Page 180 of 180 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180
Results 4,476 to 4,489 of 4489

Thread: Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlord7 View Post
    I used to think that Kanto and Johto belonged to the same generation and that Dragonite had nothing to do with Dratini's evolutionary line.
    That's understandable, what with the surprising appearance change in the Dratini Evolution Chain, and the meld of regions in Generation 2.

I remembered another thing I used to do after playing SoulSilver again. I always used to phone up Jasmine and Brock hoping they'd say something nice!
    I have claimed Hoodlum Havoc, Cheren,
    PocketWatchShipping
    The Leader Who Seeks the Right Path
    Everyone has a different dream. Search for your life's purpose.

Credit to Fairy Witch for the team pose.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlord7 View Post
    I used to think that Kanto and Johto belonged to the same generation and that Dragonite had nothing to do with Dratini's evolutionary line.
    If you want to get technical, they are. Kanto and Johto are both available in the same game in Gen II
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

I used to never evolve my Pokemon and just over-level like crazy to get over that. You can imagine how quickly that faded out. Trying to beat Cynthia with a Chimchar, Shinx, and whatever else I had was a nightmarish experience...and yet I repeated this in Gen 5 with Oshawott, Purrloin (which is already garbage to begin with), Lillipup, etc. and when Clay kicked me to the curve I finally stopped.

Oh, and the nicknames were always variations of the Pokemon name i.e. Oshawott was Wotty, Chimchar was Chimpy, Bidoof was Biddie, Lillipup was Lilli, etc. It was ridiculous. To be fair, I was around nine or ten but it doesn't make it any less cringey.
    (((i haven't used this site in about five years so if i mess up call me out)))

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    If you want to get technical, they are. Kanto and Johto are both available in the same game in Gen II
    The funny thing was that I never played the Gold/Silver/Crystal games and only watched Johto from the anime when I was a little kid and even then I didn't realized that Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile were starters. Also I had the tendency to forget some dialogues as well(I think I was like 5-6 years old back then) and only realized that when I heard that GenIII started and I was like "which was the GenII?"

When I was very little (like five or six), it was during gen I, and I remember thinking that every Pokémon eventually evolved into the next in Pokédex order. So Bulbasaur would evolve into Ivysaur and Venusaur, then Charmander, and Charizard would evolve into Squirtle, and so on down the line until they eventually became Mewtwo.

For a long time I thought that Vaporeon was Eevee's only evo.

When I was ten (gen III), I didn't have Ruby or Sapphire yet, but I did have some older games like Crystal. I thought that because Kanto was in G/S/C, R/S must have Kanto and Johto in addition to Hoenn.

When I was older, I developed a bad habit of restarting my games way too much. Because of this, I've actually deleted save files with things like shinies and event legendaries on them.
    I have schizophrenia. Deal with it.

When I was a kid, I thought the only purpose of natures was to indicate which PokéBlock flavors the Pokémon likes and dislikes; I didn't know natures actually had an effect on a Pokémon's stats.

I have claimed Dialga, Vivi Ornitier, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U), and "In the Final" - Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

I'm 26 now. HELP!

My first Pokemon game was Colosseum. Back then, I used to think temporary stat changes were permanent. During one battle (all doubles in that game) when the opponent only had a weak Shroomish left and couldn't do much to me, I actually spent a good while having my Espeon use Calm Mind and then having my Umbreon use Snatch every other turn in an effort to permanently raise their stats. There was also another battle where some CPU trainer kept using Icy Wind, which lowers speed, and I got really mad at him using it over and over, not realizing that the speed drop would wear off after the battle (or if you switched out).

Edit: OH, just thought of something else! Before Colosseum, I had played a bit of Pokemon Stadium 2, using rental pokemon because I didn't have the GameBoy games. I didn't understand type matchups yet, much less type immunities, and I kept using Thunder on a Geodude, wondering why it wouldn't work. I thought it would work eventually and kept trying lol.

Edit #2: Another dumb thing, also about Colosseum! First of all, I didn't realize poison would still hurt your pokemon outside of battle. the way they showed it in that game was by having the screen flash red and a weird electrical/static-type SFX would play and it really confused me. there's some building that's important to the story... can't remember exactly but it was like some power-generating room and I thought maybe they were having issues and went to go check it out :P of course, my pokemon being poisoned eventually led me to heal it so I never saw the "[pokemon] fainted..." message outside of battle. I never knew what triggered that until I played Ruby and the screen did that jiggly thing to indicate poison wearing your pokemon down. I'm sooo glad poison doesn't do that anymore.

Edit #3: Oh boy, another one. I always assumed every pokemon got STAB on normal-type moves.
    Last edited by Scherzando; 26th April 2017 at 6:04 AM.
    Zeki | 1306-6720-7342 | Friend Safari: Dwaaagooons (Fraxure, Shelgon, Sliggoo)

My Apricorn/HA Pokemon for Trade - Now giving away FREE 5IV Pokemon of over 20 species! Check the "Free Competitive 5IVs" tab at the bottom to see what I have to offer!

I used to think that moves had a secondary "effectiveness" based on what the action was. For example, Cut would be super-effective against Grass types despite being a Normal move because it was used to cut down grass and bushes in the overworld. I also thought that Dig was good against psychic types because it would always one-hit KO them. I now realise it did that because it was a 100 BP physical move at the time (RBY) and most Psychics had low Defence.
    Currently Playing

White 2 Version

It took me until Emerald to realize that Bug was no longer to Poison attacks. I kept wondering why moves like Sludge Bomb wasn't being super effective on Beautifly. I thought it was an error for awhile.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

When I first played Pokémon X, it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to change my clothes at the very beginning.

.....Then I replayed it a few months ago and it took me five minutes to remember how to change again.
    WIP

Alpha Sapphire team: Current badges: 6

OMG THIS IS THE ULTIMATE STUPID KID BELIEF. I have no idea why I thought this, but when I saw all the shiny pokemon sprites next to their original sprites in Serebii's pokedex, I thought that that was how all pokemon looked in Sapphire and that Ruby had all the original colorations. That's why I bought Ruby despite liking Kyogre more than Groudon, not realizing that those sprites were shinies and only had a small chance to appear in either game. I wanted all the originally-colored pokemon that I had grown up with. xD What can I say, it was my first experience with any series that had two similar games released at the same time and I didn't understand what might've made them so different from each other. Had to be something dramatic like that.

I, like most people it seems, used to mash A when catching a pokemon. it always seemed to help, and whenever I didn't buttonmash, the pokemon would always break out so I was convinced it worked. after reading that it doesn't do anything, I stopped that habit and I don't miss it. xD

I thought, when catching a pokemon, that they'd get "tired" of trying to break out after a while and your chances of catching it would actually get better the more balls you threw. didn't know it was a set chance that just has to work eventually.

I thought Psychic was still supereffective against Ghost in 3rd gen because I saw some psychic-type move supereffective against my Haunter and I didn't know it was part poison. I noticed a lot of people thought psychic was supereffective against grass because of Venusaur and Vileplume and such, but at least I knew that was wrong lol.

Used to pronounce Suicune as "SOO-ih-sine." Some other post here mentioned the exact same thing. xD

In Colosseum, I always used an Altaria and it knew the move Fly. I relied on that move a LOT and it was the attack I used the most out of all my pokemon. Then when it came time to learn Sky Attack, I tried to have it forget Fly, but Colosseum's message was something like "that move is too well-learned to have it forget the move right now" and I thought that meant it was because I had used it too many times and it was drilled into my Altaria's brain. HMs aren't even used in that game so why can't we forget them??

This one may be a little confusing but I thought Rare Candies gave pokemon the experience they needed to level up and it would overflow to the next level. As a result, I gave my Absol a rare candy when it was reeeaaally close to leveling up, thinking that it would be put at the next level, still being close to leveling up. Nope, all that experience AND the rare candy were wasted lol.
    Zeki | 1306-6720-7342 | Friend Safari: Dwaaagooons (Fraxure, Shelgon, Sliggoo)

My Apricorn/HA Pokemon for Trade - Now giving away FREE 5IV Pokemon of over 20 species! Check the "Free Competitive 5IVs" tab at the bottom to see what I have to offer!

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldLeafBlade View Post
    When I was very little (like five or six), it was during gen I, and I remember thinking that every Pokémon eventually evolved into the next in Pokédex order. So Bulbasaur would evolve into Ivysaur and Venusaur, then Charmander, and Charizard would evolve into Squirtle, and so on down the line until they eventually became Mewtwo.
    An isolated case of this happened to me, too. I used to think that Sharpedo evolved into Wailmer because Wailmer followed Sharpedo in the Pokedex, and I hadn't seen Wailord yet. So, I caught a Sharpedo and started leveling it up even though I already had a Wailmer just to test my theory, and I discovered I was wrong.

On the subject of Sharpedo > Wailmer, I continued thinking that until Megas got released, at which point I thought it was weird that it wasn't for Wailord :/

And on another note, I had real difficulties deciphering what some of the sprites were when I was little - I can't quite remember the one that took me ages to see properly, but I do remember thinking that Pinsir had its butt sticking up in the air instead of just having pincers on its head.

One time, my brother had a really good Pidgeot on his team. One day when he turned on the game, it had vanished! He was convinced that it had fainted so many times that it had died.
    Ever since then, I've had a fear in my heart of my Pokemon fainting too often, else they perish.
    I think that incident is the reason I save my game so often and still have trouble letting my Pokemon faint to this day...
    Ain't that just the way?

Over the Garden Wall (2014)

Page 180 of 180 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180