Page 50 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 2917

Thread: MLB Baseball Thread

Then what's the point of signing Martinez if your primary DH should be Ordonez?

Pokemon X Round 2

Great sixth inning so far for the Brewers. Looks like they are going to win.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Totodile is BEAST View Post
    Then what's the point of signing Martinez if your primary DH should be Ordonez?
    Martinez was signed as a part-time catcher, part-time DH, while Ordonez was intended to play most of the time in right field. Then Alex Avila started hitting (and hitting well) and they realized Magglio is sort of old, so they said "eh, this works".
    Last edited by BCVM22; 3rd October 2011 at 1:25 AM.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Ordonez used to be a beast. Now Martinez doesn't catch at all.

Pokemon X Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by Money902 View Post
    Great sixth inning so far for the Brewers. Looks like they are going to win.
    If they do, that's a second win for them. Phillies playing in an hour.
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/r2uyd0.png[/IMG]

Credit goes to Mew_!

^Don't point the obvious.

Braun and Fielders a beast.

Pokemon X Round 2

Ordonez used to be a beast.
    Yes, and then he got old and oft-injured. It happens to players.

Now Martinez doesn't catch at all.
    Because it benefits them more to catch Avila and DH Martinez most of the time. Martinez's bat is able to stay in the lineup and get more PAs than he would as the starting catcher, and fresh PAs at that, given that he isn't enduring the wear and tear that a full-time catcher does over the course of the season.

Victor Martinez had 595 PAs this season and drove in 103 runs. Likely neither half of that would have been the case if he were catching full-time, in part because he wouldn't be in the lineup every day and in part because Victor is not a young man anymore as pro athletes go and he likely would not have stayed quite as fresh over the course of the season.

Meanwhile, they benefit further from Avila's better defense and perhaps surprising bat in the lineup 5 out of 7 days each week. And while all that's going on, they start Ordonez in right field and get him three, maybe four ABs in a game, and then replace him with a defensive player. All in all, I'd say it's worked for them so far, aye?

-----
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Yes, and then he got old and oft-injured. It happens to players.
    Like what happened to Vladdeh Gurerero.

Because it benefits them more to catch Avila and DH Martinez most of the time. Martinez's bat is able to stay in the lineup and get more PAs than he would as the starting catcher, and fresh PAs at that, given that he isn't enduring the wear and tear that a full-time catcher does over the course of the season.

Victor Martinez had 595 PAs this season and drove in 103 runs. Likely neither half of that would have been the case if he were catching full-time, in part because he wouldn't be in the lineup every day and in part because Victor is not a young man anymore as pro athletes go and he likely would not have stayed quite as fresh over the course of the season.

Meanwhile, they benefit further from Avila's better defense and perhaps surprising bat in the lineup 5 out of 7 days each week. And while all that's going on, they start Ordonez in right field and get him three, maybe four ABs in a game, and then replace him with a defensive player. All in all, I'd say it's worked for them so far, aye?
    True, I see that Victor's bat could stay more alive, and hang in the 5 spot when he's sitting on the bench but what's the point to add the extra payroll? This year's offseason - Reyes, Fielder, Pujols, I mean why not? I don't even know a shortstop on that team, and Reyes could benefit them instead of Austin Jackson leading of daily, and he isn't that great of a lead-off hitter, in fact they should of batted him 7th. It would be a smart move to add him.

Meanwhile, Boston would be much better with da-vic catching daily.

Pokemon X Round 2

but what's the point to add the extra payroll?
    You're not sure what the point was to adding a potential-100 RBI bat to the roster?

This year's offseason - Reyes, Fielder, Pujols, I mean why not?
    They have Jhonny Peralta at short - he does play there regardless of whether you are aware of him or not - which likely discounts their interest in Reyes on the practical level. At first base, they have a young man by the name of Miguel Cabrera who can hit a little bit, which for the most part eliminates them at the practical level for Pujols and Fielder. And that's putting aside the fact that you're not going to draw a top-flight free agent like any of those three to Detroit. You just aren't. Sorry. And a top-flight free agent first baseman who is still in his physical prime and looking for a contract that is both financially immense and long enough that it will very likely carry him for the better part of the next decade certainly isn't going to come to Detroit to DH.

On the financial level, Victor Martinez's contract is four years, $50 million, with a tidy breakdown of $12/$13/$13/$12 mil over the four years. That is likely less than half of what Pujols and Fielder will command, and don't think the Tigers don't know every bit of that. There was absolutely no reason for them not to add a quality piece to the lineup last offseason, simply in the name of waiting for big free agents that they were never going to get. Plenty of NBA teams tried that in the summer of 2010; ask them how that worked out for all but one of them. And one better, there was no reason to do so when they have Miguel Cabrera at first already.

It would be a smart move to add him.
    No, not really, because they don't have an open spot to play him and they don't quite have the financial resources for him. That you've broken it down and arrived at the conclusion - a conclusion based on you not being able to name the Tigers shortshop, despite the fact that he does exist, and based on you forgetting that they have a first baseman who is every bit the offensive equal of Fielder and Pujols, I remind you - does not make it a feasible move at all.

Meanwhile, Boston would be much better with da-vic catching daily.
    Not really. He was never a very good defensive catcher even as a younger man, and he certainly hasn't gotten any better since. Furthermore, we've just established what the benefit was to him DHing most of the season, a benefit that would be gone completely if he were catching full-time, whether it be for Boston or Detroit.

-----
    Words to|live by

Aww, yeah. Even though l was born in dublin, l came to america in philadelphia, therefore l love the phillies. I was so glad when l saw they beat the cardinals, sadly im not confident they will make it to the world series, seeing as Roy Oswalt has crippled this year and there big 4 is a big 3 with Vance Worley.

I'm not sure not having Roy Oswalt is going to hurt with Roy Halliday and Cliff Lee

Credit to zhanton
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    omg Larry is on! i can now sleep in peace knowing he is ok!

Quote Originally Posted by chellochello View Post
    Aww, yeah. Even though l was born in dublin, l came to america in philadelphia, therefore l love the phillies. I was so glad when l saw they beat the cardinals, sadly im not confident they will make it to the world series, seeing as Roy Oswalt has crippled this year and there big 4 is a big 3 with Vance Worley.
    Anyone but the Yankees win, and I will be happy.

Cliff Lee and Halladay are enough to get Philly there IMO

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Cliff Lee was enough to get the Rangers there last year.

Credit to zhanton

Well, this is excluding Halladay and Lee (Lee for NL 2011 Cy young FTW!!!!) but the thing about roy oswalt is, when we got him, he was so dominant and composed, and know he is plagued by injuries, as well as Joe Blanton, but l think he should've been in the bullpen from the start

The Yankees were so close to getting Lee in the offseason.

Credit to zhanton

I know. When l woke up that morning and saw the phillies l got him l was like "Let the World Series Predictions, BEGIN!"

And for less money too. His damn family like living in Philidelphia

Credit to zhanton

Yeah, that l found strange as well, but its probably hard living in the city, you should be able to compromise larry, you know what its like living in NY.

Where I live is alot different from NYC. Much, much smaller.

Credit to zhanton

Well, l know, but im sure you have been to the city SOMETIME in your life, and how hard it is to even move around when your visiting.

Well, l know, but im sure you have been to the city SOMETIME in your life, and how hard it is to even move around when your visiting.
    Yes it is. But Philidelphia has got to be the same way.

Credit to zhanton

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    And for less money too. His damn family like living in Philidelphia
    Yeah, that l found strange as well, but its probably hard living in the city.
    Ballplayers and their families very, very rarely live in the actual cities in which they play. That much money will buy you a very, very nice house in a very, very posh suburb within reasonable commuting distance of the ballpark.

On the rare occasions that the ballplayer and his family do elect to live in the city proper, they do so with the type of lifestyle that the money they make will get you in urban living, which is also very, very nice. Cliff Lee and his family were not hunting across Philadelphia for a three bedroom, two-and-a-half bathroom apartment with a reasonable monthly rent.

-----
    Words to|live by

Ballplayers and their families very, very rarely live in the actual cities in which they play. That much money will buy you a very, very nice house in a very, very posh suburb within reasonable commuting distance of the ballpark.

On the rare occasions that the ballplayer and his family do elect to live in the city proper, they do so with the type of lifestyle that the money they make will get you in urban living, which is also very, very nice. Cliff Lee and his family were not hunting across Philadelphia for a three bedroom, two-and-a-half bathroom apartment with a reasonable monthly rent.
    I know. But personally, l think that it would be nice to ive in the city you play ball in, alot of the yankees and mets live in NYC, derek jeter owned like 3 NYC apartments and A-Rod definatley lives there, its just a matter of taste l guess

Yeah, this is around where I live. I've heard a lot of Phillies players live in my area, but I haven't actually seen any.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

I thought that's why Cliff Lee chose Phillies. His family liked it there when he used to play for them.

Credit to zhanton

Page 50 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast