Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relating to Pokemon with Autism...

Default Relating to Pokemon with Autism...

Does anyone here feel they especially relate to Pokemon due to being on the Autistic spectrome? I feel its a main reason why Pokemon appeals to me so much, dispite how feminine I am. But even in regards to that, I feel my autism is just relatable to the 'training to get stronger everyday' aspect that Pokemon has. Also, Pokemon don't express themselves with words, and while I have a good volcabulary for an aspie (though sometimes i get very confused how to spell some words...), there are words that frighten me so much, that I have a hard time volcalizing some things that might be easier for some other people. Pokemon can only talk saying parts of their names, usually; so I relate to this speech issue a bit, too. I also related to korrina's issues with 'theory of mind' during her anime arc a lot. It may be a major reason she ended up appealing to me so much, cuz I have issues with seeing myself as 'different' from others, too.

I am also aware that Satoshi Tajiri had autism/aspergers too. I'm curious what responses this thread will have...(duno if i'll want to keep up with it if some are negative, though :/ i'm very sensitive and also prone to black and white thinking, anyways)

EDIT: Also, yes, another autistic trait of mine is confusing 'autism' and 'aspergers syndrome'. Its gotten a little better due to aspergers being renamed to 'high fuctioning autism', but I still get confused time to time. And, at the moment, I don't remember if high fuctioning also means volcab issues or not.
    PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE TO LEARN WHAT MAKES ME TICK AND STUFF. its important to me...
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    Gay, happy triox! Wait, gay also means happy, right? :P Riiight?
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.

*drool's over her kawaiiness x3*
    ~Lipstick Lesbian and Proud~ Well, i'm actually bi, but korrina's really the only 'attractive to me' character i ever dare look at on a daily basis, soo... :P
    I have autism too

Hello, my friend!

I've got Asperger's as well, and I can certainly relate to the 'train to get stronger' aspect that you mentioned. I can't say that I can relate to that vocabulary thing, however.

But on the whole, I think my autism has played a different kind of role in my love for Pokémon. Upon being introduced to Pokémon in the late 90s, I was impressed by the large number of them that existed (151 at the time), and I soon became extremely fixated on learning every detail I could about them (their heights, weights, cries, types, etc.). In recent years, I have come to believe this fixation of mine to be an autistic obsession. This would be similar to the obsession with bugs that Satoshi Tajiri had as a kid, interestingly enough.

I have claimed Dialga, Vivi Ornitier, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U), and "In the Final" - Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

My Nintendo Switch is SW-6036-6032-0737. If you're interested in playing Splatoon 2 or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with me, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended Dialga View Post
    Hello, my friend!

I've got Asperger's as well, and I can certainly relate to the 'train to get stronger' aspect that you mentioned. I can't say that I can relate to that vocabulary thing, however.

But on the whole, I think my autism has played a different kind of role in my love for Pokémon. Upon being introduced to Pokémon in the late 90s, I was impressed by the large number of them that existed (151 at the time), and I soon became extremely fixated on learning every detail I could about them (their heights, weights, cries, types, etc.). In recent years, I have come to believe this fixation of mine to be an autistic obsession. This would be similar to the obsession with bugs that Satoshi Tajiri had as a kid, interestingly enough.
    Wow! VERY interesting post! It does sound a lot like Satoshi himself, too^^

I also have a satoshi-ish side to my pokemon fixation, but its more so towards making up my own pokemon in my head than to learning about the real ones XD I've made soooo many. I used to draw my fakes a lot, too, but i haven't really done so in a few years. I should try doing so again sometime :P
    PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE TO LEARN WHAT MAKES ME TICK AND STUFF. its important to me...
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.

~Lipstick Lesbian and Proud~ Well, i'm actually bi, but korrina's really the only 'attractive to me' character i ever dare look at on a daily basis, soo... :P
    I have autism too

Honestly, I've worked around my autism, not through it. It was much easier and less harmful to my health.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

"Resistance. Rebellion. You will burn these ideas away."

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

I run a Pokemon club at a school I work at, and I've noticed that many of the children who attend are ones who are on the spectrum. Its particularly interesting to see this one boy who I believe is on the spectrum, particularly Aspergers, as he's able to recite so much information about pokemon, its as if he's Rotom dex. But like I said, a lot of the children who attend, are on the spectrum, and normally have a hard time when it comes to play times and finding people to play with, but its really beautiful to see these children unite, and get along better than I've ever seen them before. They look after each other in the club and very supportive of each other. Its also brilliant with the children who have behavioural difficulties, they aren't as stand offish as they normally are, and really enjoy Pokemon.

Pokemon Club is one of my proudest achievements working at schools, because its so nice to see how busy the club is, and also because its nice to see children who don't normally attend after school clubs coming to a club for once.

Autism and Aspergers are commonly mixed, but that's because Aspergers is part of the autistic spectrum, professionals are diagnosing less children with Aspergers these days because of how similar it is autism.

Top 3 favourite pokemon
    Sinnoh Anime Fan!

Quote Originally Posted by KingMinun View Post
    I run a Pokemon club at a school I work at, and I've noticed that many of the children who attend are ones who are on the spectrum. Its particularly interesting to see this one boy who I believe is on the spectrum, particularly Aspergers, as he's able to recite so much information about pokemon, its as if he's Rotom dex. But like I said, a lot of the children who attend, are on the spectrum, and normally have a hard time when it comes to play times and finding people to play with, but its really beautiful to see these children unite, and get along better than I've ever seen them before. They look after each other in the club and very supportive of each other. Its also brilliant with the children who have behavioural difficulties, they aren't as stand offish as they normally are, and really enjoy Pokemon.

Pokemon Club is one of my proudest achievements working at schools, because its so nice to see how busy the club is, and also because its nice to see children who don't normally attend after school clubs coming to a club for once.

Autism and Aspergers are commonly mixed, but that's because Aspergers is part of the autistic spectrum, professionals are diagnosing less children with Aspergers these days because of how similar it is autism.
    This post is BEAUTIFUL Pokemon is amazing. I hope one day I meet some fellow pokemon fans irl too (even if i'm right now more into online friendships)(i've been homeschooled, btw XD).

Also, I remember counting all my fake pokemon i made up one time. I had around 250 of them. I've made waaay more pokemon since then. 3 genorations full of them too I just need to draw a lot of the new fakes i came up with someday XD I guess it's more fun to draw real pokemon and korrina drawings for me right now....

I have autism too

Isn't Satoshi Tajiri on the autistic spectrum? That could have something to do with it
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation: Mewtwo, Jirachi, Giratina, Ferrothorn, Klefki
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    Most recent shiny: (HG Random)

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    Isn't Satoshi Tajiri on the autistic spectrum? That could have something to do with it
    That is correct.

Also, I have Asperger's/mild autism myself, and Pokémon has helped me significantly over the last two decades or so.

I have Autism and I've been a Pokémon since it pretty much first came to the UK. I am fascinated by animals, monsters, mythology, prehistory etc. and Pokémon has all of these things, so it was a thing of big interest to me. I loved the idea of befriending these monsters because it meant I could bond with the things I love. This franchise was a huge part of my childhood and fast forward to now, and Pokémon is like my big thing. I can easily remember a Pokémon's base stats, type, moves and many other things about them.

Even now, I sometimes get embarrassed though, because I'm a Autistic mid 20's girl who plays Pokémon. I know I shouldn't, but I sometimes get nervous admitting I like Pokémon in certain situations.

Hey, a club! Can I join it?

I think this is the first time I've ever mentioned it for the at-least decade on this site, but yeah, I've got Asperger's like you all. I pretty much never ever mention it unless someone asks because I usually worry it won't give me a good first impression. That and it's been one of my main reasons for my near-life-long self-hatred, sadly. In any case, it seems the side of it that gets you hooked on stuff has caused me to settle on pokémon for a while now. I'm a similar case to Weavy, though I'm not at the level of having memorized stats, mainly because I'm a bit less of a gamer-type than a good number of poké-fans.

In any case, I can't think of a whole lot connecting to these two things, but there is one which pops out for some reason. I remember once I was wondering to myself whether, given the option, I would have my AS "cured". When I thought it through, I figured I would only try it if it could be reversed if I didn't like the results. If it were permanent, I decided I wouldn't for similar reasons Ash's pikachu decided not to evolve; while it probably would be an objective improvement, it would change me in ways I couldn't predict, meaning I can't safely make that choice because of potential regret.

Maybe that's a bit downer or something, or maybe others might disagree for other reasons (I know a lot of people think pikachu's pretty stupid for deciding to stay pikachu), but it's one thought-process that felt relevant to this thread.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Satomine Night for the awesome banner, and Mechadragon X for the sprite in it!

I like the series for the Pokémon and how relaxing it is for me to play the games. I tend to give nicknames to a lot of the Pokémon I either catch or hatch. Often with a meaning behind the name.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jigglypuff View Post
    I like the series for the Pokémon and how relaxing it is for me to play the games. I tend to give nicknames to a lot of the Pokémon I either catch or hatch. Often with a meaning behind the name.
    Since you posted in this thread, does that mean you're autistic, too? :3

I've always liked animals too even though even though i haven't grown up with a lot of pets. So pokemon gives me a chance to be around animals more, kinda! :3 that's calming for me, cuz people can confuse me a bit too much. People of all types too. But maybe not fellow pokemon fans so much now

I have autism too

I have Asperger's. My main interests are Pokémon, video games, music, drag queens, MLP, and fashion dolls.

I have Asperger's. My main interests are Pokémon, video games, music, drag queens, MLP, and fashion dolls.
    Those are nice interests! :3 I like pokemon (of course), sanrio, my little pony (mostly keeping up with the new eps, for now, though), flowers, spending time with my pet dog, activity books, holidays (but not getting excited about them XD but they're facinating in their concepts and meanings!), posting and chatting on forums, cuteness, wearing make up, chocolate, ice cream, food in general (usually healthier foods, too, really. AND NEVER meat :P), and uhhh likely some other stuff too :3

I have autism too

I forgot one of my main interests: music boxes. I love music boxes and have a huge collection and only collect the mechanical type. I hate the electronic ones that require batteries to play music. Any music box I find in a second hand store or in a gift shop must be able to be wound up. I have some pretty rare and hard to find songs in my collection including 9 to 5 and Gershwin's Summertime and over 100 different music boxes! I even have at least one song that begins with every letter of the English alphabet except X and Z. Zippodee Doo Dah is pretty much the only music box song that starts with Z and there aren't any for X.

I forgot one of my main interests: music boxes. I love music boxes and have a huge collection and only collect the mechanical type. I hate the electronic ones that require batteries to play music. Any music box I find in a second hand store or in a gift shop must be able to be wound up. I have some pretty rare and hard to find songs in my collection including 9 to 5 and Gershwin's Summertime and over 100 different music boxes! I even have at least one song that begins with every letter of the English alphabet except X and Z. Zippodee Doo Dah is pretty much the only music box song that starts with Z and there aren't any for X.
    That collection sounds really neat :3 Music boxes always sounded really pretty to me ^_^

I find it interesting how i'm a girly girl aspie, which I think is more rare than a tomboy one. :P It sorta....show's the world what an aspie would be like if they were of the girly girl personality? Apperently, i'm one, and I like pokemon a lot (most notably, cute/girly ones)(but, yeah, i grew up never being much of a 'tomboy' xD it seems weird to hear that from such a huge a fan of korrina, i'm sure...).

EDIT: The thing is, its not so much i like 'girly' things cuz they're 'for girls'; its more like, they seem light/positive to me? Same goes for Korrina. I see her as like the happiest character ever. She's....not really 'girly', like other things i like, but my reasons for liking her are actually pretty simular. If that makes any sense?
    Last edited by LadyTriox; 16th August 2017 at 11:04 PM.

I have autism too

I have epilepsy meaning i have miclonic seizures. I'm very careful with who i tell about it because then i have no idea if that person would be my friend and accept it or just ridicule me and call me the one word no autistic or mentaly disabled person likes to hear. RE...D.i can relate to ash because everybody has something to prove when u have a dream u want to realize and others keep putin u down ive had epilepsy since age 5.as for pikachu not evolving well i guess pikachu realy needed to prove that u don't need to change just to get stronger.pokemon helps keep me sane happy and most importantly stress free stress is one of the main triggers for an epileptic like me so if u take pokemon out of my life u take away part of my soul.so yes i know how it feels to relate to certain characters from the anime ash has always been a personal favorite of mine. Every game I've played.i named him ash

Quote Originally Posted by KingZekrom333 View Post
    I have epilepsy meaning i have miclonic seizures. I'm very careful with who i tell about it because then i have no idea if that person would be my friend and accept it or just ridicule me and call me the one word no autistic or mentaly disabled person likes to hear. RE...D.i can relate to ash because everybody has something to prove when u have a dream u want to realize and others keep putin u down ive had epilepsy since age 5.as for pikachu not evolving well i guess pikachu realy needed to prove that u don't need to change just to get stronger.pokemon helps keep me sane happy and most importantly stress free stress is one of the main triggers for an epileptic like me so if u take pokemon out of my life u take away part of my soul.so yes i know how it feels to relate to certain characters from the anime ash has always been a personal favorite of mine. Every game I've played.i named him ash
    That's really surprising that you feel that way. I have a couple of friends with epilepsy and they've never felt that way about telling people, so it surprises me that you have been made to feel that way and it also saddens me, that people may put you down because of it, as in my mind, its not something that should restrict your life or your dreams. I wish you wouldn't feel that way because the more people who know, the more support you can get and you'd also help them in a way, you could prepare them for what to expect and what to do when you have a seizure because so many people misunderstand what to do in a situation like that (such a stick something in someones mouth to stop them biting their tongue, you should actually avoid doing that).

Its good though that you have something like Pokemon though to help you and destress.

Top 3 favourite pokemon
    Sinnoh Anime Fan!

I don't have autism myself, although I did know a few Pokemon fans on Tumblr and DeviantArt years ago who were autistic. I rarely pay attention to that kind of thing though since I hardly interact with other fans these days, but reading this thread gave me some intriguing insight. Most notably, I had no idea that Satoshi Tajiri was autistic until today, which I suppose explains why he's so private and elusive.

I have autism, and I can understand the Pokemon series a lot. Then I found out the creator Satoshi Tajiri had autism himself, so I can definitely see why I love Pokemon.
    not sure what to put here
    twitter | tumblr

I can't remember whether I'd heard before that Satoshi Tajiri had autism. That interests me, knowing that I have Asperger's myself.
    To answer your question, I would definitely say that a lot of my attachment to Pokémon as a whole is due to me having Asperger's.

A lot of it probably has to do with the fact that not only is the Pokémon formula good at appealing to a massive audience- it appeals particularly to people like us, I think.
    Pokémon will not judge you regardless of the kind of person you are. If you're nice to them, they're nice to you. If you care for them, they'll fight for you. Their animal-like aspects make this believable.

Not only that, Pokémon as a series presents a world of so many kinds of people and places and Pokémon- it's very easy to jump in and express yourself the way you want to.
    I began a sort of Ash Ketchum-like story for my own character in the Pokémon world at least 10 years ago, and I'm still refining it, to say the least. It's actually meant a lot to me in the last decade.
    To be honest, I like to pretend my Pokémon can talk back to me, and while I know they can't actually talk and that it's weird, it's comforting for me to do. Likely because I've had less contact with my friends- of my own volition- as of late, being in college now.

Moving over to the more logical side, Pokémon also has pretty deep mechanics as well as its sheer volume of information- the Pokédex, of course. An Asperger's person who loves numbers and data can either memorize the entire Dex or take up competitive battles- or both. I got into the VGC metagame last year after realizing that I like the idea of competitive RPG battling over typical fighting games (e.g., Street Fighter). The slower and more methodical pacing of it appeals to me, and I think I prefer that partly because I have Asperger's.
    I say this and yet I'm currently addicted to playing Splatoon 2 every day...

That said, even when I'm raising Pokémon for competitive battling, I still have an emotional attachment to all of them- I give them nicknames, I'd play with them in Amie/Refresh, etc. Most people in VGC don't do that, I'm pretty sure.

I've always embraced the fact that I have Asperger's, and though being socially challenged is pretty rough sometimes, I don't regret having the attachments I do as a result to series such as Pokémon, Mario, etc. Frankly, reading the posts in this thread has felt a bit vindicating to me.
    Last edited by ItsMeBrandon; 9th September 2017 at 6:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by someone on YouTube
    rule #1 never expect the internet to take it easy on you. If there's someone saying something as simple as "I like bread," you will probably get insults, complaints, and nitpicks regardless of how insignificant the statement sounds to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by someone else on YouTube
    Screw off man bread sucks.

What I'm currently doing:

- Taking a break from the VGC metagame with a Nuzlocke... that I started in February
    - Playing something on the Switch
    - Getting ready for another year of classes

~

Quote Originally Posted by Weavy View Post
    Even now, I sometimes get embarrassed though, because I'm a Autistic mid 20's girl who plays Pokémon. I know I shouldn't, but I sometimes get nervous admitting I like Pokémon in certain situations.
    I'll be 25 starting next month, and I'm never afraid to show my love for Pokemon. I think the reason why I'm an autistic person who loves Pokemon is because it helped me learn more about numbers, since that's pretty much what loads of stuff in the Pokemon games is - base stats, the Pokedex, levels etc. are all basically numbers. I think I've heard of people who have become better at maths thanks to Pokemon.

I'm someone who's fascinated by creatures of different natures as well, which is pretty much what the Pokemon are. It also helps that a lot are based on mythological beings as well as stuff in Japanese folklore.
    not sure what to put here
    twitter | tumblr

I'm autistic myself, and have been a huge fan of Pokémon since 2001, although I stayed off it for a few years due to me getting burnt out with it. Black & White got me back into it, and now I've played almost every generation to date.

I think the reason I'm so into Pokémon is because (apparently) the creator had some form of autism or Asperger's, and he loved to catch bugs in his garden and catalogue them, much like Bugsy. I actually think he incorporated some elements of himself into Bugsy, as they are both "walking bug encyclopedias". I also like to collect and catalogue things, which is the other appealing aspect of Pokémon to me.
    I love Canada now and forever.

Sun Team:

Planned Ultra Sun Team:

I have autism spectrum disorder and I've been a big Pokemon fan all my life. I love animation and animals and statistics and Nintendo, so Pokemon covers a lot of bases for my interests. And learning the creator had the same illness was inspiring and made the franchise feel more relatable to me. Also it's very nostalgic and takes me back to a simpler time, which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Charming Charmander View Post
    I have autism spectrum disorder and I've been a big Pokemon fan all my life. I love animation and animals and statistics and Nintendo, so Pokemon covers a lot of bases for my interests. And learning the creator had the same illness was inspiring and made the franchise feel more relatable to me. Also it's very nostalgic and takes me back to a simpler time, which I like.
    I wish I grew up with pokemon like you did :/ I guess it helps that its like all i can talk about with people now in my life, but....I wish I didn't grow up liking stuff like barbie dolls and princesses so much xD; It makes relating to other people i meet so...hard.....

....Yes, I am Korrina's biggest fan, and this is the type of person I am/have been all my life. It is weird. Somehow Korrina still ended up appealing to me more than Valerie, though *shrug*

Still wish I could relate to others a bit more. Or at least....learn to accept them.....

I do have a lot of fears due to all this too. Think you're alone in the world? Hah....welcome to the life of the one person who relates to absolutely, and truly, no one else. Cept for maybe the several people I made up in my head years ago. Imaginary friends. Even after the age of 20.

....yeah.

Yeah, you don't know real problems till you've lived my life. So please; quit complaining already.

None of this is made up either, sad to say. Go ahead and cry. Though I rather.... no one feel sorry for me.
    Last edited by LadyTriox; 11th September 2017 at 10:41 PM.

I have autism too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast