Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overrated Pokemon

Default Overrated Pokemon

There are lots of pokemon out there, but I feel like the community as a whole gravitates to a few of them more than most. The biggest offender (for me) is Lucario. Lucario isn't anything to special or new, but manages to find its way to many a top ten list. I wouldn't dislike lucario as much as I do if it weren't so popular.

Note: I don't personally dislike you for liking lucario, I just don't like lucario, at all.

What other Pokemon receive undue praise (or hate!) from the community at large?

Pokemon Showdown: chess-z
    Friend Code: 3883-9258-9472
    tumblr

if u ever take issue with anything that i say let me know
    polite disagreement leads to enlightenment

Charizard comes to mind. I think it looks cool, but so many fans seem to worship it mostly due to nostalgia I'm guessing.

Why dislike something for being popular?

I guess if I had to say any Pokémon is "overrated" under your definition, it would be Pikachu, just in the sense that it's given opportunities almost no other Pokémon get. I wouldn't mind it so much if the things were just introduced by Pikachu and then were expanded upon, but that's usually not the case.

Black Lives Matter

Three Words: Too Much Pikachu

Pikachu is most overrated Pokemon ever, but I'm fine with Lucario and Greninja, they're both cool. ^^

IMO, Electabuzz is so much better than Pikachu, why not give E-Buzz some more love?
    Saffron City, The Lumiose of Kanto

Charizard - easily. The two mega evolution versions prove that lol

Espeon is absorbed in it’s own appearance,
    just as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephora View Post
    Oh! I have one: what about a shipping name with a french word at the beginning since Kalos is based off of France? Like childhood or blush or whatever, but in French? Like Amourshipping or whatever.

Lucario as the opening post mentioned. Even in like the anime it always has to be overpowered for some reason

Yeah, I feel like we're using the wrong definition of "overrated" here.

Just because a Pokémon is popular and is provided attention relative to that popularity and one happens to dislike that Pokémon, that does not make it "overrated."

If going into Sun & Moon, we happened to hype up Solgaleo, saying things like, "It will destroy the metagame competition!" or "It's the second coming of Arceus!" and then it happens to be your everyday box legend in terms of battling, THAT is being overrated.

No sense in throwing the word around simply because one dislikes a popular Pokémon.

Black Lives Matter

Cool, cool.

Overrated might be poor wording but we can tell what he actually means though.

Pikachu, not because I really really hate Ash. Its because he's the face of Pokemon and he's kinda seems a regular mouse Pokemon for me but they are making it an overpowered little mouse

Thanks to American--Pi for this awesome banner and userbar!

Quote Originally Posted by CptScorpion View Post
    Three Words: Too Much Pikachu

Pikachu is most overrated Pokemon ever, but I'm fine with Lucario and Greninja, they're both cool. ^^

IMO, Electabuzz is so much better than Pikachu, why not give E-Buzz some more love?
    Because Pikachu is the mascot of the Pokemon Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    Cool, cool.

Cool. So can I. Clearly. I'm just saying that maybe we shouldn't go around using words incorrectly and look like idiots. That's all.

Black Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    Cool, cool.

It's she but valid points. Would unfairly popular pokemon be more apt? I guess I used overated to communicate my (subjective) dislike of the popularity of these pokemon.

Pokemon Showdown: chess-z
    Friend Code: 3883-9258-9472
    tumblr

if u ever take issue with anything that i say let me know
    polite disagreement leads to enlightenment

Metagross.

Pikachu is the most overrated electric-type Pokemon.

#1 rival in the pokemon anime

#1 battler in the pokemon anime

Pikachu I suppose fits. I do like it and use it frequently, but it's not an uber tier in any way, a lot of it's move set is actually pretty basic. And Raichu is one of the best looking evolutions that sadly gets undermined for this.

I admit, besides it being the first obtained Mega Evolution in Gen 6, I don't feel that driven to use Lucario.

Pikachu definitely. In Pokemon Yellow, its only redeeming quality is its speed, although it's actually okay in Smash.

Gardevoir, Lucario, and, of course, Charizard

Alone we fall, United we stand
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Alpha Sapphire squad is ready for competitive action!

Mewtwo, like there's no competition. It's been overhyped since '98 and I still don't get the appeal. :/

Charizard and Greninja are really overrated IMO. Charizard has always been very popular which I can understand, but it doesn't need to be given special treatment over Venusaur and Blastoise. It certainly didn't need 2 Megas and it also appears far too often in the anime when Blastoise and Venusaur rarely appear at all. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Charizard, but it's popularity and the fact that the other 2 Kanto starters are often left in the shadows are part of the reason it's my least favourite out of the Kanto starters. It's actually one of my least favourite starters only really beating the Unova starters.

Greninja is similar to Charizard in being far more popular that Chesnaught and Delphox to the point where it gets all the attention while the other 2 are forgotten about. It appearing in Smash Bros and getting an alternate form with Ash-Greninja while the other 2 get nothing was disappointing, and it being so good in competitive battling that Smogon banned it to Ubers while the other 2 (especially Delphox) aren't anywhere near as good is a shame as well as I really like Delphox and Chesnaught's designs. Greninja is still one of my favourite starters though, only being beaten by Blastoise and Sceptile.

As for Pokemon that get an unnecessary amount of hate, I think Delphox gets a lot of it when it doesn't deserve it. A lot of people hate it because of its design which happens with everything. Of course they could have designed it better and many see it as a huge missed opportunity but Delphox seems to get the most hate for this. I honestly think all 3 Unova starters all had far worse designs (Emboar especially) but they don't get hated like poor Delphox.

Garchomp:
    I come across so many people using it on their team in online battles thinking it is the core member of their offense, only to quit when it gets OHKO on the first round... Never had any reason to fear a Garchomp, Mega or not.

Actually, the Dragon type is so overrated in general. Could people stop requesting it to be slapped on every Pokémon, especially Mega-evolutions??
    Running away from SunMoon spoilers!! It is a hard task

3DS FC: 5086-1917-7632
    Pokémon Y
    Safari:

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokeBroKing View Post

Just because a Pokémon is popular and is provided attention relative to that popularity and one happens to dislike that Pokémon, that does not make it "overrated."

If going into Sun & Moon, we happened to hype up Solgaleo, saying things like, "It will destroy the metagame competition!" or "It's the second coming of Arceus!" and then it happens to be your everyday box legend in terms of battling, THAT is being overrated.

No sense in throwing the word around simply because one dislikes a popular Pokémon.
    But consider things like Pikachu and normal Charizard.
    Quite possibly the most loved Pokemon out there, but in battle, they're rather bad. I'd say claiming these two to be overrated is a valid claim.
    Here's a reminder that a move called "Spike Cannon" exists.

Braixen.

I just don't get what's so special about it. It's one the few middle evolutions that gets a ton of attention, but I don't think it really deserves it. Why would you use Braixen over Delphox anyway? There are some middle evolutions that are amazing in battle, but Braixen is not one of them. Plus, Delphox gets a ton of hate thrown at it while Braixen doesn't? Delphox has most of the features Braixen has and Braxien gets away with it scot free while Delphox keeps getting called hideous? I know design preferences are subjectives but sometimes I just can't understand.

Don't get me wrong, I adore the Fennekin line; they are among my favourite Pokémon. But even though I like Braixen, the attention it gets I feel is undeserved.

Before, I would have responded Charizard because I thought it was unfair front implementation compared to other starters 1G, but I found worse in this area.

Greninja.

For me, it just has a strategic interest (suddenly become predictable), but it is after, it is just a ninja kikoolol too stressed.
    I'm French, so I apologize in advance for my writing's mistakes in English. ^^

For me, Black 2 and White 2 are best Pokémon Games. AG is the best anime's period.

Quest Team Pokémon Moon : Kommo-o, Salazzle, Alolan Marowak, Eevee/Glaceon, Vikavolt, Decidueye
    Quest Team Pokémon X : Hawlucha, Gardevoir Shiny, Blastoise, Gogoat, Tyrantrum and Delphox
    Quest Team Pokémon Alpha Sapphire : Ninjask, Altaria, Azumarill, Sharpedo, Glalie and Blaziken
    Quest Team Pokémon Blue : Nidoking, Pidgeot, Venusaur, Lapras, Hitmonlee and Jotleon

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokeBroKing View Post

Overrate
    verb (used with object), overrated, overrating.
    to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate.

The first definition fits what we're talking about. Many people find that the likes of Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja are appraised too highly compared to other pokemon that are hardly appraised at all.

Personally, I have a hard time appreciating Greninja, but I don't know if it has approached the levels of popularity shared by Charizard and Lucario.

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.”
    — Goethe

I assume that when we talk about overrated Pokémon, we're explicitly talking about Pokémon that get a lot of love that we don't necessarily care for as much, not so much that we believe they deserve only as much love as any other Pokémon if not less. I'm not sure if I'm getting across my point that well, but I'll stick to the first thing I said.

I can see Charizard being overrated, and I know people say Pikachu is overrated, but as someone who generally likes both of them, I don't feel bothered that they get a lot of love. I feel like it's a little hard for them not to give Pikachu the amount of love that the little guy gets, he's the face of Pokémon, after all. Regardless, a lot of it seems to me more like it comes from the Pokémon Company than the fans, even though I know fans obviously enjoy those two. The treatment Raichu has been getting so far in Sun and Moon may or may not help balance things out by a bit.

If you ask me, the most overrated Pokémon that I don't really care for is Greninja. I was never a big fan of Froakie, and seeing Greninja become the quick favorite of the Kalos starters just had me shaking my head; I firmly believe that Chesnaught and Delphox are both just as great as Greninja, if not better.
    Add to that the fact that Greninja is a playable character in Smash 4 as effectively the face of Gen 6, as well as the fact that Greninja has been playing a pretty prominent role in the X & Y seasons, and you have a Pokémon that just shouts "overrated." They even won the Pokémon Election in Japan a few months or so back.
    Sure, Greninja isn't a playable character in Pokkén Tournament, but I don't believe that single omission prevents them from being able to be overrated.
    What I'm currently doing:

- Finished training my first competitive team in AlphaSapphire... thinking of something to do with them
    - Faffing about in Sun and Moon's postgame... waiting for Pokémon Bank to update in January

~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast