Page 12 of 117 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Baseball Thread

Big Al is out for 4-6 weeks. I don't mean Alfonso Soriano for any confused Cub fans that may be reading this.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

The all-important All-star voting will surely be impacted. I also wonder how the Cardinals will be able to deal with this since Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee are all pretty tightly grouped together.
    Last edited by Vernikova; 20th June 2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    The all-important All-star voting will surely be impacted.
    No, the voting itself will be unaffected, largely because of the myriad of problems with the concept of "All-Star voting".

What will happen is that Pujols will likely still be voted in as the NL's starting first baseman - that this can and likely will actually happen tells you a fair bit about the concept - and then the next-leading vote-getter at the position (Votto, likely) will start instead and on the back end, another first baseman will be picked to take the roster spot.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

I for one am a devout Giants fan. They're doing pretty sweet this year (Except for their games against the A's :/)

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    No, the voting itself will be unaffected, largely because of the myriad of problems with the concept of "All-Star voting".

What will happen is that Pujols will likely still be voted in as the NL's starting first baseman - that this can and likely will actually happen tells you a fair bit about the concept - and then the next-leading vote-getter at the position (Votto, likely) will start instead and on the back end, another first baseman will be picked to take the roster spot.
    The problem with all star voting is the fans have too much power. at one point this season the ENTIRE INFIELD was all yankees. They have since got it straight and put Adrian Gonzalez at 1st.

The catcher was Russel Martin. seriously, martin an all star.

at the time, Matt Joyce was also leading the league in hitting and he was 14th in vote getting for his position.

He has since fallen off, but this shows what a joke the ASG has become. Its nothing but a contest of who can stuff the ballots the most.

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Yeah, Orange, another A's fan!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    A's fans, how do you like Grant Balfour? I miss the mad aussie...
    I like the guy, I just don't like the fact that we signed him. I'm diggin' this shot (which was after a go ahead HR, I believe): http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...M.png&newest=1
    Quote Originally Posted by card986 View Post
    of course i can use google. its taught me more then school.

well pujols is out 4-6 weeks just in time for the phils to roll through. pujols will still most likely be the starter if hes healthy.reyes is having a monster year mets should clean up in the trade deadline.
    bushie
    white fc:2581 7084 0443
    soul silver fc: 4298 8231 5702
    WHITE 2 FC : 3182 9975 4292
    3ds fc: 4356 0302 3712
    HERE WE GO EAGLES

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post

Oh right. I forgot the All-star was voting was just a popularity contest.

He has since fallen off, but this shows what a joke the ASG has become. Its nothing but a contest of who can stuff the ballots the most.
    Which makes is astounding how it still decides who gets home field advantage in the World Series. I never saw the reason to have that other than for just having it.

Quote Originally Posted by bushie View Post
    pujols will still most likely be the starter if hes healthy.
    If he's out 4-6 weeks now - and that's a very, very optimistic estimate, given how badly a hitter needs a healthy wrist and forearm to hit, especially for power - then he's probably not going to be back for a game played three weeks from now, no?
    Last edited by BCVM22; 22nd June 2011 at 12:47 AM.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Yeah I agree that if his wrist is not really healed it won't help that much.

I think that the Yankees will at least make it to postseason and have a decent shot at winning the world series. I also think the Phillies have a good chance.
    Uh ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    Oh right. I forgot the All-star was voting was just a popularity contest.

Which makes is astounding how it still decides who gets home field advantage in the World Series. I never saw the reason to have that other than for just having it.
    I think the ASG is a great thing to have. But having almost the entire infield made of one team just because they have the most fans to vote is stupid. Take the voting out of the fans' hands and truly make the ASG a game between the best in the league, not the most popular

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySweatyMan View Post
    Yeah, Orange, another A's fan!
    Ha ha, they did take the gold unis on the road! And they won! Six straight!

Ouch, I got back from my run, turned on the TV and the Giants were down 8-0 in the 2nd?! Wha' happen?
    Pokémon Runner Challenge

Kahuna
    106.95 miles

the phils scored 9runs in the eighth and beat the cards 10-2.couple walks,hit batsman and great hitting.the phils showed took time and blew the doors open.
    bushie
    HERE WE GO EAGLES

the phils scored 9runs in the eighth and beat the cards 10-2.couple walks,hit batsman and great hitting.the phils showed took time and blew the doors open.
    Sorry, but I have a hard time not hating large market teams in the MLB. It seems that teams like mine (the rays) are just looked at as farm systems for the big money teams.

I know its within the rules, but I think it is wrong for a team to go out and load their starting pitching staff with the best of the best through free agency. Who is left on the Phillies starting rotation that was home grown?

Then there is the Yankees and Red Sox. I can't remember the last time they had a major minor league call up that had a big impact. This is because they don't develop their players like other teams. When they have a need, they go out an overspend to take a player from another team. Usually the amount of money they offer gives that team no hope of resigning the player. I know the Yankees have quite a few home grown players on their roster, but those players were drafted and called up a long time ago. For a while now, the Yankees have pretty much neglected their farm system.

If the big money teams were to build through the draft like everyone else, I would not have any problem with them. As it is, big money teams in the MLB are pushing me away from watching the MLB at all. Although its the sweetest feeling in the world of sports if you are a fan of a small market team and they beat the big market teams for the division. But the small market teams have a small window for success when their draft picks have matured enough to put the team at a serious competitive level. When they do mature, the small market team has about a window of 2-3 years before contracts are up and the big money teams come calling with contracts that the original team can't hope to match. The way the MLB is set up with no salary cap give the large market teams a clear advantage over the smaller teams because there is no limit to what they can spend.
    Rant over :P
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 22nd June 2011 at 3:32 PM.

hey sorry but with no cap in the MLB thats how it is. the yanks won the WS in 2009 with a 250mil team the phils have around 150-160.thats baseball remember the phils haven't always been good remember since 07 the last time the phils went to the playoffs was 93'. so i'm enjoying the fact that were're now a big market team.
    bushie
    HERE WE GO EAGLES

hey sorry but with no cap in the MLB thats how it is. the yanks won the WS in 2009 with a 250mil team the phils have around 150-160.thats baseball remember the phils haven't always been good remember since 07 the last time the phils went to the playoffs was 93'. so i'm enjoying the fact that were're now a big market team.
    See, thats the reason why the MLB is declining in my eyes. If there were a salary cap of say, 120 million, you would have a much more level playing field and no teams full of the best players in the league.

The Rays fielded Division winning team that went to the world series in 08 with a 40 million dollar payroll. They have never had more than 70 million, yet because they have some of the smartest owners in the league they have been able to mostly work around the disadvantages of playing in the same division with the Yankees and Sox. Until now. They had a run of 3 years of being a very competitive team in the AL East. now look, most of the players that enabled that are gone to big markets. Quite a few of them to the Sox and Yankees.

If you can't field a competitive team for under 120 million, then you just don't have very smart management

UGHH. Worst giants vs Twins game EVAR... (Sorry if someone else already posted this) Bumgarner literally pitched 25 times in the first inning, throwing a single, double, single, double, single, double, single, and finally a double. DX That makes 8 runs for the Twins BEFORE THE FIRST OUT. Finally they switched out Bumgarner, and the final score was 9-2... UGHHHhhhh...

got any carpet buffalo fans here SAUR i'm an ex werecub myself SAUR never sold too many jerseys SAUR Hairy Beary never even bothered to learn my name SAUR

details SAUR http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater SAUR

hey chicago whaddya say SAUR werecubs gonna win today SAUR

I think the ASG is a great thing to have. But having almost the entire infield made of one team just because they have the most fans to vote is stupid. Take the voting out of the fans' hands and truly make the ASG a game between the best in the league, not the most popular
    Yeah but the game is for the fans so it's whatever. What I'm getting at is that it determines who gets home field in the World Series which might not be the best thing to have in a popularity contest.

I wish I was in the states for the All Star Game. Are any
    White Sox starting for the AL?
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/11b19wm.png[/IMG] oh yeah
    ALL THANKS TO EZZPEON

I CLAIM CASTFORM

Voting hasn't ended yet.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_st...asgballot-2011

edit: btw i voted all yankees just saying
    Last edited by Vernikova; 22nd June 2011 at 8:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiken9 View Post
    I wish I was in the states for the All Star Game. Are any
    White Sox starting for the AL?
    Not right now. I don't think there will either. The only one I see having a chance is Paul Konerko, but Adrian Gonzalez seems to have 1st base locked up.

btw, Rays move to 41-34 today beating the Brewers (best home team in the league) 2 out of 3 in the series. now 3 1/2 back of Boston.

If we were in the brewers division we would be leading it. Shows how tough the AL East is

Phillies have the best record in baseball right now. I would really like to see Boston vs Phillies in the World Series, and the Phillies have a pretty good chance.

Jose Bautista has the most homers right now. He's doing really good right now, and I haven't even heard of him until last year.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Money902 View Post
    Phillies have the best record in baseball right now. I would really like to see Boston vs Phillies in the World Series, and the Phillies have a pretty good chance.

Jose Bautista has the most homers right now. He's doing really good right now, and I haven't even heard of him until last year.
    I would like to see the Pirates against the Rays or some other small market matchup. Absolutely sick of the WS between the large markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Money902 View Post
    I would really like to see Boston vs Phillies in the World Series, and the Phillies have a pretty good chance.
    Don't seem to recall the Giants having any trouble with the Phillies or Cliff Lee last year…
    Pokémon Runner Challenge

Kahuna
    106.95 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Orange View Post
    Don't seem to recall the Giants having any trouble with the Phillies or Cliff Lee last year…
    Honestly a world series without any of; Boston, New York Yankees, Phillies, would be perfect to me.

Page 12 of 117 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast