33 35.11%
  • Heart Gold and Soul Silver

53 56.38%
  • Fire Red and Leaf Green

8 8.51%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Pokemon game did you think had the best remake

Default Which Pokemon game did you think had the best remake

Which remake did you think was best? My favorite is Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. I loved the character design updates, some of the new features they added to capture Pokemon. I enjoyed Fire Red and Leaf Green for what it was. I like the graphic updates and the fact that you could capture 3 generations worth of Pokemon, the Sevii Islands were a nice touch too.

I was not really a fan of Heart Gold and Soul Silver. It's nice that we can play Gold and Silver in an updated form, but in my opinion, I hate what they did to some of the character designs. I feel like they dumbed down a lot of them, and I felt like the rival went from being dark and brooding to just being a whiny kid who hates to lose

HeartGold and SoulSilver were the ones that improved the source material the most, while cleverly adding everything Crystal brought to the table. They were a love letter to Generation II.

FireRed and LeafGreen come second.

3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

HGSS by a long shot. They added a lot of content to the game and improved the overall experience the most. ORAS only really improved storyline while failing to give it the post game content it needed and FRLG only tacked on post game content while doing virtually nothing for the main game.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I don't have one that I liked more than another. Each one had something I liked about it.

FRLG - Even though I never ended up fully completing this game, I still liked the concept of having a group of islands to discover while going through the main region.
    HGSS - Thought it was neat to have a whole other region to explore in the post-game.
    ORAS - This was my first major experience with the Hoenn region as a whole, since I've never fully played the originals. (I've only ever got up to Slateport in the original Ruby)

My top six favorites

Claimed by me!

For me, it would be between Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. Heart Gold/Soul Silver were probably the higher quality games (mostly due to the general decline in quality since Black and White), but Hoenn is my favorite region, and that alone made me enjoy the games more. At the same time though, I didn't like many of the changes they made in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire except for the Primals and the Delta Episode. Despite the recent decline in quality, these Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire did seem to show some hope, but not much. I suppose in the end, if you're asking purely in terms of the remake and how it was done overall, I'd have to say Heart Gold/Soul Silver, but if you're asking which games were my favorite, I would say Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. I'm voting for Heart Gold/Soul Silver because I see that as the more appropriate answer for this thread.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for news, reviews, info on Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website. Come and join us for 20th Anniversary festivities, they've already begun!

FR/LG.

Because they were the biggest improvements over the original games, and did the most things right. They improved on R/B/Y in so many ways and made the originals literally unplayable. Kanto got several new training spots and they improved on the story and characters from the originals as well. Not to mention adding several new and useful things like the VS. Seeker, Fame Checker, Sevii Islands, a stronger Elite Four along with the ability to get Johto and Hoenn Pokemon. They also had everything the generation itself had included with Abilities, Natures, the new PC system and the improved graphics, physics and mechanics.

But that's not the only thing. There is one other reason that puts FR/LG at the top. That is the fact that they are the only remakes that had a valid reason to exist. They were created in order to allow people to complete their National Pokedex, which wasn't possible in third generation without them. And even if you weren't interested in completing the Pokedex, these games were still the only way to get several Kanto and some Johto Pokemon in third generation. If we discount the spin-off games Colosseum and XD, that number goes even higher. HG/SS and OR/AS were created solely due to fan demand, which in my eyes is not a good enough reason to make a game, and because of that, FR/LG stands over the other two remake pairs for me.

As for the other remakes... HG/SS are my least favorite remakes, and quite possibly my least favorite games in the whole series. They didn't fix any of the major problems with G/S/C, they made several things worse, and nothing of the new things they added really interested me. They were only barely better than the originals in terms of playability, but much worse in terms of enjoyment. And the sad thing is that they had the potential to be epic, but it was wasted, making them nothing but a very bad rehash of the originals. I think they are extremely overrated and overhyped games.

I haven't really played OR/AS that much yet (started on Omega Ruby just a few days ago), so I can't speak very well regarding them. Based on what I have experienced so far and what I know about them, I think they are good, but in terms of remakeness (that's probably not even a word but I don't care), they don't seem to be on the same level as FR/LG. They are much better than HG/SS though. The main problems with them are that they have virtually no Emerald content, and that they didn't improve on the originals in all areas where they could have done so. Which wasn't in that many areas considering the fact that the original R/S were much better games than R/B/Y or G/S/C ever were. But at least they did some improvements, and they added some new features which are neat. I'd say they are in the middle in terms of remakeness, not as good as FR/LG but not as bad as HG/SS. But they are definitely the best when it comes to playability by modern standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bguy7 View Post
    For me, it would be between Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. Heart Gold/Soul Silver were probably the higher quality games (mostly due to the general decline in quality since Black and White), but Hoenn is my favorite region, and that alone made me enjoy the games more. At the same time though, I didn't like many of the changes they made in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire except for the Primals and the Delta Episode. Despite the recent decline in quality, these Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire did seem to show some hope, but not much. I suppose in the end, if you're asking purely in terms of the remake and how it was done overall, I'd have to say Heart Gold/Soul Silver, but if you're asking which games were my favorite, I would say Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. I'm voting for Heart Gold/Soul Silver because I see that as the more appropriate answer for this thread.
    Declining in what, exactly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalosian View Post
    FR/LG.

Because they were the biggest improvements over the original games, and did the most things right. They improved on R/B/Y in so many ways and made the originals literally unplayable. Kanto got several new training spots and they improved on the story and characters from the originals as well. Not to mention adding several new and useful things like the VS. Seeker, Fame Checker, Sevii Islands, a stronger Elite Four along with the ability to get Johto and Hoenn Pokemon. They also had everything the generation itself had included with Abilities, Natures, the new PC system and the improved graphics, physics and mechanics.

But that's not the only thing. There is one other reason that puts FR/LG at the top. That is the fact that they are the only remakes that had a valid reason to exist. They were created in order to allow people to complete their National Pokedex, which wasn't possible in third generation without them. And even if you weren't interested in completing the Pokedex, these games were still the only way to get several Kanto and some Johto Pokemon in third generation. If we discount the spin-off games Colosseum and XD, that number goes even higher. HG/SS and OR/AS were created solely due to fan demand, which in my eyes is not a good enough reason to make a game, and because of that, FR/LG stands over the other two remake pairs for me.

As for the other remakes... HG/SS are my least favorite remakes, and quite possibly my least favorite games in the whole series. They didn't fix any of the major problems with G/S/C, they made several things worse, and nothing of the new things they added really interested me. They were only barely better than the originals in terms of playability, but much worse in terms of enjoyment. And the sad thing is that they had the potential to be epic, but it was wasted, making them nothing but a very bad rehash of the originals. I think they are extremely overrated and overhyped games.

I haven't really played OR/AS that much yet (started on Omega Ruby just a few days ago), so I can't speak very well regarding them. Based on what I have experienced so far and what I know about them, I think they are good, but in terms of remakeness (that's probably not even a word but I don't care), they don't seem to be on the same level as FR/LG. They are much better than HG/SS though. The main problems with them are that they have virtually no Emerald content, and that they didn't improve on the originals in all areas where they could have done so. Which wasn't in that many areas considering the fact that the original R/S were much better games than R/B/Y or G/S/C ever were. But at least they did some improvements, and they added some new features which are neat. I'd say they are in the middle in terms of remakeness, not as good as FR/LG but not as bad as HG/SS. But they are definitely the best when it comes to playability by modern standards.
    Sounds like someone has a Kanto bias. A lot of the "improvements" you cite for FRLG aren't really improvements, they were pretty much an necessity given the game's context, whereas in terms of actual quality they did little to improve the experience aside from add post game content. Including things like natures and abilities as "improvements" isn't much of an accomplishment, other games did the same for their respective generations and it was pretty much a necessity for them to do so otherwise they couldn't really make them compatible with the current generation, so that's not really worth discussing. The originals being unplayable and the remakes being necessary to catch em all isn't really a merit to FRLG, that's simply the result of where we were in 3rd gen and if another game was in its place it would've done the same thing. Upgraded rosters are also nothing unique, as both HGSS and ORAS Elite 4 rosters use National Dex Pokemon as well. So that leaves you with Vs. Seeker, Fame Checker, and the Sevii Islands as benefits over what HGSS and ORAS did.

I find the idea that FRLG were a massive improvement to be pretty hilarious frankly because there were a lot of major flaws in the original design that were left in and the majority of the game was pretty much a copy/paste job. The Kanto Dex had massive imbalances, more so than any other regional dex, and what did they do to fix that? Absolutely nothing, you were left with the same lack of type variety that you had in the originals and you were only a Magnemite retcon and a handful of Dark moves richer. Or what about the storyline, which was incredibly shallow? RS was a major step up in terms of storyline, so did they take that newfound approach to storyline and apply it to Kanto? Nope, the storyline was virtually identical to the original. HGSS and ORAS are definitely bigger improvements over their originals, no question. They added plenty of features, they did more to address their flaws, and the storylines were more fleshed out compared to the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph123 View Post
    Declining in what, exactly ?
    There's been a trend going since 5th gen to design the games around casual players that don't want to spend a lot of time and effort on games, and the content and challenge has been decreasing to accommodate that playstyle.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 8th September 2015 at 10:54 PM.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Sounds like someone has a Kanto bias. A lot of the "improvements" you cite for FRLG aren't really improvements, they were pretty much an necessity given the game's context, whereas in terms of actual quality they did little to improve the experience aside from add post game content. Including things like natures and abilities as "improvements" isn't much of an accomplishment, other games did the same for their respective generations and it was pretty much a necessity for them to do so otherwise they couldn't really make them compatible with the current generation, so that's not really worth discussing. The originals being unplayable and the remakes being necessary to catch em all isn't really a merit to FRLG, that's simply the result of where we were in 3rd gen and if another game was in its place it would've done the same thing. Upgraded rosters are also nothing unique, as both HGSS and ORAS Elite 4 rosters use National Dex Pokemon as well. So that leaves you with Vs. Seeker, Fame Checker, and the Sevii Islands as benefits over what HGSS and ORAS did.

I find the idea that FRLG were a massive improvement to be pretty hilarious frankly because there were a lot of major flaws in the original design that were left in and the majority of the game was pretty much a copy/paste job. The Kanto Dex had massive imbalances, more so than any other regional dex, and what did they do to fix that? Absolutely nothing, you were left with the same lack of type variety that you had in the originals and you were only a Magnemite retcon and a handful of Dark moves richer. Or what about the storyline, which was incredibly shallow? RS was a major step up in terms of storyline, so did they take that newfound approach to storyline and apply it to Kanto? Nope, the storyline was virtually identical to the original. HGSS and ORAS are definitely bigger improvements over their originals, no question. They added plenty of features, they did more to address their flaws, and the storylines were more fleshed out compared to the originals.
    And someone seem to have johto and hoenn bias. No, ruby and saphire were not an improvement in the storyline, and hgss's story was identical to the original exept for the celebi event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat
    There's been a trend going since 5th gen to design the games around casual players that don't want to spend a lot of time and effort on games, and the content and challenge has been decreasing to accommodate that playstyle.
    The games are targeted at kids, and black and white 2 have WAY more content then every other game.
    Last edited by Winter Breeze; 8th September 2015 at 11:10 PM.

HGSS were the best by far. I didn't like ORAS that much due to lack of Emerald stuff in it. ORAS had no gym leader rematches, no battle frontier, jammed too many legendary pokemon into one game as well as starters, making it so that we can have all non-event pokemon before the gen was over which I think is ridiculous and never seeing the two primals duke it out at sootopolis city. HGSS had gym leader rematches, battle frontier, good amount of legends and starters, the Eusine and Suicune thing and going to another region. ORAS was the worst of gen 6 and not as good as HGSS or FRLG games. Battle Maison was copied and pasted into ORAS, leaving a model of the battle tower to add insult to injury at battle resort and leaving no pokemon to get from the next games is what truely made ORAS flawed in my opinion.
    Currently playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Awaiting Pokemon Z and the next pokemon movie.

Currently own: All gen 4, 5 and 6 main series games.

Feel free to check out my hilarious signature!

Currently avoiding the giant chicken so I won't destroy half the city when fighting the chicken!

Oh no, oh no, oh no! Oh Yeah! Okay, can everyone please stop saying oh no in the court room cause the Kool Aid man keeps coming in!

Oh that dog of mine!

Oh haven't you heard? Bird is the word!

The games are targeted at kids, and black and white 2 have WAY more content then every other game.
    The games pre-gen 5 were targeted at kids as well, and they seemed to go over just fine. All I know is that while I will always enjoy a Pokemon games, all of them since Black and White haven't been on the same level of enjoyment as third and fourth gen games, at least for me. I would like point out that it's not even necessarily them catering to casual players that's the problem. I'm a casual player in the sense that I don't battle competitively or dive into stuff like the Battle Frontier, but I've still felt a general decrease in quality in other areas.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for news, reviews, info on Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website. Come and join us for 20th Anniversary festivities, they've already begun!

They all were somewhat mediocre (HGSS especially) to me but if I had to choose, I'd say ORAS only because I find Hoenn to be a better designed region than Kanto and Johto and that I could actually level up in the game. The Dexnav was also pretty neat too. I do wish they had improved on the Dex considering the distribution isn't exactly great plus the postgame wasn't much better than XY's imo. I mean yeah the Mirage spots are cool and all but one could complete them in short bursts unlike BW2's Tower/Treehollow which is both challenging and lengthy.

I will probably have to go with FRLG. I felt that it did the original games a lot of justice, while adding some neat new archipelago and in general giving it a much needed overhaul. The original games had a lot of glitches and weird mechanic choices.
    HGSS were also great games, and is not far behind by any means. Being very true to the original games but also adding in some nice parts from Crystal. The main reason I'm not placing it first is because I didn't feel like it was as much of an improvement as FRLG, many of gen I's problems had already been solved by gen II, although the mechanics between gen II and IV were still quite drastic, and actually adding stuff to Kanto this time around was much needed.
    ORAS is last. Mainly because of two reasons. The first one is that I wasn't completely satisfied with how they changed some parts from the original games, as well as neglecting some Emerald elements. I know they are RS remakes but I feel like the games should be the absolute Hoenn experience, the previous remakes did that for me. The other one is that I didn't really feel like it was needed as much as the two other. The only really big battle mechanics that have changed after gen III are the phys/spec split and Fairy's introduction. Gen III holds up fairly well today.

It really comes down to that the older games changed much more between generations than between the newer ones.
    Last edited by Endless; 8th September 2015 at 11:56 PM.

ORAS. I haven't played none of the original GBA games that took place in Hoenn. So it was my first time visiting those towns, cities, caves (etc.) and battling against those Gym Leaders, Team Magma (&/or Team Aqua), the Elite Four and the Champion. It was a somewhat incredible experience capturing the Legendary Pokémon that originated from those Game Boy Advance games. The new features are good and useful, especially the DexNav.
    Even though I have chosen ORAS in the poll, I have more fond memories of HeartGold/SoulSilver. I think those are the superior games. (Even if they are getting old.)

What do I think of FireRed & LeafGreen? They are good for those that want a trip back to the 90's. (I never played the original Game Boy games.)
    I have played FireRed, used a Charizard to defeat the Elite Four's Pokémon. (Of course I had multiple Full Restores and that item that "revives" a fainted Pokémon [I believe the item is called "Revive"]. Of course I had more than one "Revive".)
    I can see it now... A mountain of treasure...

And someone seem to have johto and hoenn bias. No, ruby and saphire were not an improvement in the storyline
    They added more lore to the Weather trio and an entire post game story arc. I'd call that an improvement.

and hgss's story was identical to the original exept for the celebi event.
    They added extra characters.

They added more lore to the Weather trio and an entire post game story arc. I'd call that an improvement.
    You mean the Delta Episode? That wasn't really an improvement or a post game. The only good part was Deoxys but the rest of it was a joke.
    Currently playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Awaiting Pokemon Z and the next pokemon movie.

Currently avoiding the giant chicken so I won't destroy half the city when fighting the chicken!

Oh no, oh no, oh no! Oh Yeah! Okay, can everyone please stop saying oh no in the court room cause the Kool Aid man keeps coming in!

Oh that dog of mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
    You mean the Delta Episode? That wasn't really an improvement or a post game. The only good part was Deoxys but the rest of it was a joke.
    Still better than what FRLG did for its story.

I love all the remakes but i vote for HG/SS i just personally feel like they improved more than their originals

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
    I'd take a story like the Delta Episode over a Battle Frontier or any other "post game content" any time.

Check it out!

HG/SS by far. The new features like walking Pokemon and Pokeathlon alone were outstanding compared to OR/AS.

They added extra characters.
    No, they didn't. They just named the team rocket admins and added lyra... who barely did anything at all, Eusine was copy pasted from crystal, cynthia and giovanni needed an event and steven only appeared twice in the entire game and was only a cameo appearence.
    Last edited by Winter Breeze; 9th September 2015 at 10:09 PM.

No, they didn't. They just named the team rocket admins and added lyra... who barely did anything at all. Eusine was copy pasted from crystal, cynthia and giovanni needed an event and steven only appeared twice in the entire game and was only a cameo appearence.
    As opposed to FRLG which had a load of generic NPC Rockets?

I will take FRLG and HGSS over ORAS any day. ORAS just didn't live up to it's full potential and I gave it a 6/10 for effort. FRLG I would give a 8/10 while HGSS I would give a 9/10.

Oh that dog of mine!

I'm not saying that FRLG had better story. I'm saying that HGSS's story wasn't an improvement over G/S/C.

I'm not saying that FRLG had better story. I'm saying that HGSS's story wasn't an improvement over G/S/C.
    Well if we're talking about which remake is the best and HGSS and ORAS make more of an improvement than FRLG in story, then clearly that's a point against FRLG.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast