chance to KO that wouldn't exist with Boiling Water), for instance; while at the same time I can reliably neuter something like Scarftar or ScarfChomp who would pretty much just laugh off my attacks no matter what. Surf is also the difference between a OHKO on Infernape with Stealth Rock up or taking two 100 BP Grass Knots for the likely KO and letting Infernape survive.

I also like the effect of having both Phazing moves on Gyarados, what with Taunt or Substitute walling its Phazing ability if I select only one; however I have missed having a reliable attack in Waterfall from time to time. I'm also interested in what you think a good Speed number to hit would be for beating out certain threats with Sleep Talk.

Thanks so much for the rate and I hope you do come back to offer some more advice!