Page 4 of 355 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Review This Song, Then Post Another

I don't know what kind of Metal that was, but I thought it was average. I'm most definitely not a metalhead, but I do like some metal albums here and there, the latest being Amorphis's Skyforger. Anyway, about that song, I liked the lyrics, but the song sounded poorly recorded to me. The music itself was ok, but nothing exceptional.

6/10

65daysofstatic - Retreat! Retreat!

For a second I thought it was going to be a live track, but obviously not. Bit of an abrupt start there, not sure If I liked it or not. I don't know if it was intentional, or done in irony, but there is far too much movement from the band members.
    The melody is really nice though, quite uplifting. I also found what sounds like the sound of sampled drums, along with real drums. Nice little break down (not sure what else to call it really) towards the end, personally I'd have built it up again rather than fading out though.
    Not bad

7/10

Warning - Footprints
    Last edited by Hammerheart; 8th January 2011 at 11:09 PM.

Pretty good, I like the dark atmosphere, the melody and the vocals, not a great fan of incredibly slow songs though; 8/10

Kamelot - The Black Halo

I haven't listened to the band properly since Epica, so it was new to me despite knowing the band. If I'm honest I'm not a fan of slow chuggy riff's in power metal like in the verses. But as Ever Roy's voice is top notch, and the chorus is rather epic, especially with the choral backing vocals. Nice Neo-Classical sounding solo, which runs nicely into the last chorus. The whole thing actually reminded me of a slightly symphonic Symphony X

I enjoyed it, but it had its weaknesses 8/10

Ceremony - Stars Fall

Quite a good song there! The mixture between the distorted guitar and voice brings up an atmosphere that both relaxes and energizes you. I think I'm now into the band.
    8/10

CSS - Move
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeconator11 View Post
    This just sent weird images through my brain.

Slalamences, Skarmory, and Ho-oh all lifting a nuke, and a Pikachu's like "Set them up the bomb, and they drop it, and BOOM goes Hoenn.

credits: BynineB -1337speon
    --if someone is still visiting this profile, you can now find me here: bootymasterjangdongwoo@tumblr--

I'll be honest, I didn't listen to the entire track. I got a minute into it and knew that it wasn't going to get any better.
    0/10

Excision & Datsik - Boom
    A̛͔̘̮̮͓̲̤͉̍̔̋̋ͯ̊͆͡s̨̻̼͖̣̮̫̙̦ͣ̓̋̍̇͌ͨ-̧̭̞̻̺̼͓̱̮͑̾̒ͪ̄̚͜S̪̺ͨͦ̉͢a̮̽ͭ͛ͧ̐͢l̶̈́ͧͣ̊̀ͤ͌͏̘a̫̎͗̎̆̉ͬ ̘͍m̷̧͔̝͖̰͖̼̀ͧ̓ȕ̡̠̪͆͊ͬ̓̀͝ ̢̙̺͆ͥA̢̻̠̖̪̎̄̊́l̛̈́̔͠͏̗̞̙̟͙̩͖ă̵̱ͤͬ̈̔̃ͤ̚y̝͔͎̌̀͆ͪ͌̌́ ̗̻͇̳̲k̴̰̰̘̯͕̦̐͢u̖̙̥̯̺̗̲̳̮̐̿̽ͫͩͫ͟͞m̡̘̰̫̓͆̔ͣ̏ͭ̂͡ ̟̟̜

Some interesting mechanical sounding synthesis going on there. Not sure I like it though. Feels a bit thin and linear sounding so far. Though the middle eastern sounding instrument that occasionally comes and goes is quite nice. I think it feels a bit sparse though.
    I can imagine it working in some sort of soundtrack, but I don't think I'd fancy listening to it again.

4/10 for being interesting.

Everly - We Belong

Good song, nothing to say 7.5/10

Alter Bridge - Ties That Bind

One of my friends loves this band, but I've never really had much time for them. I mean it's not bad, but it feels pretty formulaic for the most part. Though I have to say, the chorus seems pretty good. He definitely has a good voice. And the guitar solo seems pretty decent. Its quite heavy guitar tone wise for a rock band, almost reminds me of Firewind at times.

6/10

Agalloch - In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion

That was really rather good. At first I was reminded of Alcest, then Opeth, but it kept going and made itself something of its own. I especially loved it around the 9 minute mark with the clean vocals and what sounded like some cool effects.

8/10

Radiohead - Fitter Happier

You're my wife now!

I only like one Radiohead album but that's pretty cool actually. 7/10

Asphyx - Vermin

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Tyrant View Post
    I only like one Radiohead album but that's pretty cool actually. 7/10

Asphyx - Vermin
    7/10

Pretty good but it's too long for how little variation there is in the song, it really shouldn't be more than 3:30 tops without some kind of bridge, solo, intro etc. (or a more unorthodox song structure)

The Halo Benders: Don't Touch My Bikini

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

I'm not sure I like it really. The guitar tone seems to raw and clean, and the whole two vocalist thing isn't really working for me either. I get the impression its not a completely serious song. I had to turn it off after a couple of minutes, I found it genuinely irritating, which is unusual for me.
    really not my thing 1/10

Primordial - The Coffin Ships

Very nice build up, nice melody. I was shaking my head through the whole thing. Not such a fan of the vocals, though. They seem more like an instrument, which is actually good in its own way. Overall, I'd give it an 8/10.

Axis of Awesome - The Four Chord Song

It's not really a song, but whatever.

I suppose its quite cleverly done. But given there are are only so many combinations of chords, and then even fewer intervals that work within ourwestern harmony and what sounds right to us. I think they might have changed one or two of the keys for some of them, but entertaining none the less.

8/10 for the effort.

Black Abyss - Dark Legacy

9/10. Awesome riff-age sir, and a quite good vocalist too. Personally Power Metal is one of the subgenres of metal with which I haven't had much chemistry in the past but this song was awesome tbh. Cheers.

Now for mine, it's a local band here in Peru, they recorded the song when they were 15. The kids are huge fans of Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Annihilator and Iron Maiden. I see LOTS of potential, dunno about you:

Tanatos - Burning Skies
    Last edited by Night Avenger; 11th January 2011 at 3:05 AM.
    Thanks to Pink Skitty for the Awesome Banner!

Not bad, I hadn't heard of the band before. I feel its missing a little bit of the energy that makes a lot of thrash good. I can't complain really though, its decent enough, with some interesting riffs.

7/10

Sólstafir - Pale Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
    Not bad, I hadn't heard of the band before. I feel its missing a little bit of the energy that makes a lot of thrash good. I can't complain really though, its decent enough, with some interesting riffs.

7/10

Sólstafir - Pale Rider
    not bad, I had never heard of Solstafir before, but I'll definitely check them out

7/10

The Sorrow - Anchor in the Storm

Something about melodic death metal doesn't do it for me. I mean, there's some nice melodies and stuff, but for some reason its always left me cold. Though I have to say the chorus vocals are quite nice. Though I'm hearing a strong metal core influence.

6/10

Magic Kingdom - Symphony Of War

9/10 it sounds a like this other song, one that I can't remember the name of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLz4WBpviGo
    Hammerfall- The Templar Flame

Nice, not my favorite by them, (that goes to Hearts on Fire) but good none the less.
    I'f I'm honest I think they started to go down hill somewhat on this album. It had its amazing tracks, such as Secrets, but it had a lot of filler tracks.
    But its pretty good, if not very generic in terms of hammerfall.

8/10

Saint Deamon - My Heart

10/10 compleat awsomeness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMRoOWCfdE
    Elysion- Killing My Dreams

I kinda like them, even if I'm not in that sort of music!

7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1K-H9uAbGw

marduk world funeral

I find them to be more than a little bit bland. I mean its not terrible, but there's nothing really exciting about it. I suppose its well executed. And the production was nice and clean, though that's not always a good thing.

5/10

Reverend Bizarre - Dunkelheit [Burzum cover]

nice cover, maybe a little long but it's good though
    I am not really into burzum or reverend bizzare, but it sounds good.

6/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2O-da4hHq4

Immortal withstand the fall of time

Page 4 of 355 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast