Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Triple Leaders, Team Threats! (664)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    Pikachu should never had been the fall guy at all and certainly not here. The biggest problem with the BW series was that it made Pikachu the 'fall guy' too often and in too many important battles, most disastrously in the final of the Don Tournament but also against Cameron's Lucario.

That considered, this episode is an unmitigated disaster in terms of inconsistencies and unfairness to the protagonists. First having Ash decided to challenge all three gym leaders made him look like childish and thoughtless. Especially since he won his first battle, which should have immediately entitled him to the gym badge. The terms of the challenge are you choose a gym leader and only have to beat that leader. That rule shouldn't change just because Ash wanted to battle all three. Pikachu loosing the second battle (which is utter BS) ends up reflecting poorly on both of them simply because if Ash had just simply chosen to battle Chili he would have the badge and there wouldn't have been a sudden death match between Oshawott and Pansage.

Secondly, as I've documented previously the battle between Pikachu and Panpour as BS. Pikachu is the Pokémon that can defeat a Latios and tie with a Regice. I don't care how well experienced Cress might have been dealing with electric types, Pikachu does NOT loose to weak Pokémon like Panpour and certainly not without landing a single hit. Rubbish writing designed only to glorify Oshawott and Tepig. And how exactly did Cress and Panpour become that good; They've done the same amount of training as Cilan and Chili and their partners yet both Pansage and Pansear go down to a untrained and hyperactive Oshawott (against whom it has a type advantage) and a Tepig that was dying of malnutrition only an episode previous and whom Ash had never battled with before. This is inconsistent to the point of being unbelievable.

Third, just how did Oshawott and Tepig get so strong. Tepig had a previous trainer, so it's not a stretch to consider that he probably had some battle experience, but Ash had never used him before so he didn't really know how to work with him effectively. Oshawott on the other hand is a starter who had probably never been in a battle, other than that fight with Team Rocket. How does he become so skilled as to beat a Pansage who had been a leaders Pokémon for as long as the Panpour that defeated Pikachu. It doesn't make sense.

This battle was absolutely botched. The first Gym battle should give Pikachu the spotlight. Pikachu was the best Pokémon in that gym and he got robbed here. Thank Arceus that XY is finally giving Pikachu the glory he deserves.
    Actually, no. Just because you have some assinine idea about how pikachu should get everything ever, doesnt mean he should. The first gym should be used for showing the potential of Ash's new team-members, not jerk off pikachu.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidD001 View Post
    I know that Dragons are resistant to Electric attacks but also since Noibat is a Flying-type and Flying types are weak to Electric. But even though Flying & Dragon balance eachother out against Electric attacks...it doesnt stop the fact that its still weak to Electric attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Actually, no. Just because you have some assinine idea about how pikachu should get everything ever, doesnt mean he should. The first gym should be used for showing the potential of Ash's new team-members, not jerk off pikachu.
    First of all my idea isn't asinine I've justified it. I've been saying all along I think the way XY has been written in regards to Pikachu is more or less spot on - Pikachu's battle record in XY is the best part of the series. Secondly Pikachu's had an important role in nearly every single of the first gyms that Ash has challenged since Kanto. Pikachu staring in the first gym is the most logical plot simply because at the early stages of the series Ash has barely caught or trained his new Pokémon. Simply put the first gym belongs to Pikachu because there isn't really anyone else, not when the first gym battle was the fifth episode of the series. I don't see why two Pokémon who'd never battled with Ash before should have a better run than a Pokémon who has on several occassions. The potential for Ash's other Pokémon rightfully comes later.
    Last edited by Pikachu52; Yesterday at 4:39 PM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.

Name: Ivy
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Pikachu should never had been the fall guy at all and certainly not here. The biggest problem with the BW series was that it made Pikachu the 'fall guy' too often and in too many important battles, most disastrously in the final of the Don Tournament but also against Cameron's Lucario.
    What? The only Pokemon on Ash's BW team that got close to the battle time of Pikachu was Pignite. Pikachu starred in three gyms, battled in two more, and had more wins that any of his other Pokemon in the league (including defeating Trip's fairly unstoppable Serperior). I didn't particularly like that it lost to Panpour (I'd have preferred if they'd given Pidove a battle), but trying to make out that it was constantly the fall guy or was somehow robbed of the battle is absurd.

And Pikachu's been around for over 900 episodes. It's had battle upon battle, glory moment after glory moment. Losing every so often so the Pokemon that are only around for one saga can get some screen time won't hurt it. You liking Pikachu does not mean that it "deserves" to be constantly glorified.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wind View Post
    What? The only Pokemon on Ash's BW team that got close to the battle time of Pikachu was Pignite. Pikachu starred in three gyms, battled in two more, and had more wins that any of his other Pokemon in the league (including defeating Trip's fairly unstoppable Serperior). I didn't particularly like that it lost to Panpour (I'd have preferred if they'd given Pidove a battle), but trying to make out that it was constantly the fall guy or was somehow robbed of the battle is absurd.

And Pikachu's been around for over 900 episodes. It's had battle upon battle, glory moment after glory moment. Losing every so often so the Pokemon that are only around for one saga can get some screen time won't hurt it. You liking Pikachu does not mean that it "deserves" to be constantly glorified.
    This hasn't anything to do with liking or not liking Pikachu, it's more about consistency. Even if Pikachu wasn't the constant fall guy he should never have lost the three battles I mentioned. Panpour was a joke. It is not plausible to believe a Pokémon around for 900 episodes who tied to a Latios can loose so poorly to a Panpour when a starter Oshawott and a weak Tepig, neither of which had battled with Ash before won in their battles. That fact alone made this episode one of the worst of BW in my opinion. Not simply because of Panpour but the fact that Ash asked to battle all three leaders making him look overly sure of himself and incredibly childish, which in turn reflects badly on Pikachu because his loss created the necessity for Oshawott to win the final battle. He ought to have been handed the badge after Chili. It's also worth nothing Cress's strenght was totally inconsistent thoughtout the series. The next time we saw Panpour in battle it took a one hit K.O to Morana's Glalie. BW's biggest problem was maybe not that Pikachu was the constant fall guy but he was the fall guy in places where the effect of the impact of that loss is hardest, such as in competition finals (worst being the first tournmanet where his loosing battle is his only battle) or here where he's the weak link in a chain Ash never had to create.

Also when I say Pikachu should be glorified I'm not asking for Pikachu to never loose - I've already said I highly praise the XY series for getting Pikachu right (star of most gym battles but not all, losses kept to minimum, losses not in significant battles and Pokémon lost agaisnt rematched and defeated if significant such as Lucario). Ash's battle record and competence levels in XY are generally depicting him as the competent and skilled trainer he and seem to have had positive reactions from fans. That should have been what BW was like but failed to be.
    Last edited by Pikachu52; Yesterday at 5:02 PM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.

Name: Ivy
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Ash's Unova Pokemon were weaker than Pikachu though so logically Pikachu should've out-shined them but he didn't. It was a bad decision to have him lose.

The biggest problem with the BW series was that it made Pikachu the 'fall guy' too often and in too many important battles, most disastrously in the final of the Don Tournament but also against Cameron's Lucario.
    You are seriously fooling yourself into thinking that Pikachu being a fall guy was the biggest problem to BW. You tend to disregard how plots went nowhere (Zekrom), Best Wishes Season 2 being almost useless, the anti-climax of Giovanni vs Ash, stuffing too many rivals everywhere, character arcs being wasted, Cameron being an insult to Jar Jar Binks, having an ineffective rotation, and no character development to pokemon like Snivy because of said rotation.

The battles were one of the least grating parts of the entire series.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011