Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Can't People Get It Right? Annoying Things and Pokémon

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightning View Post
    Uh, the pronounciation of Kyorgre.

It's not KIE-OH-GRR...

and Arceus isn't

AR-SEUS...
    If I'm not mistaken, those are the ways their names are pronounced in the movies they appear in. I'm at least certain the announcer in Pokemon Battle Revolution says "Ar-see-us".

It irks me when actual Pokemon fans call Electric and Steel Types "Lightning-Type" and "Metal-Type", respectively. It also irks me when people use Umbreon as an attacker; the way its stats and movepool are set up, its offensive abilities are practically useless.

I don't really run into non-fans saying/doing ridiculous things often, but if I do it doesn't really drive me insane. Naturally someone who isn't a fan wouldn't know the specifics of Pokemon.
    Last edited by .euphoria.; 15th November 2010 at 3:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Preemptively, stuff like this isn't anywhere near as egregious as people like to treat it. You've got a huge multimedia franchise that crosses several language barriers, started with a bestiary 151-strong (a number that has since ballooned to over four times that) that licenses itself out to countless different toy and other tie-in products, most of them handled by a different company each and many of them working with a pre-prepared set of very basic reference materials and without a 100% complete knowledge of every critter and every facet of the franchise.

Guess what? As much as toy companies and the like are in the business of being professional and doing things right, there's going to be the occasional slip-up in the minute details. It does happen on occasion and it's not that big of a deal when it does.
    It was the only mistake in the entire album and the album was pretty full of perfectly accurate information from the games and from the anime. That one mistake still strikes me as rather stupid. I never saw the same mistake in any other licensed material, although that doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't in any.
    Last edited by PsychedelicJellyfish; 15th November 2010 at 4:49 PM.

It's funny when things are mispronounced. I have lots of freinds who are fans that can't pronounce the easy ones. For example:

One friend says:
    Mothim = Muthrim
    Yanmega = yammuga
    chimecho = chimmacho
    scizor = skizor
    houndour = houndoor

And another thinks gardevoir is pronounced gavinoir

Quote Originally Posted by No. 1 Machop Fan View Post
    I pronounce it "Arca-nine", as did Gary in The Battle of the Badge.
    I pronounce it Ar-ca-nine...
    I have a grandmother who is always calling it "Pokemans".
    And she confuses pokemon cards with Yu-gi-oh, Digimon and Magi Nation cards. (Still cool though, lots of rare cards.)
    My Uncle calls them "Pokeman" on purpose though.

Quote Originally Posted by MeowMix View Post
    An old pal of mine believed Dialga can evolve.
    One of my cousins once called Dialga "Diamond." Because that was written on the box maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by No. 1 Machop Fan View Post
    IMO, when they do that, it's a sign that they don't care. It's similar when they call Dragonball Z "Dragon balls" or "Dragon Ball Zed", or when they refer to any Lego (or similar) buildable action figure as a Bionicle toy, even when it's not.

I personally find it annoying.
    In all fairness, "Zed" is what they say in Canada instead of "Z." As in like, when listing all the letters of the alphabet they would say "...X, Y, Zed."

Quote Originally Posted by R. New View Post
    From the Pokémon Sticker Collection. The officially licensed Pokémon Sticker Collection. I mean, come ON.
    I looked at the picture, and didn't get it at first. Similarly, the First Movie Topps tradding cards refered to Marill as "Pikablu." I do find that rather odd, because I thought that only crazy fans called it that.

Quote Originally Posted by childxofxthexgrave View Post
    I overheard a group of kids in my tech theatre class arguing over whether are not KIRBY was a Pokemon.
    Crossover anyone? I once dreamed that some Pokémon became enemies in a Kirby game.

It's not KIE-OH-GRR...

and Arceus isn't

AR-SEUS...
    Uhh...it is pronounced KIE-OH-GRR in English. There is no "R" before the "G." However, in Japanese, it is pronounced "Kai-or-ga." (No "R" after the "G.")

And AR-SEUS is arguably closer to the original Japanese than "AR-KEUS". But the Pokémon people decided to use that for the English pronunciation in the movie. I'm not terribly worried either way.

Quote Originally Posted by murkrowrob View Post
    It's funny when things are mispronounced. I have lots of freinds who are fans that can't pronounce the easy ones. For example:

One friend says:
    Mothim = Muthrim
    Yanmega = yammuga
    chimecho = chimmacho
    scizor = skizor
    houndour = houndoor

And another thinks gardevoir is pronounced gavinoir
    I had some friends who were sorta like that. The best example: They called Larvitar "Lavender." Where did that come from? I do suspect they were a bit dyslexic, but it still sounded...weird.

Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

dude.
    my cousins a pokefan (ihave said that many times yes),and even though hes good at it he keeps making mistakes! its annoying,cause hes the only one i can talk to about pokemon(xept my brother a little,but hes a noob).
    he doesnt care about speciall attack and attack
    he forgets even the easiest weaknesses and resistances.one time he thought that electric attacks didint effect fighting types.
    he keeps calling electivire electrebet.yea you read right.
    i know hes only nine years old,but hes driving me crazy.
    Currently working on a new sig. Come back for it later.

I actually dont find those things to be annoying at all. most people dont play pokemon so why should they know that much about it?
    Black: 0389 7985 8218
    I claimed ~Tropius~

One of the OFFICIAL Pokemon Annuals lists that Hitmonlee evolves into Hitmonchan.

I also believe it lists Farfetch'd as Doduo's pre-evolution, but I'm not entirely sure about that one :L

R.I.P Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan

Credit goes to the amazing Junpearl for the banner

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Fella View Post
    One of the OFFICIAL Pokemon Annuals lists that Hitmonlee evolves into Hitmonchan.

I also believe it lists Farfetch'd as Doduo's pre-evolution, but I'm not entirely sure about that one :L
    You just jogged my memory, and I checked and it turns out that the Pokémon sticker collection makes the Hitmon mistake as well as the Farfetch'd one I mentioned earlier. Is it possible that the sticker collection was what you were thinking of?

(This, of course, invalidates my statement in my previous post that the Farfetch'd mistake was the only mistake in the entire album. It's actually one of only two mistakes.)

- I have a friend who thinks that psychic is pronounced 'physic', as in physics. He also pronounces dialga as 'DIE-al-ga', but for all I know he could be right.
    - What really annoys me is that whenever my little sister gets a new pokemon game, she only properly trains her starter (to about level 75) and the rest of her team end up between level 20 and 40. She has yet to learn from this, and she insists that she can't avoid it because her starter is the pokemon she gets first and has therefore battled more than the others, but this is just BS.

I have claimed Relcihav!
    Okay, I know it's not real, but that's not going to stop me.
    Relcihav was made by me; no stealing. Thanks to Pingouin7 for making it transparent.

Pokedex: Basically everything except thundurus, landorus and all the unreleased BW legendaries.

The annuals do suck. That's 2002 isn't it?
    That's the same one where cleffa evolves into igglybuff on one of the puzzles.

Xatu is an electric type in one.
    Some quizzes have really easy ones like "What does Bulbasaur evolve into" and "What type of Pokemon is Torchic", followed by asking what Groudon's weight is. WTF? Slightly harder.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRy100 View Post
    - I have a friend who thinks that psychic is pronounced 'physic', as in physics. He also pronounces dialga as 'DIE-al-ga', but for all I know he could be right.
    - What really annoys me is that whenever my little sister gets a new pokemon game, she only properly trains her starter (to about level 75) and the rest of her team end up between level 20 and 40. She has yet to learn from this, and she insists that she can't avoid it because her starter is the pokemon she gets first and has therefore battled more than the others, but this is just BS.
    well, i do almost the same, but i do train a second pokemon, sometimes a third. I like my starter and the second poke better than if i train like 6 and it works + its fast
    Black: 0389 7985 8218
    I claimed ~Tropius~

- I though it was pronounced 'DIE-al-ga'.
    - I did that with my first game, Gold Version. I had to train some Pokemon to fight Red, though.

It's not KIE-OH-GRR...

and Arceus isn't

AR-SEUS...
    How are they pronounced then? Any other pronunciation seems awkward to me, so I actually pronounce them like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro123 (PG) View Post
    Some kid on my bus thinks he knows everything about Poke'mon. Once, I asked him him if he knew the recommended EV spread for the average Scizor. He didn't know anything about Scizor, but he know how to pronounce the name correctly, unlike me. (this kid thought Scizor was Bug/Flying type) And everyone wonders why I always win Poke'mon battles. -_-
    You can't really blame him for not knowing that. It's not like every Pokemon fan is into competitive battling. But the fact he thought Scizor was Bug/Flying is kinda sad.

The people who make these manual like things usually have no idea about anything about Pokemon. It's not that surprising.

On topic:

What I really hate is when there are mistakes in strategy guides. Sure, it's kinda like those mentioned above, but you'd think you wouldn't see these mistakes in a strategy guide you rely on.

Another thing that annoys me is when a person tries to prove another person wrong on something totally stupid. Like saying "it's pronounced so and so". Does it really matter? Whether you pronounce it one way or another, the other person will know what you're talking about.

My dad says "Pokemans". I know this sounds hypocritical to what I said above, but it annoys me. I don't say anything, though, because I know what he's talking about.
    3DS Friend Code: 1676-3803-7109

I claimed Raikou!

Youtube
    and deviantART

I don't get too annoyed by mispronouncing of pokemon names as i guess probably half i don't say right or go by the English dubbing of the anime.
    I do sometimes get annoyed by pokemans mainly because my family says it like that to pester me.

Claims charmander

I have a friend that thinked that some Pokémon can turn male if they're female and evolve and a cousin that thinked that pokérus was a vi´rus that increases EXP gain.

The first mistake sounds like a malapropism. "DIE-al-ga" is a pronunciation I sometimes use myself. I realize that "DEE-al-ga" is closer to the original Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    What I really hate is when there are mistakes in strategy guides. Sure, it's kinda like those mentioned above, but you'd think you wouldn't see these mistakes in a strategy guide you rely on.
    I remember a guide for R/S which explained that when you breed two Pokémon, the hatched Pokémon will have the mother's Ability. But it won't always--what they meant to say was "If you breed two different species, the father cannot pass down his Ability." The mother doesn't technically pass hers down; instead, the mother determines what species of Pokémon hatches, and Ability is determined by species.

Quote Originally Posted by torchicflame View Post
    I don't get too annoyed by mispronouncing of pokemon names as i guess probably half i don't say right or go by the English dubbing of the anime.
    Sometimes, even the English dubbing of the anime gets it wrong. "Bons-LEE" anyone? Why didn't they realize it was a Bonsai?

Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Forretress Fan View Post
    Try finding someone that can pronounce or spell Forretress correctly. It drives me insane.
    I'm actually slightly guilty of that. I tend to, on occasion, spell it Foretress.

Now, try to find someone who can correctly spell Qwilfish, on the other hand. Anywhere. I'm serious. Google "Quilfish", and it's bound to get you more hits than "Qwilfish". In fact, I should do that so I can get actual numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokémon Trainer Xande View Post
    I have a friend that thinked that some Pokémon can turn male if they're female and evolve and a cousin that thinked that pokérus was a vi´rus that increases EXP gain.
    The first one is actually true, but it only applies to one Pokemon; Azurill. Azurill are 25% male and 50% female, Marill and Azumarill are 50% either way, so half of all female Azurill will evolve into male Marill.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

mi mom always thought the series were called "pikachu" instead of pokemon D:
    "Everything will be all right in the end.
    If it's not all right, then it's not the end."

Quote Originally Posted by TheFightingPikachu View Post
    Sometimes, even the English dubbing of the anime gets it wrong. "Bons-LEE" anyone? Why didn't they realize it was a Bonsai?
    How should it be pronounced then? The first part is already playing off of Bonsai.

What annoys me is when people transcribe the Japanese wrong(it's all over serebii.net, for example Zorua is actually Zoroa/ゾロア), or give random romanizations. The names will probably be translated into something completely different, so why insist on writing Cobalon instead of Kobaruon or something? Miruhog instead of Miruhoggu... and saying the incorrect romanization is the right one.
    Looking for: An English Ditto for my Black version
    Offering: A Japanese Ditto from Black

My Pokemon Black FC: 3481 8461 8569
    My Heart Gold FC: 4512 5133 5815
    My Diamond FC: 4211 8500 2587

Quote Originally Posted by yukamina View Post
    How should it be pronounced then? The first part is already playing off of Bonsai.

What annoys me is when people transcribe the Japanese wrong(it's all over serebii.net, for example Zorua is actually Zoroa/ゾロア), or give random romanizations. The names will probably be translated into something completely different, so why insist on writing Cobalon instead of Kobaruon or something? Miruhog instead of Miruhoggu... and saying the incorrect romanization is the right one.
    Miruhog is the correct romanization. At least, that's the one that's being printed on official merchandise I've seen.

One thing that I'm sure most people would find annoying that I tend to find amusing is the fact my one young cousin seems to think every single pokemon with a red coloring and a flame somewhere on its body is a relative of charizard. Because they just GOT to be. He also tends to mistake HP for attack power on pokemon cards often which is another thing that I'm sure would annoy some people.

Made by Zabi. Thanks. : D

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    The first one is actually true, but it only applies to one Pokemon; Azurill. Azurill are 25% male and 50% female, Marill and Azumarill are 50% either way, so half of all female Azurill will evolve into male Marill.
    Oookaay. I promise you it does not work that way.

actually it does...

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

Hmm the one that gets me everytime is:

"Look! A Pokamon! I love Pokamon!"
    "I remember Pokeemon! Pokeemon was my favorite kid's show!"

=_= get it right ppl...it's pronounced Pokaymon....geez...
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Er, yes it does. Except it's one in three Azurill and not half.

I remembered just before that the thing that really irks me about Pokémon is the fact that some of the names defy any and all rules of pronunciation. The best examples are Gible and Gliscor. Apparently, Gible is pronounced GIB-ull. Every word in the English language following the formula '[vowel]ble' (e.g. able, Bible, cable, fable, Clark Gable, sable, table) is pronounced with a short vowel, so as far as I'm concerned it's GUY-bull. GUY-bull. If they wanted it to be Gibble, they should have made it Gibble.
    As for Gliscor, it's apparently pronounced GLIE-score, right? Despite the fact that you don't shoot someone with a piestol, throw a diescus, create fiescal policy, take antihiestamines, have a siester or be wiestful. GLISS-core, tyvm.

Someone, if not everyone, will think I'm being stupid, but I don't care because you know I have a point. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to read the Bibble.
    Last edited by PsychedelicJellyfish; 16th November 2010 at 3:08 AM.

We are...POKEMEN!

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast