Thread: Is Pokemon Getting More Popular?

Cool Is Pokemon Getting More Popular?

I've just noticed really since X and Y (both the games and the anime) came out that Pokemon seems to be getting more popular in the US and UK (I live in the latter) :3

Like, I remember going into ToysRUs when Black and White was out and there being like one Pikachu plush and maybe like 3 Poke Ball toys in this tiny section that was just for miscellaneous toys, but I went in recently and now they have this pretty reasonable section and all these figures and playsets and stuff which is interesting

In the US there's the toys in Happy Meals now which hasn't been done in a while, to my knowledge, and I've even seen more kids walking around with the games or merchandise

I don't know, am I just noticing this now or is it really getting more popular, and have you guys noticed anything yourselves in your respective countries?

My Friend Code on Black 2: 4127 2896 6768
    Name: Shivu

One for you, one for you, one for you and one for 'Chu.

I know a lot of people who didn't really play before X/Y, or had stopped a while ago, and who were super excited for it and got X/Y. Some even got a 3DS just for it.

I've been playing the games since 1998, it was much more popular in the early years after Red/Blue, with the anime being on primetime TV and the trading card game being really popular. I think it's getting more popular again (after it's popularity dipped) but isn't anywhere near the same level it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Spiral View Post
    I've been playing the games since 1998, it was much more popular in the early years after Red/Blue, with the anime being on primetime TV and the trading card game being really popular. I think it's getting more popular again (after it's popularity dipped) but isn't anywhere near the same level it was.
    Oh yeah, well I don't think it'll ever be back to what it was before! XD It would be great it if it did but it's highly unlikely :3 Personally I think because the anime has gotten better in terms of story-telling and animation that that probably has something to do with it

My Friend Code on Black 2: 4127 2896 6768
    Name: Shivu

One for you, one for you, one for you and one for 'Chu.

A lot of friends on my uni course are very into Pokémon. Some of the others, who aren't really fans of the franchise, also enjoy watching or joining in on our Pokémon card game sessions in the SFX studio! We're all around 18- 25 so I suppose the nostalgia factor plays a part in it too but when X and Y came out everyone was talking about them and those who had them, all brought their 3DS' in to battle and trade with eachother!

Now I am become death,
    Destroyer of worlds.

Image credits to Northern Lights

If we look strictly at game sales, the series is still in a gradual decline...but there's definitely other factors at play there, such as the unpopularity of the 3DS as a console (compared to the DS.)

Diamond & Pearl = 17.6 million
    HGSS = 12.7
    Black & White = 15.6
    Black 2 & White 2 = 7.6
    X & Y = 14.2
    ORAS = 10.7

If we want to look at the franchise as a whole (anime, manga, merchandising, etc.)...it gets harder to say.

Well it has been out for nearly 20 years so that's two or three generations of kids. Many who were lime green screen Gameboy players back in 1997-98 have grown up, had kids of their own and probably been told it's a kids game and stopped playing. As for me, I have no kids (don't want them) and have been playing Pokemon since I was 14, in 1997. I have every game that came out with exceptions being Leaf Green, Fire Red, and Platinum. Also still have all my old systems too.

Friend Code: 1564-3276-9539, Ground safari Phanpy, Nincada, Diggersby
    Name: Ani-Mei, X name Theia, Y name Virgil
    AS name Yuna, OR name Tidus

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix12 View Post
    If we look strictly at game sales, the series is still in a gradual decline...but there's definitely other factors at play there, such as the unpopularity of the 3DS as a console (compared to the DS.)

HGSS = 12.7
    Black & White = 15.6
    Black 2 & White 2 = 7.6
    X & Y = 14.2
    ORAS = 10.7

If we want to look at the franchise as a whole (anime, manga, merchandising, etc.)...it gets harder to say.
    I don't know if we could call it a gradual decline considering it's fluctuating up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
    I don't know if we could call it a gradual decline considering it's fluctuating up and down.
    It's expected that start-of-a-brand-new-generation games will sell more than remakes or third versions/sequels, though. Maybe I should've organized the information a bit differently:

DP 17.6 > BW 15.6 > XY 14.2
    HGSS 12.7 > ORAS 10.7

When you compare similar titles, there's a clear (but not drastic) decline. Again, the console definitely should be taken into account too.

Also, I definitely get that the popularity of the Pokémon franchise as a whole is much broader than the main series game sales - that's just one easily quantifiable aspect. 90's nostalgia seems to be pretty trendy lately, so that can lead to Pokémon being discussed/reminisced about in circles that would rarely/never think about it otherwise.
    Last edited by phoenix12; 11th December 2015 at 9:07 PM.

Pokémon will never again reach the popularity it had when it began in the late 90s. It still seems to be gaining a bit more popularity, probably because they're trying to appeal to a wider audience now, both the original fans and newcomers.

Okay, I haven't stepped foot into a McDonald's for a while now, let alone really watch much TV anymore to see the commercials, but I don't recall seeing Pokémon toys in Happy Meals lately. I don't even remember when McDonald's ever got anything for Pokémon, I've only ever remembered when Burger King had them. But meh, guess I'm just that far-removed these days. *shrugs* I have seen more Pokémon merchandising in stores, albeit they're "limited" selections, of course. Only the more popular Pokémon get sold regularly.

Many franchises go through various stages of popularity and decline before spiking back up again, but it's rare for it to hit a second high peak. I honestly don't believe Pokémon will hit a new height of popularity again like in the '90s, but it hasn't gotten completely unpopular. While I don't doubt it could affect future releases, lower (main) game sales doesn't necessarily speak for the franchise as a whole when there's also the anime, manga, trading cards, and other merchandise out there that still brings in the numbers. (So happy the Pokémon anime is finally getting box-set releases out through Viz Media, the Johto Journeys box-set was recently released to a positive response at least on Amazon.) I can say that the last time I heard kids talking about Pokémon (and they were talking about games from Gen IV and up, but that was to be expected), it was about several months ago, and they were happy enough to talk about it with each other. I didn't mean to eavesdrop on their conversation they were sitting at the table next to mine at the church linger-longer, but hearing them talking about their favorite Pokémon and what they encountered in the games, and even when they last watched an episode made me smile and feel a little nostalgic. So I'm sure it's always been popular with the kids, it's just not as widely talked about anymore.

I dunno, maybe it still is a playground phenomenon in elementary schools, or at least there's small circles of friends who are as into it as we were at their age. I've just known it was still popular with the college students, and no one was afraid or embarrassed to talk about it openly. Then again, everyone was a nerd at the school, so...
    Winner of Best Fic of 2014 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 7 - 1/19/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

I can agree that it will never reach the popularity it was at when it first started out.
    Personally, I haven't noticed myself if it's getting more/less popular as time goes by.

My top six favorites

Claimed by me!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix12 View Post

HGSS = 12.7
    Black & White = 15.6
    Black 2 & White 2 = 7.6
    X & Y = 14.2
    ORAS = 10.7

Sales /= popularity

Especially if you compare the DS Generations with Gen 6. DS sold three times as good as the 3DS. 1-3 million less is still extremly good.

But like I said, better sales don't mean higher popularity. Except the time the first two gens came out with all the hype the franchise got.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateNinja View Post
    Sales /= popularity

Especially if you compare the DS Generations with Gen 6. DS sold three times as good as the 3DS. 1-3 million less is still extremly good.

But like I said, better sales don't mean higher popularity. Except the time the first two gens came out with all the hype the franchise got.
    I didn't mean to suggest that game sales told the whole story. I also mentioned how the console's performance needs to be considered in both of my posts.

I agree with you that it's not as simple as "sales" = "popularity" - but I do think they're related and that game sales are an important part of the franchise's overall popularity. Those sales figures help give us a global picture, instead of just looking at the habits of our own social circles. I also think it's helpful to have some hard numbers to examine, since a concept like "popularity" can be tricky to clearly define and measure.
    Last edited by phoenix12; 12th December 2015 at 2:34 AM.