Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Battle According to Lenora (674)

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post
    -The fact that that one guy is calling his WIFE "Mama" still freaks me out.
    Dude, come to New York. You hear that here all the time.

-Ash lost with record speed! Not that I blame him; Aloe is a bitch to beat even in the games. [SIZE="1"]How can one Miruhog and one Harderrier hit so hard. HOW.
    I'm actually glad for this. I've always sort of that this thing about seeing how the things from the games are adapted into the anime, and I'm glad that Aloe's ridiculous difficulty curve is shown here.

Also, what the hell does Mean Eye do anyways?

My final opinion: An interesting episode that would be more interesting if I had any idea what people were saying. Fortunately, I'm sure that once I read what everyone else is say, I'll find out what I want to know!
    Subs don't usually take that long to be released. Which reminds me, I should go and watch the Desumas episode subbed to know what I wasn't aware of.

I'll have to watch this soon. Even though Ash does lose, there are a few things that seem to be quite amusing. And I'm all up for that.

C_L

"I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

"But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

- Cobaltios

Quote Originally Posted by garfield15 View Post
    Dude, come to New York. You hear that here all the time.
    Nobody calls other women "mama" in New York. The closest thing is "ma" to females but that's usually said by hoodrats than cultured people.

I didn't really like the episode that much. I guess it's because it had a lot of talking, and I don't understand anything. And the gym battle was pretty short and boring.

Next episode will probably be better.

-The fact that that one guy is calling his WIFE "Mama" still freaks me out.
    Well really that seems common.

From Bublapedia in Kidachi profile

'He calls Aloe "Mama," in the way married adults will call themselves "mama" or "papa" instead of by their names.'
    Just a Fanfiction writer.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/~porky2

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt_Latios View Post
    Also, what the hell does Mean Eye do anyways?
    It's actual English name is Mean Look. And in case you still don't know what it does, it prevents a trainer from recalling their Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    Nobody calls other women "mama" in New York. The closest thing is "ma" to females but that's usually said by hoodrats than cultured people.
    Even if I live in a different state, and even if they are probably old enough to be the parents of Aloe and Kidachi, my grandparents call each other "Daddy" and "Mother" respectively even if they are married (and have no relation outside of marriage to each other).

Even though I know about it (and should be used to it), I still find it awkward to hear them call each other that. Which is why I find Kidachi just nonchalantly calling his wife "Mama" just that much awkward.

However if I'm not mistaken, B/W isn't the first time this has happened. If I remember correctly, I think one of the ranger games had this as well with one of their married couples. Still creepy though.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby2000 View Post
    Well really that seems common.

From Bublapedia in Kidachi profile

'He calls Aloe "Mama," in the way married adults will call themselves "mama" or "papa" instead of by their names.'
    I haven't seen any cases of this in real life, and I haven't noticed it happening a lot in fiction, so I maintain that this is weird! I mean, far be it from me to dictate what people call each other in private, but calling your partner mama/papa just brings disturbingly Freudian things to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dman dustin
    It's actual English name is Mean Look.
    Yes it is! Where did they get that name from, anyw...
    Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru
    -And now Mirhog used Mean Eye
    oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Teshub
    Can the thinly-veiled racism. You've toned it down a lot in the past few months, don't let it start coming back(and earning you infractions) now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Latios
    Subs don't usually take that long to be released. Which reminds me, I should go and watch the Desumas episode subbed to know what I wasn't aware of.
    Reminder to everyone: Don't talk about subbed episodes around here. It's against the rules!
    Last edited by Juputoru; 7th January 2011 at 5:45 AM.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

This was a good episode. I look forward to the training that Ash is gonna do now.

Koboar was already filled in from the start in the last episode. Other people can confirm this.
    It was colored in in BW014, now it was colored in from the start. Meaning that there would be no progression in the next episode for the opening. Meaning that there might be a new one, with Miruhog, Desumas and Yooterri being colored in.. But that's just speculation, and wishful thinking.

Stealing and switching the real meteorite for the fake one.

Satoshi wanted some help to beat Aloe and he was basically saying he was going to put him through some very tough training
    Team Rocket was epic indeed in doing so! xD

Satoshi wanted help to beat Aloe, and Don George reckonized the hardship that Aloe poses to trainers and her skills. One thing that was noted throughout the battle was the speed of which Yooterri and Miruhog moved. That's why Mijumaru and Pokabu will learn the moves they are going to learn: Aqua Jet and Nitro Charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimchar15 View Post
    These last two gym matches were better than a majority of the ones in DP. Seriously the anime cast is doing a great job. I can't wait for next week's episode. Also Teshub stop being so picky. What you dislike about the episode has more to do with you rather than the actual episode itself.
    No, they weren't. The majority of the gym battles were quite good. These two gym battles weren't that good.

Sanyou Gym: Unique idea, with spreading the gymleaders and all that, I liked that a lot. Though Pokabu beating a Fire type that has Dig with Tackle and Ember stretched it for me. Really considering the fact that Ember really does nothing when used against anything.. Yooterri rammed straight through it feeling nothing. Pikachu's loss was believable in my opinion due to Mud Sport. Mijumaru beating Yanappu was all due to the shell miraculously aka DEM (as a god given gift) returning to Mijumaru's palm due to a miraculous strategy Ash came up with using rocks as a deflective medium for Water Gun to retrieve the shell... and then beat a Grass type with a Water type move...

So yeah, the only thing I could believe about the first gym was Pikachu losing to Hiyappu, which was stretching it, considering Pikachu tieing with Latios just eight episodes prior?

The disliked the second gym battle because of the general slowness and uneventfulness:

Pokabu vs. Yooterri:
    - Pokabu can't even use Ember before..
    - Roar
    Mijumaru vs. Miruhoggu:
    - Mean Look
    - Water Gun <- Didn't hit.
    - Low Kick
    - Thunderbolt <-Deflected, but six moves in three minutes... That's too slow for me.
    - Tackle <- Didn't hit.
    - Water Gun <- Only move Ash succesfully landed..
    - Shell Blade and Slam clash <- Causes Mijumaru to lose its shell.
    - Thunderbolt
    Pokabu vs. Yooterri:
    - Tackle <- Didn't hit.
    - Shadow Ball
    - Ember <- Hits though not felt at all
    - Take Down <- Charges in through the Ember not stopping at all...

The gym battle lasted about seven minutes. Fourteen moves were used, that's two per minute.. How's that good? That's awefully slow! Mostly contributed by nonesensicle dialogue that distracts a lot, especially while there's music playing that should've been played when there was action, but at the time wasn't. Mijumaru vs. Miruhog was good, but should've been done in about 2.5 minutes, but lasted about 4.20.. What I mean with slow is that there's usually two moves used by two pokemon at the same time, resulting in action lasting about 10 seconds, and then we get dialogue upon dialogue for 50 seconds..

If it were 50/50 then I wouldn't be upset. Or if the action overall was worthwhile. Now the only thing I found appealing was Yooterri using Roar and Miruhoggu breakdancing and using Slam to counter Shell Blade. The rest was unappealing at best.

Maybe it was due to knowing how it would end, but still.. Everytime I see Pokabu use Ember I start to yawn as it does nothing. The entire animation for it is just as weak as the damage that it does do...

Quote Originally Posted by Krizor View Post
    I beg to differ.

The first 2 Gym matches in DP had a lot more going on with them with Paul battling Roark, Roark's Cranidos evolving, and Ash battling Gardenia in the forest before their official match. Not to mention Ash was also a lot more focused on training for his battles than he is now. The 2 Gym matches Ash has had in BW were pretty straight forward with very little build up, which made them a lot less exciting in my opinion.

This match was OK at best, hopefully the rematch will be a lot better.
    Cranidos didn't evolve in the gym battle.. If you're going to count the first three gym battles of DP (battle, rematch, Gardenia), then do so after Ash's rematch with Aloe, as then the number would be even. But I still don't agree with you though. Ash vs. Roark1 was better then Ash vs. Aloe1, but Ash vs. Gardenia was just kinda as uninteresting as Ash vs. Elemental Monkeys..

Looked to me more like the writers making Ash lose the battle (hence the training episode) without making his pokemon look like complete losers. I also find it interesting how some people who haven't even seen the full episode, only screenscaps, are assuring us the gym episodes are so much better than anything than was ever done in DP. Gotta love feigned demagoguery.
    He said 'majority', not 'ever done'.. There's a distinct nuance there that differentiates between not liking any, and not liking most.

Quote Originally Posted by Electivire Addict View Post
    So...how many seconds of screen time did team rocket have in this episode? 10 seconds or 30 seconds?
    They actually had quite the epic scene this time, worth to watch, moreso then the gym battle It's followed up with a epic scene of the group entering a Battle Club as well, with the earth trembling and Ash and Don George doing what looks like a Might Guy and Rock Lee pose from Naruto! xD

Ah, but you wouldn't have gotten the Sommelier discussion or the sparkles. Seriously, if it was Brock, you wouldn't have had that FABULOUS moment at all and just short things like that are all I need to separate the two.
    Short things and sparkles which Brock gets when he gets flirty with Joy? Yeah, Dento = Brock.. Dento is fabolous/gay (in the British sense of the word), Brock is straight.. Big deal..

Quote Originally Posted by hol123 View Post
    I didn't really like the episode that much. I guess it's because it had a lot of talking, and I don't understand anything. And the gym battle was pretty short and boring.

Next episode will probably be better.
    I agree.. The gym battle was short, but mostly slow and like you said, heavy on the Brock-style dialogue. His spirit lives on!
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    Short things and sparkles which Brock gets when he gets flirty with Joy? Yeah, Dento = Brock.. Dento is fabolous/gay (in the British sense of the word), Brock is straight.. Big deal..
    No, no. Brock's sparkles came because he was flirting. That's the typical bishie sparkle used for attracting girls. Dento sparkle is for no other reason than to be fabulous. And he has food puns in English. Brock is not fabulous nor does he have food puns in English.

In my opinion they were better. To me most of the Sinnoh gym battles felt weak. There was a lack of creativity. Don't get me wrong some matches like hearthome are exceptions but I didn't like what I saw. In these last two battles I saw Ash use his head a lot more which is good. I really hope he keeps it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimchar15 View Post
    In my opinion they were better. To me most of the Sinnoh gym battles felt weak. There was a lack of creativity. Don't get me wrong some matches like hearthome are exceptions but I didn't like what I saw. In these last two battles I saw Ash use his head a lot more which is good. I really hope he keeps it up.
    How did Ash use his head more in the Unova gyms so far? He acted temperamental, and the only noticeable difference is Mijumaru/Oshawott showing more personality. Besides that I don't see this mastermind Ash people are fictionalizing recently.

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    Well.....in the second Pokemon movie DUB he did say he wished his mom named him Bob instead of Ash. XDDDD but I agree. I think people should be able to call Ash Satoshi if they'd like, coz after all that is his name. (so.......can we start calling him Bob too? jk)
    I don't know if you're joking or not lol. If that really happened then wow lol.

Hey friend, Im just telling it how it is. Like gliscor&yanmega talking about how this was such a great episode just by looking at the screencaps.
    I never said it was a great episode from looking at the pictures. I said it was nice. Pictures aren't worthless, they can tell you what's going on. And besides, I did watch the video of it afterwards. If I like what I see from the pictures then it's most likely going to be even better in video format, which is the case always for me. There was nothing wrong with the episode.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    Cranidos didn't evolve in the gym battle.. If you're going to count the first three gym battles of DP (battle, rematch, Gardenia), then do so after Ash's rematch with Aloe, as then the number would be even. But I still don't agree with you though. Ash vs. Roark1 was better then Ash vs. Aloe1, but Ash vs. Gardenia was just kinda as uninteresting as Ash vs. Elemental Monkeys..
    I know Cranidos didn't evolve during the battle, I just made mention of it because it's evolution did play a role in it.

And I totally disagree that Gardenia's match was uniteresting since it had build up from the previous battle in the forest and the overall match was a lot more entertaining to me than the Sanyou City Gym battle in BW.

Ok, so I don't know if this is news or not but in Aloe's gym (in the anime) challengers must pick two Pokemon to battle with and both parties are free to switch as they please. Dent comments that 'each gym has their own way of doing things'. Dunno if the switches were causing as much hate here as on bulbagarden but just thought I'd mention it.
        Spoiler:- XY Dream:

Pokemon: Everyone has their favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabonea_Masukippa View Post
    Ok, so I don't know if this is news or not but in Aloe's gym (in the anime) challengers must pick two Pokemon to battle with and both parties are free to switch as they please. Dent comments that 'each gym has their own way of doing things'. Dunno if the switches were causing as much hate here as on bulbagarden but just thought I'd mention it.
    Oh my god, thank you. Thank you for someone else mentioning this.

This "switching" rage is what happens when people don't know what's fully going on in an episode.
    Last edited by garfield15; 7th January 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabonea_Masukippa View Post
    Really now, well this could be interesting if each gym ends up doing something different from the last.

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    I don't know if you're joking or not lol. If that really happened then wow lol.
    Yep! That did happen in the dub, I remember it well. However I did use it in a jokingly, happy-go-lucky sort of way
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Well, this was a predictable episode. I finally watched this one, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth. Well, it was nice to return to the library-portion of the Shippou City museum at the beginning of the episode. It looked like there were people in there studying. I wonder if Aloe teaches a class. I hope not. When Kidachi opened that door at the end of the library, I thought we'd see the battle field but instead, there were just more books. LOLWOTT? Dento and Aloe seemed to have a conversation while there. I think Dento introduced himself, so that must mean he didn't know her before. Oops. Anyway, it seemed that Ash had to solve a quick puzzle before the battle, which isn't something that usually happens, so I liked that little change. Ash chose a book from the bookcase near Aloe, and the staircase to the battle field was revealed. How very accurate to the in-game events. I noticed that Kidachi was still calling Aloe, "mama". That does sound really awkward. I know that it's a term of endearment, but it sounds weird. Those two are just an odd couple. Well, Aloe then talked about something involving kids choosing books, so I guess she was mentioning previous challengers or something. Whatever, I doubt it was relevant to the events that were happening. Aloe then showed Ash and friends to the battle field. Finally, geez. Was all that stuff back there, just filler material to make this episode longer? I think so! We got some neat Isshu route music as Ash got all excited about the battle. Geez Ash, don't wet yourself. Aloe then did something I hadn't expected: she put on her apron. What?! I thought for sure that she would keep it off for the battle. Whatever. Aloe then sent out Miruhoggu, which scared the living daylights out of me! I mean, look at those eyes! AHHH! Aloe then sent out her next Pokemon, a Yooterii. Wow, I thought it looked really cute, and apparently so did Iris. Iris started to pet it, and it looked happy enough. Yooterii licking Ash's face was cute. Hmm. WiseDogShipping, anyone? Haha, I'm kidding. Dento did something faaaabulous, and then Kidachi explained more about the battle. Anyway, the battle finally started, after about 10 minutes of filler talking scenes. Aloe chose to use Yooterii as her first Pokemon, but Yooterii looked really vicious at the start of the battle. Even Iris noticed and she looked shocked. God, I hope that for Ash's sake, that dog had its rabies shots. Ash sent out Pokabu as his first Pokemon. That choice wasn't my personal favorite though, but whatever.; I learned to live with it. Just as Ash was going to have Pokabu use Ember, Aloe's Yooterii used Roar attack. Haha, I guess its bark was worse than its bite. Anyway, that attack sent Pokabu back into its Pokeball and Mijumaru was sent out! Yessssss! It looked so cute since it had apparently been sleeping. It started freaking out when it realized that it was no longer safe inside of its Pokeball. Haha, Mijumaru never gets old.

Aloe then did something strange: she recalled Yooterii. What what what?! Since when are Gym Leaders allowed to recall Pokemon? I thought that one of the rules was that they couldn't, and only the challenger could. Cheater! Aloe sent out Miruhoggu, and even Mijumaru seemed to dislike the beast haha. Ash was going to recall it, but Miruhoggu used Mean Look. Fudge! I guess Aloe knows her strategies. Mijumaru looked pissed though haha. It used Water Gun on Miruhoggu, but that didn't work and it just got hit by Low Kick. Wow, that thing was fast. Mijumaru was angry, and it finally got serious. Miruhoggu used Thunderbolt, but Mijumaru deflected it with its shell. Yay! Aloe looked stunned, but I still knew she was a real challenge. Mijumaru managed to hit Miruhoggu with Water Gun and was going to follow it with Shell Blade, but Miruhoggu countered it with its tail. Shoot. Mijumaru's shell went flying, and without it, it couldn't deflect the next Thunderbolt attack and it lost. What?! Mijumaru needs more victories! Aloe recalled Miruhoggu (cheater!) and sent Yooterii out as Ash sent out Pokabu. Pokabu tried to attack, but it missed. Yooterii was just too fast and it used Shadow Ball, which hurt Pokabu. Oh come on. Pokabu then used Ember against Yooterii, but the Yooterii used Take Down and it managed to run through the fire and hit Pokabu. Then, quite predictably, Pokabu fainted. Aloe (the cheater) won the battle then. Well, at least Ash thanked Aloe for the battle. That was nice. Ash was then seen at the Shippou City Pokemon Center, feeling sorry for himself after his loss. Iris and Dento tried to cheer him up though. Ash started getting mad though. Jeez, he could be a little nicer to his only friends in the Isshu region. Nurse Joy appeared then with Pokabu and Mijumaru. Nurse Joy then seemed to recommend that Ash train at the Battle Club. You know, because it's so obviously her business. Anyway, that night, Team Rocket started putting their plan into action. Jessie and Meowth broke into the museum and they quickly switched the meteorite with a fake right after James turned off the security lasers for a few seconds. That was smooth, but I still dislike the new serious Team Rocket. I noticed cars on the road when they were leaving though; that was a nice touch. We don't usually get cars in this anime. Anyway, in the morning Ash and friends went to the Battle Club to talk to the town's Don George. Ash seemed to tell him the entire story about the Gym battle, and Don George agreed to help Ash train there in the Battle Club. It sure looked mighty intense as the door in the facility opened, but I'm sure that Ash will manage to get his training done. One thing is certain: you're not gonna reach his telephone, 'cause he's out in the club, sippin' that bub. Anyway, I knew Ash would lose, but I liked that he set his sights on training before this episode ended. That's why I'm giving this Gym battle episode, a nice 8/10. It was entertaining enough. Stay faaaabulous~
    Last edited by Lorde; 8th January 2011 at 9:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    Aloe then did something strange: she recalled Yooterii. What what what?! Since when are Gym Leaders allowed to recall Pokemon? I thought that one of the rules was that they couldn't, and only the challenger could. Cheater!
    Come on Kira, did you read Sabonea_Masukippa's post above?
    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    Quick Attack.
    That was Low Kick actually.

Aloe then sent out Miruhoggu, which scared the living daylights out of me! I mean, look (Coincidence? I think not!) at those eyes! AHHH!

"Haha, I guess its bark was worse than its bite."

Hahaha, nice one!

"Haha, Mijumaru never gets old."

True that

"Nurse Joy then seemed to recommend that Ash train at the Battle Club. You know, because it's so obviously her business."

She was just being nice, GOSH! :P

"I noticed cars on the road when they were leaving though; that was a nice touch. We don't usually get cars in this anime."

There were police cars like 5 episodes ago, then another one 4 episodes before that

I feel something bad coming this way, my spidey sense are tingling.

"It sure looked mighty intense as the door in the facility opened,"

It's coming soon.

"but I'm sure that Ash will manage to get his training done."

Almost here.

"One thing is certain: you're not gonna reach his telephone, 'cause he's in the club, sippin' that bub."
    Oh dear lord -___-'

Honestly Gym leaders have switched before, i don't think it's a rule, maybe some are just laid back and choose to let them selves switch for once, like Aloe.

I thought it was a good episode, the battle was boring, but the rest was good. I'll do my good and bad thoughts later.
    Last edited by playerking; 8th January 2011 at 9:17 AM.

Bonnie: Hey, Clauncher, could you do me a favour and marry my brother?
    Clauncher: What? I can understand the old man's senility, but this is just annoying.

Bonnie: Come on, Dedenne! I want that Gym Badge!
    Clauncher: If only this wasn't a kids show.
    3DS FC: 1891 1376 6990. Add me. Wii U Nintendo Network ID: Playerking.

I'm amazed that it never occurred to Ash that he has an Infernape he can use to breeze through this Gym Battle.

Quote Originally Posted by AzzyFox View Post
    I'm amazed that it never occurred to Ash that he has an Infernape he can use to breeze through this Gym Battle.
    You're not serious are you?

Tepig is adorable. I may continue to watch this just to see how he develops. It's a shame Oshawott has become the series' favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    Yep! That did happen in the dub, I remember it well. However I did use it in a jokingly, happy-go-lucky sort of way
    Lol, well that's odd, it's just the dub though, but still, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AzzyFox View Post
    I'm amazed that it never occurred to some people that being a Pokemon Master needs to use different Pokemon through out...

Ash wants to be a Pokemon Master, you can't be one by using just one Pokemon.

Ash always does this.

Also, Infernape isn't invincible, it would probably lose in a gym at some point.

Don't try and make Ash seem like a complete idiot since he's not.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast