Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Zoroark: Master of Illusions (M13)

Looking back, I'm beginning to wonder if this movie's Celebi was the same Celebi from the fourth movie. Maybe it goes back in time with Sammy, and forty years later it's back in Ash's time! I would rate this movie seven out of ten because it introduced Zorua and Zoroark.

Quote Originally Posted by ZilverLox View Post
    Looking back, I'm beginning to wonder if this movie's Celebi was the same Celebi from the fourth movie. Maybe it goes back in time with Sammy, and forty years later it's back in Ash's time! I would rate this movie seven out of ten because it introduced Zorua and Zoroark.
    I don't see why it'd be the same Celebi, when we know that multiple Celebi exist in the show.

Ah, yes - the odd man out from Sinnoh. Plenty of commentary and fan material can be found for the trilogy, but almost no one I’ve encountered mentions Zoroark.

I’m not surprised. This film has the same problem as Diancie - it’s overstuffed. Having failed to capitalize on the Legendary Beasts during the Johto years, the staff worked them into this, and brought back Celebi, dumping both elements on top of a story about Zoroark and Zorua. In this case, the elements are a little more successfully connected to one another, the Beasts and Zoroark being tools of a villain after Celebi. But it’s still a densely-packed plot. Bringing the real Beasts in as a late-game cavalry feels unnecessary, especially when more satisfying options existed. The bond between Zoroark and Zorua, and the latter’s quest to find the former, is where the heart of the film lies, and it often gets lost amidst the other story machinations.

Zoroark also has similar flaws as the Sinnoh trilogy. The Legendary and Mythical Pokemon feel much less impressive than in earlier films (compare how Celebi was introduced in Zoroark to how it was introduced in 4Ever for an example.) The film often drags; IMO, this is the worst offender to-date for padding out the running time with unnecessary antics and poor directing. The CotDs serve story functions but aren’t very interesting. And the use of the main cast falls into the same sort of traps: Team Rocket may as well have been cut, the travelling companions enjoy no arc and have to settle for being a support team at best, and Ash arbitrarily saves the day in a story that isn’t really his. Though in this case, that last point isn’t true - Ash doesn’t really do anything in the finale other than carry Celebi around and act concerned. This may be his slightest role to date in these movies.

There’s also the by-now expected contrived out to get rid of any death and loss in the finale.

More than any of these films, Zoroark pushes its human villain into the limelight; Kodai gets more screen time than any of the others, or at least seems to. On paper, he’s got a lot going for him - a psychic combination of Donald Trump and Elliot Carver from Tomorrow Never Dies. But in execution, he’s just…boring. In voice and manner, he’s every tired cliche of a cackling cartoon villain, and because he gets so much more of the story’s real estate than past antagonists, his limits are more exposed. Not that someone like Giovanni has any more depth, but he’s much more judiciously used, and the trappings around him (shadowy headquarters, Bond villain-esque pet, crime lord status) lend interest. Kodai doesn’t have anything like that to prop him up.

One of Giratina’s more interesting points was Shaymin: she was a little **** shoved into a cute little body, an odd contrast that would’ve worked better had they not made her as annoying as they did. Giving a cocky, swaggering personality to a character with Zorua’s design is more predictable. But in a way, Zorua is Shaymin done right; she’s not nearly as obnoxious, and her friendship with Ash feels earned rather than being an arbitrary plot shift. It makes the fact that her story is so often lost in the shuffle all the more frustrating.

The Pokemon Baccer match as a pretext makes for a nice bit of world building outside the usual battles, contests, and festivals. The Bondian credits sequence was a nice change of pace from the usual titles followed by credits over a montage with a song. But these pleasant details, and a strong heart in Zoroark and Zorua’s relationship, can’t compensate for a weak villain, atrocious pacing, and an overstuffed plot.

I've never understood why Zorua could use telepathy and Zoroark couldn't. If one has the ability to do so then the other should as well. Zoroark could have had some epic lines about not wanting to go along with the evil plan.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112