View Poll Results: How do you go through the game?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plan a team; stick with it

16 24.24%
  • Plan a team; maybe change some things as I progress through the story

22 33.33%
  • Have an idea of what I might want to use, but not much planning

20 30.30%
  • No planning; I use whatever appeals to me through the game

19 28.79%
  • Nuzlocke through the game

4 6.06%
  • Go through the game with the Starter Pokemon

15 22.73%
  • Other

5 7.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you play through the main Pokemon games?

Default How do you play through the main Pokemon games?

Pokemon. There are tons of different ways to go about playing it. I've compiled a list of the ways I've seen people play Pokemon:

- Plan a team; stick with it

- Plan a team; maybe change some things as I progress through the story

- Have an idea of what I might want to use, but not much planning

- No planning; I use whatever appeals to me through the game

- Nuzlocke through the game

- Go through the game with the Starter Pokemon

Feel free to mention what you do in the comments.

Also:

Do you complete the Pokedex as you go through the game, catching every Pokemon you see, or do you wait until you beat the game?

For the first games I played, I only used my starter. After that, I planned along the way for a while, oftentimes using Pokemon I never thought I would use. But in the more recent generations, I have planned a team before I start playing and then getting it as I go through the games. It has worked very well for the most part, also creating mostly balanced teams.

Regarding the Pokedex, I usually try to catch as many Pokemon as possible when going through the game, but not necessarily all that are obtainable. Then I catch the rest after I have beaten the game.
    We both break free if we make it on top
    If one should fall we both will drop

We move together from here on out
    What you need is what I'm about

I usually have some idea of what Pokemon will be on my team, and when and where I'll catch them, and things like that. But sometimes I come across a Pokemon I've never used before, and decide to take a risk and train it instead of a Pokemon I planned to use. I did that with Budew- big mistake. I have tried EVERYTHING, and absolutely CANNOT get its friendship level up high enough to make it evolve after it levels up. I also had noooo idea it'd evolve into Roselia- not one of my favorite Pokemon to use... :\

Beat the game as fast as i can, then after i beat it go looking for items and tms and then take my time on subsequent playthroughs, taking into account the previously gained knowledge

Hibiki wants hugs
        Spoiler:- My claims:

Most of the time, I plan a team before I start a game and stick with that planned team.
    Very rarely will I change something if I find something that I like better once I encounter it in the game.

The last part:
    Well, if there's lot's of Pokemon in one area and some of them have a very low encounter rate, I'll usually not waste time even trying to look for them. Pretty much if it has an encounter rate of 1% (or labelled 'very rare' in Gen 5) I won't bother. If it's ether 5% or 10%, I'll take some time to try to find those Pokemon, but after a while I move on to the next area if I get bored looking for it.

Anyway, no, I've never tried to complete the Pokedex 100% in any game.
    Alpha Sapphire Hoenn League champions
    * - Going mega

Claimed by me!

I usually plan a team but I'm usually not sure of it until it's league time- then I usually have 6 pokemon that are my team. I always use starter as one team member and usually I add one legendary when I go to league first time Just an old habit I guess since I usually don't need it. It's just there just in case :P
    LF shinies:
    LF: FT:
    FC: 2766-9478-4272 FS: normal type Minccino, Dunsparce and Smeargle
    I have these shinies for trade!

Please visit my trade shop: (It's still quite small but i'm working on it) http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...reeding-Corner

Successful Masuda methods(not for trade):

I don't like planning a team ahead of time, or reading spoilers for new generations ahead of time. It takes all of the fun out of a blind playthrough! And generally if I play a game more than once, the second time through will be a nuzlocke.

Happy Holidays!
    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    ~ ~ ~
    [719/719]
    NATIONAL DEX COMPLETED! - Thanks to all who helped!
    -06/17/2014-

For new generation games I play pretty much without planning anything. I try to avoid as much spoilers as I can before going in, and just use whatever I find that looks cool.
    For remakes of older games, I do some team planning, because I already kind of know what I'll be able to get and what I'll want to use. But I may still change things around if I feel like it.

I usually make a team and stick with it, though if I get really bored of the starters, I sometimes deposit them and use something else as my "Main" Pokemon

I usually plan a team, but I don't always stick to it.
    As for the Pokedex, I've never been interested in completing it aside from getting the National Dex or the Shiny Haxorus in DPPt and B2/W2, respectively.
    FC: 3754-7973-9646

I usually plan what team I will use, but nothing is ever set in stone. If a pokémon I have picked fails to live up to my expectations, or if a temporary team member really impresses me I have no problems changing my original lineup.
    That said, I do miss the feeling from my first pokémon game without knowing any of the new pokémon, however I don't think I will be capable of going unspoiled into a pokémon game ever again.

Regarding Dex completion, I try to catch as many pokémon as possible while playing the game, but if I find it too bothersome I will continue without it and catch/transfer it when I'm done with the main story.

I always keep my Starter until the end of the main storyline; as for the rest of my team, I usually have at least two or three specific Pokémon in mind, and I usually stick to that. The other openings in my party would be dedicated to at least one HM Pokémon, and one/two Pokémon that I find potential in or catch my interest. Since X/Y, I've been switching one Pokémon out so I can use Fly, but nothing more than that.

And I used to try to finish the Pokedex, but after FireRed and halfway through Sapphire, it annoyed me to no end. So I don't do it anymore.
    ~* Fanficton / Youtube *~
    Banner made by moi~ (Sapphire Sapphirine)

I'm tied between the first two because I always plan a team, but I sometimes catch a Pokémon or two in the forest/Route 1/2. This gen I just caught a Scatterbug and raised it into a Vivillon just for the first few gyms as a backup. It wound up giving it's spot on my team to a Rotom I caught in the Lost Hotel. I only catch exceptionally rare Pokémon and shinies otherwise, and I go on a huge catching spree postgame.

I rotate 2-4 teams in a play thru. I use theme teams like Mono Fighting , Monkies , bears etc. My last play thru i used the Year of the Dragon 6 but didn't Ev train them. I get my 5iv , egg move , and Ev trained teams ready. Usually level 20-24 by the time they are Ev trained. Then trade them to the fresh game. Work in an area until the levels are ab maxed for my current badge then rotate in the next team and go back down the trail I'm training on. Then when everyone's ready except for 1 team I'll challenge the gym leader with that team slightly under leveled.

Always set battle style to : Set
    Last edited by 3fiddy; 26th August 2014 at 8:53 PM.
    1 million thanks to Varanus for this Shiny Card.

0963-1007-3370 Y Fc

Simple, the pokes i like i keep them in the team. In gen 5 i choose the pokemon previously due to me checking the pokedex b4 the games came. but now with worldwide releases i try to catch every pokemon and train the ones i like and box the ones i don't.
    THE HYPE IS REAL! HOENN IN 3D! My favorite gen! <3 you GF

<3 you: greninja, furfrou, meowtic m, barbaracle, dragalge, aurorus, gourgheist, avalugg, noivern, yveltal, megaY, mega megamegamegamega

the very best:

I have a habit of not sticking to one team of six at any one point; instead I train a much larger team at once, consisting of about 20-40 Pokemon. I'm constantly expanding or shrinking this training team throughout the game, adding new Pokemon I obtain, kicking off those who just aren't working for me anymore (or that I don't like). This way I'm always able to create a custom team for every new challenge, such as a gym leader (I almost always am able to create a team full of types that counter the type the gym leader uses - like a team full of Poison and Steel-types for battling Valerie in X). Then the real dilemma comes when it's time to challenge the Pokemon League, and I have to pick out a team of six out of my pool of 30-40 Pokemon that I have available. Usually at that point I only raise that team of six to whatever level I think is appropriate to challenge the Elite Four.

Often times, this approach leads to me completing much of the Pokedex before defeating the Champion, even though I'm not really trying to complete the Pokedex.

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Uhh, none besides the one below.
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

I plan a team, but not by the beginning of the game.

I plan it as I continue with my journey.
    I'm a huge Pokémon fan and also love movies.

I'm also a video maker on YouTube. If you wanna see my YouTube channel click here.

YOLO RUSH!
    At least till the point i can get tms and breed a competitive team to play.
    Who said moe cant be Gar?

Fc Ixchen: 0559-7194-5664
    Poison safari : Muk Cascoon Venomoth

I HATE the Hoenn region and its winguls with a passion that can burn steel beams. But i love move tutors, Lets see how this goes...

I plan a team and stick with it, I check for what I can get up to before the second gym and then decide what would be best for me. I will get these pokemon as soon as possible and then train them all to a certain level and then everything is fine for the rest of the game.

Team:

- Core of three pokemon, usually a FWG core.
    - Two filter pokemon
    - HM slave (Never train this)
    Last edited by Ice Lock; 26th September 2014 at 10:40 PM.
    My Friend Code: 1435-4378-9935 My Friend Safari: Dark type: Pawniard, Cacturne, Sableye

Looking for: Nothing at this current time.

IGN: Andrew

I've claimed Audino Formally known as Great Horned Owl

I usually plan my team ahead but it seems like there's always one team member who gets shafted for another. It's happened three times now for my first playthrough of Black (dumped my Simipour for Reshiram, couldn't help myself), Black 2 (dumped my Azumarill for Lapras), and most recently in X (dumped my Pidgeotto for Aerodactyl).

Strangely, it only ever happens on my first playthrough of a game, never have second thoughts in subsequent runs. I ALWAYS use my starter though, no matter what. It just seems so wrong to toss it into the PC. Even after beating the game, my starter rarely leaves my party for an extended period. I'm particularly fond of my Blastoise, Blaziken, Samurott, and Chesnaught (who, unfortunately, I just can't seem to make work against people on Battle Spot. Why can't you have a move to cover for your slowness, Chesnaught?!).

I never have a planned out team... like ever. I usually choose mynstarter and go through the game catching whatever I think is interesting or would be fun to battle with. Sometimes I have an idea of what I may want to catch from spoilers but it's usually only a couple of Pokémon.
    All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost. ~J.R.R. Tolkien

I finished Y in two days with 16 hours of playtime. My team was as follows:
    Chesnaught
    Charizard (Y form)
    Lucario (gift from Korrina)
    Blaziken (event)
    Yveltal (OP obligatory legendary FTW)
    Doublade.

Aegislash was my favorite new pokemon this gen, and I didn't know you could get dusk stones via super training until I'd already finished the E4, so aside from doublade, every mon on my team was basically a gift. They always seemed higher leveled and more potent than mons I could catch, so I progressed through the game much quicker this way than if I had actually trained a team. I go for raw attacking power when playing the main game due to the ease of the AI. In ORAS, I plan to trade up my competitive mons as soon as possible and plow through the game with them. Tbh the main game bores me and feels like a chore I must complete before I can get to the more fun dex-filling, post-game (if there is a decent one in ORAS), battling, and other things of the sort.
    #HoennHype

I'm somewhere between option 2 and 3. I usually go into a new game (especially a new generation) knowing what starter I'm going to use along with one or two new pokemon I really love.

For example in X of the six pokemon I used on my team: Delphox, Swanna, Malamar, Mawile, Dragalge, Trevenant
    Three of them were pokemon I planned to use. Delphox as my starter, Malamar as my favourite 6th gen pokemon and Mawile as a 3rd gen pokemon I loved that had gotten an upgrade. If I recall correctly three was the number of planned pokemon on my team in White too.

Swanna happened by chance when I arrived at route 7 with only my starter. I already liked Ducklett and Swanna so when I felt it was time for another team member Ducklett was the obvious choice. Dragalge was only half planned, I really loved it's design and on a whim decided to breed a Skrelp I'd gotten from Wonder Trade. Trevenant made my team when I couldn't find a suitable Pumpkaboo. (Which I'm glad now because I prefer Trevenant to Gourgeist)
    Last edited by Sponge; 1st October 2014 at 1:56 PM.

I tend to plan a team before I play the game, though I sometimes change it a bit after I beat the game.

As for Pokedex completion, I do my best to complete it as I go through the game, saving those that have a low encounter rate until I have beaten the game.
    Last edited by Tsukuyomi56; 1st October 2014 at 2:23 PM.

Credit to Brutaka for the awesome banner!
    I have claimed Drapion and Karis from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

I'm an odd one on this sort of thing. I'll know which starter I'll pick, but from then on, it tends to start off as highest levelled, then continues with that. Although, I did almost do a monofire for Y, as I had MegaZardY, MBlaze, Delphox, TFlame and...Pyroar, was it? IDK. Oh, and a Lapras. Gotta have that surfer...
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    Started my journey into PASBL, let's see how I fare...
    Team info here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast