Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Type Strength/Weakness Explanations

Default Pokémon Type Strength/Weakness Explanations

This topic came about a couple of months ago... meaning it's now 'dead', if you will... however, I think the topic should be refreshed here, as (imo) the prospects of it were rather interesting.

So what is your view on why some types have strength over/are weak towards specific types of Pokémon attacks? For example(s):

Fire-type attacks are 'super effective' against Grass-type Pokémon. Why?

Some forms of grass and (in general) vegetation are known to be combustible, thus making them easier to catch on fire (and potentially spread like a wildfire). In other words, you could say that grass/vegetation (in many cases) is prone to catching on fire if contact is made with it. Correlation is made because, as seen, grass/vegetation is vulnerable to fire, making Fire-type attacks, in Pokémon terms, 'super effective' against Grass-types.

Grass-type attacks are 'not very effective' against Fire-type Pokémon. Why?

With grass/vegetation being easily (again, in most cases) combustible with fire, the grass/vegetation is left in ash and debris due to consumption by the fire. Knowing that fire already has this kind of effect on grass/vegetation, correlation can be made - similar to the case above. Grass-type Pokémon's Grass-type attacks are 'not very effective' aimed at Fire-types because grass/vegetation coming in contact with fire causes it to combust and disintegrate.

There are tons of various ideas to speculate on with this (topic) subject. Have fun with it!
        Spoiler:- Mr. Apple Jacks:
    "Click Me to check out Kodama's Sprite Thread!"

"Yo, bro'! Thang is my name, the groove is my game!"

As game mechanics go, Bug is a weakness of Psychic likely because someone on staff thought it'd be ironic and and sort of funny that the weakest type be the only weakness of what was then the strongest type, and they were right. Dark's weakness to Bug is likely born of the same philosophy.

In-game, one could presume Bug is strong against Psychic because the characteristics of insects - biting, buzzing, crawling, etc. - disrupt the extreme concentration needed to use abilities of the mind.

Fighting is strong against Dark because the Fighting-type represents clean, honorable combat while the Dark-type represents dirty, underhanded tactics.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Clearly the Dark type is weak to Bug because even the most evil of villains knows that bugs are icky

Heres what I think

Flying is weak to rock because rocks can severely injure a flying beings' wings, disrupting its flight. The same can be said to ice types, the ice can probably freeze their wings, again disrupting flight.

Fighting is strong against ice, rock , and steel because the pure power of fighting breaks these elements/ objects.

Ground is strong against fire, because the ground/sand covers up the flame, reducing its intake of oxygen, therefore putting out the flame.

These are just off the top of my mind, and they're just the obvious ones.
    My Soul Silver=Terry 0775 9252 4636
    White FC= Jan 4255 3671 0525
    I RNG abuse.

Rock/ground is weak to water because the water, over time, erodes the rock away. I hope that's right.

Fighting is weak against the flying/psychic types because:
    -
    Flying: flying Pokemon spend pretty much most of their time in the air, so a fighting Pokemon will have extreme difficulty trying to reach said flying Pokemon, because said flying Pokemon can just fly to safety.
    -
    Psychic: I think because it's a whole "mind over body" type thing.

Here's a question:
    Why is ice good against the Dragon type?
    Alpha Sapphire Hoenn League champions
    * - Going mega

Claimed by me!

Dark being strong against Psychic makes sense because they really needed another type to have advantage over Psychic. Also, if you think about it, Dark is probably a reference to a dark mind having power over a clean mind like a Psychic type.
    "Your memories are connected, like links in a chain. Those same chains are what anchor us all together."
    -Naminé

Pokemon X Team - French Playthrough
    *COMPLETE*
    Amphinobi | Noctali | Mentali | Farfaduvet | Darumacho | Carchakrok
    3DS FC: 0430 - 9679 - 6068
    IGN: Micah
    Friend Safari Type: Fire
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Magmar, Ninetales, Charmeleon

Spoiler:- Credits, etc.:

Ice is stronger than dragons mainly because most of them are classified as having reptilian characteristics. And reptiles are cold blooded. (that's in a nutshell of course) The only one I really have trouble with is the dark type being stronger than ghost types. Is it possibly because dark types are aware of the tricks of ghost types and know how to counter them? Same thing with ghosts being strong against ghosts as well. Also woud poison being strong against water make sense because of poisonous substances polluting water?

Alpha Sapphire --> Arceus is the Alpha pokemon --> Arceus is a generation 4 pokemon --> Sinnoh confirmed!!

(Yeah, get used to it now, because this is what you're going to have to put up with for the next 5-7 years)

Bug, Dark, Ghost being good against Psychic is because they are common fears in people, I think.
    Fan of Pokemon Special's Yellow.

I can only come up with as to why Psychic is strong against Poison is because poison is mainly a bunch of toxic gases and liquids and Psychic powers can overpower those substances. Psychic being effective over Poison has always interested me personally.
    5th Generation 2011 Pokemon Team Under Revision

I never got why Electric was not very effective on Grass. I mean, if a plant is struck by lightning, it's gonna be obliterated.

Ground and Poison used to always confuse me, but someone once told me it had to do with dirt neutralizing acid or something.

Steel is ineffective on Water because... water rusts metal I guess?

Ice beats Dragon because they're reptiles, and therefore cannot handle the cold.

Fighting and Dark is because Fighting is associated with fighting with honor and chivalry, whereas Dark is associated with fighting dirty. This is why moves like Sucker Punch, Beat Up, Theif, etc are Dark-type moves. I would assume Fighting beats Dark to represent good triumping over evil.

A few I don't understand:
    Bug beating Dark
    Psychic beating Poison
    Bug not affecting Ghost

To be honest, a lot of type interactions are a result of trying to make the types balanced, not to be logical. If the type chart made realistic sense, Electric would beat practically everything and no physical moves would affet Ghost. The type chart would be way unbalanced, with a few times being WAY overpowered and some types being pointless.
    Last edited by Hejiru; 13th November 2010 at 1:51 AM.
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

Steel is ineffective on Water because... water rusts metal I guess?
    A hunk of steel hitting liquid....It's not gonna do much to the water.
    Fighting is strong against Dark because the Fighting-type represents clean, honorable combat while the Dark-type represents dirty, underhanded tactics.
    Which doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't dark types outsmart fighting types that way? Eh, I guess it's to make it superman-ish.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 13th November 2010 at 2:03 AM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

I guess Electric is super-effective against Water because, well, if you're swimming and lightning hits the water, well...you're dead.

Though to me, that's kind of ironic seeing if an electronic object hits the water, it's dead.

Uh, Grass beats Water because according to my sources some kinds of grass sucks up water. If that's wrong, then I guess they just chose that to complete the cycle(Water beats Fire, Fire beats Grass, Grass beats Water)

That's all for today(and probably every other day)folks!
    GAMES ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    1st Prize in Caption Contest 7/15/11
    Won a Cool Vuvuzela in Pokémon Assembler!

Currently, I have an obsession with the Litwick line's tendency for sucking souls out.
    Fan Fics Stuff!
    i love pokémon is not only on Serebii, it's now on FanFiction.net!
    Author's Profile

I always thought that dark was weak against fighting and fighting was strong against dark, because fighting types are strong, and are not afraid of the dark. On the same note, they can't hit ghosts because they'll just pass through.
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 31% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

Hmm, lets see here...

Grass beats Water/Water NVE Grass because Grass absorbs Water for nutrients. Simple as that.

Grass beats Rock/Ground because... uhh... Moss grows on Rock? Or it would sap all the important stuff out of it, turning it into sand? Idk, and Ground because all the roots of a Plant grow in the dirt, sapping all the nutrients out of it... sort of like Water.

Fire < Grass has been explained
    Bug < Grass because Bugs kill crops/eat plants
    Ice < Grass because the Cold kills plant life
    Poison < Grass because Pollution kills plant life
    Flying < Grass because... ya know, I never really thought about that one... Anybody else wanna give it a shot??
    Current 5 Gen Playthrough Progress

Spoiler:- 5 Generations of Epicness:

i always thought psychic was kind of like magic so Psychic>poison because you can remove the poison from the body with magic

Ice>ground because when soil gets cold enough it gets cracked and brittle

Grass>Water plants need water to grow

Fire> Ground theres no oxygen for fire to burn under ground.

Fire> steel because when hot enough steel can become flexible and bendy and stuff.......

Water > rock Erosion causes rocks to slowly disintegrate (Thats not the right word i don't remember the right word)

Water > ground water cleanses the dirt and soil

Grass > Ground plants absorb nutrients from the soil

Flying > grass some birds eat grass or use plants to eat I.e humming birds

Flying > Bug birds eat bugs
    Feed him

[IMG]http://i40.*******.com/2nk6wes.gif[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Some of them make perfect sense, but I've never understood why Fighting is super effective against Steel.

Anyone have any ideas?

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!
    Get your own at Pokeplushies!

Random facts about childxofxthexgrave
    childxofxthexgrave loves Black Sabbath
    childxofxthexgrave is a lesbian
    childxofxthexgrave loves things that are Latin American; food, music...women.
    childxofxthexgrave loves Pokemon
    childxofxthexgrave is a Natsume/Sabrina fangirl
    childxofxthexgrave likes referring to herself in third person

Quote Originally Posted by childxofxthexgrave View Post
    Some of them make perfect sense, but I've never understood why Fighting is super effective against Steel.

Anyone have any ideas?
    They're strong enough to break steel, thus making it super effective?
    Last edited by Agonist; 13th November 2010 at 4:24 AM.

In Fire Emblem, there are dragon weapons that are effective against dragon or dragon/wyvern-riding classes.

If Pokemon follows that same principals as Fire Emblem's, then it explains dragon moves being super-effective against dragon pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by pikadon92 View Post
    If Pokemon follows that same principals as Fire Emblem's, then it explains dragon moves being super-effective against dragon pokemon.
    There's also an explanation more feasible than using Fire Emblem as the basis, that being that with the Dragon-type as the rare but powerful type that it is, it makes sense that one of the best ways to combat it would be the type itself.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

I've always wondered why electric attacks aren't super effective against steel. Metal is a good electric conductor no? Similar to why steel is not very effective to electric. The electricity would just run through them.

And electric isn't effective against grass because, i suppose the grass and trees are anchored into the ground, therefore allowing the electric attacks to be absorbed into the ground. Though i cannot fully understand it since trees get knocked down when struck by lightning.

Magikarp! Magikarp! *splash splash*

I'm a Magikarp and proud to be one!!! Yay Magikarp

My HG team:

This sig is dedicated to all the Magikarp throughout the Pokemon universe. These are seriously misunderstood creatures. So loving and affectionate. So show some respect, coz if you don't, it'll evolve and kick your butt!!

I'd like to know why rock and steel (and fighting) are super effective against ice - the worst defensive type....

ice beats flying because some birds cannot live in cold places and moves to like africa or sumthin in the winter.

dragon beats dragon because only another dragon is strong enough to beat another dragon(except for ice,of course).

electric not so effective agajnst grass because wood(kinda related to the grass type) doesnt conduct electricity.

but what i seriosly doesnt get is why poison is not super effective against bug and flying(things that in real life easily die from poisoning) and water(you know,the whole water pollution yadda yadda.).
    Currently working on a new sig. Come back for it later.

Quote Originally Posted by murkrowrob View Post
    I'd like to know why rock and steel (and fighting) are super effective against ice - the worst defensive type....
    Well, i'd say that ice are weak to those 3 because,
    1. When you toss a rock at a huge ice figure, it would shatter.
    2. Hitting the same iced figure with a steel or metal piece would shatter it too, sort of like glass.
    3. Fighting would smash the ice as well. Imagine punching an ice bag. Yeah it would hurt, but it would also break the huge pieces of ice in it.
    So all in all, ice is like glass, it would shatter immediately when hit by something solid.

Magikarp! Magikarp! *splash splash*

I'm a Magikarp and proud to be one!!! Yay Magikarp

My HG team:

This sig is dedicated to all the Magikarp throughout the Pokemon universe. These are seriously misunderstood creatures. So loving and affectionate. So show some respect, coz if you don't, it'll evolve and kick your butt!!

I won't say the obvious ones, since they are easy to figure out.

Dragon vs Dragon: Dragons are pretty strong, so the only thing that is good enough to stop them is draons, right?

Dragon vs Ice: I'm not sure about this one. Maybe ice has a special effect on their scales.

Fighting vs Steel/Rock: They are fighting types, so they can put dents in their armor.

Fighting vs Normal: If a martial arts master came up to a normal person and punched them in the face, it would be super effective.

That's all I can really think of, but I still have no idea how to explain Psychic against Poison.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Glad to see this thread pick up some steam!

Quote Originally Posted by supernoob View Post
    but what i seriosly doesnt get is why poison is not super effective against bug and flying(things that in real life easily die from poisoning) and water(you know,the whole water pollution yadda yadda.).
    Interestingly enough, Poison was 'super effective' towards Bug-types first generation. Actually, come to think of it, Bug was 'super effective' towards Poison-types first generation, too. The reason for these changes generation two and onwards is uknown as far as I've researched; my guess is due to game mechanics (as some have mentioned already, and is an important factor to consider). I'll attempt an analysis, regardless:

Perhaps it was felt that Poison and Bug being 'super effective' against each other didn't make sense?

You have to ask yourself, "How can a Bug have the advantage over Poison, when the Bug itself is weak to the Poison?" ... and vice versa. This is different from the Dragon-types case because, as BCVM22 mentioned, Dragon Pok&#233;mon are rare and likely not familiar with their own Dragon-type attacks - unlike Bug and Poison-types which are generally common and probably used to their own type infliction. Second generation+ made Poison neutral to Bug, and Bug 'not very effective' against Poison (which can be considered more naturally logical: insects/arachnids aren't always naturally devastated by poisonous toxins, though they can still have a harmful result if absorbed (they're permeable), thus regulating neutrality; poisonous particles being potentially harmful to insects/arachnids moderates the reason as to why bugs have little effect on the toxic creatures).

What about Poison not being 'super effective' against Flying and Water-types?

I think this is a similar concept to the prior. Whilst the poison can be harmful through intake, natural devastation doesn't always occur with airborne/water dwelling organisms (making it neutral). Grass/plants/vegetation are often firm in the ground, leaving little escape for the specimen - subsequently rendering the grass/plant/vegetation helpless to ingest the poisonous material through their roots - making it 'super effective' geared at them (the Grass-type).

You might say it's the ability to at least escape some of the poison vs. lack of maneuverabilty (not to say this is always the case), resulting in high poison ingestion by the roots.
    Last edited by Kodama木魂; 13th November 2010 at 6:48 PM.
        Spoiler:- Mr. Apple Jacks:
    "Click Me to check out Kodama's Sprite Thread!"

"Yo, bro'! Thang is my name, the groove is my game!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast