Thread: Stats and ev training in Generation 1?

Default Stats and ev training in Generation 1?

How can i get my pokemon's stats to reach their full potential in R/B/Y? What pokemon give out which evs? I wasn't aware that anything affected statistics in generation 1, i thought all pokemon were the same at lv 100. Please break this down for me, im ready to start Red over again after 10 years and need some knowledge first!

In RBY, instead of EVs, pokemon had 'stat experience'.

What this means? You can max out EVERY STAT. Yes. That's right.
    "Open your mouth too wide, and your ears close."

Do you wish you could do things like in the anime?
    Do you wish you could dodge behind a rock to avoid an attack?
    Do you wish that you could use the arena to stop your opponents cold?
    If you answered yes to any of those questions, the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League could be for you!

Awesome but how? What can i do to max out stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Jade88 View Post
    Awesome but how? What can i do to max out stats?
    Every time you defeat a Pokemon, it's base stats are added to a que of around 25600 for each stat. So just keep battling. In Red and Blue, it might have been removed in Yellow, you can continue to up the stats of level 100s by battling, depositing them in a box, and withdrawing. This being due to the game's checking and updating the Pokemon's EVs upond deposit.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

Do i need to battle specific pokemon to ev train, like in later games?

Anyone know if the box trick was removed in yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by Jade88 View Post
    Do i need to battle specific pokemon to ev train, like in later games?
    First off, turns out I miscounted. The maximum EVs you can have in a stat is in fact 65535, the usual video game calculation limit.

No, when you defeat a Pokemon, their base value in each of their stats is added to the hidden queue for that stat. For example, Mew (And every tiny event-only Pokemon after it) has base 100 in all five stats, so if you defeated 656 Mews, you Pokemon would be maximized.

I'm looking and Bulbapedia, which has extensive data mechanics sections, and I see nothing about it not being present in Yellow. I say give it a shot.

I actually heard that (Yellow's not having the trick) from Nintendo Power over a decade ago on the eve of Gold and Silver's release. Although they had no idea what was going on; they told you to fight until one of your moves ran out of PP! Which would get you some EVs!

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.