Page 46 of 117 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2917

Thread: MLB Baseball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Should have? Based on what? They had their chances like everyone else.
    They should of tooken advantage of their opportunities. Unfortunately, the angels suck, so I cut them slack.

Not everyone had their chances. I mean - teams like the cardinals and rays had chances, but, the Orioles didn't.

Pokemon X Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by Totodile is BEAST View Post
    Not everyone had their chances. I mean - teams like the cardinals and rays had chances, but, the Orioles didn't.
    They didn't have their chances because... they were sucking throughout the whole year except September. Once again, the Orioles have a great month of September, but they still look bad for the year.

If they were average throughout the year and had a great September, they would have had a chance at the playoffs.
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

Quote Originally Posted by sceptile33 View Post
    They didn't have their chances because... they were sucking throughout the whole year except September. Once again, the Orioles have a great month of September, but they still look bad for the year.

If they were average throughout the year and had a great September, they would have had a chance at the playoffs.
    I agree. But I give them credit. They're batting order is kinda above-average-ish, but the bullpen and SP is yeck.

Pokemon X Round 2

They're just so young...

Credit to zhanton
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    omg Larry is on! i can now sleep in peace knowing he is ok!

Not really.. mark reynolds and matt wieters aren't that young.. that's the complete opposite of what they are, they're an old old team.

The angels are old-ish-young, Mark Trumbo, Peter Bourjous, but they have Toriitown and Abreu.

Pokemon X Round 2

It's got to be around Average age of 25...

Credit to zhanton

Are you kidding? Only two pitchers were born outside the 1985 border. Half of the roster is born in the 1970s.

Rays are young.

Pokemon X Round 2

hmm
    10char.

Credit to zhanton

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    hmm
    10char.
    I count 8 out of 40 players over the age of 40 with an average age of 27.2. This round goes to Larry. *ding ding*
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

At the start of the seaon I personally thought the Red Sox were overrated.
    Why? The Red Sox are a great team. Their players are talented, the pitchers they had were pretty good (save for Lackey I suppose though he did have a respectable 2010), and their manager is great. There was no reason to think they were overrated at the time especially since there were no injuries at the time either.

Quote Originally Posted by Money902 View Post
    Since you are a Yankees fan, that's not surprising. I guess you were right, however, as they didn't even make the playoffs. WTF Boston.
    Not making the playoffs doesn't make you a bad team especially if a team plays in the AL East where a good team won't make it in anyway.

That and I didn't think adding the players they did would make them a dominant team.
    They were a dominant team throughout most of the season. Sure they didn't make it into the playoffs but they have the fifth best record in the American League even with their dismal September.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I didn't say the Red Sox were a bad team, I was saying I guess he was right that the Red Sox were overrated.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Money902 View Post
    I didn't say the Red Sox were a bad team, I was saying I guess he was right that the Red Sox were overrated.
    They weren't. 90 wins, had pitching depth before injuries, have power hitters (some who also were injured), and a great manager in Francona. They are one of the better teams in baseball when healthy with their leaders there as well. They just had injuries to players and ended up choking.

It was more of the Rays doing much better than expected.

Credit to zhanton

Matt Moore starting game one against CJ Wilson. This is either brilliant or it will blow up in Maddon's face

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    They weren't. 90 wins, had pitching depth before injuries, have power hitters (some who also were injured), and a great manager in Francona. They are one of the better teams in baseball when healthy with their leaders there as well. They just had injuries to players and ended up choking.
    ESPN was slating the 2011 Red Sox to become the best in team history, or something close to that. Most thought they would win the division tile.

They weren't as good as people thought they would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    Matt Moore starting game one against CJ Wilson. This is either brilliant or it will blow up in Maddon's face
    For some reason, I feel good about that. Moore's game against the Yanks was dominant, and I feel he'll go a little further this time.
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

er hem
    Youngest team in baseball

Pokemon X Round 2

A lot has been made about the _ game leads that were lost in the wild card in September. Does anyone know what the odds were of the Cardinals and Rays making the playoffs were at the beginning of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    I've seen better ideas for the lead in line, such as "What if I told you one year there was a race out of the playoffs?"
    Yeah, that would be a good line too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    (fyi I think the Rangers win in 5)
    *gasp*

After what happened for the Rays and Cardinals to get in, I'll expect them to advance until they're 100% dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    Why? The Red Sox are a great team. Their players are talented, the pitchers they had were pretty good (save for Lackey I suppose though he did have a respectable 2010), and their manager is great. There was no reason to think they were overrated at the time especially since there were no injuries at the time either.
    I've generally found that statement true, so I'm surprised to hear rumors the Red Sox may be letting him go. If that's true, it seems like a bit of an overreaction. It's really the September that's the problem, and it seems to me that you couldn't blame all that on him (although I may be undervaluing a manager).
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

I find all the rumors about the BoSox letting Francona go ridiculous. They brought you your first two championships in almost 90 years, so I think that makes up for missing the playoffs once.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by sceptile33 View Post
    ESPN was slating the 2011 Red Sox to become the best in team history, or something close to that. Most thought they would win the division tile.

They weren't as good as people thought they would be.
    That usually happens when a team gets as many good players as the Red Sox did and it's usually ESPN that does that hyping. It was just ESPN's hype machine to get more focus on themselves because no rational person would think that they were going to better than some of the more historic teams.

If anything, they didn't live up to ESPN's hype standards. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/previe...=11expertpicks I guess your point still stands about them not living up to the hype they generated though.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicPsycho View Post
    A lot has been made about the _ game leads that were lost in the wild card in September. Does anyone know what the odds were of the Cardinals and Rays making the playoffs were at the beginning of the month.
    Tampa Bay Rays

St. Louis Cardinals

I've generally found that statement true, so I'm surprised to hear rumors the Red Sox may be letting him go. If that's true, it seems like a bit of an overreaction. It's really the September that's the problem, and it seems to me that you couldn't blame all that on him (although I may be undervaluing a manager).
    Quote Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
    I find all the rumors about the BoSox letting Francona go ridiculous. They brought you your first two championships in almost 90 years, so I think that makes up for missing the playoffs once.
    Sources are saying that Francona is asking the Red Sox to pick up the option for more years. He's been there for eight years too. I would keep him if I were running the place but at some point a manager has to leave the team.

Oh right. Predictions: Match: Winner (how confident I feel that they are going to win)

Rays vs. Rangers: Rangers (85%)
    Tigers vs. Yankees: Yankees (70%)
    Phillies vs. Cardinals: Phillies (99%)
    Diamondbacks vs. Brewers: Diamondbacks (51%)
    Last edited by Vernikova; 30th September 2011 at 4:56 PM.

those odds are about where I feel on the Rays. Rangers had the chance to rest and set up their pitching the way they wanted. We are throwing a rookie (although an amazing one) out in game one.

The Rays have already given me my fondest memory in baseball (yes above the 08 run) this year, so anything this team does in the postseason is a cherry on top
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 30th September 2011 at 5:22 PM.

My predictions: (How confident I feel that a team is going to win)

Rangers vs. Rays (80%)
    Yankees vs. Tigers (70%)
    Phillies vs. Cardinals (95%)
    Brewers vs. D-Backs (65%)

Matt Moore will start for TB. Earlier I was watching him pitch for AA Montgomery only three months ago (he threw a no-hitter as well). Unreal.

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    Matt Moore will start for TB. Earlier I was watching him pitch for AA Montgomery only three months ago (he threw a no-hitter as well). Unreal.
    I really don't know what to expect from him. I do know that he throws an easy 95-98. His delivery is really, really smooth.

IMO he will eventually be our best pitcher.

btw
    Salaries of the Playoff teams
    Yankees $202 million
    Phillies $172 million
    Tigers $105 million
    Cardinals 105 million
    Rangers $92 million
    Brewers $85 million
    Rays $41 million

Pretty amazing that the Rays keep managing to get into the playoffs. I would argue that the "real" Moneyball story is in Tampa (saw moneyball last night and loved it though) Freidman has taken the Beane idea and improved it.

EDIT: WHOOOOOOO Dad just called me and surprised me with tickets to monday!
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 30th September 2011 at 9:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
    By no means did he have a bad season.

Credit to zhanton

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian
    EDIT: WHOOOOOOO Dad just called me and surprised me with tickets to monday!
    Lucky! I've never been to a baseball playoff game. I did have tickets to Roy Halladay's no-hitter... but I had a water polo game that was reschuduled for that day. If only...

Page 46 of 117 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast