View Poll Results: Which type of starter do you normally choose?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grass

11 44.00%
  • Fire

8 32.00%
  • Water

10 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which starter did you choose in each generation?

Question Which starter did you choose in each generation?

Maybe you always go for the same type (Grass, Fire, Water), or you like to mix things up a little each time.

You can include the starters you chose in third versions and remakes, e.g. Emerald and HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Here's my starter history throughout the generations:

Gen 1: (Yellow)

Gen 2: (Silver)

Gen 3: (Ruby)

Gen 4: (Platinum), (SoulSilver)

Gen 5: (Black and Black 2)

Gen 6: Fennekin (X), (Omega Ruby)

Gen 7: Litten (Sun)

I'm mostly a Fire fanatic, which is why I've chosen the Fire starters in almost every generation.
    Last edited by NovaBrunswick; 15th September 2017 at 12:23 PM.
    I love Canada now and forever.

Sun Team:

I've played through the first 3 generations with all 3 starters.

In DPP, I've never used Piplup. I didn't like Piplup in the show and I was never impressed by Empoleon. I really want to replay Platinum or Pearl some time, so I will give Piplup a chance then.

In HG, I started with Cyndaquil. In SS, I have successfully shiny hunted Cyndaquil and Chikorita. I'm working on getting a shiny Totodile to play through with all 3.

In BW I started with Snivy and Tepig. In B2W2, I started with Tepig and Oshawott.

In XY, I started with Froakie and Chespin. I recently started a new file on a digital copy of Y I got free from Nintendo to SR for shiny Fennekin and will play through with it.

In ORAS I used Treecko and Mudkip since Torchic was available at the beginning of XY.

In SM, I've only used Rowlet. In USUM, I'll use Litten and Popplio.
    Last edited by Team Volt Grunt; 15th September 2017 at 8:12 PM.

Most recent shiny: Current Hunts:

Talking

Kanto:

Blue: Charmander
    Leaf Green: Squirtle
    Fire Red: Bulbasaur

Johto:

Crystal: Chikorita
    Silver: Cyndaquil
    Soul Silver: Chikorita again :3

Hoenn:

Sapphire: Torchic
    Alpha Sapphire: Treecko
    Ruby ROM: Torchic again

Sinnoh:

Pearl: I've used all of them

UNOVA:

White: Oshawott (and i didn't end up using it the whole game)

Kalos:

Y: Fennikin :3

Alola:

Sun: Popplio

Thats what i've used, pretty much
    PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE TO LEARN WHAT MAKES ME TICK AND STUFF. its important to me...
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    Gay, happy triox! Wait, gay also means happy, right? :P Riiight?
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.

I made this blingee of one of the most awesome pokemon EVER :3
    ~Lipstick Lesbian and Proud~ Well, i'm actually bi, but korrina's really the only 'attractive to me' character i ever dare look at on a daily basis, soo... :P
    I have autism too

Gen I
    (Pokemon Yellow: Pikachu)
    As I didn't played red and blue, I didn't have to choose. It would have been extremely difficult, but probably Bulbasaur would have been the chosen one.

Gen II
    Pokemon Gold: Totodile
    Pokemon Crystal: Cyndaquill

Gen III
    Pokemon Ruby: Torchic
    I made multiple run using them all.

Gen V

Pokemon White 2: Tepig
    I don't like these starters (especially the evolutions), but Tepig is pretty good. I love Oshawott, but I find the design of Samurott terrible...

Gen VI
    Pokemon Y: Fennerkin
    Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: Mudkip

Gen VII

Pokemon Sun: Popplio
    I like them all and I traded for the others as soon as I could.

FireRed: Squirtle
    LeafGreen: Charmander
    Crystal: Totodile
    Ruby: Torchic
    Sapphire: Treecko
    Emerald: Mudkip
    Diamond: Piplup
    Pearl: Chimchar
    Platinum: Turtwig
    I ended up picking Oshawott in all Generation V games, since Serperior has a shallow movepool and poor attacking stats and you can't get a Snivy with Contrary as your starter. Emboar just doesn't appeal to me. I have yet to play Generation VI and VII games, so I can't say much here.

Leaf Green: Charmander
    Heart Gold: Totodile
    (Alpha) Sapphire: Treecko
    Diamond: Piplup
    Black and Black 2: Snivy and Oshawott (I forget which to which version).
    X & Y: Froakie
    Moon: Litten
    Ultra Moon: Rowlet?

Quote Originally Posted by Google translated Bulbasaur entry
    A man like a cuckoo in the stomach is stubborn with the body Some things are going on.

Gen 1 (Red) - Alrighty then. Now, Red wasn't my first Pokémon game (it was actually Pearl) but I did play it as soon as I could get my hands on a Game Boy. Understandably, I chose Charmander, my favourite of the three and the box Pokémon.

Gen 2 (Silver) - I chose Cyndaquil in Silver. I had already played SoulSilver, and I decided to change it up a bit, and went with the Fire-Starter. I also thought that Typhlosion had the coolest design of the three final-evolutions.

Gen 3 (Sapphire) - Treecko was who I picked! I was really fond of Grovyle (Thank you Mystery Dungeon!) and I loved the speed that the whole line held. While I was a fan of Mudkip and Torchic, neither Blaziken nor Swampert ever appealed to me much.

Gen 4 (Pearl/Platinum) - Ah, memories. I remember choosing Turtwig after a long period of deliberation in both games. He looked the cutest, and I had no idea what was in store. Heck, I didn't even know that Pokémon evolved at this point. But I never really liked Chimchar, who's design just repelled me, and while I did like Empoleon (Water/Steel woo!) I never picked Piplup.
    (SoulSilver) - When I played this, I wasn't sure who to pick. Cyndaquil was cute, but I didn't like the eyes (to start with, now I absolutely adore Cyndaquil), and Totodile, while a cool concept, seemed a bit too obvious. So I chose Chikorita, keeping with my preference from Pearl. It was cute, and quite a challenging typing to use, being weak to Gyms 1 and 2. And I was lucky enough to get a her. On my first go. I didn't know it was a low chance; I thought it might have been made to only be female.

Gen 5 (White/White2) - I got White as a birthday present, and I had no knowledge of any of the new Pokémon. I had no idea what to expect, and I was a bit worried when it came to choosing my starter. The game was fun, I enjoyed the intro, fell in love with Cheren, and opened the magical box. Oshawott seemed cute, kind of, but I always look at the others first. So I looked at Tepig, and knew I didn't want to choose it, no matter how much it smiled at me. So then I looked at Smugleaf himself. Snivy was the one I chose. I knew that that was my favourite, and still is my favourite starter to this day. In White 2 I followed the trend and chose Snivy again, but if I ever start White again, I think I'd go with Oshawott.

Gen 6 - Okay, so I have never actually played a Gen 6 game... Although, I always knew which starter I'd pick. I never really liked Chespin, and it just didn't seem right for a Grass-Type. Froakie seemed kind of cool, but when I discovered that Greninja was basically a diety in the Anime and super-powerful, I grew to dislike it. So I chose the undeniably cutest Gen 6 starter, Fennekin!

Gen 7 (Moon/Ultra Moon soon!) Well well well, my first 3DS game. I had seen the evolutionary lines and knew what to expect. Popplio seemed alright to start with, but I disliked Primarina and the Fairy Typing, which I am now (sort of) neutral about. Litten was cool, but I hate the wrestler theme that it adopted. That left Rowlet, who gained a Ghost Typing, and basically became Robin Hood. No brainer for me! And in Ultra Moon, I'll pick Rowlet again!

So, I've never actually chose the Water Starter, but I have an obvious preference for the Grass Starters!
    Claimed Cheren!
    "The Leader Who Seeks the Right Path
    Everyone has a different dream. Search for your life's purpose"

I started in Gen 3, so here's my list, at least when it comes to Pokemon I have a story about

Gen 3: My noob phase, back when I used only my starter to overpower everything. While my sister choose Torchic, my first ever Pokemon was Mudkip. I don't remember why, but it was think to Mudkip Water types became my favorite to use. When I played my first remake, Leaf Green, I simply choose the first stage of the featured Pokemon

Gen 4: When I started to have more than one team member. Again I don't remember why but I chose Turtwig.

Gen 5: At this point I became used to the idea of using six team members. My first Pokemon in this game was Tepig. My reasoning is that I never used a Fire type starter, and wanted to try one out. When the sequels came around, I simply chose the Unova starter I hadn't used yet, Snivy

Gen 6: I don't remember why I chose Chespin, but I know why I chose Charmander-I had to get Mega Charizard X. Playing Pokemon Y, I chose Bulbasaur because Mega Venasaur's Thick Fat ability was magificent and it had been ages since I last used this Pokemon

Gen 7: My first was Rowlett. I was awed by the really cool looking Decidueye, and that it has a Ghost typing. Ghost is one of my favorite types, so I wanted to try it
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

My starting point was Gen 4, so it pretty much goes as this:

Gen 4: Infernape. I was like 7 or 8 or something, so fire sounded cool to me.

Gen 5: 'Fire type duuuh'.

Gen 6: Had a brain now, and I saw the badass cool looking frog called Froakie. Still don't regret picking him and I likely never will, ESPECIALLY given that he now can evolve into Ash-Greninja.

Gen 7: Rowlet. So I went full circle, so..cool I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TikTok13 View Post
    (SoulSilver) - When I played this, I wasn't sure who to pick. Cyndaquil was cute, but I didn't like the eyes (to start with, now I absolutely adore Cyndaquil), and Totodile, while a cool concept, seemed a bit too obvious. So I chose Chikorita, keeping with my preference from Pearl. It was cute, and quite a challenging typing to use, being weak to Gyms 1 and 2. And I was lucky enough to get a her. On my first go. I didn't know it was a low chance; I thought it might have been made to only be female.
    I thought Chikorita would mostly be female too, due to the feminine-sounding name. Mine in SS is/was male, however. He's now a Meganium - a very powerful one at that, packing Earthquake to deal with Fire, Poison and Electric-types. And I love him.
    I love Canada now and forever.

Sun Team:

Blue: Bulbasaur

Silver: Chikorita

Sapphire: Treecko
    Leaf Green: Bulbasaur
    Fire Red: Squirtle

Diamond: Turtwig
    Pearl: Chimchar
    Platinum: Piplup

White: Oshawott
    Black: Snivy
    White 2: Oshawott

X: Chespin
    Y: Froakie
    Alpha Sapphire: Treecko
    Omega Ruby: Mudkip

Moon: Popplio
    Sun: Rowlet
    Ultra Moon: (Most likely going to be Rowlet, since I don't like Litten's evo line much and I didn't really use Rowlet much in Sun)

FC: 3325-6380-7279
    Currently Hunting:
    Friend Safari:
    SOS:

Most Recent Shiny:

Diamond: Turtwig
    HeartGold: Totodile

White: Tepig
    Black 2: Snivy

Y: Chespin
    Omega Ruby: Treecko

Moon: Rowlet
    Ultra Moon: Litten (most likely)

Yeah, I really like Grass starters. I originally intended to pick Froakie in Y and Litten in Moon, but Chespin and Rowlet's final evos changed my mind.
    Claimed:
    Pokemon Omega Ruby team:
    Pokemon Moon team:

Kanto: Charmander
    Johto: Totodile
    Hoenn: Treecko
    Sinnoh: Piplup
    Unova: Oshawott
    Kalos: Froakie
    Alola: Rowlet

Those are who I prefer per region. However, I picked Mudkip in Ruby, Snivy in Black, Fennekin in Y, Chespin in X (I restarted the game), and Litten in Sun. I also used a Popplio on my Moon team, alongside my starter Rowlet. I have to say that the Kalos and Alola starters are my favorites, as I generally love all three in both Kalos and Alola.

The funny thing is that Chikorita was my first ever starter, yet I came to dislike it and restarted HeartGold with Totodile.

Red - Bulbasaur
    LeafGreen - Charmander
    Ruby - Torchic
    Sapphire - Treecko
    Emerald - Mudkip
    Platinum - Piplup
    SoulSilver - Totodile
    Black - Oshawott
    Black 2 - Oshawott
    X - Froakie
    Alpha Sapphire - Torchic
    Moon - Rowlet
    Ultra Sun - Rowlet
    Last edited by Darthlord7; 16th September 2017 at 12:28 PM.

I havn't played every gen that has come out but of the ones I did play...

Gen 1- Charmander

Gen 4- Piplup

Gen 6 - Fennekin!

Gen 7
    - Popplio

I've never chosen my starter based on type, I choose based on cuteness level xD

Red: Charmander
    Silver: Cyndaquil
    Sapphire: Mudkip
    Pearl: Turtwig
    Platinum: Chimchar
    Soulsilver: Totodile
    BW: All three of them lol.
    Black 2: Oshawott
    White 2: Snivy
    X: Chespin
    Y: Fennekin
    Alpha Sapphire: Mudkip
    Moon: Popplio
    Ultra Moon: Rowlet or Litten
    Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    wow, we're now pre-ordering an 18 year old game

guess Nintendo knows how poorly GS play and needs a cheap pre-order bonus to rope people in

gotta get the preloads in so the servers don't get hammered by all those nerds trying to download their 0.00004 GB of retro meh on relaunch day

Gen V is seven years old now!

Gen 1: Pikachu (Bulbasaur in Leaf Green)
    Gen 2: Cyndaquill (Chikorita in Crystal, Cyndaquil again in Soul Silver)
    Gen 3: Treeko (Mudkip in Emerald and Alpha Sapphire)
    Gen 4: Piplup (Turtwig in Platinum)
    Gen 5: Oshawott (In both White and White 2)
    Gen 6: Fennekin
    Gen 7: Popplio
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 16th September 2017 at 5:04 PM.

I look like someone else, but I'm just me.
    With you standing by my side, I won't be lonely.
    I look like someone else, but I'm just me!
    My name is Mimikyu, don't call me spooky!
    3DS Friend Code, Nintendo Network ID, and Switch FC

- Squirtle
    - Totodile
    - Mudkip
    - Chimchar
    - Tepig
    - Froakie
    - Rowlett

It's odd, because I very rarely actively dislike the Grass starters, there's usually just a more enthusing pick each time.

Pretty much water types only

Yellow - Pikachu

Blue - Squirtle

Silver and Crystal - Totodile

Sapphire and Emerald - Mudkip

FireRed - Squirtle

LeafGreen - Bulbasaur

Diamond - Piplup

Platinum - Turtwig

HeartGold - Totodile

White and White 2 - Oshawott

X - Froakie

Alpha Sapphire - Mudkip

Sun - Popplio

If I get USM - Popplio
    The Team

GEN I
    Red - Bulbasaur
    Yellow - Pikachu (by force)

GEN II
    Silver - Cyndaquil (first play); Totodile (all subsequent plays)

GEN III
    Ruby - Mudkip
    Sapphire - Mudkip (most plays); Torchic (one occasional play)
    Emerald - Torchic
    LeafGreen - Bulbasaur

GEN IV
    Diamond - Piplup
    Pearl - Piplup
    HeartGold - Totodile

GEN V
    White - Oshawott
    Black 2 - Oshawott

GEN VI
    X - Froakie
    Omega Ruby - Mudkip
    Alpha Sapphire - Mudkip

GEN VII
    Moon - Rowlett
    Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon - not sure if I'll be getting it yet

Squirtle- Gen 1
    Totodile- Gen 2
    Treeko- Gen 3
    Piplup- Gen 4
    Tepig- Gen 5
    Chespin- Gen 6
    Litten- Gen 7

Gen 1: Charmander
    Gen 2: Chikorita
    Gen 3: Mudkip
    Gen 4: Chimchar
    Gen 5: Oshawott
    Gen 6: Chespin
    Gen 7: Litten
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL Lives Matter

Gen 1 (Red): now I will be honest, I still haven't finished off my Red file because I got bored of all the plain graphics and tedious walking very fast. However, I do still have a clear favourite Gen 1 starter, and that is Bulbasaur. It's just so cute an adorable!

Gen 2 (HGSS): Cyndaquil was who I chose for HGSS because oh my god it is adorable, but I'm also a huge fan of Chikorita too since I can't resist those eyes.

Gen 3 (ORAS/Emerald): Torchic, Torchic all the way. When I first bought ORAS as my first Pokemon game I was initially stuck on who to choose, but then I remembered that in the video I watched that convinced me to buy it, it was mentioned that Torchic is a little OP. And, since I had just started playing, I thought "hey, that could be helpful since I have no idea what I'm doing!". Best choice ever. I do love Mudkip though because of its derpy face and, of course, the memes.

Gen 4: I'm always torn on this one between Turtwig and Piplup. Piplup is a penguin which is like one of the best animals ever, but Turtwig has that adorable little derpy face similar to Mudkip's. In my copy of Platinum I chose Piplup, but I can never decide otherwise!

Gen 5: jee it's another conflicting choice between the Water and Grass starter! When I first bought White and White 2 I chose Oshawott instantly because it is cute as heck, but in my second playthrough of White I chose Snovy instead, and ooohhh my god I love Snivy. I just can't choose!

Gen 6: now since I played X for the first (and currently only) time as a Wonderlocke, I didn't explicitly choose one of the starters with the intention of using it or growing attached to it. I used to like Greninja but the anime gave it a sour taste. As for the other two, I'd say I'm conflicted. Chespin is adorable and its fully evolved form looks great, but Fennekin is exactly the same. Again, I can't pick!

Gen 7: Litten. Litten all the way and nobody can convince me otherwise. This thing is my spirit animal. A cat, with the Fire type, that's introverted and kinda likes wrestling? Give me. Also helps that it was female first time in SM. I'm definitely choosing it for USUM too!
    Banner by me!

Nerdy McNerdface's Chibi Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSonic View Post
    Did they ever figure out who let the dogs out?
    Ongoing Stories:
    Bonds Between Children of Tragedy ~ Pokemon White Abridged ~ Encounters of an Elite Four Member
    One-Shots:
    Left Alone ~ A Simple Kalosian's Story
    Fanfic Profile:
    Serebii.net Fanfiction Profile

Gen 1 (LeafGreen): Charmander
    Gen 2 (Silver/SoulSilver): Chikorita
    Gen 3 (Sapphire): I've never had any particular favorite out of this bunch, but Torchic is probably the one I've used most often, albeit by a very slight margin.
    Gen 4 (Platinum): Chimchar
    Gen 5 (Black): Snivy

Seeing as I don't have a 3DS I haven't been able play Gens 6 and 7, but if I had, my choices probably would have been:

Gen 6 (Kalos): Froakie
    Gen 7 (Alola): Rowlet

R/B/Y: Pikachu. I had Yellow and wasn't allowed to get the other games as a child.
    G/S/C: Totodile, hands down. He was my first Pokemon ever, so he'll always hold a special place in my heart.
    R/S/E: Mudkip. Mudkip. MUDKIP. <3 Introduced me to my favorite Pokemon ever.
    D/P/Pt: Since I disliked Empoleon as Piplup's final evolution, I went with Turtwig. I don't regret it. He saved my hide more times than I'd like to admit in those games.
    B/W/B2/W2: Snivy. I adored Serperior's design.
    X/Y: Froakie. <3
    Sun/Moon: I actually went Team Popplio. And I'm looking to go Popplio again, because I adore Primarina.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast