Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 168

Thread: Pokemon Badge Tutorial

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neferka View Post
    Thankyou =]

    Thats very nice [the background isn't WBG for me, don't know if it is for you]
    Bit big, I find they tend to lose their effect when made bigger, but each to their own.

    Also, never save work as JPEG, it reduces the quality, I like the bevel you used on the metallic lines.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post


    Thankyou =]

    Thats very nice [the background isn't WBG for me, don't know if it is for you]
    Bit big, I find they tend to lose their effect when made bigger, but each to their own.

    Also, never save work as JPEG, it reduces the quality, I like the bevel you used on the metallic lines.
    I was having trouble with background transparency so tried to fake it (seems I was foiled!)

    I'm assuming you use something like png instead of jpeg (?)

    I've been trying to figure out how to do the outer glow - linear burn thing from your tutorial (so I can make a proper badge), but I can't find a GIMP equivalent. I'd probably have to do it manually.

    Anyway, thanks for the critique. Hopefully I can come up with something decent soon.

    EDIT: (I went with berries just to hone my skills)
    Last edited by Neferka; 31st January 2011 at 6:19 AM.


  3. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,231

    Default

    Since I don't have a tablet or use Photoshop, I use GIMP, I tried to modify the steps to GIMP. I think I need to make the silver lines thicker.
    PS I know it is not a pokemon but I'm trying to make my own badges.
    How's This:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    ^ you need to upload your image to an image hosting site, then copy and paste the URL provided here. I can't receive attatchments.

    @ Neferka ... 8D I LOVE YOUR SHADING STYLE! but the lining bugs me, i dunno maybe for the badges size the lining needs to be a little bit thicker?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,231

    Default

    OK, no problem.
    Here:

    if the pic doesn't work go here http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/...LunarBadge.png
    Last edited by bolter1; 1st February 2011 at 10:33 PM.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolter1 View Post
    OK, no problem.
    Here:

    if the pic doesn't work go here http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/...LunarBadge.png
    Good start, but i'd make the Silver Lining thicker and it needs to have a dark rim around the lining too. The colours seem a little murky and dark for a Lunar Badge, maybe brighten it a bit?

    What's a Puffle?

  7. #32

    Default

    Well, heres my first go at it. I'm lucky I have CS5E, but unlucky I don't have tablet I sure hope it doesn't have to be Pokemon, because this was originally going to be something like Snover's hat (Or whatever its called xD) but the white wouldn't work so I went with green.I think its ok for my first try, but I'd like some critisism on it.


  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UmbreonKit333 View Post
    Well, heres my first go at it. I'm lucky I have CS5E, but unlucky I don't have tablet I sure hope it doesn't have to be Pokemon, because this was originally going to be something like Snover's hat (Or whatever its called xD) but the white wouldn't work so I went with green.I think its ok for my first try, but I'd like some critisism on it.

    Well your first major problem is the white ectraction pixels, if you can't save as PNG then it isn't going to work really, PNG allows you to make transparent images AND keep slight tranparency on images, GIF only deals with 100% tranparency or 0% transparency. So save as PNG.

    Apart from that it looks quite quite good for your first try. The shading, however, doesn't seem to have any highlights, it just looks like jagged stripes of dark and then medium tone. Make the shading straighter and add more tones, it's supposed to give a sort metallic sheen to the image.

  9. #34

    Default

    I tried making it transperant and then re-converting it to PNG, but it would fail. Would happen to know a way to get it transpersnt and stay PNG?

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UmbreonKit333 View Post
    I tried making it transperant and then re-converting it to PNG, but it would fail. Would happen to know a way to get it transpersnt and stay PNG?
    Once you have saved as GIF you can't turn it back to PNG, do you still have the Psd. file? If so, open that and simply re-save it in PNG format, with no background behind the badge [so the checker pattern can be seen]

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post


    Good start, but i'd make the Silver Lining thicker and it needs to have a dark rim around the lining too. The colours seem a little murky and dark for a Lunar Badge, maybe brighten it a bit?
    I think this one is much better (http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/...LunarBadge.png)
    When you say that it needs a dark rim around the lining do you mean just around the outside or all around the lining inside and out?

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolter1 View Post
    I think this one is much better (http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/...LunarBadge.png)
    When you say that it needs a dark rim around the lining do you mean just around the outside or all around the lining inside and out?
    Inside and Out, the badge looks cleaner but theres still no lighter highlights on it.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    STALKER D:
    Posts
    842

    Default

    i personally love these badges
    keep up the good work
    i'll try to make one, though im no good
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/b3r2j5.jpg[/IMG]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugwarrior View Post
    : THAT'S IT! *turns to Milo* I DON'T WANT YOUR BALLS MILO!
    : o.o
    wifiguest3216: battle plz, no nasty plot, or sword dance, or dragon dance, and u HAVE TO LET me set up bellyzard, and no taunt, or heracross, and NO WEAVILE, and no substitute unless I have it. And dont use that many attacks and NO ROAR or WHIRLWIND. AND IF IM GOING TO LOSE, then quit the fight.
    Back early!

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lazerton
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Could you make these on an iPad app? And how do you get those straight lines?
    Last edited by Piemonster24; 16th February 2011 at 12:30 AM.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central City, Amestris
    Posts
    105

    Default

    I edited the pixel tutorial a little, to make it easier, and here is what i came up with:



    Edit1:

    since Ditto123 posted, i decided to make this:


    Edit2:

    It's Mew!!!

    Last edited by Pika22; 20th February 2011 at 1:53 AM.
    BECAUSE I'M A POTATO!
    3rd Place!

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Third time lucky perhaps? This is probably about as close as I can get to your style using GIMP. Again, ignore the subject matter. I just made some abstract shapes to practice with:


  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neferka View Post
    Third time lucky perhaps? This is probably about as close as I can get to your style using GIMP. Again, ignore the subject matter. I just made some abstract shapes to practice with:
    Well done! You're now the closest i've seen, tbh, i'd keep it the way they are for you, it shows your style.

    @Pika22: They're nice, try to work on scratch work, but you need the darker outlines of the silver lining on the inside of the badge too, like on Asol, you can't see the lines at all because Absol's main colouring is so bright.
    Last edited by Northern Lights; 22nd February 2011 at 11:28 AM.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central City, Amestris
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post

    Well done! You're now the closest i've seen, tbh, i'd keep it the way they are for you, it shows your style.

    @Pika22: They're nice, try to work on scratch work, but you need the darker outlines of the silver lining on the inside of the badge too, like on Asol, you can't see the lines at all because Absol's main colouring is so bright.
    Here's Some badges i made:


    Last edited by Pika22; 23rd February 2011 at 3:01 AM.
    BECAUSE I'M A POTATO!
    3rd Place!

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pika22 View Post
    Here's Some badges i made:
    You havn't changed anything since your last lot. Previous comments still apply.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central City, Amestris
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Not the Best ever made, but it's a start......




    I'll still do sprite badges, but i'll keep the inner silver lines in mind
    Last edited by Pika22; 23rd February 2011 at 10:29 PM.
    BECAUSE I'M A POTATO!
    3rd Place!

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pika22 View Post
    Not the Best ever made, but it's a start......




    I'll still do sprite badges, but i'll keep the inner silver lines in mind
    What program are you using? The Silver Lines are quite jagged, might want to try and sort those out, also the addition of eyes is a bit odd, but if that's your thing then its up to you.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central City, Amestris
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post

    What program are you using? The Silver Lines are quite jagged, might want to try and sort those out, also the addition of eyes is a bit odd, but if that's your thing then its up to you.


    Erm.... i'm using gimp

    Edit:


    Here's another Badge:


    Another:

    Last edited by Pika22; 24th February 2011 at 1:17 AM.
    BECAUSE I'M A POTATO!
    3rd Place!

  23. #48
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ever Grande City
    Posts
    279

    Default

    I try. xD
    Any tips? I'm using a tablet and Photoshop CS.
    [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/p5emg.png[/IMG]

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manaphee View Post
    I try. xD
    Any tips? I'm using a tablet and Photoshop CS.
    [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/p5emg.png[/IMG]
    Try to just pick out the main features of a pokemon and redraw them in your style, sort of symbolic.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central City, Amestris
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Ok, i've done a few more:





    The last one's bad.....
    BECAUSE I'M A POTATO!
    3rd Place!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •