Page 84 of 117 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2917

Thread: MLB Baseball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    That's right Larry. Without getting players who are good at what they do (sans Burnett?), we don't get to the World Series. Just like . . . any other team who gets to the World Series.

true
    You get my point. Plenty of other teams do it without massive free agent spending.

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    You get my point. Plenty of other teams do it without massive free agent spending.
    And other teams do it with massive free agent spending. Will you ever stop whining about big market teams spending money?

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

And other teams do it with massive free agent spending. Will you ever stop whining about big market teams spending money?
    I have to say, it's pretty funny when a team gets hyped up by these huge signings in the offseason, and then fall flat on their face and miss the playoffs. AKA 2011 Red Sox.
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

When they spend over 100 million in a single offseason? Nope. get a salary cap like all the other sports, then I will be quiet.
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 6th February 2012 at 3:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sceptile33 View Post
    I have to say, it's pretty funny when a team gets hyped up by these huge signings in the offseason, and then fall flat on their face and miss the playoffs. AKA 2011 Red Sox.
    Yeah it is. Collapses in general are always fun to watch when it isn't your team collapsing.

When they spend over 100 million in a single offseason? Nope. get a salary cap like all the other sports, then I will be quiet.
    Don't expect that to be happening anytime soon so it would be best if you stopped whining about it. Maybe it's your bad fans and bad location.

Amuse me though: what would you set the cap at?

Not having a salary cap is part of what makes baseball special. Sure, big-market teams have an advantage. But part of baseball's magic is that a small-market team can overcome the odds the succeed. If baseball had a salary cap, then that wouldn't be as special. Also, what the players say about having a salary cap? I'm sure people like... Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, Prince Fielder, Carl Crawford, and C.C. Sabathia, to name a few, wouldn't like that too much.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
    Not having a salary cap is part of what makes baseball special. Sure, big-market teams have an advantage. But part of baseball's magic is that a small-market team can overcome the odds the succeed. If baseball had a salary cap, then that wouldn't be as special. Also, what the players say about having a salary cap? I'm sure people like... Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, Prince Fielder, Carl Crawford, and C.C. Sabathia, to name a few, wouldn't like that too much.
    Exactly the reason we need a salary cap. Sure its nice when a small market teams who have to build through the draft and smart management of limited resources takes down the big money teams who can afford to make mistakes, but those are long odds. The Rays have had a lot of things going their way lately, and it took them ten years of miserable baseball to get there.

There are plenty of stars just as big as those in other sports with a salary cap who are getting along just fine.

Yeah it is. Collapses in general are always fun to watch when it isn't your team collapsing.
    Not really for me, though. I actually felt sorry for the Braves, when their collapse was almost as bad as the Red Sox. Maybe it's division rival bias, but I just felt hilarity thinking how the Red Sox collapsed. It was probably multiplied by the media hype though.

Don't expect that to be happening anytime soon so it would be best if you stopped whining about it. Maybe it's your bad fans and bad location.
    Quite immature of you to say that because he has a different opinion than yours. I thought you were better than that, Rebecca.

Well, having a salary cap doesn't always make the competition level. Just look at the NBA.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

I've been a Padres fan since I was born. Which is dissapointing to say the least. Playoffs aren't in the near future for us

Amuse me though: what would you set the cap at?
    I would say in the neighborhood of 130-140 million would suffice.

Yankee fans really don't have don't have perspective on this. You have one of the biggest TV markets in the world to draw from, as well as one of the biggest cities. Money is never going to be a problem for you, so of course you like the current state of the MLB.

Quite immature of you to say that because he has a different opinion than yours. I thought you were better than that, Rebecca.
    Quite immature of me stating facts? I see. Tropicana Field is in a bad location? Fact. At least, that's what TheWatersGreatGuardian continually says and I'll take his word for it since he has first hand experience. Do the Rays have bad fans? Yeah. At least, that's what your attendance seems to suggest. It probably doesn't help that the stadium is in a bad location though. Right? Right.

Please don't moan at me for stating facts about the Rays.

I would say in the neighborhood of 130-140 million would suffice.
    What's your current payroll?

>Tropicana Field

I've been there while I was on vacation. The location was bad, the stadium was bad, the experience was bad, the attendance was bad, and the food was bad. The only thing good was the team itself.

>Salary Cap

Once again, many current players would cry foul at the implementation of a salary cap. Because many many contracts would have to be restructured if players were going to stay on the same teams they are right now. Professional athletes do not like making less money. And with a salary cap, that's exactly what would happen.

Quite immature of me stating facts? I see. Tropicana Field is in a bad location? Fact. At least, that's what TheWatersGreatGuardian continually says and I'll take his word for it since he has first hand experience. Do the Rays have bad fans? Yeah. At least, that's what your attendance seems to suggest. It probably doesn't help that the stadium is in a bad location though. Right? Right.

What's your current payroll?
    Sceptile, shes right, the stadium is in a terrible, terrible location. Most of the residents of St Pete are retirees. No mass transit system either. Really everything about the stadium is horrible. I never eat there I eat a fergs, and it just doesn't feel like a baseball stadium. it was built as quickly as possible to get a team here with little thought to the future.
    Another problem is the transience of the state of Flordia and the realtive youth of the Rays. spring training games were here before them so that was the only baseball in the area, people adopted those teams and for some reason refused to switch when a home team got there. There are also a ton of people here who moved from out of state who kept their home team loyalties.
    Btw our current payroll is around 60 million, up from 40 last year.

And what was the point of stating those facts? Seems to me like you simply did it to insult Rays fans. Your current discussion with TheWatersGreatGuardian had very little to do with that.

And what was the point of stating those facts? Seems to me like you simply did it to insult Rays fans. Your current discussion with TheWatersGreatGuardian had very little to do with that.
    I don't think she was being hostile. If you look at the stats, it is fairly easy to assume we have bad fans. However, the population of the tampa bay area is a stain compared to New York, and quite a bit of that population is probably from out of state and kept their home teams. Add the economy and that really skews the numbers. However, TV ratings since the rays started winning have been very high. People are paying attention.

Btw our current payroll is around 60 million, up from 40 last year.
    That seems quite low compared to the cap you set. Why would you set the cap so high?

I was simply showing why (in general) the Rays can't spend $100 million in the off-season. The Rays can't take advantage of their situation while the Yankees can. If I wanted to insult the fans, I would simply do so.

>Salary Cap

Once again, many current players would cry foul at the implementation of a salary cap. Because many many contracts would have to be restructured if players were going to stay on the same teams they are right now. Professional athletes do not like making less money. And with a salary cap, that's exactly what would happen.
    Yeah, MLB's Player's Union is too strong. It isn't going to happen for a while.

It's very simple gentleman, and lady, you kill the DH.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    It's very simple gentleman, and lady, you kill the DH.

woot21 out dawgs
    So then the Yankees' payroll goes down to the level of the Phillies' payroll (approximately). Problem solved?

That seems quite low compared to the cap you set. Why would you set the cap so high?
    Thats what I think would be realistic. (and I did not say there should be a salary floor) It would give small markets room for growth and keep the big ones from assembling super teams like they try to do every year.

For example. Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels should not all be in the same pitching staff.
    and woot, just getting rid of the DH would not do anything to solve the problem.
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 6th February 2012 at 4:35 AM.

Thats what I think would be realistic. (and I did not say there should be a salary floor) It would give small markets room for growth and keep the big ones from assembling super teams like they try to do every year.

For example. Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels should not all be in the same pitching staff.
    Hmm, with your current salary cap system, since 2002, only one team with a payroll of above $150 million has won the World Series (2009 Yankees with a lower payroll than in 2008). All other Series winners would've fit into your salary cap in a cap-less league. Interesting.
    Last edited by Vernikova; 6th February 2012 at 4:46 AM.

I don't think she was being hostile. If you look at the stats, it is fairly easy to assume we have bad fans. However, the population of the tampa bay area is a stain compared to New York, and quite a bit of that population is probably from out of state and kept their home teams. Add the economy and that really skews the numbers. However, TV ratings since the rays started winning have been very high. People are paying attention.
    I was simply showing why (in general) the Rays can't spend $100 million in the off-season. The Rays can't take advantage of their situation while the Yankees can. If I wanted to insult the fans, I would simply do so.
    If you had said the Rays don't have that many fans, I would agree with you. Calling them bad fans just doesn't sit right with me. Are the people who usually watch them on TV, go to games to see them, and call themselves Rays fans, the bad fans? The bad fans are the ones who materialize in the area and refuse to cheer for the Rays simply because they had another team to root for wherever the hell they came from.

If you had said the Rays don't have that many fans, I would agree with you. Calling them bad fans just doesn't sit right with me. Are the people who usually watch them on TV, go to games to see them, and call themselves Rays fans, the bad fans? The bad fans are the ones who materialize in the area and refuse to cheer for the Rays simply because they had another team to root for wherever the hell they came from.
    There is nothing wrong with keeping the team loyalties you were born with from out of state. Now people here who adopted teams because the Devil Rays were losers, those are bad fans.

To be quite frank, it doesn't matter whether or not what I said sat right with you. If the fanbase does not attend the games then it is a bad fanbase. simple as that. Of course there will be people who can't attend for a variety of reasons but in general the fanbase for the Rays is bad. You can debate the reason why but facts are facts. The fans don't do a good job supporting the team.

Don't take it so personally. I'm not attacking you or TheWatersGreatGuardian. I'm jut stating the facts of the matter.

So then the Yankees' payroll goes down to the level of the Phillies' payroll (approximately). Problem solved?
    Except you don't see a Prince Fielder or Albert Pujols getting a 10 year $220M contract, because no team would take that risk, when they can no longer just stick the aging slugger at DH. Which then means Howard probably doesn't get as much, which then drives everyone else down salary-wise.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

Page 84 of 117 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast