Page 5 of 150 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by xsedr View Post
    1. Training more than 1 pokemon in game was next to impossible (started in blue, lasted until Ruby)
    2. Every single Mew/Togepi/Pikablu/Glitch City theory (The truck, bill's garden, alot with Oak, and beating the E4 100 times)
    3. There was nothing wrong with using rare candies (and then wondering why all my awesome level 100, 0 ev pokemon couldn't win 1 battle frontier battle.)
    4. Stat Lowering moves lasted until you went to a pokemon center. Not that I actually cared about stats until Platinum.
    5. Hyper Beam/Fire Blast/Blizzard/Thunder were the greatest
    6. Expected Pikachu to curbstomp Onix anime style (needless to say I used a Nidoqueen every other Yellow playthrough)
    7. In Yellow, Blue and Silver I thought a masterball was the only way to catch a legendary, restricting you to one per game.
    8. Hit hard and fast and only use the Adamant and Modest natures (when I started EV training). No wonder I never won a frontier symbol
    9. Keckleon was the reward for showing professer Elm all 251 pokemon in Silver (damn anime showing it in the second gen) and very rarely you could go to space on a perfect day in Ruby and find Jirachi. Also I thought Mt. Silver was impossible to reach without cheats (I just wanted a sneasel)
    10. Nicknaming your Torchic Blaze would cause rare pokemon to apear more (it actually seemed to work)
    11. Pressing a and moving the control pad aided in the capture.
    12. Up until Platinum (this ones really bad) I used to avoid every single trainer battle I could, and I have no idea why. And this was when I used a whole team so I would end up with level 40s in the E4.
    I sometimes wonder how we were so gullible and imaginative. The good old days
    I used to do that, especially in gyms. I made a game out of how many trainers I could avoid. Facepalm, right? I mean, had I not heard of exp?? Jeez, was I a moron.

The dumbest thing I ever did was in yellow version, whereupon I was having trouble catching a Onix. The little bugger would not stay in the pokeball. My answer? 'Mwahaha, let's see you get out of this Masterball, Onix.' No, really. I actually used my only masterball on an onix. Dear god, I was a moron.
    - Hiatus Notice -

I'm sorry to do this, but I won't be posting in the Serebii Discussion Forums anymore. My account here will remain open for trading/chatting with friends, but please be patient for a reply as my visits here will be fewer.

I've left for the greener pastures of Bulbagarden Forums, where free speech is still allowed and the rules are followed by all, including those who enforce them.

It's been a fun 3 years ~

Back in the R/B/Y days, everybody 'knew'' Hyper Beam was the ultimate attack. lol
    My White FC: 0132-1250-5458

I was couldnt mow the grass as a kid because as we all know, wild pokemon roam in the tall grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Carina View Post
    Back in the R/B/Y days, everybody 'knew'' Hyper Beam was the ultimate attack. lol
    back then it was, if it knocked out the opponent you didn't need to recharge, making Tauros a beast!
    Minncinno used Substitute!Minncinno used Thunderbolt!

Serebii.net, come for the Pokemon news, stay for the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by xsedr View Post
    1. Training more than 1 pokemon in game was next to impossible (started in blue, lasted until Ruby)
    2. Every single Mew/Togepi/Pikablu/Glitch City theory (The truck, bill's garden, alot with Oak, and beating the E4 100 times)
    3. There was nothing wrong with using rare candies (and then wondering why all my awesome level 100, 0 ev pokemon couldn't win 1 battle frontier battle.)
    4. Stat Lowering moves lasted until you went to a pokemon center. Not that I actually cared about stats until Platinum.
    5. Hyper Beam/Fire Blast/Blizzard/Thunder were the greatest
    6. Expected Pikachu to curbstomp Onix anime style (needless to say I used a Nidoqueen every other Yellow playthrough)
    7. In Yellow, Blue and Silver I thought a masterball was the only way to catch a legendary, restricting you to one per game.
    8. Hit hard and fast and only use the Adamant and Modest natures (when I started EV training). No wonder I never won a frontier symbol
    9. Keckleon was the reward for showing professer Elm all 251 pokemon in Silver (damn anime showing it in the second gen) and very rarely you could go to space on a perfect day in Ruby and find Jirachi. Also I thought Mt. Silver was impossible to reach without cheats (I just wanted a sneasel)
    10. Nicknaming your Torchic Blaze would cause rare pokemon to apear more (it actually seemed to work)
    11. Pressing a and moving the control pad aided in the capture.
    12. Up until Platinum (this ones really bad) I used to avoid every single trainer battle I could, and I have no idea why. And this was when I used a whole team so I would end up with level 40s in the E4.
    I sometimes wonder how we were so gullible and imaginative. The good old days
    1) That's happened and I STILL do it. o.o
    2) Yup.
    3) Haha, I remember doing that but I didn't do it that much, because well....I couldn't find any Rare Candies that much.
    4) Never happened to me.
    5) I always loved Blizzard. xD
    6) Lol. Really?
    7) Oh, I remember that too, and I once caught one with a Pokeball when I was 8 and I was like, "What the?"
    8) I always used the Modest nature but not Adamant.
    9) Never happened.
    10) That's happened to me before. o:
    11) That happened sometimes. O.o
    12) I used to run from every wild Pokemon battle. o_o
    I'm a Flareon. x3 I love Eeveelutions, I collect 'em.

I also have every Pokemon game, yayyyy.

That's my team in SoulSilver.

Hope you enjoyed my useless Siggy.

Bai!

Back in my younger days I would think that Pikachu could beat every pokemon in the game with his all powerful Thunder attack.

Boy was I wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron751 View Post
    Back in my younger days I would think that Pikachu could beat every pokemon in the game with his all powerful Thunder attack.

Boy was I wrong.
    To be fair, if you watch the anime it's perfectly understandable why you would think that. Ash's Pikachu beat a bloody Onix, for crying out loud.
    - Hiatus Notice -

I'm sorry to do this, but I won't be posting in the Serebii Discussion Forums anymore. My account here will remain open for trading/chatting with friends, but please be patient for a reply as my visits here will be fewer.

I've left for the greener pastures of Bulbagarden Forums, where free speech is still allowed and the rules are followed by all, including those who enforce them.

It's been a fun 3 years ~

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari94 View Post
    another thing i unfortunately believed was the way to get deoxys and jirachi on r/s.
    i remember reading on the internet that if the space tower in mosdeep city reached 50 successful launches you could go into space and catch jirachi. and then if it got to 100 you could go into space again to catch deoxys. unless it was the other way around. so there i was playing for ages catching more and more pokemon to try and get the count up hoping i could go into space and catch them
    ...now that i look on it...i can't believe i thought it was true.
    Lol, I heard that too.

I used to believe...

- Heracross was Pinsir's evolution.
    - Rock against Fire was not very effective.
    - There was a secret tunnel under the white stone in Mossdeep City (R/S) that leaded to Jirachi and could only be removed by event.
    - The Sky Pillar was a glitch.
    - Flygon was a rare pokemon found in the desert (didn't know it evolved from Trapinch >.>).

Yeah, nooby.
    Name: Jonux
    Platinum FC: 4426-2005-7244

Before the 4th Gen games came out, a friend of mine duped me into thinking Lucario was the "advanced" form of Mightyena. :P

Yeah, I'm pretty gullible sometimes.

I have claimed Alucard (Hellsing), Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji), and Laguna Loire (Final Fantasy VIII).
    Hellsing, Street Fighter, The Elder Scrolls, Dangan Ronpa, Bleach, Homestuck, Black Butler, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica fan.
    Sig made by Izagar.
    3DS FC: 3738 0398 8876 Mikan
    Friend Safari: Ground (Wooper, Camerupt, and Palpitoad)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_SGG View Post
    Actually I'm back b/c I plugged in my amp and playing one note when my grandpa came in and told me to stfu

So now I'm just sitting here stroking my guitar while naked

Oddly enough, when I first started Pokèmon, I didn't train too few pokemon, I trained too many! I would catch any Pokèmon I found, and tried to train them all! I could never beat the game because I was so underleveled from trying to raise 15+ Pokèmon at once, and had to resort to leaving them all weaker than the next boss, save for the ones I planned to use against him/her. I eventually realized that that wasn't the best method, and switched to catching only Pokèmon I planned to use.

Plus, I taught all my Pokèmon only STAB moves, not even knowing about STAB until recently. And I never learned any non-damaging moves.

Proud member of the Survivor: Nintendo Forums!

Who says the preschoolers aren't ten, hmm?

i heard the mosdeep launch theory to but the version i heard was that once you got there you had to go through a maze of black holes and if you fell in to one your entire save file was deleted

man was i a noob
    I claimed the epic Kojondo! It's an epic fighting, U-turning, regenerating and perhaps the best scouting, kitty looking pokemon.

I am looking for a non Japanese ditto to help with some madusa method breeding
    I can offer a snivy(male) or zorua(male/female) for trading
    So PM me to organize a trade

I miss pokemon contests copy this to your sig if you do too (started by pokeman13)

I believed that you could go to the moon and catch mew in Emerald
    I believed you could only have 6 pokemon thru the whole game
    I thought Altering Cave had a Legendary
    I thought Torkoal was the evolution of Camerupt
    I thought Slugma was a Hoenn class pokemon
    Ive always thought that theres a secret glitch in one of the games that brings u to a legendary (I dreamt this and to this day I think its a sign)
    I had this theory that ALL CPU trainers and wild pokemon attacks were chosen by a Nintendo worker at a computer, who got owned all day as his/her job
    Thunder Ghouls is getting low on members and we could use your support. Join us
    FC for Trading and Battling:2666 3899 5906
    Name: Azukan(happyface) Record: 3W-8L
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/344uwsj.gif[/IMG] I have alot of bred Deinos. They need homes.

My Best Friend Pokemon: Smashy Gorebyss Honchkrow     Spoiler:- Credits:

Unhappy

ooooo i just remembered something

i used to think that the altering cave had a passage to the kanto region that unlocked after you you did something after finding something like the cave in my fire red

also i once left my GBA and my fire red at home while i was at school and my sister found it and she found a rattata lv 2 and thought it was really cute so she used the only pokeball i had at the time, my MASTER BALL to catch it i almost killed her when i got to articuno
    I claimed the epic Kojondo! It's an epic fighting, U-turning, regenerating and perhaps the best scouting, kitty looking pokemon.

I am looking for a non Japanese ditto to help with some madusa method breeding
    I can offer a snivy(male) or zorua(male/female) for trading
    So PM me to organize a trade

I miss pokemon contests copy this to your sig if you do too (started by pokeman13)

You were gonna waste a master ball on Articuno?
    I just remembered that I knocked Arty out because I thought it'd show up again.
    -_-

Cower before ME!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
    You were gonna waste a master ball on Articuno?
    I used a Master Ball on Zapdos before. I always find the legendary trios to be the most difficult legendary Pokémon to catch for some reason.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Well when I was a kid, like most younger people, I thought the higher leveled Pokemon always won and didn't have a clue as to what stats actually did. I'd use rare candies like crazy to just mass level the Pokemon. Now I NEVER use rare candies and know better

I used to only use attack moves on pokemon. I didn't use moves like roost or swords dance for a long time.
    Who the hell do you think I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm gonna be king of the pirates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i used to think that if i lost to a gym leader i had to start the game from the begginin unless i saved the game b4 and restarted it just b4 i lost so i wouldnt have to start again and i thought that i could make my pokemon walk outside there pokeballs if they were first in my party b4 hg/ss came out

I wasted my Masterball on an Onix because I couldn't catch it.

And I didn't know you had to weaken Pokémon bewfore you caught them.

Currently trying to fix the mistakes I've made.
        Spoiler:- Sad story:

Quote Originally Posted by MKFC View Post
    I wasted my Masterball on an Onix because I couldn't catch it.

And I didn't know you had to weaken Pokémon bewfore you caught them.
    A similar thing happened to me but with Magikarp. I threw 3 normal Pokeballs at it when I didn't know that you had to weaken Pokemon. The worst thing is, I realised that it cost $600 and thought I should have bought it from the evil Magikarp salesman for $500.
    Rainbow Dash is best pony.

Oh dear god where to begin...

There was the time where I was constantly using double team and wondering why I was being hit by the opponent who was using Shock Wave.

Tried using Dig on a Pidgy

I thought Splash attack would do damage if used on the water and against Tentacool

That you could get Yoshi in the original Red and Blue, though I never seen it done or tried it myself.

I used to think when I first played pokemon in Walmart that you only needed to knock out the pokemon and it would appear in your party automatically.

- That Sudowoodo was a Grass-type Pokemon.
    - That you could breed Legendaries and Ditto after doing various things.
    - That Miltank and Tauros were the same pokemon but different genders.
    - That thought moves that did not do direct damage were pointless.
    - That Slowking is an evolution of Slowbro
    - That there was only one Nurse Joy and one Officer Jenny and i got very confused as to how they got around everywhere so quickly...
    - That stat lowering moves were permanent and lowered stats by 1. 15 > 14 etc
    - That when catching a pokemon and the ball shook twice before breaking out with the caption "Oh no it appeared to be caught" meant that this was another trainers pokemon just wandering around, i then proceeded to knock it out.
    I have Stoss/Aromatherapy/Counter/Natural Cure/Bold Chansey for trade. PM me if interested.

First run through Red version, back when I was 10 or so, I thought it was impossible to get Mewtwo because I beat the pokemon league and thought it was all over.

Also thought there was a way in-game to get mew back then, too.

Signiture template thanks to varanus_komodoensis

My Pokémon Website: Ace Trainers United
    Ace Trainers United Facebook Group
    Pokémon X Version: Alex - 2535-4116-7272
    Friend Safari: Poison -

I originally thought that stat lowering moves didn't do anything. About 2 minutes into the game I realized this was not the not the case, but still thought they were worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Trainer Alex View Post
    Also thought there was a way in-game to get mew back then, too.
    Well, actually, there is a way. ...Unfortunately, it wasn't discovered back when I was a kid playing red/blue. D=

..But I think I know what you mean by mew rumors. I fell for the whole 'push the truck near the S.S. Anne and you get mew' one. I also believed some kid when he said that on very rare occasions, you could find Flareon on the first route (the one right outside of Pallet Town). ..And I'm sure that there were plenty of other stupid things that I believed back then... -__-

EDIT: I just remembered something else. The first time i went on Cycling Road in Red, I thought my game was broken. XD
    Last edited by cannibaleyes; 18th December 2010 at 6:01 AM.
    3DS FC:1848 2955 3635 IGN: Cannibal

Free Pokemon for you! =D
    No longer taking RNG requests at the moment; too busy squeeing over X and Y. x)

I can breed in English and German in Kalos. ;o

2/23/2014: National Pokedex completed! =D

Page 5 of 150 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast