Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 2917

Thread: MLB Baseball Thread

I knew shields was gone soon anyways

Nice to get some good prospects for him, although I can't understand why he wasn't worth a major leaguer

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    Nice to get some good prospects for him, although I can't understand why he wasn't worth a major leaguer
    I'm sure someone of your stature would have no problem finding Wil Myers' minor league numbers, so I certainly won't bore you with those, but for someone whose every fourth or fifth post during the season bemoans Tampa's lack of offense and who bemoans his team's lack of a huge payroll with which to sign the top free agents (usually in the form of anger at other teams), "I can't understand why he wasn't worth a major leaguer" is a puzzling response at best. You traded away one okay starter and a swingman (clearing $11-12 mil from your 2013 payroll in the process) and got back a player who can hit, who is 21 and, to the benefit of your small-market team, hasn't had his MLB freshness seal broken yet. And this doesn't even touch that you got Odorizzi back too.

Of the major leaguers on Kansas City's roster with any realistic shot of being traded - that definitely eliminates Hosmer and Moustakas and maaaaybe eliminates Butler and Gordon right off the bat - who would you have wanted? There's not an abundance of talent on that major league roster that they'd be willing to part with.

Point is, try help me to understand what the trade doesn't do for you, when by all accounts the Rays made out fantastically in this deal.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    I knew shields was gone soon anyways
    I can't believe he came here. I never expect the Royals to make a big trade for anyone. Hopefully it'll work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    ...maaaaybe eliminates Butler and Gordon right off the bat...
    I think a number of fans around here would probably riot if either of those 2 were traded (not that I necessarily expect the team to regard that).
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicPsycho View Post
    I think a number of fans around here would probably riot if either of those 2 were traded (not that I necessarily expect the team to regard that).
    They should be ready to riot over this. Not literally, of course, but this was not a good trade for Kansas City.

-----
    Words to|live by

I'm sure someone of your stature would have no problem finding Wil Myers' minor league numbers, so I certainly won't bore you with those, but for someone whose every fourth or fifth post during the season bemoans Tampa's lack of offense and who bemoans his team's lack of a huge payroll with which to sign the top free agents (usually in the form of anger at other teams), "I can't understand why he wasn't worth a major leaguer" is a puzzling response at best. You traded away one okay starter and a swingman (clearing $11-12 mil from your 2013 payroll in the process) and got back a player who can hit, who is 21 and, to the benefit of your small-market team, hasn't had his MLB freshness seal broken yet. And this doesn't even touch that you got Odorizzi back too.

Of the major leaguers on Kansas City's roster with any realistic shot of being traded - that definitely eliminates Hosmer and Moustakas and maaaaybe eliminates Butler and Gordon right off the bat - who would you have wanted? There's not an abundance of talent on that major league roster that they'd be willing to part with.

Point is, try help me to understand what the trade doesn't do for you, when by all accounts the Rays made out fantastically in this deal.
    Ok, I have had a chance to look at all the stats of the guys we got and really think about this trade. I have to agree. Rays made out like bandits. and you are probably right that KC would not have traded any of those major leaguers. I would have wanted Butler, but I think there was absolutely no chance of that. I really, really like this Myers kid. Analysts have been comparing him to Trout, Harper, Longoria etc. I am sad to see one of my favorites go in shields, but Friedman made another great deal to make up for it

In the long run, I think this hurts KC badly. Shields and Davis aren't enough to put them over the top imo.

Going to say TB won that trade, just because of them gaining Wil Myers and other prospects, while still having Price, Helickson, and others in that rotation.

KC's Rotation

1- Shields
    2- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
    3- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
    4- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
    5- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis

Still shaky if you ask me, and the Royals could have used Myers in RF over Francoeur, who had a -WAR last season.

I'm just saying, but unless these prospects become MAJOR busts, TB won hands down, esp since the major piece of this trade is hitting his age 31 season next year.

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollFreak View Post
    Going to say TB won that trade, just because of them gaining Wil Myers and other prospects, while still having Price, Helickson, and others in that rotation.

KC's Rotation

1- Shields
    2- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
    3- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
    4- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
    5- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis

Still shaky if you ask me, and the Royals could have used Myers in RF over Francoeur, who had a -WAR last season.

I'm just saying, but unless these prospects become MAJOR busts, TB won hands down, esp since the major piece of this trade is hitting his age 31 season next year.
    and I believe only under team control for 2 years.

That ruined my day. And before BCVM or Rebecca come here to attempt to ridicule me, I know that Tampa Bay did the right thing. Still, Shields was my favorite player, and I will be very sad to see him play in another uniform. Best wishes to him in Kansas City.
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

They should be ready to riot over this. Not literally, of course, but this was not a good trade for Kansas City.
    I'm not really one to judge how good or bad a trade is. However, I can't say I'm surprised- I've come to view the higher-ups for KC as pretty inept, so I'm not surprised if the trade sucks.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

Quote Originally Posted by sceptile33 View Post
    That ruined my day. And before BCVM or Rebecca come here to attempt to ridicule me, I know that Tampa Bay did the right thing. Still, Shields was my favorite player, and I will be very sad to see him play in another uniform. Best wishes to him in Kansas City.
    It ruined my day too, until I really took a good look at the guys we got. Myers will be a fixture in our lineup behind Longo if he pans out.

I wonder if it was smart of the Dodger's to offer Zack Greinke that much money... I know he's a well to do pitcher, but he's not the best. A career 3.77 ERA is good, but I don't think it's worth $147 mil
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    I wonder if it was smart of the Dodger's to offer Zack Greinke that much money... I know he's a well to do pitcher, but he's not the best. A career 3.77 ERA is good, but I don't think it's worth $147 mil
    You can say this about every big free agent contract ever. It's not exclusive to what the Dodgers just gave Greinke.

More importantly, though, Greinke has an opt-out clause after three seasons. If - if - Greinke pitches up to that contract, he will likely exercise that clause and return to the open market, potentially divesting the Dodgers of their obligations beyond that. It is not at all outside the realm of possibility that the Dodgers will only have to pay Greinke those three years and then some other team can offer him even more money.
    Last edited by BCVM22; 11th December 2012 at 7:49 PM.

-----
    Words to|live by

You can say this about every big free agent contract ever. It's not exclusive to what the Dodgers just gave Greinke.

More importantly, though, Greinke has an opt-out clause after three seasons. If - if - Greinke pitches up to that contract, he will likely exercise that clause and return to the open market, potentially divesting the Dodgers of their obligations beyond that. It is not at all outside the realm of possibility that the Dodgers will only have to pay Greinke those three years and then some other team can offer him even more money.
    Well that's true and yes I did know about that... it's just I figured that Dodger's would have learned that big spending doesn't ensure a spot in the Playoffs and more importantly the World Series. Especially because of technically now last season... (where they spent a ton and didn't even make the wild card)
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Wait, I've been so busy with school and whatnot that I haven't been keeping up with baseball news.

KC got Shields?

-----
    Words to|live by

Wow, he was a steal for them. They could seriously contend for the AL Central (though I still say the Tigers will win it in 2013).

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Latias View Post
    Wow, he was a steal for them.
    Uh. No. They gave up their top prospect in Wil Myers and a pretty good pitching prospect in Odorizzi, plus a few other pieces. The Rays came out ahead in this trade. One can debate the margin by which they came out ahead, but trading Shields and Davis clears $11-12 million from their 2013 payroll and gives them a middle of the order hitter who will be under team control for years to come. Meanwhile, the Royals mortgaged their future for a good but not great starter and a swingman.

They could seriously contend for the AL Central
    Shields helps them not suck, but he doesn't push that rotation into contention on his own. It was posted at the top of this page - the band is still James Shields and the Middling Starters.
    Last edited by BCVM22; 12th December 2012 at 3:52 AM.

-----
    Words to|live by

Shin-Shoo Choo got traded to the Reds, Drew Stubbs went the Indians, and prospects went to the D'Backs. Also, the Pirates signed Jason Grilli, making trading Joel a much less scary prospect now.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

Wow, he was a steal for them. They could seriously contend for the AL Central (though I still say the Tigers will win it in 2013).
    Unless the Tigers suffer another under performing season, no one in the AL Central (despite the trades and what not) should be in their league this year.
    Last edited by Joltik-Kid; 12th December 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Yeah, I guess. Sorry for the overreaction. xD

And you know what? I think the only reason the Tigers "underperformed" in 2012 year was injuries. There was one point in the first half where everyone was injured (including Doug Fister, Austin Jackson, and Andy Dirks, and the latter two were having career years). If they didn't suffer that injury bug early in the year, the Tigers would have had no problem winning the AL Central.
    Plus, the White Sox had like four guys having career years and no major injuries all year. I think they're going to regress in 2013.

Shields and Davis aren't enough to put that team into the posteason. KC will regret this deal a lot in the long run. Shields is only under their control for 2 years.

The Indians made themselves a nice trade. Choo only had one more year and would have been too expensive for them to keep. They got a pitcher in Bauer with ace potential (which is what they desperately need), an outfielder in Stubbs who has some work to do at the plate but is a 30-40 SB guy with Gold Glove-caliber defense in center, and two other prospects. And I think the Reds made themselves World Series favorites in 2013 by filling in the only hole in their lineup at the leadoff spot. As long as he is healthy, Choo will be solid and a huge upgrade for them. As for Arizona, I guess only time will tell how that trade works out for them.

New Chapter: Chapter 4- Unova

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Creature of Storms
    Also check out my completed crossover of Pokemon and Pirates by clicking the title!

"Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
    Ephesians 6:17

And you know what? I think the only reason the Tigers "underperformed" in 2012 year was injuries. There was one point in the first half where everyone was injured (including Doug Fister, Austin Jackson, and Andy Dirks, and the latter two were having career years). If they didn't suffer that injury bug early in the year, the Tigers would have had no problem winning the AL Central.
    Plus, the White Sox had like four guys having career years and no major injuries all year. I think they're going to regress in 2013.
    Other then injuries, the team just flat out sucked against lefty and mediocre pitchers. Hopefully they solve that problem during training

Hamilton and Albert on the same team. wow. Thats a LOT of money in 2 players

And Mike Illitch proves once again why he's the best owner in sports (cue Lions "fans" crying about why Ford can't fire Schwartz and pay that much money to get Jon Gruden to coach them). Sanchez stays with the Tigers with a 5 year, $80 million deal. They overpaid, but they need him.

Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117 LastLast