Page 1 of 117 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Baseball Thread

Default The new Major League Baseball thread

Well seeing as how the old one is technically dead, no post for over 30 days, I feel it would be fitting to start a new one to discuss off-season moves, the fact that pitchers and catchers report in 24 days, your favorite team and their chances to win the World Series (PROTIP: for the Cubs it is 0%), etc.

Currently one of the biggest stories in MLB right now is that Tejada seems to be going back to Baltimore, and that Johnny Damon may or may not have a deadline of this weekend (today) to agree to a deal with the Yankees. Plus there are still some big name free agents still available, including Ben Sheets, Hank Blalock, Rocco Baldelli, and Jason Isringhausen.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

As the resident O's fan, I would have to say that I was surprised by the move to bring back Tejada. He's lost a lot of power, and he wasn't a popular person here at the end of his run. But he's a pretty good fit for the line-up, where he doesn't need to hit for power. The question is whether he can play third. Despite not being really effective at the plate, you could always count on Mora to have a pretty good glove over at third.

Yeah, it's hard to wait for baseball season. I really want it to start soon.

Now being reposted!

Let's see...something to contribute...well, speaking of my favorite team (the A's), too bad their top prospect, Grant Desme, retired (early) from baseball to enter priesthood. I guess God is more important than his baseball career. As Desme would mention, he couldn't find himself inner peace, which is why he took the religious path.

I wished he'd stay in MLB and play, but then again, it's his life, and it's his decision. Best of luck, Desme.

Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    (PROTIP: for the Cubs it is 0%)
    So if it's 0% for the Cubs (hint: it isn't), what does that make it for the Pirates then, woot old boy? Can there be negative percentages?

Plus there are still some big name free agents still available, including Ben Sheets, Hank Blalock, Rocco Baldelli, and Jason Isringhausen.
    None of these are big names, just players who were talented/touted as being talented/gave the illusion of being talented at one point and are still unsigned. Isringhausen's probably done anyway; to pitch, you need a healthy arm and you need a team that wants you and Izzy has neither.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    So if it's 0% for the Cubs (hint: it isn't), what does that make it for the Pirates then, woot old boy? Can there be negative percentages?
    Hey, I'm just going based on previous playoff history, and what it says. No matter how good the Cubs are, they always find a way to choke in the end. I really believe the Pirates will be the surprise team of the 2010 season. They are going to have 3 good starters at the top of the rotation, a number 4 who has the stuff to be an ace, if he can control it, and hopefully a serviceable number 5. On the offensive side the line up could be pretty scary, even more so come mid-season when Tabata and Alvarez arrive in the bigs. As long as Doumit stays healthy we could have a very good year.

None of these are big names, just players who were talented/touted as being talented/gave the illusion of being talented at one point and are still unsigned. Isringhausen's probably done anyway; to pitch, you need a healthy arm and you need a team that wants you and Izzy has neither.
    Hey now, Isringhausen is a "big" name. Well they are some of the biggest names remaining on the market, the remaining free agents are either older guys past their prime or guys who never becoming really good players.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Scalgon View Post
    Let's see...something to contribute...well, speaking of my favorite team (the A's), too bad their top prospect, Grant Desme, retired (early) from baseball to enter priesthood. I guess God is more important than his baseball career. As Desme would mention, he couldn't find himself inner peace, which is why he took the religious path.

I wished he'd stay in MLB and play, but then again, it's his life, and it's his decision. Best of luck, Desme.
    Desme definitely wasn't the A's top prospect, but he was definitely in the top 10-15 and was part of the reason Cunningham was expendable in the Kouzmanoff trade. However, there's still Taylor, Carter, Doolittle and Brown who are also good outfield prospects (or spending time in the outfield at least). It's still too bad he decided to retire though.
    Quote Originally Posted by card986 View Post
    of course i can use google. its taught me more then school.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySweatyMan View Post
    Desme definitely wasn't the A's top prospect, but he was definitely in the top 10-15 and was part of the reason Cunningham was expendable in the Kouzmanoff trade. However, there's still Taylor, Carter, Doolittle and Brown who are also good outfield prospects (or spending time in the outfield at least). It's still too bad he decided to retire though.
    True, even with the other prospects, they still can't be expected to perform excellently in this upcoming season. Come to think of it, it took a season for Tim Lincecum to become an extraordinary player. Not only did he become a Cy Young award winner, but he surpassed Barry Zito and became the ace of the pitching staff for the Giants. If a player performs average on one season and unleashes a spectacular performance on the season after, the prospect just might be worth keeping.

We'll just have to wait and see how this '10 season goes. I personally don't think the A's will do well, but maybe end up with an average record in the first 40 games as the '10 season continues. I hope I'm wrong when the A's pull off with a decent record, but then again, we just have to wait and see.

As a Jays kindafan, I want to know if the prospects we got for Halladay are any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Scalgon View Post
    True, even with the other prospects, they still can't be expected to perform excellently in this upcoming season. Come to think of it, it took a season for Tim Lincecum to become an extraordinary player. Not only did he become a Cy Young award winner, but he surpassed Barry Zito and became the ace of the pitching staff for the Giants. If a player performs average on one season and unleashes a spectacular performance on the season after, the prospect just might be worth keeping.
    Well, this season I doubt Desme would have gotten any more playing time than a cup of coffee in the majors. He was going to start the season in AA. Since the starting outfield is basically decided that Davis will be in left, Crisp in center and Sweeney in right, there's really only a need for a fourth outfielder, which a still developing prospect should never be. Lincecum is a pretty good comparison for Anderson in my opinion, other than them being opposite-handed and having different secondary pitches. Anderson definitely has the potential, and should, develop into the A's staff ace.

We'll just have to wait and see how this '10 season goes. I personally don't think the A's will do well, but maybe end up with an average record in the first 40 games as the '10 season continues. I hope I'm wrong when the A's pull off with a decent record, but then again, we just have to wait and see.
    Not that I'm predicting a division win or anything, but the pitching/defense combo that the A's have is actually really good, especially considering they might just have the best bullpen in the majors. I guess I'm saying that I think this season will at least be exciting if nothing else (although I prefer watching great pitching and defense over a huge offense). A lot of signs are pointing to Barton and Anderson having really good years and possibly Gio as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDance
    As a Jays kindafan, I want to know if the prospects we got for Halladay are any good?
    Yes, you guys got some pretty good prospects. At least from what I remember, that was more than what anyone was willing to give up for him during the trade talks during the season.

I don't watch Major League Baseball that much.
    But i usually go for either the Rangers or the Astros.

..... although they haven't done too hot in recent years.....

I like to see The Yankees to win another Title this Fall.They need to get ride of records that happen with a bit of Performance enhancing drugs.Steroids are like rare pokemon hacked by Action Replay.

there's no Battle Frontier?!

Quote Originally Posted by LucarioWolf View Post
    I like to see The Yankees to win another Title this Fall.
    Good joke.

Quote Originally Posted by LucarioWolf View Post
    They need to get ride of records that happen with a bit of Performance enhancing drugs.Steroids are like rare pokemon hacked by Action Replay.
    It isn't anywhere near that simple. At all. Do more research.

-----
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotwapal View Post
    I don't watch Major League Baseball that much.
    But i usually go for either the Rangers or the Astros.

..... although they haven't done too hot in recent years.....
    As much as I don't like to say it, the Rangers are going to be a really good team really soon.

I'm a fan of the Red Sox and Braves so my teams usually look good. My dad, however, is a Royals and Cubs fan so I guess he's used to not succeeding.
    (image beautifully drawn by pixiv user id #45323)
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/34il6ah.png[/IMG]
    Lelouch is watching over all of us.

Just over 6 days until spring training starts. Anyone have thoughts on the fact that Johnny Damon and Jermaine Dye are still unsigned? Personally I'm surprised, both are still good players who can help a team that signs them.

woot21 out dawgs

Well Johnny Damon lost a decent amount of money, so he wants more than he's worth. I used to die watching him in the outfield, but he was a great bat, and overall I think important in the Yankees chemistry, which in my opinion, was a major part of winning. As for Dye, I don't know. I'd take him.
    Volt Tackle's #1 fan
    [IMG]http://i50.*******.com/s2fn76.jpg[/IMG]
    Diamond fc:4468 1368 0835 ign: psfrag
    Heart Gold fc:4555 2145 5815 ign: psfrag

Fan Fiction

Just over 6 days until spring training starts. Anyone have thoughts on the fact that Johnny Damon and Jermaine Dye are still unsigned? Personally I'm surprised, both are still good players who can help a team that signs them.
    An accurate assessment of Damon was already posted - he wants too much money so now he's at the mercy of whatever bargain-shopping teams might be interested.

Dye's case is largely the same, though worse in some ways. Unlike Damon, his numbers took a complete nosedive in the second half of 2009. Yet, he turned down a bench spot for $3.3 million guaranteed from the Cubs, ostensibly because he still thinks he's a starter and worth more money. He too can now only wait for a team to want his declining services at a heavily discounted price.

Pride goeth before a fall.

-----
    Words to|live by

Pitchers and catchers officially reported; this means we're one step closer to baseball season!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySweatyMan View Post
    Pitchers and catchers officially reported; this means we're one step closer to baseball season!
    Screw the groundhog; baseball tells me when winter's over.

-----
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Screw the groundhog; baseball tells me when winter's over.
    Damn straight. Also, what the hell were the Tigers thinking? $8M for Damon? WTF

woot21 out dawgs

Clearly he can still play, and staying in the AL and particularly with a team (Detroit) presently starting an oft-injured converted infielder (Carlos Guillen) in left field means he can rotate between starting in LF and DHing more or less whenever he needs.

Comerica is no Yankee Stadium, but it's still friendly to lefty pull hitters: only 330 feet down the RF line and only 365 to the alley.

He's a few million overpaid from the team's standpoint, maybe, and from his standpoint, he cost himself about $6 million total by not taking 2 years/$14 million when the Yankees offered it, but overall, it's not a terrible deal for either side.

-----
    Words to|live by

What do you guys think of Nomar signing a one day minor league contract to retire with the Red Sox? I think it's pretty honorable, and red sox nation probably agrees with me. When he threw the first pitch of the rays/red sox game the sox fans gave him an ovation, that shows a lot about what he means to the fans. Being a sox fan myself I couldn't agree more. Also, I started a baseball social group if anyone wants to join. There aren't a lot of members right now so it would be cool if some of you joined! ^_^
    Last edited by avatar1001; 14th March 2010 at 3:24 AM.

Here comes the storm!

Spoiler:- Platinum Trainer info:

It's pointless but entirely harmless.

-----
    Words to|live by

Best not admit I'm a Yankees fan (Hint, hint I'm a fan) so here's hoping for another title.

Anyway, I really thought Nomar's retirment was really touching. A good way to end off a career of a great player, whose numbers don't appear to be Hall of Fame worthy after he left Boston anyway.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Too bad injuries got to Nomar, he could have had a good rest of his career.

Here comes the storm!

Spoiler:- Platinum Trainer info:

Page 1 of 117 123451151101 ... LastLast