Page 178 of 181 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181 LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 4501

Thread: Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

I used to thought that Raichu was Pikachu's brother/cousin.
    Still need to buy/play Pokémon Moon (or Sun)....

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    I would mention trying to breed Gardevoir with a humanshape Pokemon, but that's common sense
    I tried this when I started to breed by egg groups. I was curious to why my Gardevoir haven't produced an egg for a long time. When I found out what Gardevoir's egg group belongs to, my jaw dropped for a long time. What's worse is I was already in my late teens when I tried this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini310 View Post
    Speaking of evolution families, I once thought the Pidgey line goes like this: Pidgeotto -> Pidgeot -> Pidgey. I had an argument with my cousin with this since he thinks that the line goes like this: Pidgey -> Pidgeot -> Pidgeotto. I watched my cousin play Pokemon Blue to prove each other's arguments. When we found out the Pidgey evolves into Pidgeotto, we then realized that both of us were wrong.

xerxes is offline ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    Wasn't there a radio station in the 2nd generation games that played flute music? I think that's how I remember my cousin doing it (I haven't played a Johto game myself)
    Oh right, I think that was it in HGSS. Unfortunately, little me didn't use the radio much and didn't think that the stations would be different in Kanto. There's probably NPCs that tell you this but I didn't understand it. Ah well!
    ビビビビィト コンティニューズ!!!(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

latest shiny

DexNav @ 252 encounters

16/01/2017
    [ alpha sapphire ]

current hunt: marine life of hoenn, [moon ball] minior

I'm not sure if this qualifies as stupid but tactically it probably wasn't the best idea. I made sure that my Hitmonlee knew metronome just so it would do random odd moves. It was back in gen 1 so Hitmonlee wasn't exactly gifted with the best moves at the time but mine due to this just kept doing random ones and in most battles i did this instead of it's regular moves . Was it fun? absolutely, but i'll admit it wasn't necessarily the best use.

Back in the days of RBY when I finally made it to Celadon City and bought a Fire Stone, I was so confused when it wouldn't work on my Charmeleon. I was so frustrated because Charizard was the coolest pokémon ever and I wanted it. I thought the evolution stones would work on any pokémon of that type, and it'd just evolve them immediately as opposed to having to raise them to a certain level. Evolution in those days was still so obscure, before the days of everything being available on the internet. Also took me forever to figure out Trade Evolutions existed (I leveled Haunter all the way to level 70 completely confused as to why it still hadn't evolved into Gengar), and even longer after that to figure out without internet how to evolve Seadra, Scyther, and Onix in the days of GSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini310 View Post
    Depending on your perspective and breeding, he is
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

Mashing buttons when throwing a Pokeball, thinking it would increase the chance of capture.

Creator of Origins (non-profit)

http://www.byond.com/games/Hinashou/Origins

Setting my alarm for 11:55 every night for a week or more because I'd been told by a "reliable source" (*cough*older brother*coughcough*) that applying a moon stone to an Eevee at midnight was the only way to get an Umbreon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinashou View Post
    Mashing buttons when throwing a Pokeball, thinking it would increase the chance of capture.
    My brothers and I used to do this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile Leaf Blade View Post
    Also took me forever to figure out Trade Evolutions existed (I leveled Haunter all the way to level 70 completely confused as to why it still hadn't evolved into Gengar), and even longer after that to figure out without internet how to evolve Seadra, Scyther, and Onix in the days of GSC.
    I was guilty of this particular misunderstanding in GSC as well. I think I raised a Scyther all the way into the mid-50's without understanding why it wouldn't evolve before I finally figured it all out, but I was also like 7.
    ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

I actually thought you COULD breed Snorlax for Munchlax on FR/LG.
    And I believed in the "Hold A/B" thing until the HG/SS days.

I, like many people who started with gen 1, experienced the usual fake rumors; and of course I believed every one of them! Evolutions that didn't exist, being able to ride on the S.S. Anne after it leaves, etc. Most of these I would overhear while riding to and from school on the bus. One in particular my cousin told me; he said that there was also an elite three in the game. He told me they were super hard to find and that he couldn't tell me how to reach them.

Another one a friend told me on the bus was that you could actually write notes in the diary in Pokemon TCG for gameboy. He also told me that he wouldn't show me how to do it, as it was a big secret and he didn't want many people to know.
    Send me a PM if you want to chat!

I still sometimes try and do button combos to make a ball work better. Probably has become a habit, so I usually don't even think about it, but a second later I'll be like "What am I doing?" but at that point meh, might as well just live with the false idea that it works, makes the dreaded three shakes more enjoyable.

Was unaware of trade evolutions as well, so had some cases where I had a Pokemon with me for a while and leveled it up high and thought "What's going on?". I think it was only in Blue's time though.

Also, during B/W time, I started doing EV training, and I thought I understood it, but I basically was just adding on the EV bonus to the base stat of a Pokemon, but I guess that's more of an issue of not knowing about there being calculations for stats. Realized my mistake during the same games.

Not sure when exactly it was(I think in Crystal's time), I thought eggs just hatched overtime as you played, so one time I went to sleep with my game on expecting them to be hatched in the morning...obviously didn't happen.

I'm sure I believed all the common rumors back in the first two(and maybe third) gens.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

First time getting pokerus I thought it would kill my pokemon. But well, because of pkrs I started to getting known things like EV/IV and all that shait.

I was still small and when I had that pink butterfree it magically flew away and I was so sad. My cousin told me that it was because I was a bad trainer and that's why it flew away. I was so upset about it.

There was this one time that someone told me that you had to trade starters to get them to evolve. I was fooled into believing that starters were the hardest pokemon to evolve.

I thought thunderbolt was Pikachu's ultimate move, all thanks to the anime.

My friend told me that I had to use these Ev lowering berries to evolve a golbat into a crobat.

I was so convinced that Water/Electric types had no weaknesses....

I was a silly kid, what can I say?

Breed List ~
    Finished my breed list ~

Current majoooooor wants :
    ♪ Sandile - Dream Ball/Fast Ball
    ♪HA Klefki - Heavy Ball/Love Ball

My FC? Hmm...
    4614-0610-4174
    IGN : Yachi

Quote Originally Posted by xYachu View Post

My friend told me that I had to use these Ev lowering berries to evolve a golbat into a crobat.

To be fair, the EV lowering Berries raise Happiness, which is what Golbat needs to evolve into Crobat. Don't have to use them, but they help out a lot, especially if you have a bunch of them(Which I guess probably wasn't very easy in most games).
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    To be fair, the EV lowering Berries raise Happiness, which is what Golbat needs to evolve into Crobat. Don't have to use them, but they help out a lot, especially if you have a bunch of them(Which I guess probably wasn't very easy in most games).
    He told me it was the only way to evolve it. So I ended up stuffing my Golbat back in my box. Forgetting about its existence.

Breed List ~
    Finished my breed list ~

Current majoooooor wants :
    ♪ Sandile - Dream Ball/Fast Ball
    ♪HA Klefki - Heavy Ball/Love Ball

My FC? Hmm...
    4614-0610-4174
    IGN : Yachi

I........gave every pokemon in my party Hyper Beam because it looked cool and it was a "great move" (according to the primary school me)

Now I just cringe everytime I think about it :/

I traded my LV 100 Girantina for a LV 51 Garchomp in Platinum because I couldn't find a Gabite

I also never knew the pc existed :P young me was dumb

I also believed that if I left my DS on all night with mystery gift on I would eventually get an event. I thought I would be smart and have it charge so it wouldn't go dead but all I got was the words no gift found burnt into my screen when I checked it the next day
    Last edited by Canto; 11th February 2017 at 9:40 PM.

In Diamond I used my master ball on the eastern shellos cuz I thought it was shiny.
    In conjuncture with that, I thought releasing pokemon gave you their pokeball back.
    I grew up playing FR/LG, so when I played Red I thought the game was glitched cuz I couldn't go to the Sevii islands, so I sold it to a friend for 5$
    I didn't even pay attention to stats, I thought they were just for flavour, so I used pokemon like Dragonite and Charizard as special attackers and I actually tried a Sneazel as a Tank because I thought ghost was strong against dark and it took little damage from Gaspar (.E.I. betrayal in a trade),

When I first started playing, I thought HP was the only stat. I also had no clue about status moves.
    Sometimes, it's not who, what, when or how. It's why.

Placing my finger over the DS charger hole and feeling very determined whenever I tried to catch something in the hope that my emotions would make it work.

I was dumb.
    Banner by me!

Serebii.net Fanfiction Profile

Note: I often struggle to get motivated to write or draw. Just because I don't update a story or my art gallery in a while does not mean that I've given up on that story or drawing. If I decide to cancel a project, I will post in the corresponding thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSonic View Post
    Did they ever figure out who let the dogs out?
    Ongoing Stories:
    Bonds Between Children of Tragedy ~ Pokemon White Abridged ~ Encounters of an Elite Four Member
    One-Shots:
    Left Alone ~ A Simple Kalosian's Story
    Gallery:
    Nerdy McNerdface's Chibi Gallery

One misconception I had earlier on was that mud slap (and other moves with "mud" in them) was part water type. I remember seeing it being super effective on a fire type and figuring it was because mud had water in it, so mud slap must be a water/ground move. I was genuinely surprised the first time I saw earthquake cause super-effective damage on a fire type.

I guess it would take the games a while before they implemented dual-typed moves.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Satomine Night for the awesome banner, and Mechadragon X for the sprite in it!

I had heard when I was younger that an adamant natured Pokémon was good (which is true) but I didn't understand nature's at all so EVERY Pokémon I had HAD to be adamant (like Latios and Alakazam, etc.)
    Last edited by JohnnyBlaze; 13th February 2017 at 5:00 AM.
        Spoiler:- Credits:

When I was very young, I kept calling some real life animals Pokémon names.
    For example: Caterpillar = Caterpie, mouse: "That looks like Ratata!", pony: Ponyta

Also, I thought mating Ditto with another Pokémon (I think it was supposed to be a Legendary like Mew) would produce Mewtwo. Or was it another Ditto? I also thought that I was actually talking to Pikachu even without the Pika Mic when I was playing Hey You Pikachu! It was because of the immense bond we shared.
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    Mallow-Lillie friendship duo; a bond so close, even the butler ships it!
    -Lady Lana: Full time big sister, part time kickasser
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -SM Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

I thought I only needed to use one Pokemon for fighting. This was back in Generation 1. I started with a Bulbasaur.

Surprisingly, this actually worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ereshkigal View Post
    I thought I only needed to use one Pokemon for fighting. This was back in Generation 1. I started with a Bulbasaur.

Surprisingly, this actually worked.
    I still have the nagging feeling that it's required to catch the regional bird/beginner Pokémon.
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    Mallow-Lillie friendship duo; a bond so close, even the butler ships it!
    -Lady Lana: Full time big sister, part time kickasser
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -SM Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

Page 178 of 181 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181 LastLast