Thread: What do you do to keep playing Pokémon?

Question What do you do to keep playing Pokémon?

First off: I may not post a lot here, but I still feel that this is one of the best ways to describe my concerns and engage the issues I discuss herein with the Pokémon community at large. This is my experience with Pokémon and a crisis I currently face.

I, as a lifelong Pokémon fan, am starting to feel like I’m losing my way. I have played almost every main series game, and every generation many times over, and I’ve run into a sort of wall with what to do next, all these years of playing behind me. Some years back, my goal was training Pokémon in my Ruby. Then, that file of 850+ hours ran out due to the internal battery, and I stopped for a year or so. Upon the release of Gen V, I came back into the game in full force, and played 10 hours a day of Black until I reached 999:59 on the time counter. From there, I felt that the GTS now enabled me to put a wholehearted attempt into my new goal of completing the Pokédex. Since then, I’ve completed the Pokédex in all the Gen V and Gen VI games.

Throughout this, I had a sort of moonshot – a final, ultimate challenge for myself: to train every fully-evolved form of every Pokémon to level 100. And, well, I did that. Almost. The last Pokémon, for sentiment’s sake, was Groudon, as Ruby is my favorite game. I caught an Adamant one in Ruby and it is currently sitting in my HeartGold, before I trade it up through Gen V into my Omega Ruby, where I will EV-train it properly. The reason it’s still sitting in my HeartGold is because that Groudon signifies the end of my supposedly final challenge. After that, I have nothing left. No goal, nothing.

I have to this point been trying to avoid this issue, by replaying almost every generation. Ruby, a different copy of Ruby, Diamond, HeartGold, White, White 2, X, and currently Emerald because I haven’t done it in a while. Upon the release of the Virtual Console Gen I games, I completed the Pokédex in all three, and rather than trading, I caught as many of the Pokémon as I could, then traded only the necessary ones, for the sole purpose of spending more time just playing.

I therefore ask you, the Pokémon community: what do you do? How do you prolong your experience with the greatest franchise in history? I want to spend more time in these worlds, with these characters and creatures that have so defined my childhood, but I am at a loss, and what a crushing loss it is. If you may indulge me for a moment: the pressures of adult life are always closing in, and Pokémon has always been the one spark, the light that shines eternally for me. It is always there, always reminding me of a simpler time. Sure, I cynically analyze any new leaks, I watch every trailer, I meticulously EV train, but that’s just my new way of experiencing Pokémon. And I would love to keep doing that, as long as I live, but this existential crisis (if I may be so bold as to call it that) is seriously weighing on me.

I would like to address that yes, we will have a new generation coming to us this November. I have no doubts GAME FREAK and Nintendo will provide another fantastic pocket-sized world for us all to fall in love with again. But, it will most likely not take me until Gen VIII comes out to fully experience Gen VII. Furthermore, November 18 is still over five months away, and even though I’m doing everything possible in Emerald, from the Regis to the Abandoned Ship, it certainly won’t take me that long. This crisis will follow me, as it may very well follow other members of the Pokémon community. Most of my friends have dropped out of Pokémon, but I see no reason to stop. Rather, I must at all costs not find a reason to stop, and I hope that the community members here might be of some assistance. I’m reaching out to one of the greatest communities on Earth, and I hope there’s someone who shares some sentiment or has ideas. Thank you for reading.
    "Whenever, wherever, and whatever happens, I will always be friends with Pokémon. Because it's fun to be with Pokémon!"

- Unnamed trainer in Sootopolis City

Im on and off. I feel bored after a few battles then switch a Pokemon game. Always happens :3

Thanks to American--Pi for this awesome banner and userbar!

Hmm... that's a very good question.

I'm not into the usual things like competitive battling, because I'm a casual player. But what keeps me coming back is actually to do with creating stuff like roleplays, fan fiction and stuff. For example, there's this really good RP I'm in over at UPNetwork that's a post-apocalyptic RPG that's really well put together and makes me think outside of the box, as well as use Pokemon I'd never thought about using before. The other thing is Shiny hunting, because there are some Pokemon I love when they look different (like Mudkip), and it's a magical experience when I find one - especially if its at the full odds!
    Latest Shiny: Charmander (X)

Current Hunts: Turtwig (Pt) | Oshawott (B2)

I completely agree with your sentiment regarding competitive battling. I put in hours and hours of gameplay, but I still consider myself inept at the huge amount of complexity that comes with it. One of my friends does some Pokémon Showdown, but the ease with which you can modify a Pokémon's stats, moves, etc. leaves it feeling really hollow for me, as opposed to the connections you develop while training in the actual main series games. I have considered shiny hunting to be the next step, and going for a Shiny Dex would certainly be another moonshot. I suppose the only thing then is how doing the Elite Four over and over compares to biking in front of the Daycare over and over. I don't know if anyone who has done both competitive battling and shiny hunting could compare them more easily.
    "Whenever, wherever, and whatever happens, I will always be friends with Pokémon. Because it's fun to be with Pokémon!"

- Unnamed trainer in Sootopolis City

Smogon battles on wifi or on showdown.

I do it for fun, never had to think twice about it.
    Discussions on forums are always serious business :3

Party Hard
    Fc Ixchen: 0559-7194-5664

Play a different game like zelda,starfox,Wow etc for a while,than go back to pokemon and just keep switching back and forth.
    When a new gen comes out, that gets wanting to play again
    restart the game. Yeah it means all of your hard work is gone (unless you use pokebank) but starting all over again is fun.

Taking a break from Serebii and Pokemon till Sun and Moon come out. I do not want to be spoiled about new Pokemon.

I go through spells. I'll play nonstop and then take a break. I'm a causal player. Normally I clock in around 90 hours. I had a bad habit of getting to Elite Four then restarting my game due to boredom. I hate grinding. Ever since gen 5 I have beaten my files (I consider a game beaten after becoming champion). Currently what's keeping me going back to my AS file is completing the regional pokedex. I have over 200 hours in that game as a right now. I'm quite proud of myself.
    Currently completing my Living Dex!

I treat Pokémon like I do every other game.

When I feel like playing it, I do. When I don't, I don't. Just because your interest dwindles for a while, doesn't mean your love for the series has died. I haven't played my Omega Ruby in a couple of months, but you best believe when Sun and Moon comes out, I will be on it like white on a shoe.
    CLICK IMAGE FOR QR CODE!

Please leave feedback on my gyms via PM, if you'd like. I want to make sure people are truly enjoying them.

For 3 reasons
    1.its addictive
    2.its fun,and mind brushing
    3.its been my comfort and solace for as long as i can remember

The gameplay and especially the battle system. It's very deep and a lot of fun. I can go on and on about the battle system and how good and deep it is.

I also like training pokemon. It feels like raising your own personal pet. When I sweep the floor with my carefully raised level 100 uber-mon, I feel happy.
    Last edited by Red Pheonix; 10th June 2016 at 11:24 AM.

If you get bored with playing Pokemon, there is no harm in playing other games until Sun/Moon gets released. Given I have no interest with tackling the Battle Maison or playing competitively, I have being occupying my time with a Roselia MM hunt on Y, Super Smash Bros for 3DS, Pokemon Shuffle, Yo-Kai Watch and Yo-Kai Watch Wibble Wobble.

Credit to Brutaka for the awesome banner!
    I have claimed Drapion and Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles.

I usually train a lot of Pokémon. I actually kind of enjoy grinding, it can feel addicting. I also go to the Battle Facilities and try to get a record win streak. I might even do extra features like Amie, Contests, etc. I will even play multiple games to complete the Pokédex. I will also play spin off games like Trozei, Conquest, Puzzle Challenge, Mystery Dungeon, etc. and I will play those if I want a Pokémon game with different gameplay.

I do lockes.
    I have a copy of Y which I am trying to fill with a living pokedex, and a copy of Alpha Sapphire on which I am trying to do the same, but I'm not really actively pursuing that goal.

Then I have a copy of X and a copy of Omega Ruby, on which I play through the region doing lockes. Currently I am in the middle of a standard Nuzlocke in Omega Ruby and a Wonderlocke in X. Both methods are actually great ways to train pokemon that you don't normally use. Thanks to Bank, once a Locke is over, I can store the pokemon and, when I'm ready, I can start a new game.

For both games this is the second Locke I have done this year. Earlier in the year an X Wonderlocke saw me scrape a win with a Goodra, Espeon, Lopunny and Serperior while an Omega Ruby Wonderlock saw me using Steelix, Glaceon, Dustox, Pidgeot and Electrode.
    Personally, I have never actually bothered using Lopunny, Electrode or Dustox as a part of an in-game team before this, while I hadn't used a Steelix in an in-game team since Pearl, so doing those Wonderlockes was a great way to learn about pokemon I either hadn't learnt to use before, and to get re-acquainted with a few old favourites.

Another challenge I sometimes do is a mono-type run. You really have to plan it out and be prepared to work hard - if you do a fire type lock in Hoenn, you're going to be relying on just your Torchic/Combusken for a really long time while getting water types in some games can be tricky until you get the good rod (In Kanto, buying that Magikarp in the Pokemon Centre outside Mt Moon usually ends up being a good idea, even if you really have to commit a lot of time to training it) - but as with Lockes, a mono-type run is a great way to get better acquainted with pokemon you might not normally use.
    Yellow League Champions

Zappy Charlie Cabbage Leonardo Penelope Chuck

Blue [Monotype Poison] 3rd Badge
    Cabbage Jr Hornet Elizabeth Bathilda

I honestly never get bored with Pokemon! I'm not even kidding! Nowadays I shiny hunt, so that keeps me playing, especially after I beat the story in a Pokemon game.

I've been taking a break from Pokemon recently because of other games, not because I'm bored of Pokemon. :P
    Happy 20th Anniversary Pokemon!

My 3DS Friend Code: 1693 1038 1902

I'm a casual player when it comes to Pokemon. The competitive scene has never really interested me.

That said, I usually play the games because of the hype. Once that pretty much dies down, I put the game down and leave it until I feel like opening it again or if a see an event I want. I'd love to be able to do nuzlockes, but with only one of the games from the pair, it's a little difficult to do nuzlockes unless I delete my save data, which I don't particularly want to do.