Page 34 of 117 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Baseball Thread

I'm surprised the Rays have that many games in which they scored at least 5 runs. Before September, it felt like they had trouble scoring 3 runs.
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

Quote Originally Posted by sceptile33 View Post
    I'm surprised the Rays have that many games in which they scored at least 5 runs. Before September, it felt like they had trouble scoring 3 runs.
    No kidding. The pitching has been so amazing this year it has been able to overcome the offense.

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

At least the Rays are making the race for the Wild Card more entertaining. The same with the Cardinals in the National League.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    At least the Rays are making the race for the Wild Card more entertaining. The same with the Cardinals in the National League.
    Its gonna be about as entertaining as baseball gets this weekend, rays have a 3 game series with the Sox.

I'd love to see the Red Sox miss the playoffs. All the talk before the season about how great they are...

Credit to zhanton
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    omg Larry is on! i can now sleep in peace knowing he is ok!

Grrrrr........I hate playing last place teams this late in the season. Darn spoilers.

red sox fans can breathe a sigh of relief. Rays choked BIG TIME tonight. 4 back now. First time a regular season baseball game has drove me to the verge of tears. Gonna make me sick watching the Sox in the playoffs.
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 14th September 2011 at 2:51 AM.

So... don't watch?

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    So... don't watch?
    I probably won't. I'm a sore loser like that :P Seeing the rays cut it this close and then lose to the O's rips the heart out. If I had Showalter in a room right now I would probably knock his lights out
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 14th September 2011 at 3:02 AM.

First Jerry Meals. Now Sam Holbrook. Which ump will screw the Buccos next?

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    I probably won't. I'm a sore loser like that :P Seeing the rays cut it this close and then lose to the O's rips the heart out. If I had Showalter in a room right now I would probably knock his lights out
    I'm a cubs fan so I know how you feel lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Phillies still have the best record.
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/r2uyd0.png[/IMG]

Credit goes to Mew_!

Quote Originally Posted by leafstormfire View Post
    Phillies still have the best record.
    Not hard to do when they have that rotation, it would be even more impressive if most of the rotation was not from free agents and trades.

it would be even more impressive if most of the rotation was not from free agents and trades.
    Why would that be? Particularly the trades part.

-----
    Words to|live by

Why would that be? Particularly the trades part.
    Maybe I shouldn't have said trades, now that I think about it that implies they have a good farm system, which they do.

Cliff Lee and Halladay were free agents though.

You know me, I have a real problem with multiple high priced free agents being signed by one team in one season. I guess its the little man syndrome or something, I don't like them because my team could never afford them without gutting the farm system or breaking the bank. Only way the Rays could get one of those two would be at the trade deadline, and then it would only be for half a season

But hey, we lost half the team to free agency this past offseason and we are still giving the red sox fits at the end of the year, and even in the race, so that is something to be proud of.
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 16th September 2011 at 4:26 AM.

Cliff Lee and Halladay were free agents though.
    They nearly traded for Halladay a season before signing him. He was going to leave Toronto one way or another without question.

Furthermore, Lee was initially traded away for payroll reasons when Halladay was brought in, showing that even the biggest payrolls do have to be tended to on occasion.

You know me, I have a real problem with multiple high priced free agents being signed by one team in one season.
    And we've discussed why this is, by and large, too narrow a view, aye?

-----
    Words to|live by

They nearly traded for Halladay a season before signing him. He was going to leave Toronto one way or another without question.

Furthermore, Lee was initially traded away for payroll reasons when Halladay was brought in, showing that even the biggest payrolls do have to be tended to on occasion.

And we've discussed why this is, by and large, too narrow a view, aye?
    But its not completely false, and it makes me feel better

But its not completely false
    No, for the most part it is.

-----
    Words to|live by

well, i want to ask a question, big serires on boston between the rays and red sox, sox have a 4 game lead, so my question is, who wins the wild card/al east

i say the yanks can hold them off for the al title, and that if tampa could pitch well these last few weeks, they can upset the dream team red sox, though if the sox are healthy and people like gonzo and crawford bring there A-game, they got it

So, lets discuss

I chase the dream, not the competition.

^ They have a three game lead on the Rays.

The last remaining games for the Red Sox are the Rays (3) at home, the Orioles (7) with them at home for the first four and on the road for the last three, and the Yankees (3) on the road.

The Rays have the Red Sox on the road for the next three, seven games with the Yankees with four on the road and three at home, and three at home against the Blue Jays.

Besides the fact that the Rays and Red Sox are playing each other right now since the Rays need to win at least two out of the next three games with the Red Sox, the Rays are 5-6 against the Yankees and 10-5 against the Jays while the Red Sox are 11-4 against the Yankees (if it makes anyone feel better, the have split their last six games) and 8-2 against the Orioles. Judging from this, the Red Sox have the easier road ahead in terms of record against their opponents.

Red Sox have been hurting lately though (because of their pitching if I remember correctly) and have lost their last six of their last seven against the Rays. They also want that against the Yankees who are the 5th best team ion the league in terms of hitting and second in runs.

I'm still going to choose the Red Sox though because I don't really care who wins between these two. To be fair, the Angels are only four games back of the Red Sox too.

As for the Yankees holding on to the Al East: I don't know. We're pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot anyway barring some kind of collapse

I think Boston's 8-2 isn't going to mean much against the O's, just watch, the O's are going to give them a hard time. Buck has that team playing spoiler. As for the Yankees, if they run away with the division, it would not surprise me to see them rest some players, even against the Rays.

Boston is injured in more than just pitching, they played A-gon and Youk injured last night, and Youk ended up aggravating the injury. Crawford STINKS this year. They are 3-11 in September, mostly because their starting pitching is a wreck.

As for not caring who wins between the two, IMO you should care. I think the Yankees would rather see the Pitching of the Bosron than the pitching of the Rays. Yeah boston can score runs, but look what happens when they run up against good pitching, their run production is a full run and a half per game lower against the Rays staff.

We'll see, its still a long shot for the Rays, but they have a chance.

Even if they don't make it, I am so proud to be a fan of this team this year. Who would have thought that with all they lost in the offseason they would still be in a position to challenge the Red Sox?
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 16th September 2011 at 2:54 PM.

I think Boston's 8-2 isn't going to mean much against the O's, just watch, the O's are going to give them a hard time.
    I'd rather have evidence to support what I claim rather than "just watch, the O's are going to give them a hard time". The Orioles have only won one series since August. There's nothing to suggest that they'll be able take on the Red Sox.

As for not caring who wins between the two, IMO you should care. I think the Yankees would rather see the Pitching of the Bosron than the pitching of the Rays. Yeah boston can score runs, but look what happens when they run up against good pitching, their run production is a full run and a half per game lower against the Rays staff.
    I shouldn't right now. You never know what will happen during a game so I'd like to reserve judgement on who I'd like the Yankees to play when we're closer to the end of the season and when things like injuries reports are more available. I actually haven't kept up with injury reports tough.

Even if they don't make it, I am so proud to be a fan of this team this year. Who would have thought that with all they lost in the offseason they would still be in a position to challenge the Red Sox?
    People who realize that they're a good team and that the season is a marathon and is not decided in August.

Heres what I know about the Sox injuries: Youk is out tonight after aggravating his injury last night, A-gon has a sore leg, Beckett is just off the DL with an ankle injury, hopefully the rays lay down a couple bunts to try and test that ankle, not sure who else but that is the major ones.

The rest of their staff? Lackey, well lackey is Lackey, he stinks. Some kid named Weiland, Lester is the only sure thing in the rotation right now. I don't even know who the fifth starter is. Their bullpen? Francona has to do a mix and match with an 11 man bullpen, none of which, save Papelbon, have been a sure thing this year. Their offense? For all the runs they score, they sure seem to wilt when they are pitched correctly as the rays have been doing this year (10-5 against the Sox)

The postseason is not that far away, and if the Rays make it (the rays are completely healthy, farnsworth will be back after this series) they really look like the stronger team than the Sox due to their pitching (2 in era in the AL by .3, Angels are first with a 3.55, Rays 2nd with a 3.58) all they have to do is push across 4-5 runs. Here is a crazy stat for you, when scoring at least 5, the Rays are 56-7 this year. Another thing they have going for them is they aren't veteran laden like the Sox. The Soxs' old players seem to be tiring out a bit.
    But obviously, they still have to make it, which is still a long shot.

As for the last part, going into this season considering what they lost and the year Shields had had last year, I honestly expected 80-85 wins max.

Heres what I know about the Sox injuries: Youk is out tonight after aggravating his injury last night, A-gon has a sore leg, Beckett is just off the DL with an ankle injury, hopefully the rays lay down a couple bunts to try and test that ankle, not sure who else but that is the major ones.

The rest of their staff? Lackey, well lackey is Lackey, he stinks. Some kid named Weiland, Lester is the only sure thing in the rotation right now. I don't even know who the fifth starter is. Their bullpen? Francona has to do a mix and match with an 11 man bullpen, none of which, save Papelbon, have been a sure thing this year. Their offense? For all the runs they score, they sure seem to wilt when they are pitched correctly as the rays have been doing this year (10-5 against the Sox)
    Since I'm not that updated on how the players are at the moment, I'll trust your word on it until I have the time to do the proper research. It'll probably be useless by the time I get to it though.

(2 in era in the AL by .3, Angels are first with a 3.55, Rays 2nd with a 3.58) all they have to do is push across 4-5 runs. Here is a crazy stat for you, when scoring at least 5, the Rays are 56-7 this year.
    I'm surprised that you'd make a claim like beginning with "All they have to do is score" after complaining about the Rays' offense throughout the season. They don't have a winning record against any team that projected to be in the playoffs in the American League and are split with the Angels and they've been outscored by all of those teams in head-to-head matches.

As for the last part, going into this season considering what they lost and the year Shields had had last year, I honestly expected 80-85 wins max.
    During the season, they proved that they were a good team even before August.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    Since I'm not that updated on how the players are at the moment, I'll trust your word on it until I have the time to do the proper research. It'll probably be useless by the time I get to it though.

I'm surprised that you'd make a claim like beginning with "All they have to do is score" after complaining about the Rays' offense throughout the season. They don't have a winning record against any team that projected to be in the playoffs in the American League and are split with the Angels and they've been outscored by all of those teams in head-to-head matches.

During the season, they proved that they were a good team even before August.
    On the offense, watching game to game it makes it seem like we have the worst offense in the league, the reason I changed my tune is I found those stats there just recently. It appears that when they score at least 5, they have an above 800 winning percentage.

The Red Sox are currently projected to be in the playoffs, the Rays are 10-5 against them.

On the offense, watching game to game it makes it seem like we have the worst offense in the league, the reason I changed my tune is I found those stats there just recently. It appears that when they score at least 5, they have an above 800 winning percentage.
    Every team besides the Angels has scored more runs than the Rays as well as the fact that every team has a better hitting average and slugging (besides the Angels for the latter by only one point). If you're claiming that they'll have to rely on scoring runs than you might be getting your hopes up unless they get hot like the Giants.

The Red Sox are currently projected to be in the playoffs, the Rays are 10-5 against them.
    You're correct but barring a collapse by the Yankees that statistic doesn't matter since the Red Sox wouldn't even be in the playoffs.

Page 34 of 117 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast