Page 2 of 117 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Baseball Thread

It would be fitting if Gagne's comeback year, if it is to happen, was the same year as the Dodgers winning the World Series. Honestly, I really don't know what the Dodgers' FO was thinking this off season. It's like they half-assed a win-now team and half-assed a rebuilding team instead of going all out in one direction. I blame Manny's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryloom View Post
    It would be fitting if Gagne's comeback year, if it is to happen, was the same year as the Dodgers winning the World Series.
    Won't happen to start the season if at all. They cut him and kicked him back to minor league camp last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryloom View Post
    I blame Manny's contract.
    I would blame any number of other factors before I blame Manny's contract. $20 million is a hell of a lot of money for one player, yes, but the Dodgers are not the Pirates or the Royals; they can afford it and still have more than enough left to fill out the rest of their roster.

The punchline to this is two-fold:

One, your owner has no idea if his ex-wife is going to take him for everything he owns, including the Dodgers, which is never good for front office operations at any level - PR, player personnel, operations, anything.

Two, it was a very weak free agent class this season. The biggest names were Holliday and Bay; between his agent and between the Cardinals being willing to bid against themselves and overpay drastically for purposes of showing the fans that they're "willing to spend money and be competitive", Holliday was never going anywhere and after the Mets' disaster of a 2009 season - "wow, did we really just open a $900 million ballpark with 70 wins and most of our money players on the disabled list?" - they were equally determined to make a splash.

And even if neither of those were the case, the Dodgers didn't need an expensive left fielder - they have one already, as you noted. The rest of the free agent crop after that ranged from mediocre to sort of terrible.

I would go as far as to say the Dodgers didn't need a huge offseason. They're set with parts ranging from serviceable to quality at all three outfield spots, first base, shortstop, third base, catcher, 4/5 of the rotation and the back end of the bullpen, and in a division that includes a legitimate clunker in San Diego, what will likely end up an also-ran in Arizona and a could-go-either-way team in San Francisco, they will have no problem competing at the very least.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Ichirwooooo! That was a hell of a catch he made.

Also, only 11 days until opening day. Go get your peanuts and crackerjacks, so you do have time to get back. Baseball season is almost upon us.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

No finer day on the calendar than MLB Opening Day. Should be a national holiday.

-----
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    No finer day on the calendar than MLB Opening Day. Should be a national holiday.
    I agree completely. I wish I had classes off, alas I don't and as such I can't go to Opening Day for the Pirates. Though I will get chances to go to many other games, wish I could go to Opening Day.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

I love the Yankees
    www.skarmbliss.com

for all your VGC needs

I love the Yankees

My favorite player is A ROD I hope he hits 50 home runs
    www.skarmbliss.com

for all your VGC needs

Quote Originally Posted by [MSankey] BlueCookies View Post
    I hope he hits 50 home runs
    Sitting at 25 with 9 games to play?
    Last edited by BCVM22; 21st September 2010 at 6:29 AM.

-----
    Words to|live by

Default MLB Baseball Thread

Okay Game 1 of the Phillies recently concluded. Roy Halladay is beast. People are arguing if the game is considered to be a no hitter, Post show seems to be considering it as a no hitter. Yankees vs. Twins is about to start, the Rangers won there game against the Rays. Lets Discuss the 2010 MLB Playoffs.

I am a phillies Fan been one since I was a baby, born and raised 20 minutes away from south Philly. Lets Go Phillies.

Current Playoff Bracket
    Division Series
    Rangers vs Rays (1-0) Game 2 10/7
    Phillies vs. Reds (1-0) Game 2 10/8
    Yankess vs Twins (Playing) Game 2 10/7
    Braves vs Giants () Game 1 10/7
    Last edited by Heldigunner1; 7th October 2010 at 1:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heldigunner1 View Post
    People are arguing if the game is considered to be a no hitter.
    Who the f*** is arguing this?

-----
    Words to|live by

MN Twins are playing soon!

We Got our spot really early in the season.

WoOoOOoo GO TWINS
    Es so Einfach wie Eins, Zwei, Drei.

There a quite a few arguing and alot who are unsure it is is considered to be a no hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Heldigunner1 View Post
    There a quite a few arguing and alot who are unsure it is is considered to be a no hitter.
    And if any of these people are serious and/or consider themselves baseball fans, then those people are idiots. Flat out. No one who has any business discussing baseball would be "arguing" at all. And you can tell any and all of them I said that.

Nine innings without allowing a hit is a no-hitter. Roy Halladay pitched nine innings without allowing a hit. There is zero ambiguity about this. Zero. None.

What in all goddamn hell are these people you mention arguing about? What possible ambiguity is there?
    Last edited by BCVM22; 7th October 2010 at 1:38 AM.

-----
    Words to|live by

I don't disagree with anything your saying. I claim it no be a no hitter. But people are arguing because of the walk.

That...

That's insane. That's the definition of a no-hitter. No hits. Hence "no hitter", from the old Latin term no-hitter, meaning "no hits". A pitcher can give up walks and hit batsmen and batters can even reach by error and guess what? It's still a no-hitter. It's about as literal as you can get. Edwin Jackson pitched a no-hitter in June and he allowed eight batters to reach base by way of the walk and a ninth on a hit by pitch, and no, that is not a typo: he pitched a no-hitter while still allowing nine baserunners.

Tell anyone and everyone who says "he walked a guy, it's not a no-hitter" that they are never, ever allowed to even think about talking baseball again. Ever. And I'm coming after them if they do.

-----
    Words to|live by

Most people are know agreeing that it is a no hitter. Took a little work but minds are changing.

Minds shouldn't have had to be changed in the first place. I stand by it.

-----
    Words to|live by

Moved this thread to Entertainment. Also changed it to a general Baseball thread since we don't have one (why didn't we have one before?)

[bleep]

Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    why didn't we have one before?
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=436312

We did. It lay dormant from Opening Day to September, when some schmoe double post-bumped it, stating their desire for A-Rod to hit 25 more home runs in 9 remaining games.

Yankees fans. Go figure.

-----
    Words to|live by

Honk. Dunno how I didn't see it. Merged threads, thanks.

[bleep]

Minds shouldn't have had to be changed in the first place. I stand by it.
    Quoted for the bloody pine-tar-smeared truth. Any dimwits who were questioning it probably have just heard, in the past, some of what's necessary for a perfect game and just confused it with what's necessary for a no-hitter or something like that. Screwballs.

I watched the whole thing, and as much as I hate hate hate the Phillies (for 2008), I have to give all props to Halladay. Man can pitch. Wish my team had a batter-killer like that...

Hi, die-hard Brewers fan here. (/cries) Had really high hopes for Milwaukee this season. Oh, well. I got to be at the ballpark for Trevor Hoffman's 600th save, so it wasn't all teeth-gnashing for me this season. Don't know how much else of the postseason I'm going to watch--special acid for the Yankees and Phillies, but I hate pretty much every team in it but the Rays...

...this is gonna be a long wait to February.

May you be waiting for me in the next Gen and forevermore.
    These are my babies. Be kind to them.

Not really surprised that Zito didn't make the 25-man Giants roster for the post-season. Not like it matters anyway, since he admitted that he didn't deserve to be a part of the lineup anyway.

(I remember reading somewhere that he could be traded to Seattle in the off-season, but I don't know if this is true, but someone can clarify this for me.)

EDIT: Giants shut out the Braves. Timmy gets 14 K's...way to go.
    Last edited by Lord Scalgon; 8th October 2010 at 5:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Scalgon View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that he could be traded to Seattle in the off-season, but I don't know if this is true, but someone can clarify this for me.
    Making a questionable trade for a mediocre pitcher being paid waaaaaaaaay, waaaaaaay too much?

Sounds like a Mariner move to me.

-----
    Words to|live by

Sounds like a Mariner move to me.
    Well, the Mariners are doing whatever they can to at least earn a decent season record for many seasons to come. Even with Ichiro, it's just not helping at all.

Roy Halladay's no hitter was pretty cool. I've seen both his best games, the Perfect Game and the no hitter. I hope the Phillies make it to the World Series this year, but I'm predicting that they will lose to the Giants in the NLCS (if they get there).
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Page 2 of 117 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast