Thread: My 1st Practiced 5th-Gen RMT

Default My 1st Practiced 5th-Gen RMT

Hi. This is my first practiced attempt at a competitive 5th-Gen team. I would appreciate feedback you can offer me.

My team at a glance:

| | | | |

Stealth Rock & Roll
    Nuttre @ Rugged Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Nature: Brave
    EVs: 252 Atk / 120 Def / 136 Sp. Def (0 Speed IVs)
    -Gyro Ball
    -Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Explosion / Leech Seed

I think this guy is pretty obvious, but just in case it isn't ... this guy is my lead. He's got the bulk to set up Spikes and Stealth Rock, then deal some serious damage with Gyro Ball (BP 150 vs lead Erufuun with no speed investment). And when hit with a physical attack, he strips away over a quarter of the foe's health. This actually makes me think Nuttre might be better suited as a backup lead, so he can come in against a physical attack it resists and start to set up slightly later in the match. In the last slot, Explosion is a lovely parting gift, but I'm wondering if Leech Seed wouldn't work better in some cases. I'm considering replacing one of these with Stealth Rock, but I'm not sure which one. Maaaybe Leech Seed. The EVs are to maximize his attack as well as boosting his longevity, but I'm thinking of putting those Atk EVs into HP for more longevity.

Trick Sheep
    Erufuun @ Leftovers
    Ability: Mischievous Heart
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 124 Sp. Def / 4 Speed (to outrun other Erufuun)
    -Encore
    -Toxic
    -Substitute
    -Stun Spore / Leech Seed / Taunt / Cotton Guard

Ah yes, Erufuun. I like this pokemon, she's my other candidate for lead, or more accurately anti-lead, but she also works well working against pokemon who try to set up for a sweep by dancing, as well as breaking stalls. (On a side not, powering up by dancing? Seriously, Nintendo?) As for moves, Encore is just hax. It traps the foe in an innocuous move, letting you set up a substitute, Toxic, and just wait for the other guy to die. Substitute is just in case my opponent switches his pokemon out for something more offensive, giving me a turn to set up Toxic on it before fleeing the scene. I'm having a little trouble deciding on the fourth move. Stun Spore has its uses, and has a lot of PP so I have something to use while I'm waiting it out, but she could also be a top-notch sub-seeder. Taunt could be used, and Cotton Guard would make her a very bulky annoyer on both ends of the spectrum. The EVs are to maximize longevity, and 4 EVs in Speed in order to outrun other Erufuun with no Speed investment.

Water Balloon OF DOOOOOM
    Burungeru @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb (Cursed Body?)
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Sp. Def
    -Boiling Water
    -Shadow Ball
    -Toxic
    -Recover

Now this is a fun pokemon. I've brought him (yes, him, the female version looks like a w****) in on my opponent, poisoned him or burned him, then either waited it out, did the same to the foe's replacement, or switched out to another pokemon, his job done. Boiling Water is a STAB that has a decent chance to burn the opponent, Shadow Ball is his other STAB. Toxic is, well, Toxic, and Recover for ... recovery. Yeah. Pretty obvious stuff here. EVs are obvious, to maximize longevity for better stalling. I am considering replacing his ability with Cursed Body, but I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Lumberjack Dragon
    Ononokusu @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed (HP?)
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Brick Break
    -Shadow Claw

Ononokusu, my revenge killer. This guy is good at one thing and one thing only: breaking things. He comes in on a KO against an enemy who's giving me trouble, and unless the other guy can knock him out in one hit he generally takes the other guy out. And, oftentimes, a good chuck of the next guy. The moves and stat spread here are so obvious, I'm not even going to bother mentioning them. Though, I am considering putting those Speed EVs into HP for a little more longevity. I mean, does he really need the Speed when he has a Choice Scarf?

My Little Kerudio
    Kerudio @ Leftovers
    Ability: Justice Heart
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed
    -Calm Mind
    -Boiling Water
    -Sword of Mystery
    -Hidden Power (Electric)

Kerudio is one of my favorite new Pokemon. Every time I see her, the My Little Pony theme song from the '80s just starts playing in my head. (Hence my reference to it as a she.) She's my special sweeper, using Calm Mind is her boosting move, and Boiling Water is her STAB special (which can also inflict a burn, nice). Sword of Mystery is a uniquely interesting move, as it's a special move that hits the foe's physical defense, effectively allowing her to function as a mixed sweeper. Hidden Power allows her to deal with bulky waters, which she otherwise finds very annoying.

Child of the Stars
    Jirachi @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
    -Iron Head
    -Fire Punch
    -Ice Punch
    -Grass Knot

Yes, I'm keeping a last-gen pokemon on my team, and for a good reason: he's good at what he does. I got this set off of Smogon, and it works really well, hitting 13/17 types for super-effective damage. This works well with his item, Expert Belt, which amplifies super-effective damage by 20%, allowing him to bluff a choice set. Iron head is there for a STAB with flinch hax, and the rest of the moves are there for coverage.
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 9th December 2010 at 2:00 AM.
    Captain of the 1st SS Panzer-Gross Division.